• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Hadhod

Lt. General
43 Badges
Mar 6, 2015
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Semper Fi
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • March of the Eagles
The Neville chronicles

1024px-Arms_of_Neville%2C_Earls_of_Westmorland.png

Motto: "Ne[-]vile velis" (Wishing nothing base)

Hello all, this is going to be my first AAR, so please be patient and don't expect too much.
This will be a non interactive AAR, however criticism is welcome, especially if it's well thought and constructive.

General Rules:
  • No savescumming (even if minor bugs happen [you'll see what I mean soon-ish])
  • No cheating (exception: Setup)
  • No gamey tactics and exploits (as far I know that they are considered gamey)

Setup
  • Mods used: HIP (latest release), without ARKO pack
  • Starting character made with Ruler Designer for RP reasons (created as Count of Essex, then switched ruler to the King to grant the County of Warwick, then switched back and gave the County of Essex back to its rightful owner)

House Rules
  • Roleplaying characters according to their traits (and opinions) as much as possible even if it means disadvantages
  • Education can be done by anyone (even the player) however switching to a character to gain high education before coming of age is prohibited. Roleplay will be used according to the educators traits
  • While I strive for good characters overall, I won't play the Medieval Eugenics simulator to gain OP rulers in each generation.
  • Marriage:
    • Only Kings and Higher are allowed to marry foreign Princesses
    • Counts and Dukes are meant to marry within the realm (unless independent)
    • Alliances > Eugenics (though I will still choose the most suitable match in terms of traits/stats)
    • Unless the primary heir, daughters will not be sent off to marry other realms heirs matrilineally. Dynasty expansion will only be done via male bloodline
  • No blobbing. Unless driven by character's traits and stats I will not expand over the de jure borders of the Empire if I ever happen to reach those heights.
  • Executing children to prevent title loss is not allowed. Also no imprisoning unless they committed a crime.

Goals
  • Survive.
  • Help at least one claimant to press his claim on the liege Kingdom (see "Warwick the Kingmaker")
  • Have at least one Pope of my Dynasty
  • Become King of one of the British Isle's Kingdoms, preferably England.
  • Have fun!

As you might have noticed, this AAR is heavily influenced by the historical Neville family (currently reading Conn Iggulden's "War of the Roses" series).

I will not aim for a quick expansion even though that might come at the expense of a slower paced game. If there is no drive to expand then I won't expand for the sake of it. I am looking for a more historical approach since I enjoy that really much and I hope some of you will do to.

I don't have a planned schedule for chapter releases and don't play that much ahead, as time is scarce and Uni is more important. I will play on whenever I have the time for it.
If the dynasty becomes extinct, the AAR will end, I will not reload an earlier save game to circumvent a game over.

As stated above, this is my first AAR ever so I would be very grateful to anyone who's giving me tips on how to improve it in any way (Style, Language, Contents, Screens, etc).

I am not a native speaker, so please excuse any grammatical and spelling errors.

P.S: It's late already and I haven't finished the first chapter yet so I'll upload it hopefully tomorrow when it's done.

Reactions:
Last edited:
Reactions:
Prologue

14th October 1066 – Senlac Hill

It was a clear morning. The first rays of dawn spread warmth in the cold bones of Sir Ralph Neville. With winter nearing the nights grew colder and colder and he pitied the poor fool that had had to keep watch last night. He got up and careful not to step on anyone made his way to the latrines. After the relieving deed he stretched a few times and walked back to the camp.

What an enormous army had been gathered here indeed, he thought to himself. Normans, Bretons, Flemings, Frenchmen even Dutch made up the army of Ralph's liege lord, Duke William, by some called “the Bastard” although that name was never mentioned in his presence, for obvious reasons. Maybe the fact that William was a Bastard himself had led him to the benevolent decision to allow Ralph to serve in his retinue. Only God and the Duke himself knew. The Lord in the Heavens above himself had to have a plan for him, else he would have never made it this far, Ralph thought recalling his early years.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ralph had spent most of his childhood in the monastery of Neuville sur Touques a small village 30 miles from Alençon. He never knew his father and his mother passed away when he was 5 years old. The little boy had been raised by the monks since his mother had taken a vow of silence. When she died it it made no real difference as far as he could remember.

Growing up however Abbé Philippe recognized that Ralph was not made for secular life. He sent the 12 year old to Baron Abelard, the Knight of the fief Neuville sur Touques.

Ralph was a tall young man and the Baron agreed to give him a spot in the Guard of his mansion. The military drill was no problem for Ralph as he was used to a fix schedule. He was able to read unlike most of his companions which he was always mocked for. But that didn't concern him, he wanted to become Captain of the Guard and practised his fighting skills every day. Despite his young age he made a name of himself in the daily duels. While not a skilled fighter yet, he could very well hold his own in a fight, with both sword and spear, an ability that was aided by his tall stature.

The New Year of the Lord 1066 had brought spectacular news to the small village; the Duke of Normandy had been calling his banners and prepared for an invasion of England, since its former ruler had died without heir. Now the recruiters traveled through Normandie to muster the Duke's army. Ralph, at that time a man of 15 years, was drafted as well as Gérard, one of his companions from the Guard. Together with a dozen of farmers, smiths and craftsmen they marched to Rouen, where William had made his camp. Ralph had not seen such a huge host of people before, and in comparison to Neuville sur Touques Rouen was massive.

Never in his life Ralph would forget the moment that would change everything. It was the eve of the 13th of August. Ralph and Gérard had just been warming their hands on the meagre camp fire that defied the dew and smoked as if they were in a smokehouse. It would turn out to be a boring night watch but at least they had been assigned together. Gérard was reminiscing about the girl he had lost his virginity with, a wench from Alençon. Ralph had heard the story a dozen times before, hence he only listened half-heartedly. Out of a sudden noise came from the camp, torches were lit and sergeants yelled orders. In the centre of the camp, by the looks of it near the Duke's tent, a lot of smoke was wavering into the sky. Then he saw the fire, it spread quickly and Ralph wasted no time. Making his way to the fire, he asked Gérard to stay where he was and arrived quickly at the camp. Truly, it was a terrible sight to behold: Roughly 100 tents had caught fire and some burning corpses were already lying in the mud. The smell was disgusting and through the thick smoke you could barely see more than five yards.

Ralph reported in to the Sergeant leading the group that fought the fire. “No one has seen the Duke” the Sergeant shouted, “We have to reach his tent and find him!” Easier said than done, Ralph thought to himself. Making his way to the centre of the camp the smoke got worse and worse. He and another soldier had finally reached the Duke's tent, but it had collapsed already. The entrance was completely on fire, therefore Ralph took out his sword and cut a hole in the back of the tent, that for whatever reason had not been burning yet. “Let's get inside and find the Duke” Ralph more coughed than spoke to the other, but as he turned around the soldier was nowhere to be found. Nevertheless he entered the burning tent and looked for the Duke. There he was, apparently unconscious due to the smoke he lay on the floor, his hands covering his mouth as much as possible. Ralph rushed towards the body and dragged him away from the fire towards the hole. As they made it to the cut he heard voices shouting “The Duke is found” “Help!” and similar phrases. Using the last of his strength Ralph heaved the Duke outside and gasped deeply, filling his lungs with fresher air. Then he stumbled and everything turned dark.

As he awoke Ralph saw finer fabric than he was used to and instead of the usual hay he lay on a wooden table.

“Ah, it seems he is back under the living” a deep voice sounded from the other side of the tent. Immediately a doctor was on Ralph's side.

“Indeed your Lordship, the man seems to have woken up. If you allow, I will now leave Your Highness alone as you wished earlier” With a nod Duke William dismissed the surgeon.

“Now to you, boy”, William's deep voice reverberated in Ralph's head, “I suppose I owe you my life.” A warm smile emerged on his face as he looked Ralph right in the eye.

“My Lord, everyone would have done the same, I merely did my duty” , Ralph responded.

“Aye you did...” the Duke faltered. “I don't even know my saviour's name!”

“My name is Ralph my Lord. Ralph from Neuville sur Touques”

“Well then, well met Ralph of Neuville. I thank you with all my heart for your courage. Kneel down”
the Duke exclaimed. Ralph did as he was commanded and slipped from the table.

“In the name of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ, I hereby dub thee Sir Ralph Neville. You knelt as a boy, now rise a Knight.” The following words about his duties as a knight were wrapped in fog in Ralph's mind. After the Duke had dubbed him with his sword on each shoulder everything around him blurred temporarily. He could not remember when and how he said the oath that bound him to the Duke till this very day.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

With a shake of his head Sir Ralph was back in the present again. It had only been two months ago since he had been knighted by the Duke. On the 28th September they had crossed the channel and now they were here. Ralph made his way back to the tent that he and three other Knights shared. They were all older than him, and ignored him for most of the time. Parvenu they called him, and he could not really take amiss their attitude. It had been an upstart indeed. But now was not the time to think about the past.

Bells were rung and Officers shouted orders through the camp. Looking up the hill, Ralph saw a wall of shields stretching from a forest to a small stream on the other side, blocking the road and any way inland. “So this is the day,” he mumbled into his beard, if you could call it like that. The older men laughed about his fuzz on chin and the upper lip, but what did they know.

He waited for his squire to arrive. Duke William had not only knighted him, but equipped him with a set of armour, a new sword and shield (with the banner Ralph was allowed to choose himself on it) and even a horse. The armour had some dents here and there and the helmet was without nose guard but it would do. The horse was an old nag, however Ralph was no great rider so that made no difference.
After some minutes young Arnault arrived panting. “Good morning, Sir” the boy stuttered. He was only 3 years younger than Ralph but one foot shorter. With his 6 foot Ralph even towered over the Duke who was most definitely not a small man.

Arnault knew what he had to do, you had to give him that. With quick and precise moves he had fitted Sir Ralph in his armour in no time. The hauberk was a bit short but at least still reached below the waist. The head was protected by a helmet that ended in a cone on top. It itched in the back of the skull but it was necessary to prevent axe blows from splitting his head in half. Leather boots covered the lower leg, hardened leather was used to protect the upper legs. Finally the gauntlets were the last thing to get into. Then Arnault fetched the double edged longsword and the kite shield the Norman cavalry used and brought it to Ralph.

Stepping outside the tent, Ralph saw soldiers everywhere getting ready for battle. It would be a tough challenge to fight uphill against such a massive formation like the shieldwall positioned on Senlac Hill. It was plain obvious why King Harold had chosen this position to give battle.

As the horns were blown to announce a general rallying, Arnault came with the stallion. Not without struggle Sir Ralph climbed on top and rode off with other Knights towards the centre of the battle line that was slowly forming, where Duke William and his personal guard had taken up position already.

The Duke had split his army in three parts; the left flank consisted mostly of Bretons and men from the Anjou and Maine, led by Alan the Red; the centre was under personal command of the Duke himself, here he gathered the Norman troops and his cavalry; the right wing was made up of Frenchmen and the Flemish, commanded by Count Eustace of Boulogne.

After a short prayer the Duke gave the command for the archers to advance. They moved forward and started showering the enemy line on top of the hill with arrows. The results were less favorable than expected. The massive shield wall did not waver in the slightest and the overlapping shields prevented most arrows from hitting flesh and bones. After the barrage was over one could hear the Saxons laughing over this in their eyes pathetic attempt to weaken their line. The Duke now sent forward the spearmen to engage the shield wall. However this proved fruitless, so William ordered his cavalry to advance as well.

Sir Ralph felt his heart pounding in his chest. It was the time to kill or be killed. "Luckily the Saxons have not got any archers", he thought to himself, else this advance uphill would have been a massacre according to battlefield veterans. As the infantry clashed with each other suddenly a volley of axes, javelins, stones and similar weapons rained down upon the Normans. Ralph could barely get up his shield in time before a javelin hit the stout wood. To his left a fellow knight was dismounted as a a throwing axe sliced open his horses' head.

The enemy shield wall seemed unbreakable, but they had to force their way through here, if William was to be crowned King one day. The Normans threw wave over wave onto the Saxon fyrd and huscarls. With small wedge formations the cavalry tried to find openings in the enemy line but that turned out to be hopeless. As soon as an enemy fell he was replaced by someone out of the deeper rows. After a while the left Norman flank crumbled and fell back, which led to a general retreat. Ralph had only engaged in melee twice but was sweating out of every pore. The uphill battle had forced the cavalry to not ride with fast pace, which was a relief for Ralph as he could barely hold himself on horseback.

Encouraged by their fleeing enemy the fyrd came running down the hill pursuing their routing enemies. This is the end, Ralph thought, as he heard a rallying shout behind him. Turning around he saw the Duke with his personal bannerbearer and guard rallying the cavalry around him. Ralph hurried over to the Duke. With firm voice William gave the order to counter attack the pursuing fyrd. A warcry shouted out of hundreds of throats sounded upon the battlefield as he personally led the charge. Ralph could not keep up the pace of the first rows and fell behind. His heart was racing and his arms were shaking from the weight of sword and shield. Then the cavalry wedge crashed into the fyrd which was in utter disarray. Ralph swung his sword left and right of his horse in the hopes of hitting someone. A powerful blow struck down a spearman to his right, the stallion under him lunged out to the front and back, it was used to situations like this.

Amidst the fierce fighting someone screamed “the Duke is dead, run for your lives”. And indeed the banner was not to be seen anywhere. Ralph turned around his horse, slashing another enemy in the process and blocking a thrust with his shield in the same movement, spurring his horse. The stallion jumped forward and Ralph rode over several running Saxons. As he reached the point where William had last been he saw the Duke's banner lying in the mud. Next to it the dismounted Duke was fending off 3 spearmen at once. Ralph rushed forward and struck his sword deep in the neck of one of the Saxons. The man stumbled and fell to the ground. Now the odds were even. While the Duke finished off one of the attackers with a mighty blow to the chest, Ralph was left to deal with the last remaining enemy. The man knew exactly how close he had been to killing the enemy leader and angrily attacked. His wild thrust pierced Ralph's shield, luckily his arm was not hit. But now the spear was stuck in the wood and Ralph had no trouble decapitating the attacker. With a bloody sword he rode over to the Duke.
Panting he dismounted and said “Take the horse my Lord, I am better on foot and the men need to see that you're still alive.” William seemed startled that a lowly knight dared to approach him so bluntly but as he saw who it was his face brightened up. “Well I guess this is the second time I owe you my life good Sir.” he burst out. As he took the horse he said to Ralph “Pick up my banner, Sir Ralph, hold it high so everyone can see it.”
Gathering his personal guard he rode through the ranks shouting he was still alive. The routing Normans turned around and seeing their Duke unharmed attacked once again.

A fierce brawl emerged as a group of huscarls tried to make their way towards the Duke's banner still believing the Duke to be around it. The huscarls were wielding heavy axes and slashed their way through the Norman infantry and the dismounted knights. All of a sudden an enemy warrior appeared right in front of Ralph. Only armed with the longsword and the Duke's banner Ralph saw his end near. The soldier screamed “Godwin” as he charged towards Ralph. Swinging his big axe he was a frightening sight to behold. Ralph ducked away under the first swing, which sliced the banner pole in half. He counter attacked with a quick blow to the enemy's left side, causing his foe to scream out in pain. The Saxon turned around and this time aimed directly for the head. Blood was dripping from the wound in his left side. Ralph jumped backwards, even the attempt to parry this two handed axe would have probably broken his wrists. The axe drove right into the ground and got stuck in the mud. Ralph immediately retaliated and drove his sword through the huscarl's heart. With a distorted face and a look of disbelief the soldier slumped down. Ralph pulled his sword out of the dead body and looked around to find the banner. Out of nowhere he felt a dull pain in the back of his head. Dropping down on the ground his vision was blurred and before everything was clad in a shroud of darkness he saw one last grim warrior towering over him, his great hammer held high above the head hauling off for the final blow...

Last edited:
Reactions:
An interesting start so far. I'm curious to see where you go with this.

Thanks for the kind words, unfortunately I had no time to finish the first update today. So the Prologue is all there is at the moment. Stay tuned!

Yes I'm in as this looks very interesting

A good start so far and not particularly obvious that English isn't your 1st language

Chapter I – The Reign of Sir Ralph Neville (1066 - ….)

Part I - Godwinslayer

25th December 1066 - Westminster Abbey

Nobles from all of William's realm had traveled to London to witness the coronation of the new King of England, or Angliétèrre as it was called now. Ralph was not able to see much of the ceremony. He was only a minor knight and although he had saved the Duke's life twice William seemed to have forgotten about him. As such he only got a place at the very end of Westminster Abbey. William spoke the oath with his usual deep and firm voice, and then Ealdred, the Archbishop of somewhere far in the North, carefully placed the crown on William's head. As the King rose and turned around, everyone bent the knee. Ralph dared to risk a look at him and thought to see an expression of pure joy in the King's face. “Arise!” the King said and the crowd rose up. “Hail the King” it sounded unanimously through the Abbey. Then the new ruler over Angliétèrre left the church and everyone followed him outside all agog with expectations of the upcoming feast.

Ralph made his way to the banquets stuffed with food. Servants with wine and ale scurried their way through the crowds, refilling empty cups. After he had secured himself a spot at one of the tables Ralph gobbled the pheasant meat he had in front of him and poured it down the throat with a strong ale. It would become an enjoyable evening he was sure of it. From the corner of his eye Ralph saw his neighbours turn their heads towards him. As he looked up everyone was staring at him. Suddenly a heavy paw pat on his back.

“Well well, if that's not Sir Ralph the Godwinslayer” the King said. William “the Conqueror” as he styled himself now, stood right behind Ralph. “Your Grace, you honour me with your presence” Ralph replied awestruck. The King seemed amused about the young man's blushing. “I need to hear the story again how you slew that Saxon swine Leofwine.”

Ralph had almost forgot; the huscarl he killed at the Battle at Hastings before being knocked unconscious had indeed been one of Harold Godwinson's brothers. He only found out after the battle as he was being patched up by a surgeon. Ralph would have been dead as well if it wouldn't have been for Hamelin de Conventry. The warrior had lunged himself on Gyrth Godwinson, the man who had struck down Ralph in rage as he saw the death of his brother. Together with three other soldiers Hamelin slew the older brother that had tried to avenge his younger sibling's death. After the fall of their leaders and the eventual death of Harold himself the Saxons had routed the field and William's way to London lay open.

“Come on, what are you waiting for” the King's voice broke through his memories. Ralph sorted his thoughts and began, adding a small detail here and there but leaving out the not so interesting parts. After he had finished William burst out in laughter. “That's a tale to remember, my son.” Then he turned towards the other guests: “Such a magnificent deed demands a reward, don't you think?” The crowd yelled “Aye.”

“That's what I thought” the King replied. “Sir Ralph, have you ever heard of Warwickshire?”

“I - I am afraid I don't, your Grace” Ralph stuttered bewildered.

“You will get plenty of time to get to know it better then." The King grinned as he kept on talking "I hereby bestow you the title Count of Warwick and its surrounding lands. Will you serve me as a loyal vassal even in dire times?”

“I swear it, my Lord. I can not thank you enough, your Grace” Ralph stammered, he could not believe what just happened to him.

On the other side of the table someone shouted “A toast” and the King raised his cup: “To the new Count of Warwick” Ralph stood up: “And to William the Conqueror. May his reign be blessed.”

1character5la0ojki4w.jpg

Ralph Neville, 1st Earl of Warwick

Part II - The Wedding

10th January 1067 - Warwick Castle

Ralph restlessly walked up and down in his chambers. Despite the cold he felt sweat running down his back. The waiting made him uneasy and the longer he had to stay locked up here in hope of the messenger arriving, the sillier he felt. What if they had stood him up? Or if they had been attacked by highway men? “Calm, Ralph, everything will be fine” he mumbled in the hopes that this would actually ease the nervousness. But who has he trying to trick; he was still as tense as he had been when he slipped into his best clothes earlier.

Finally he heard the patter of horse hoofs in the castle yard. He grabbed his coif, a gift from Duke William, no... King William now, and hurried down the stairs. In his haste he bumped into his Steward Gilbert who was on his way to inform him about the messenger. With a scream they toppled over each other.

“Bloody hell Gilbert, look at what you've done. Now my best clothes are all dirty” Ralph snarled at him. “I'm going to make a fool of myself in front of all the guests.”

Trying to keep a shimmer of dignity the middle aged man got up and bowed down immediately afterwards. “My sincerest apologies, my Lord. I didn't mean to...”

“Ah never mind, it's not your fault” Ralph intercepted him. “It's the wedding, It got me all itchy”

The steward could not hide the grin on his face “Aye my Lord, even fearless warriors like yourself are not immune to the excitement it brings. But concerning the messenger: the Montgomeries will be here in the quarter of an hour. We should prepare the last things.”
With a nod Ralph made his way downstairs.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Freezing wind whirled the snowflakes around as Ralph and his councillors awaited the carriage. Roger de Montgomery and a dozen Knights rode ahead. The Count was a slender man, not short but not tall either. Being one of King William's principal advisers he was a powerful man within the realm. He called the Counties of Alençon and Sussex his own and was governing Normandy in William's absence. Ralph thought he had made a good match marrying into this man's dynasty. Now he only had to hope his promised would be as fair as Roger had made her out to be when he sealed the betrothal with Ralph two weeks ago.

After the King had granted him Warwick Castle and the fertile lands around it Ralph was suddenly a man of power. Montgomery must have thought that as well as he came over and congratulated him to his new title. Some cups of ale later he and Roger had agreed to a betrothal between Ralph and Roger's second daughter Sibyl. And now here he stood, the Count had come at last.

Ralph greeted his soon to be father in law with a firm handshake.

“Good to see you again Lord Montgomery.”

“Likewise”
the Count responded.

“Let us get inside, I don't want you to freeze to death.” Putting his arm around the shoulder of Count Roger he led Montgomery towards the small church. He did not turn around to see Sibyl get out of the carriage, it was a bad omen to see your bride in her wedding dress before the actual ceremony started.

As the Count was waiting for his daughter to reach the church, Ralph stepped up to Father Arnald. The Bishop of Coventry who would lead the ceremony was still young, Ralph guessed he was in his early twenties. A lot of “Oh” and “Ah” from the entrance of the abbey made him turn around and with a quiet sigh he felt the weight of one thousand stones drop from his shoulders. Down the central nave Count Roger and his daughter entered the church. She is not fat, Ralph thought to himself. Although corpulence was a sign for good childbearing hips, Ralph had never been attracted to this kind of women. As his bride and her father came closer, Ralph got sweaty hands. Roger de Montgomery stopped 2 steps in front of the Count of Warwick. With a tear in his eye he kissed his daughter a last time and tenderly placed Sibyl's arm on Ralph's. As Montgomery took his seat in the front row Ralph tried to catch a glimpse on Sibyl's face but the veil thwarted this attempt. Ralph and Sibyl stepped forward.

Bishop Arnald began his prayers; after what felt like eternity he turned around to the altar. As he faced the couple again he held a small wooden box in his hands. With a smile on his face he came closer. “The oaths my Lord, my Lady” he said.

Ralph took her hand and spoke the words. “I, Ralph Neville, Count of Warwick take thee Sibyl de Montgomery to my wedded wife, till death us depart, and thereto I plight thee my troth.” After he had finished, Sibyl repeated the words. “I, Sibyl de Montgomery, take thee Ralph Neville to my wedded husband, till death us depart, and thereto I plight thee my troth”, she spoke with a smooth voice. The Bishop opened the box and handed the couple the rings. Ralph hands were shaking as he put the ring on her finger. As Sibyl was putting the ring unto his finger he could feel her hands tremble as well.
“In the name of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ I hereby declare you husband and wife. You may now kiss the bride.” Ralph gently lifted the veil and looked Sibyl in the eyes. He soaked up every detail: Her long black hair enframed her face, she had brown eyes and full lips. For this moment Ralph thought he had never seen anything more beautiful than her. As he leaned forward to kiss her, the crowd started cheering and applauding.

8marriageziu23mnv6e.jpg

Ralph Neville and his wife Sibyl de Montgomery

Last edited:
Reactions:
A good match and well written again.

A couple of small points of order though. Though Count was the Norman term for the same title, the English version was Earl and as far I remember William was keen to continue using those titles

The other thing: to the highborn Normans and the continental Europeans and followers who made up William's retainers and army drinking Ale was not so common: something for the more brutish Saxons and peasants to do. They would almost certainly have drunk wine or mead instead.

A good match and well written again.

A couple of small points of order though. Though Count was the Norman term for the same title, the English version was Earl and as far I remember William was keen to continue using those titles

The other thing: to the highborn Normans and the continental Europeans and followers who made up William's retainers and army drinking Ale was not so common: something for the more brutish Saxons and peasants to do. They would almost certainly have drunk wine or mead instead.

Thanks for the heads up. Regarding the title, I wanted to go for Earl but in the mod they are only called that once the English culture is formed. However I'll stick with Earl then if it's more appropriate to history. I'll make sure to let the Nobles only drink wine and mead from now on. :)

Thanks for the heads up. Regarding the title, I wanted to go for Earl but in the mod they are only called that once the English culture is formed. However I'll stick with Earl then if it's more appropriate to history. I'll make sure to let the Nobles only drink wine and mead from now on. :)
Good man! This is a well written story though-enjoying it so far ;)

Part III – The War of the Earls

29th May 1068 – Winchester

A murmur arose as King William and the Dukes of Northumbria and Lancaster entered the Great Hall. The long awaited moment had finally arrived. With a small gesture, the monarch commanded silence in the room. He passed the large scroll to his chancellor who enrolled it and started reading it out lout. An approving muttering sounded through the hall as the terms came to light one by one. Less taxes, fewer levies to provide in times of war and abolition of the King's Peace were just a few remarkable points in this long list.

Ralph Neville, Earl of Warwick, leaned towards his father in law.

“It seems they have gotten their way with the King” he whispered in Montgomery's ear.

“Indeed my son, that they have” the old man replied. “The northern Saxons still don't know their place even after we slaughtered them at Hastings.”

Actually, Ralph should have been glad about all the changes that would come with this agreement of peace. But he could not dispel the premonition that was murmuring in his guts.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ten months ago the Dukes of Northumbria and Lancaster, two Saxon brothers William had left in power to secure his northern border against the Scots, had taken up arms against the new Norman King, discontent with the foreigner's rule. Under the lead of Count Henry of Bearroc, the siblings formed a powerful alliance consisting of the Earls of Oxford, Gloucester, Huntinddon, Kent, Essex, Somerset and Devon. Their aim was to reduce the King's power as they thought his rights to be too vast.

4revolttorea13bkx6i80.jpg

The revolt of the Earls
(sorry for the bad quality)

Deprived of half his Kingdom, William could barely field 5000 men which he gathered around Winchester. Ralph had been ordered to the capital in August 1067, immediately after the first reports of skirmishes had reached Winchester. The King's most trusted military advisers had betrayed him and in the absence of more suited candidates he needed a capable Marshal to counsel him. Ralph was honored that the King had chosen him, but as time passed he understood that this would only be a temporary accolade for loyal battle hardened veterans were hard to come by in these times of turmoil.

5marshaloffe5vjh8asm1x.jpg

King William offers the marshal position to Ralph Neville

With his army the King marched on Windsor, the stronghold of Henry de Ferrers, leader of the revolt. Ralph was ordered to stay behind, tasked with the defence of the capital and the safety of the royal family should the King's army be defeated. Ralph had futilely advised King William against moving his forces away from the capital but the King had just laughed at him. Ralph remembered the conversation lively.

“At Hastings you were not so afraid, Warwick. Have those months of castle life already mollycoddled you?” The King's words had burned into Ralph's mind. You could call him many names but not coward. If someone else but the King had called him out like that he would have demanded satisfaction.

“Your grace, I merely believe that splitting our forces is not a good idea. Northumberland alone has mustered roughly 7500 men according to our spies. If the rebels combine their forces they could easily number twice as much.”

“As much as I value your opinion, Sir Ralph, this is just the lack of experience speaking out of you,” the King answered. “I have fought in many campaigns, you, despite your courage displayed, have only seen one battle. Let me give you some advice: If you can't beat the enemy in full force, make him split up his forces. This is why you will stay here. Without the army near it, Winchester will make a booty ripe for the taking. You will fortify it and make sure the rebel scum is delayed as much as possible when they turn their sight on the capital. Then I will crush their armies one by one. I am the rightful King; these Saxon pigs from the North will learn that sooner or later. Good luck, Sir Ralph. Keep my family safe!”

With these words William left the room.

Ralph could only stare after him. In the last months the King had changed. He still eagerly ruled the Kingdom with the usual diligence he displayed since the early days, however his gratuitous outbursts had enraged many a vassals. His arrogance in certain matters, just like this one, was a blemish on his otherwise remarkable character.

Being the Lord Connétable brought some advantages with it. The considerable remuneration was a welcome bonus to Ralph's revenue. Warwick castle could use some more defences in these precarious times. But strangely enough Ralph felt no worries when he thought about home. Although she was a woman, Sibyl had proven many times in their games that she was skilled in the art of war. In case of a siege she would surely do the right thing.

With a sigh Ralph looked at the map of Winchester. He would need more scouts to trawl the surrounding lands. A lot of work was still ahead...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Loud applause and cheering jolted Ralph from his thoughts. Next to him Montgomery went red with anger. “Did you hear that Ralph?" Montgomery could barely hold onto himself. "These fils de pute are seriously going to get away with it. They just got pardoned; this is unacceptable!”

“That was to be expected” Ralph thought. On his way to Windsor castle, William had been ambushed by a rebel force under the Earl of Somerset. William believed he could give battle and engaged Somerset. As rebel reinforcements under Henry de Ferrers, Earl of Bearroc, arrived en masse the King had to flee the field to avoid capture, at the expense of leaving his army behind. Massively outnumbered three to one and without a leader the Royal forces were utterly crushed; not a single man returned from the slaughter at Reading.

The King had tried to drag out the war through the winter, with decent success. But in May of the following year an enormous army of 12000 men laid siege to Winchester and William was forced to make peace. While technically the leader, Henry de Ferrers had left negotiations to the Dukes who abused their position soundly. The King was in a position of weakness and the Saxons had no moral qualms to exploit that as much as possible. Everyone present here had just witnessed the result.

6trucewl5izbny69.jpg

The truce between King and Earls

Last edited:
Reactions:
Ouch! That must've stung! I'm liking your writing style more and more sir! Looking forward to the next instalment

Thanks for the compliment, greatly appreciated. I am currently working on the next part, with the intent of uploading it either tonight or tomorrow.

Part IV – Good News

18th September 1070 – Warwick Castle

Sibyl's screams echoed through the castle as Ralph Neville entered the courtyard through the eastern gate. He jumped down from his horse, and left the reins to the ostler. The envoy had brought big news. With great haste he rushed up the stairs, taking two or three steps at once. Once he reached the chambers he was held up by Margaret, one of his wife's maids.

“My Lord, it would not be wise to go in there now. I promise you, Sister Ælfwynn is experienced and has helped many newborns into this world.” the woman said.

Ralph still felt uncomfortable about having a Saxon inside their bedroom. Regardless of the nun's abilities Ralph was still suspicious of these folk. Nevertheless, she was his best bet, if Sibyl should survive labour.

“I know, Margaret, but I need to see her. I can't leave her alone at her most serious hour. Let me through!” His voice became louder the more impatient he grew. The maid dared not to resist as the Earl of Warwick pushed her aside and stormed inside his chambers.

As Ralph stumbled into the room he could hear the nurse talking. “Breath m'lady, deep breaths. And now push. Yes, yes, you are doing very well.”

Glancing at the intruder Sister Ælfwynn's countenance turned into a resentful frown. “My Lord, what are you doing in here? Childbirth is women's business.” With a sweeping gesture and a high pitched voice she ordered Ralph to leave the room. Before he could respond the tiny nun had already pushed him through the door and shut both wings of it. One could hear a bolt snap in behind the heavy oak wood.

The maiden that had guarded the door from the outside sniggered on the quiet until Ralph withered her with an angry look. Now all he could do was wait.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The past two years had been relatively calm. After the civil war was over, Ralph could finally return home and see his wife again. They had their differences on certain matters but Sibyl made a good wife. She always animated him to strive for his limits and beyond that. And over the years you could say they established some kind of marital bliss, not quite like in the great love ballades of the troubadours but oh well, c'est la vie.

In Ralph's absence he left the castle in her and his marshal's hands. Hamelin de Conventry had proven a loyal friend and a great recruiter, making sure there was no shortage of levies.

Being the King's Marshal required a lot of time in the capital despite peace within the realm. As such Ralph was abroad quite often and while he was not particularly involved in the King's foreign affairs he overheard some interesting news from time to time.

In June last year Kaiser Heinrich had declared his sovereignty from the Holy Father in Rome and had instead made one of his Bishops the head of his church.

9antipopejtyu0sfowr.jpg

Antipope Benedictus X
As a response the Pope incited rebellions all over the Italian provinces of the Holy Roman Empire and under the lead of Mathilda di Canossa, a powerful noblewoman, many Dukes and Counts had risen up in revolt. After the Kaiser was slain in Battle the Antipope had been dethroned and the Italian states were granted independence.

The situation in France was similar. The King's uncle, Robert the Old fought against his liege because he saw his claim as stronger than the King's. With the support of the mighty Duke of Aquitaine the Frechmen had a great war ahead.

10hrefrenchliakqcf6sw.jpg

French and Kaiserliche Revolt
The scarce time Ralph was able to spend at home in Warwickshire he used to extend Warwick Castle and to spend some quality time with his wife. He also mastered the art of bow and arrow, although he never practised in public since the bow was considered a peasant's weapon. When Sibyl was in the mood he would ride out with her through the country side. The way she laughed when they rode beneath the willows in Priory Park made him smile each and every time.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hearing her screams of agony now through the walls filled him with pain. Out of a sudden the cries died down. Ralph rushed towards the door and battered loudly at it. “What's happening in there? Sibyl my love, are you all right?” he yelled “Open the bloody door!”

With a loud crack the bolt was removed and Sister Ælfwynn opened one wing. “My Lord, come to see your child. But I beg you, keep your calm, your wife needs the rest.”

Awestruck Ralph Neville made his way inside the chamber. There she lay, Sibyl had her eyes closed and breathed heavily.

“Is she all right?” Ralph whispered to Sister Ælfwynn.

“The labour has exhausted her my Lord, but she is a tough woman. She will make it through. Let her sleep for a while, I gave her some potions to ease the pain.” the nun replied.

“But where is my child? I need to see it!” Ralph felt something was wrong.

“My Lord, there have been complications.” The old woman chose her words carefully. “On the way out the umbilical cord was wrapped around your daughter's neck. It took her a long time to finally breathe.” Turning her head towards one of Sibyl's maidens she kept on going: “Mary, bring her over.”

From the other end of the room a young woman slowly made her way across. Ralph had made double the distance before he reached her.

Happiness flooded through his whole body as he carefully took the small bundle out of the servant's arm. Wrapped in swaddling bands it nearly looked funny. As he looked into his daughter's face for the first time, he could not hold back the tears. In big drops they rolled down his cheeks. At this very moment he was the happiest man on earth. Neither the nurse's worrying words nor the abnormal small and feathery bundle could change that.

13maudnevillfevop2gn5w.jpg
14maudnevilll5za1ndbkr.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions:
Why doesn't my HRE collapse like yours? :( Nevertheless well-written and liking it so far.

Are you playing an old version of this game?