• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Best AAR, Overall - Empire of Fu Manchu by The Yogi

Best AAR, HOI2/1 - Empire of Fu Manchu by The Yogi
Best Narrative AAR, HOI2/1 - Empire of Fu Manchu by The Yogi

Best AAR, EU2/1 - Here There Be Dragons by Director
Best Narrative AAR, EU2/1 - Eagles of Avalon by Mettermrck

Best AAR, Vicky - The Danish Revival by Fiftypence
Best Narrative AAR, Vicky - The Danish Revival by Fiftypence
Best AAR, CK - Knights Of The Western Empire By The Yogi
Best Narrative AAR, CK - Knights Of The Western Empire By The Yogi

Best Graphics, Overall - Doomed From The StAArt by Wolfhound

Last edited:
kenneththegreat said:
I'd qualify the 2 last posts as 2 whole votes, as voting for one AAR in 5 categories is pure ballot stuffing.
Well, I would say that you CAN vote for an AAR in more than one category IF IT QUALIFIES...

But I don't recall any portion of Magyar whatsitsname that was narrative (i.e. a fiction story). It's a magnificent history-book story, though.

Rensslaer

Rensslaer said:
Well, I would say that you CAN vote for an AAR in more than one category IF IT QUALIFIES...

But I don't recall any portion of Magyar whatsitsname that was narrative (i.e. a fiction story). It's a magnificent history-book story, though.

Rensslaer

But...5 votes for the same AAR. An AAR that dosen't vaguely attempt to be humorous nor narrative.

As far as I understand my AAR (Mare Nostrum... an Italian 1936 AAR) is not even eligible for voting, since first post was after January 1st 2006 (or is it me that is mistaken?). So we probably don't need to worry about the 5 votes by tp640871. However, it of course creates some hope of getting a nice place in the 2006 Q1 rating :p Below you find my own rating (subject to possible later updating):

Best history book AAR: Enig og tro til Dovre faller* – A Norwegian AAR, Lord E
Best graphics AAR: Oranje Verzet's: The Iron Cross" - WW2 DocumentAARy

Why so few scores :confused: , well I am too busy writing my own AAR to read all those fantastic AARs out there ;) Perfect initiative... must admit I am looking forward to Q1 2006 rating :D

Best AAR, HOI2/1 - "The Iron Cross" - WW2 DocumentAARy - Oranje Verzet
Best Comedy AAR, HOI2/1 - Secrets of the AARk - Anonymous4401
Best Narrative AAR, HOI2/1 - X-com: fighting 'the riders of the Apocalypse' - Singleton Mosby

Best Comedy AAR, EU2/1 - P is for Portugal - Farquharson
Best Narrative AAR, EU2/1 - The Hussite Lament - Hajji Giray I

Best Comedy AAR, CK - Missing That One Final Screw - A Bavarian Pre/Sequel - Rocketman

Best Graphics, Overall - "The Iron Cross" - WW2 DocumentAARy - Oranje Verzet

Last edited:
kenneththegreat said:
I'd qualify the 2 last posts as 2 whole votes, as voting for one AAR in 5 categories is pure ballot stuffing.

Seconded....

Best AAR, Overall - Eagles of Avalon by Mettermrck

Best AAR, HOI2/1 - The Third Empire by cthulhu
Best Narrative AAR, HOI2/1 - The Third Empire by cthulhu

Best AAR, EU2/1 - Eagles of Avalon by Mettermrck
Best Narrative AAR, EU2/1 - Eagles of Avalon by Mettermrck
Best Historical AAR, EU2/1 - Eagles of Avalon by Mettermrck

Best AAR, CK - Carmina Tolosarum, by Lucius Sulla
Best Historical AAR, CK - Carmina Tolosarum, by Lucius Sulla

Big Mac said:
Best AAR, Overall - HOI2 AAR: A Magyar Királyság újjászületése - a Hungarian AAR

Best AAR, HOI2/1 - HOI2 AAR: A Magyar Királyság újjászületése - a Hungarian AAR

Best Narrative AAR, HOI2/1: A Magyar Királyság újjászületése - a Hungarian AAR

Best History-Book AAR - HOI2 AAR: A Magyar Királyság újjászületése - a Hungarian AAR

Best Non-Fanfic AAR, HOI2/1: A Magyar Királyság újjászületése - a Hungarian AAR

Big Mac, I really appreciate your vote, and moral support, but I agree with Rensslaer and kenneththegreat on this: the AAR is definitely not a comedy or narrative AAR, so it does not qualify in these categories. Votes for my AAR in these categories just makes this Award thing a bit airy...

Btw, guys, what's the deadline for voting? I have to do some more reading before I submit my votes...

Deadline is March 7

Singleton Mosby said:
Seconded....

Thank you!

hobotnicajoe said:
Big Mac, I really appreciate your vote, and moral support, but I agree with Rensslaer and kenneththegreat on this: the AAR is definitely not a comedy or narrative AAR, so it does not qualify in these categories. Votes for my AAR in these categories just makes this Award thing a bit airy...

Always nice to see honest writAARs.

Best AAR, Overall - The Eagle and the Lion by The Yogi

Best AAR, HOI2/1 - Empire of Fu Manchu by The Yogi
Best Narrative AAR, HOI2/1 - The Third Empire by cthulhu
Best Historical AAR, HOI2/1 - 1914-1924, British Interests by Allenby

Best AAR, EU2/1 - Resurrection: Rebirth of the United States by CatKnight
Best Narrative AAR, EU2/1 - The Eternal City by Judas Maccabeus
Best Historical AAR, EU2/1 - Rome: Sons of Mars by Alhazen

Best AAR, CK - Sins of the Fathers by Alhazen
Best AAR, Vicky - Best Narrative AAR, Vicky - Fire Warms the Northern Lands by Renssalaer
Best Narrative AAR, Vicky - Fire Warms the Northern Lands by Renssalaer
Best Historical AAR, CK - A Saxon Imperial Dream by Veldmaarschalk

Last edited:
Okay... This is a huge undertaking, but I am glad so many have gone all the way, and also glad that those who couldn't have voted for what they can!

Best AAR, Overall - Sins of the Father, by Alhazen
Best Graphics, Overall - Will provide this vote later... more research!

Best AAR, HOI2/1 - The Eagle and the Lion
Best Non-Fanfic AAR, HOI2/1 - Magyar
Best Comedy AAR, HOI2/1 - Secrets AARk
Best History-Book AAR, HOI2/1 - Prussian Moderation
Best Narrative AAR, HOI2/1 - King & Country

Best AAR, EU2/1 - Resurrection & Rebirth
Best Non-Fanfic AAR, EU2/1 - Habsburg Europe
Best Comedy AAR, EU2/1 - Annexing My New Kingdom
Best History-Book AAR, EU2/1 - Eagles of Avalon
Best Narrative AAR, EU2/1 - In Memory of France

Best AAR, Vicky/CK - Sins of the Father (if Vicky counted separately, add Patriot's Sword)
Best Non-Fanfic AAR, Vicky/CK - Tannat Diary of Labourd (CK)
Best Comedy AAR, Vicky/CK - Going Slightly Mad (Vicky)
Best History-Book AAR, Vicky/CK - Patriot's Sword (Vicky)
Best Narrative AAR, Vicky/CK - Sins of the Father (if Vicky counted separately, add Danish Revival)

This was REALLY hard!!! There is so much talent in these fora, that it's very difficult to place one master against another! I am sorry to the many folks who came in a close second in my voting. There were lots of you!

Rensslaer

And... One additional award that I just can't resist:
Favorite Character - The Elvis of Avalon! (sorry, Mett! :D )

eagles40mod.jpg

Voting Ends March 7th!!! So here's a "reader-aid" to encourage more voting:

This is an inexact (but close!) record of public votes for each open position. Until I hear otherwise, I shall assume that Vicky and Crusader Knights votes are competing against each other within categories, though I personally feel they should be awarded separately. Also remember that Anonymous has presumably been getting a few private votes, the results of which are "held Anonymously"! :p

If one AAR is "leading" I will highlight it, though I think one thing that will become apparent from this is that many of the "leading" AARs have only 2-3 votes. My guess is that it might be worthwhile for those of you who haven't voted in all categories (perhaps because you don't know where to begin!) to take a look at those AARs that have received votes, and determine if you would also like to vote for one of them!

I have not included votes for AARs (such as Mare Nostrum -- thank you, Taswir!) that I know do not qualify as Q4 2005. There may be others, but that one I know. I will include multiple votes, even if the AAR in question doesn't seem to qualify -- I'll leave that up to Anonymous how to count.

This is not an attempt to stifle votes for deserving AARs that have not received votes thusfar. This is just an idea to get more interest and votes for some very deserving and high-quality AARs! :D

Best AAR, Overall - Pict Lesson Art War, Secrets AARk, 3rd Empire, Patriot Sword, Magyar (2), Doomed StAARt, Enig do Trov, Eagle & Lion (2), Fire Warms, King & Country, Empire Fu Manchu, Eagles of Avalon, Sins of the Father

Best Graphics, Overall - Iron Cross (2), Doomed StAARt (6), Pictorial Art of War (3)

HOI 1/2

Best AAR, HOI2/1 - Eagle & Lion (3), Secrets AARk, 3rd Empire (3), King & Country, Doomed StAARt, Enig do Trov (2), 1944 Germany, Magyar (2), Empire Fu Manchu (2), Pict Lesson Art War, Iron Cross

Best Non-Fanfic AAR, HOI2/1 - 1944 Germany, Magyar (3)

Best Comedy AAR, HOI2/1 - Secret AARk (7), Doomed StAARt, League of Evil, We Shall Overcome

Best History-Book AAR, HOI2/1 - Prussian Moderation (3), Iron Cross, Magyar (3), X-Com: Apocalypse, 1914-1924 British Int (2), Enig og Dovre

Best Narrative AAR, HOI2/1 - Doomed StAARt, X-Com: Apocalypse (3), Empire of Fu Manchu (2), King & Country (5), 3rd Empire (3), Iron Cross, Caught in Vice

EU 1/2

Best AAR, EU2/1 - Desert Tides: Mongol (2), Resurrection & Rebirth (5), Here There Be Dragons, Eagles of Avalon

Best Non-Fanfic AAR, EU2/1 - Italian Dash, Habsburg Europe (2)

Best Comedy AAR, EU2/1 - P for Portugal (5), Annexing My New Empire (3)

Best History-Book AAR, EU2/1 - Dreams of Albion, Footsteps Magna Charta (2), Eagles of Avalon (3), Fallen Eagle, Rome: Sons of Mars

Best Narrative AAR, EU2/1 - Hussite Lament (2), Desert Tides: Mongol, Resurrection & Rebirth (2), Eagles of Avalon (3), Golden Horde, The Eternal City, In Memory of France

Victoria/Crusader Kings

Best AAR, Vicky/CK - VIC Patriot's Sword (2), CK New Jerusalem (2)VIC Danish Revival (2), VIC Fire Warms (4), CK Knights of the West, CK Sins of the Father (2)

Best Non-Fanfic AAR, Vicky/CK - VIC Outcasts of Ionia, VIC Tannat Diary (2), VIC When all Goes South

Best Comedy AAR, Vicky/CK - CK Crusader Mafia, VIC Going Slightly Mad (3), VIC Line of True Bastards, VIC Missing Screw

Best History-Book AAR, Vicky/CK - VIC Fire Warms (5), CK Saxon Imperial Dreams, VIC Patriot's Sword

Best Narrative AAR, Vicky/CK - CK Machiavellian Adventures (2), VIC Chronological Influences (2), VIC Fire Warms (2), CK Sins of the Father (2), VIC Patriot's Sword, CK Knights of the West, VIC Danish Revival

Lastly, let me second (third???) the appreciation bestowed by all of us on Anonmymous for managing this massive award project! I can tell just from compiling my list that this will be a handful to complete! :D

These types of awards are tough to do, simply because there's too many good ones to choose from, so a lot of gems get lost in the shuffle.

I realize there's different things that people try and do to get different writers and AARs noticed, but the sheer volume is such that it's difficult to do, especially when you're forced to select only one.

I'm also strongly of the opinion that CK and Vicky *should* be kept separate. Our two forums are not going to benefit nearly as much as the others without our own separate categories.

By lumping them together, it's like you're saying those games aren't as important as the rest in the Paradox library

In the future, I'd strongly suggest keeping separate voting threads for each game in their respective subfora and then have an all-winners vote here on the overall best awards.

Also, I find that it makes little sense to vote for a game-specific best and/or overall best AAR that you do not also vote for in at least one of the genre subcategories, although I guess it could be defended for some hybrid AARs.

Last edited:
Best AAR, Overall: "Prussian Moderation." - An alternative German AAR by Vincent Julien

Best AAR, HOI2/1: Empire of Fu Manchu by The Yogi
Best Non-Fanfic AAR, HOI2/1: World at War - Germany 1936 by ukmj
Best Comedy AAR, HOI2/1: Secrets of the AARk by anonymous4401
Best History-Book AAR, HOI2/1: The Eagle and The Lion - A History of the German Empire in the Revolutionary Wars by The Yogi
Best Narrative AAR, HOI2/1: The Sacred Grove of Britannia by Sir Humphrey

Best AAR, EU2/1: Eagles of Avalon by Mettermrck
Best Non-Fanfic AAR, EU2/1: no vote
Best Comedy AAR, EU2/1: P is for Portugal by Farquharson
Best History-Book AAR, EU2/1: The Fallen Eagle: A Byzantine Empire AAR by SeanB
Best Narrative AAR, EU2/1: Eagles of Avalon by Mettermrck

Best AAR, Vicky/CK: no vote
Best Non-Fanfic AAR, Vicky/CK: no vote
Best Comedy AAR, Vicky/CK: no vote
Best History-Book AAR, Vicky/CK: no vote
Best Narrative AAR, Vicky/CK: no vote

Best Graphics, Overall : Doomed From The StAArt by Wolfhound

I also wanted to vote for A Pictorial Lesson in the Art of Warfare II: Feldzuge by 2Coats, but unfortunately it does not qualify since it was started this year :(. Maybe in the next quarter...

If you look my post was edited as I kept find other posts that voted in another categories. :eek: After seeing those I was no longer sure which one it should be nominated for and I merely added the others to my list! :wacko:

Never meant to trivialize or disparage the voting or others efforts.

Last edited:
I find it quite amusing -- and INDICATIVE! -- that The Yogi is competing with HIMSELF! for several of these awards! :rofl:

Great job, Yogi!

Rensslaer