• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Duke of Wellington said:
Theres so many good ones to choose from. One could have a full time job just reading them :)
The way I seem to work is that if you comment in my AAR, I'll try to read any of your AARs linked in your sig. :) Seems fair, though. You read mine, I'll read yours. This method lets me read a good number of AARs, without being overwhelmed.

fj44 said:
The way I seem to work is that if you comment in my AAR, I'll try to read any of your AARs linked in your sig. :) Seems fair, though. You read mine, I'll read yours. This method lets me read a good number of AARs, without being overwhelmed.
If it had worked like that I should surely got more readers. :wacko:

Hey Duke. You should at least vote if have read any AAR started before 31. It should not hurt. Wink,wink.

kenneththegreat said:
Most of us are 2005'ers. Therefore, we only read HoI and HoI2 AARs
I don't see any connection between join date and what you read. The two have nothing to do with one another. If you mean that you came aboard with HoI2 and have no interest in reading other stuff, fair enough (though I cannot imagine why.) But you might consider branching out. There are quite a lot of great AARs spread out over all the games. I'd hate for this award to cement the idea that we have two distinct groups here. And it seems sad that apart from a few, the only AARs listed here are from HoI.

I like AARs that are essentially analytical -- laying out a strategy and explaining how one is implementing it and why. The best I have seen for HOI2 is Kan's Edge of Darkness. I don't know which category you would put this in.

coz1 said:
But you might consider branching out. There are quite a lot of great AARs spread out over all the games.
Quite right... Ask FJ44, who came over to Victoria after reading some Vicky AARs!

Paradox has a lot of variety. And, frankly, I always thought that I would prefer HOI to Victoria, but when I got it, I've found I much prefer Vicky. I will go back -- I love them all! -- but it's worth checking into the others.

For what it's worth, my purchases have gone progressively BACK in time: HOI 1, Victoria, EU II -- in that order. :D

Rensslaer

Rensslaer said:
Quite right... Ask FJ44, who came over to Victoria after reading some Vicky AARs!

Paradox has a lot of variety. And, frankly, I always thought that I would prefer HOI to Victoria, but when I got it, I've found I much prefer Vicky. I will go back -- I love them all! -- but it's worth checking into the others.

For what it's worth, my purchases have gone progressively BACK in time: HOI 1, Victoria, EU II -- in that order. :D

Rensslaer

....CK?

Join date has nothing to do with it. Its matter of taste and what you like to read. Of course there are various informal camps that people can be placed into, but who are not necessarily members of. I mean afterall, EU2 is getting on a bit, but that does not mean that the AARs are any less in either quality or quantity than say HoI or HoI2.

Now if I can just share for a moment, I have no interest in the game CK or even that period of history, but when I did read some of the AARs there, some of them were excellent, and it opened my eyes. In that altough neither the game nor the period was of any interest, the writing was that good that it made it interesting.

My vote:

Best AAR, Overall: Fire Warms the Northern Lands - A Prussian AAR (Rensslaer)

Best AAR, HOI2/1: 1944 Scenario as Germany - A rock and a hard place (Von_Who)
Best Non-Fanfic AAR, HOI2/1:
Best Comedy AAR, HOI2/1:
Best History-Book AAR, HOI2/1:
Best Narrative AAR, HOI2/1:

Best AAR, EU2/1
Best Non-Fanfic AAR, EU2/1
Best Comedy AAR, EU2/1
Best History-Book AAR, EU2/1
Best Narrative AAR, EU2/1

Best AAR, Vicky/CK: Fire Warms the Northern Lands - A Prussian AAR (Rensslaer)
Best Non-Fanfic AAR, Vicky/CK
Best Comedy AAR, Vicky/CK
Best History-Book AAR, Vicky/CK
Best Narrative AAR, Vicky/CK: Fire Warms the Northern Lands - A Prussian AAR (Rensslaer)

Best Graphics, Overall: Pictorial Lesson in the Art of Warfare: The Italian Army 1936 – (current) (2Coats)

Last edited:
Snake IV said:
You can't vote on that one. You have to wait to awAARds for the 2Q. The first pictoral lesson is nominated however.
Sorry. I was to enthusiastic after reading the beginning of the HOI2 series :rolleyes:

changed

Oh God...

Anon, I would consider opening threads in the subfora. This is just...huge! A wonderful effort, don't misunderstand me...just a lot to take in!

That said....I'll vote this weekend. :)

HOI 1/2

Best overall: Advantages without Obligations (HOI1) Mettermrck
Gameplay: No vote
Comedy: No vote
Historical: 1914-1924, British interests/honour/obligations. (HOI1) Allenby
Narrative: For King and Country (HOI2) Draco Rexus

EU 1/2

Best overall: No vote
Comedy: P is for Portugal, Farquhuarson
Historical: Eagles of Avalon, Mettemrck
Narrative: Vive l'Empereur!, TreizeV

CK/VIC:

Best overall: The New Jerusalem, Paranoid Tsar (CK)
Comedy: No vote
Historical: Fire warms the Northern Lands, Rennslaer (Vic)
Narrative: The Machiavellian Adventures of Princess Eleanor, frogbeastegg (CK)

Overall:
Best: No vote
Graphics: Doomed from the Staart!, Wolfhound (HOI1)

Thank you, Catknight for your support! (and the rest of you too!)

Remember that this award is for AARs that were updated during the 4th quarter of 2005.

While I agree that Mett's Adv. w/o Obs. is incredible brilliance, I think he finished it a while back. I think maybe a couple others of your choices might not be eligible, too.

I haven't finished my choices yet, and I'm still considering Mett's Eagles of Avalon for an award, as that was still active in Q4.

Renss

p.s. Treekiller!!! ;)

Thanks, Renns: I'm familiar with the rules.

You ARE right about 'Advantages'. I misremembered the end date for that. So...

Best overall: (HOI) No vote at this time
Narrative: (EU) SWITCH: Eagles of Avalon, Mettermrck. (I thought my previous vote updated, but again I was mistaken.)

Two questionable ones are legal:

Comedy: (EU) P is for Portugal! (Started on 12/31/05. Uncomfortable timing, but legal.)
Overall: (CK) The New Jerusalem: Appears to have stalled or been abandoned, but did update during the period in question.

To my knowledge everything else is fine. :)

Best AAR, HOI2/1: A Pictorial Lesson in the Art of Warfare II: Feldzuge - 2 coats
Best Non-Fanfic AAR, HOI2/1: A Magyar Királyság újjászületése (Revival of the Kindom of Hungary) - a Hungarian AAR hobotnicajoe
Best Comedy AAR, HOI2/1: The League of Evil: an AAR of Doom- Fenwick
Best History-Book AAR, HOI2/1: Mare Nostrum - An Italian 1936 AAR - Taswir
Best Narrative AAR, HOI2/1: For King and Country - Draco Rexus

Best AAR, EU2/1: A Turnip for the books: A rather strange Sweden AAR - Fiftypence
Best Non-Fanfic AAR, EU2/1: Habsburg Europe 2: Back in White - Fnuco
Best Comedy AAR, EU2/1: P is Portugal - Farquharson
Best History-Book AAR, EU2/1: The Fallen Eagle: A Bzyantine Empire AAR - SeanB
Best Narrative AAR, EU2/1: The Golden Horde- Back from the Dead - Duke of Wellington

Best AAR, Vicky/CK: Fire Warms the Northern Lands -- A Prussian AAR by Rensslaer
Best Non-Fanfic AAR, Vicky/CK: When it all goes South - Rocketman
Best Comedy AAR, Vicky/CK: A line of true Bastards. An a-historical England AAR - Dead William
Best History-Book AAR, Vicky/CK: Fire Warms the Northern Lands -- A Prussian AAR by Rensslaer
Best Narrative AAR, Vicky/CK: Chronological Influences II: An American AAR - TC Pilot

My apologies to those great writers that I could add in, just too much quality on the boards at this time.

Big thanks to Anon for all your hard work in keeping this going!

Best AAR : For King and Country - Draco Rexus

Best AAR HOI 1/2 : Enig og Tro til Dovre Faller - Lord E
Best Narrative AAR HOI 1/2: Caught in the Vice - VILenin

Best AAR Vicky/CK : Fire Warms The Northern Lands - Rensslaer
Best Narrative AAR Vicky/CK: The Patriot's Sword- RossN

Best AAR, Overall - HOI2 AAR: A Magyar Királyság újjászületése - a Hungarian AAR

Best AAR, HOI2/1 - HOI2 AAR: A Magyar Királyság újjászületése - a Hungarian AAR

Best Narrative AAR, HOI2/1: A Magyar Királyság újjászületése - a Hungarian AAR

Best History-Book AAR - HOI2 AAR: A Magyar Királyság újjászületése - a Hungarian AAR

Best Non-Fanfic AAR, HOI2/1: A Magyar Királyság újjászületése - a Hungarian AAR

Last edited: