• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
French provinces have defected to non-French countries in all of my games, and there's more then 10 of them by now. French Wars of Religion worked great in EU2, but they simply don't work well with FtG's reduced defection time.

I did not realize that defection time was reduced. (I actually just checked in defines.txt to see what it was... and it wasn't there. That is an oversight that needs to be fixed.)

FRAnce cores at scenario start

I noticed that in the 1419 and 1520 scenario France has cores it should gain only later with events.

In the 1520 scenario FRA has a core on Roussillon (426) that it gains by event 12062 in year 1635.

In the 1419 scenario the doomed HYW-FRA has the same core on Roussillon and cores on Bearn (425), Gascogne (424) and Calais (382). There are several events that give the later Dauphine turned FRA cores on Gascogne and Calais.

I suggest to remove the starting core for Roussillon (426) in the 1520 scenario for France and to change the 1419 starting cores for the old FRA in
1419_FRA_France.inc and then to add the core for Bearn/Foix/northern Navarra later.

Code:
nationalprovinces = {
		376 379 380 [color=red]382[/color] 383 384 385 386 407 408 409 410 411 412 413 417
		418 419 420 421 422 423 [color=red]424 425 426[/color]
	}

Code:
#(1512-1516) The War of Navarre
#by Fodoron
event = {
	id = 170012 #triggered by NAV_241029 B
	random = no
	country = FRA
	name = "EVENTNAME170012" #The war of Navarre
	desc = "EVENTHIST170012"
	#-#After the death of Gaston of Foix, Duke of Nemours, at the battle of Ravenna, his claim to the crown of Navarre was ironically inherited by Fernando the Catholic, whose troops killed him, as Fernando was married to his sister Germaine de Foix. The Kings of Navarre felt justly threatened as the little Kingdom was a source of disputes between France and Spain for its strategic position. In the context of the wars of Italy, Spain and England were preparing the invasion of France across the Pyrenees, and Fernando requested guarantees of neutrality from Navarre. Catherine and Jean d'Albret, Kings of Navarre, entered an alliance with Louis XII at Blois in 1512. Fernando found out about the secret alliance, and quickly invaded Navarre, conquering all the Kingdom South of the Pyrenees before the summer was over. The Kings of Navarre placed themselves in the hands of France too late to gain her from Spain.

action_a = {
		name = "ACTIONNAME170012A" #Navarra is under attack
		command = { type = vassal which = NAV }
		command = { type = relation which = NAV value = 150 }
                [color=yellow]command = { type = addcore_claim which = 425 } #Bearn Foix Northern Navarra[/color]
		command = { type = trigger which = 241030 } #NAV: The Gramont Resistance
	}
}
#(1512) The War of Navarre
#by Fodoron
event = {
	id = 170157 #triggered by SPA_285042
	random = no
	country = FRA
	name = "EVENTNAME170157" #The war of Navarre
	desc = "EVENTHIST285042"
	#-#The alliance of Jean d'Albret and Louis XII of France in the context of the wars of Italy, precipitated the Spanish invasion of Navarre. The Beaumonts supported the invasion, and surrendered Pamplona to the Old Duke of Alba. The Gramonts were quickly overrun. The French armies under command of the Dauphin made numerous mistakes, ignoring the requests of Jean d'Albret, using the Navarrans and Gascoigners to lead the assaults and abusing the local population. The siege of Pamplona was a complete failure, and with the arrival of the winter they suffered grave loses, retreating back to France in a difficult march across the Pyrenees. By the spring of 1513, the Spaniards had resisted the French attack in the Basque region and were the masters of Navarre. That year, Fernando was crowned King of Navarre, and in 1515, he surprisingly decided to incorporate Navarre to the Kingdom of Castile.

action_a = {
		name = "ACTIONNAME170157A" #But we still want Navarre
		command = { type = relation which = SPA value = -50 }
		command = { type = casusbelli which = SPA value = 60 }
                [color=yellow]command = { type = addcore_claim which = 425 } #Bearn Foix Northern Navarra[/color]
	}
}

Last edited:
I noticed that in the 1419 and 1520 scenario France has cores it should gain only later with events.

In the 1520 scenario FRA has a core on Roussillon (426) that it gains by event 12062 in year 1635.

In the 1419 scenario the doomed HYW-FRA has the same core on Roussillon and cores on Bearn (425), Gascogne (424) and Calais (382). There are several events that give the later Dauphine turned FRA cores on Gascogne and Calais.

I suggest to remove the starting core for Roussillon (426) in the 1520 scenario for France and to change the 1419 starting cores for the old FRA in
1419_FRA_France.inc and then to add the core for Bearn/Foix/northern Navarra later.

Code:
nationalprovinces = {
		376 379 380 [color=red]382[/color] 383 384 385 386 407 408 409 410 411 412 413 417
		418 419 420 421 422 423 [color=red]424 425 426[/color]
	}

Code:
#(1512-1516) The War of Navarre
#by Fodoron
event = {
	id = 170012 #triggered by NAV_241029 B
	random = no
	country = FRA
	name = "EVENTNAME170012" #The war of Navarre
	desc = "EVENTHIST170012"
	#-#After the death of Gaston of Foix, Duke of Nemours, at the battle of Ravenna, his claim to the crown of Navarre was ironically inherited by Fernando the Catholic, whose troops killed him, as Fernando was married to his sister Germaine de Foix. The Kings of Navarre felt justly threatened as the little Kingdom was a source of disputes between France and Spain for its strategic position. In the context of the wars of Italy, Spain and England were preparing the invasion of France across the Pyrenees, and Fernando requested guarantees of neutrality from Navarre. Catherine and Jean d'Albret, Kings of Navarre, entered an alliance with Louis XII at Blois in 1512. Fernando found out about the secret alliance, and quickly invaded Navarre, conquering all the Kingdom South of the Pyrenees before the summer was over. The Kings of Navarre placed themselves in the hands of France too late to gain her from Spain.

action_a = {
		name = "ACTIONNAME170012A" #Navarra is under attack
		command = { type = vassal which = NAV }
		command = { type = relation which = NAV value = 150 }
		command = { type = trigger which = 241030 } #NAV: The Gramont Resistance
	}
}
#(1512) The War of Navarre
#by Fodoron
event = {
	id = 170157 #triggered by SPA_285042
	random = no
	country = FRA
	name = "EVENTNAME170157" #The war of Navarre
	desc = "EVENTHIST285042"
	#-#The alliance of Jean d'Albret and Louis XII of France in the context of the wars of Italy, precipitated the Spanish invasion of Navarre. The Beaumonts supported the invasion, and surrendered Pamplona to the Old Duke of Alba. The Gramonts were quickly overrun. The French armies under command of the Dauphin made numerous mistakes, ignoring the requests of Jean d'Albret, using the Navarrans and Gascoigners to lead the assaults and abusing the local population. The siege of Pamplona was a complete failure, and with the arrival of the winter they suffered grave loses, retreating back to France in a difficult march across the Pyrenees. By the spring of 1513, the Spaniards had resisted the French attack in the Basque region and were the masters of Navarre. That year, Fernando was crowned King of Navarre, and in 1515, he surprisingly decided to incorporate Navarre to the Kingdom of Castile.

action_a = {
		name = "ACTIONNAME170157A" #But we still want Navarre
		command = { type = relation which = SPA value = -50 }
		command = { type = casusbelli which = SPA value = 60 }
	}
}

explain why FRA..........if its "old" FRA , then core is so that FRA and DAU do not form an alliance.

HYW FRA to me, means the FRA that is formed from DAU

explain why FRA..........if its "old" FRA , then core is so that FRA and DAU do not form an alliance.

I do not understand what you mean here. The FRA in 1419 has lots of cores on lands owned by the Dauphine. Why should it make a difference in their relations if FRA has cores on Gascogne/Calais (owned by ENG in 1419), Roussillon (owned by Aragon) and Foix (owned by Foix)?

HYW FRA to me, means the FRA that is formed from DAU

With HYW FRA I meant the FRA that exists at the start of the Grand Campaign 1419 . The old FRA north of the Dauphine lands.

I do not understand what you mean here. The FRA in 1419 has lots of cores on lands owned by the Dauphine. Why should it make a difference in their relations if FRA has cores on Gascogne/Calais (owned by ENG in 1419), Roussillon (owned by Aragon) and Foix (owned by Foix)?

With HYW FRA I meant the FRA that exists at the start of the Grand Campaign 1419 . The old FRA north of the Dauphine lands.

Alright, as per your way....HYW FRA has cores on DAU lands to stop any alliance forming between these nations.

Its a bit confusing your way as DAU becomes HYW FRA after 1st HYW FRA disappears

Alright, as per your way....HYW FRA has cores on DAU lands to stop any alliance forming between these nations.

Its a bit confusing your way as DAU becomes HYW FRA after 1st HYW FRA disappears

If that is your reason - then what is the problem? 1419 FRA has cores on all the 1419 DAU lands. So if the reason is to not have them ally by FRA having cores on DAU - that´s achvied before and with my suggestions.

The cores that I suggest to remove are not held by DAU or FRA - so they don´t change anything regarding FRA and DAU allying or their relations to each other.

Event FRA 3127

The chambers of reunion should be opened when a strong France that has already united all of it´s national cores tries to expand into the HRE.

countrysize = 10 does not reflect a powerful FRA.
When I look at the start of the 1648 scenario FRA owns 26 (3 breton) provinces in european France. If FRA should be smaller - then it should concentrate on uniting it´s french provinces before trying to conquer others.

The triggered events alert the effected other states - but if someone else ahistorically is emperor the relations to him should be lowered too.

I suggest the following changes:

Code:
#(1676-1681) Chambers of Reunion
#modified by De-Villars with the help of YodaMaster
event = {
	id = 3127
	trigger = {
		countrysize = [color=red]10[/color][color=yellow]23
                stability = 0 #0 or higher not too much internal unrest
                OR = {
		        	control = { province = 382 data = -1 } #Calais
			        control = { province = 383 data = -1 } #Picardie border to Flanders
			        control = { province = 376  data = -1 } #Champagne border to Lorraine and Luxemburg
                           }[/color]
	                 }
	random = no
	country = FRA
	name = "EVENTNAME3127" #Chambers of Reunion
	desc = "EVENTHIST3127"
	#-#Aiming at European hegemony and the rounding of French frontiers in the North and in the East (to the Rhine), Louis XIV had established the Chambers of Reunion, courts that advanced claimed to Imperial territories. These expansionist policies were at first tolerated by France powerless neighbors. It reached its climax in 1681, with the annexation of the free city of Strasbourg in Alsace and the 1684 occupation of Luxembourg. The reunion were recognized by the Empire in the 1684 Truce of Regensburg, mostly because the Emperor was preoccupied by the Turkish menace (siege of Vienna in 1683) and this led to the creation of the anti-French League of Augsburg (1686)

date = { day = 1 month = january year = 1676 }
	offset = 30
	deathdate = { day = 1 month = january year = 1681 }

action_a = {
		name = "ACTIONNAME3127A" #Make the Claim
		command = { type = addcore which = 406 } #Provence (in case of no FRA_170073 A)
		command = { type = addcore which = 340 } #Zeeland
		command = { type = addcore which = 344 } #Köln
		command = { type = addcore which = 345 } #Pfalz
		command = { type = addcore which = 374 } #Alsace
		command = { type = addcore which = 375 } #Lorraine
		command = { type = addcore which = 377 } #Luxembourg
		command = { type = addcore which = 378 } #Brabant
		command = { type = addcore which = 379 } #Artois
		command = { type = addcore which = 380 } #Flandern
		command = { type = addcore which = 387 } #Franche-Comté
		command = { type = addcore which = 426 } #Roussillon (in case of no FRA_12062 A)
		command = { type = badboy value = 5 } #BB added
		command = { type = trigger which = 3172 } #SPA: France opens Chambers of Reunion
		command = { type = trigger which = 3030 } #ENG: The League of Augsburg
		command = { type = trigger which = 3198 } #HAB: The League of Augsburg
		command = { type = trigger which = 3522 } #BRA: The League of Augsburg
		command = { type = trigger which = 3510 } #HOL: The League of Augsburg
		command = { type = trigger which = 3680 } #BAD: The League of Augsburg
		command = { type = trigger which = 3611 } #HAN: The League of Augsburg
		command = { type = trigger which = 3684 } #HES: The League of Augsburg
		command = { type = trigger which = 3676 } #KLE: The League of Augsburg
		command = { type = trigger which = 3663 } #KOL: The League of Augsburg
		command = { type = trigger which = 3664 } #PFA: The League of Augsburg
		#command = { type = trigger which = 3662 } #THU: The League of Augsburg
		command = { type = trigger which = 366113 } #GER: The League of Augsburg
           	[color=yellow]command = { type = relation which = -6  value = -100 } #Emperor [/color]
	}
	action_b = {
		name = "ACTIONNAME3127B" #Let the matter fall
		command = { type = relation which = SPA value = 100 }
		command = { type = relation which = HAB value = 100 }
		command = { type = relation which = ENG value = 100 }
		command = { type = relation which = HOL value = 100 }
		command = { type = relation which = GER value = 100 }
		command = { type = stability value = 1 }
		command = { type = DIP which = -3 value = 120 }
		command = { type = MIL which = -3 value = 120 }
		command = { type = ADM which = -3 value = 120 }
		command = { type = vp value = -10 }
	}
}

Last edited:
If that is your reason - then what is the problem? 1419 FRA has cores on all the 1419 DAU lands. So if the reason is to not have them ally by FRA having cores on DAU - that´s achvied before and with my suggestions.

The cores that I suggest to remove are not held by DAU or FRA - so they don´t change anything regarding FRA and DAU allying or their relations to each other.

Toio you did not yet answer to my last post about the cores of 1419 FRA.
As the submission was paused:
"Submissions 12, 16 & 22 were not included as it appears they are still up for discussion"
we would need to know if you agree to the change after my last post or still have reservations about that?

Toio you did not yet answer to my last post about the cores of 1419 FRA.
As the submission was paused:
"Submissions 12, 16 & 22 were not included as it appears they are still up for discussion"
we would need to know if you agree to the change after my last post or still have reservations about that?

in 1419 , there is DAU and FRA . ..........should they have cores on each others lands ?

FRA usually gets annexed by ENG , but it should never get annexed by DAU if it means that DAU instantly become FRA. There where many lords ( AGCEEP used to have these seperate nations ) , that claimed the french crown. Why should DAU get an easier path to claim FRA before joan D'Arc arrives?

The only nation which should have cores at the start in france ( which are french states) would be FRA. The others like DAU, BRI , LOR , SAV and any other ( if we resurrect the auverage, orleans etc etc nations ) should gain these cores overtime or certain disapperances of states

Sorry for delay, I am doing/studying Dna haplotype genetics on ancient people

in 1419 , there is DAU and FRA . ..........should they have cores on each others lands ?

That is not the question at hand. My suggestion is to remove the 1419 FRA cores on provinces NOT owned by DAU or FRA as in post 23 (e.g. Roussillon that should not be tried to be conquered at 1419).

FRA usually gets annexed by ENG , but it should never get annexed by DAU if it means that DAU instantly become FRA. There where many lords ( AGCEEP used to have these seperate nations ) , that claimed the french crown. Why should DAU get an easier path to claim FRA before joan D'Arc arrives?

That has nothing to do with the suggestion about the cores.

Does anyone remember why the counties and duchies of France (Bourbon, Auvergne, Orleans) were removed? I'm currently adapting AGCEEP to WATKABAOI map and was thinking of reinstating them, along with Armagnac. Might anyone still have an old AGCEEP version with these factions? Their event files would be handy.

That is not the question at hand. My suggestion is to remove the 1419 FRA cores on provinces NOT owned by DAU or FRA as in post 23 (e.g. Roussillon that should not be tried to be conquered at 1419).

I see what you mean. I fully support removing starting 1419 FRA cores from Bearn, Calais and Roussilion at least.
The chambers of reunion should be opened when a strong France that has already united all of it´s national cores tries to expand into the HRE.

countrysize = 10 does not reflect a powerful FRA.
When I look at the start of the 1648 scenario FRA owns 26 (3 breton) provinces in european France. If FRA should be smaller - then it should concentrate on uniting it´s french provinces before trying to conquer others.

The triggered events alert the effected other states - but if someone else ahistorically is emperor the relations to him should be lowered too.

I suggest the following changes:

Code:
#(1676-1681) Chambers of Reunion
#modified by De-Villars with the help of YodaMaster
event = {
	id = 3127
	trigger = {
		countrysize = [color=red]10[/color][color=yellow]23
                stability = 0 #0 or higher not too much internal unrest
                OR = {
		        	control = { province = 382 data = -1 } #Calais
			        control = { province = 383 data = -1 } #Picardie border to Flanders
			        control = { province = 376  data = -1 } #Champagne border to Lorraine and Luxemburg
                           }[/color]
	                 }
	random = no
	country = FRA
	name = "EVENTNAME3127" #Chambers of Reunion
	desc = "EVENTHIST3127"
	#-#Aiming at European hegemony and the rounding of French frontiers in the North and in the East (to the Rhine), Louis XIV had established the Chambers of Reunion, courts that advanced claimed to Imperial territories. These expansionist policies were at first tolerated by France powerless neighbors. It reached its climax in 1681, with the annexation of the free city of Strasbourg in Alsace and the 1684 occupation of Luxembourg. The reunion were recognized by the Empire in the 1684 Truce of Regensburg, mostly because the Emperor was preoccupied by the Turkish menace (siege of Vienna in 1683) and this led to the creation of the anti-French League of Augsburg (1686)

date = { day = 1 month = january year = 1676 }
	offset = 30
	deathdate = { day = 1 month = january year = 1681 }

action_a = {
		name = "ACTIONNAME3127A" #Make the Claim
		command = { type = addcore which = 406 } #Provence (in case of no FRA_170073 A)
		command = { type = addcore which = 340 } #Zeeland
		command = { type = addcore which = 344 } #Köln
		command = { type = addcore which = 345 } #Pfalz
		command = { type = addcore which = 374 } #Alsace
		command = { type = addcore which = 375 } #Lorraine
		command = { type = addcore which = 377 } #Luxembourg
		command = { type = addcore which = 378 } #Brabant
		command = { type = addcore which = 379 } #Artois
		command = { type = addcore which = 380 } #Flandern
		command = { type = addcore which = 387 } #Franche-Comté
		command = { type = addcore which = 426 } #Roussillon (in case of no FRA_12062 A)
		command = { type = badboy value = 5 } #BB added
		command = { type = trigger which = 3172 } #SPA: France opens Chambers of Reunion
		command = { type = trigger which = 3030 } #ENG: The League of Augsburg
		command = { type = trigger which = 3198 } #HAB: The League of Augsburg
		command = { type = trigger which = 3522 } #BRA: The League of Augsburg
		command = { type = trigger which = 3510 } #HOL: The League of Augsburg
		command = { type = trigger which = 3680 } #BAD: The League of Augsburg
		command = { type = trigger which = 3611 } #HAN: The League of Augsburg
		command = { type = trigger which = 3684 } #HES: The League of Augsburg
		command = { type = trigger which = 3676 } #KLE: The League of Augsburg
		command = { type = trigger which = 3663 } #KOL: The League of Augsburg
		command = { type = trigger which = 3664 } #PFA: The League of Augsburg
		#command = { type = trigger which = 3662 } #THU: The League of Augsburg
		command = { type = trigger which = 366113 } #GER: The League of Augsburg
           	[color=yellow]command = { type = relation which = -6  value = -100 } #Emperor [/color]
	}
	action_b = {
		name = "ACTIONNAME3127B" #Let the matter fall
		command = { type = relation which = SPA value = 100 }
		command = { type = relation which = HAB value = 100 }
		command = { type = relation which = ENG value = 100 }
		command = { type = relation which = HOL value = 100 }
		command = { type = relation which = GER value = 100 }
		command = { type = stability value = 1 }
		command = { type = DIP which = -3 value = 120 }
		command = { type = MIL which = -3 value = 120 }
		command = { type = ADM which = -3 value = 120 }
		command = { type = vp value = -10 }
	}
}
Looks good, but I think we should provide for the not-so-rare possibility of France owning Artois, Fandres and whatnot in the Low countries, without France owning Picardie and Calais (held by the english for example). Such a situation happened in my Sweden game as of late without me as a human player being involved with France, England or that region alltogeather.

I also think that while 10 provinces is indeed too few, 23 seems to be a bit too many. I think 20 would really be enough to allow some room for random ahistorical deviation. (Spanish capturing some province in the south, English holding Calais etc).

Last edited:
I see what you mean. I fully support removing starting 1419 FRA cores from Bearn, Calais and Roussilion at least.

Then I´ll submit that part.

Looks good, but I think we should provide for the not-so-rare possibility of France owning Artois, Fandres and whatnot in the Low countries, without France owning Picardie and Calais (held by the english for example). Such a situation happened in my Sweden game as of late without me as a human player being involved with France, England or that region alltogeather.

I used an OR trigger. So France needs to control Calais OR Picardie OR Champagne. One of the is sufficient to justify expanding northeastward. Lacking all 3 and France should concentrate on gaining the cores it has on french lands before gaining more cores at distant borders.

I also think that while 10 provinces is indeed too few, 23 seems to be a bit too many. I think 20 would really be enough to allow some room for random ahistorical deviation. (Spanish capturing some province in the south, English holding Calais etc).

France in it´s historical borders would have control of *26* provinces of our map in europe when claiming the additional cores. Controlling 23 would still be a powerful France. Controlling 20 - or rather having lost *6 core provinces of France* - should deny further conquest before they control their own homeland.
As the event can trigger for 5 years they have some time to gain those provinces if they have lost them.

Then I´ll submit that part.
By all means submit it, just make sure via a playtest that FRA played by ai will get those cores via events later on.

I used an OR trigger. So France needs to control Calais OR Picardie OR Champagne. One of the is sufficient to justify expanding northeastward. Lacking all 3 and France should concentrate on gaining the cores it has on french lands before gaining more cores at distant borders.

Right, I missed the OR part, it makes perfect sense now.

Does anyone remember why the counties and duchies of France (Bourbon, Auvergne, Orleans) were removed? I'm currently adapting AGCEEP to WATKABAOI map and was thinking of reinstating them, along with Armagnac. Might anyone still have an old AGCEEP version with these factions? Their event files would be handy.

They where removed to make france appear easier ( although I never had a issue with this ) , and lack of tags.

I would be happy with their re introduction

I thought it was because they didn't have independent foreign policies.

That and the fact that they relied heavily upon the royal treasury for their finances, not mentioning that the dukes of Orléans and Bourbon were members of the French "governement", not really vassals in EU2 game-terms.

I was recently playing a playtes with England for my own reasons and I observed Hugenotes forming in France somewhere in the early 1550s. Waht struck me, wa sthat Maine and one other province were of the Reformed religion, but the Hugenotes did not get a core on those (at the same time, they had cores on Dauphine, which was catholic.)

I would suggest an event taht would check wether or not The Hugenotes as a country exist, and wether a certain French province is of the reformed religion. If it is, the Hugenotes should get a free core on it. I'm sure this sort of solution would add to historical plausibility.

That wasn't possible before, but now with command triggers it is. I'll leave it to the experts to decide plausibility, of course.