• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

streaker77

Colonel
16 Badges
Mar 14, 2016
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • War of the Roses
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
A few days ago I decided to stop work on Rise of the Folkungs, and while I wont be beginning this for a little bit(Though I will put an intro chapter to set it up up pretty soon) I figured I would just create the thread and start the groundwork for it.

As the Title suggests this AAR will take place in Feudal Denmark in 1157 AD beginning with Valdemar the Great(Though whether he lives up to his namesake remains to be seen) Ive done a little research and I think I know enough to begin it at the end of a 10 year civil war between Valdemar and two other Claimnants, Canute V and Sweyn III, just before the blood feast of Roskilde which will be the first true chapter.

In terms of gameplay it will be slightly different than my previous AAR in several ways, the first being that illnesses will be turned up to make it more difficult to maintain a family( Especially in this case since Clan Estrid is pretty small) and I will also have raiding unrestricted since the Danes did quite a bit of that even after becoming Feudal. The later start should also help with bordergore as well.

Other than that most will remain the same, I will not be playing Ironman though I wont do any save-scumming unless something super unrealistic happens, and I will also be playing characters based on their traits so there will be times where the ''wrong'' decision is made.

Anyway this wont be truly started for a little bit, but I just figured Id create it now and I hope you enjoy because it should be entertaining.

20200303124118-1.jpg

Will look forward to when it begins.

As before, will get in on the ground floor for what is sure to be an interesting tale. :)

This sounds good. Interestingly enough, I've got an AAR I've been pulling together, though not ready to debut, in which Valdemar's daughter, Ingeborg, plays a critical part, but it takes place far from Denmark.

Sounds good!

My fav part of the map. Yes.
It really is an interesting area, though it is in some ways a similar culture to my previous AAR, the area that the AAR takes place in will likely be much different and focused in Germany/the baltic.

This sounds good. Interestingly enough, I've got an AAR I've been pulling together, though not ready to debut, in which Valdemar's daughter, Ingeborg, plays a critical part, but it takes place far from Denmark.
Will keep a look out for that! Though worth noting in this starting point Valdemar will be childless.

As before, will get in on the ground floor for what is sure to be an interesting tale. :)
glad to have you along!

Will look forward to when it begins.
Glad it looks interesting.

Sounds good!
Thank you, hope it is enjoyable.

A really interesting start date, too. I look forwards to see Valdemar's Baltic crusading.
It is, and while I have not played that far ahead, there will be plenty of war against the eastern pagans because Valdamar in this AAR is quite zealous.

Going to be keeping an eye on this :)
Good to hear :)

Intro
E4sHIWpuhmssIW8LYXJwitbHCOnhXeOi4-o4evwVF_I0Asc15NocMhvx7Aa_udne584k7IqNbtwfjH3osOVzY_u-zDApwEtDRXFYSAPlN8F1A_PCV-3LsYJYfHXNJqaUgnpLdplT

Denmark is much different than it was just 200 years ago, gone are the days of the Vikingr and memories of Thor and Odin are but distant memories as the Kingdom is by now fully christianized and much less wild than their distant kinsmen in the forests and fjords of Sweden and Norway. Influence from the Holy Roman Empire runs deep, and the Kingdom has been in a state of constant civil war and strife due to the throne passing hands countless times in the last 20 years.

The days of honorable Holmgang are long since done and assassinations are common, for it is easy for a man to gain the throne but keeping it proves to be a much harder challenge as the untimely death of many a King shows.

Our AAR begins towards the end of a decade long struggle between three claimants, Sweyn III, Canute V, and Valdemar Canutesson, a cousin of Sweyn, but the tale tale begins long before that.

NkPSkqprvhOkz-EumideRCGcIzk6jcnejBZnA4T9JlxGRV6Zm7NDMPx3ReHCMpSJ0quHHDfhbim0D9apr8GtAp9ZZ_IKwsKgfCo_DYg2dhhszEL9xoPiz9eIjXCJlRVEBCD9yIa2

20200303094845-1.jpg

20200303123859-1.jpg

Valdemars father, Canute Lavard was murdered just days before his birth by a man called Magnus the Strong due to competing claims on the Kingdom, though Magnus would never gain the throne.

Following this, the throne would go to Erik II, who was also murdered while attending a Ting, but not before siring a son, Sweyn III, though the boy was too young to inherit so the Kings nephew Eric III became the new King.

Eric III ruled well for several years, but the Kingdom was once again throne into war when he abdicated his title due to failing health, inciting a civil war between Sweyn III, son of Eric II and Canute V son of Magnus the Strong, while young Valdemar, a boy of 15 was too young to make a play for the throne.

Both Canute and Sweyn fought for many bloody years, and when Valdemar came of age he joined with Sweyn, and despite a brief truce to Crusade together against the eastern pagans, the civil war resumed and Sweyn won the throne forcing Canute into exile though he still made attempts to press his claim.

The Germans of the Holy Roman Empire tiring of the bloodshed on their northern border brokered a peace between the three claimnants, making all three of them Kings with Sweyn as the most powerful and for a short period of time there was peace, until Sweyn broke his word and refused to give the promised land to Canute V, Valdemar, by now a man in his mid twenties was perturbed by the influence the germans held over Sweyn and angered at his tyranny joined with Canute after being betrothed to his half sister Sofia, and together they forced Sweyn to flee to Germany, but the situation was far from over.

The german Duke of Saxony, Heinrich the Lion gave Sweyn an army to reclaim the throne and he arrived not long after, but by now the Danish nobles were tired of war and once again proposed that all three men share power as Kings, eventually this was agreed to and a feast was prepared at Roskilde for the three claimants to celebrate the end of the decade long civil war, and that is where our AAR begins.

(I hope this wasnt too much of a slog to get through but the first chapter which will come out some time next week will not be based on gameplay and while most of the things in the intro will be expanded and explained in more detail it might be a little hard to understand the basics of whats going on if I didnt include this.)

Certainly a messy state of affairs. Hopefully Denmark will attain some measure of peace in the near future -- but I fear that probably won't happen until at least two of the three claimants are underground.

Setting up nicely.

Nice setup indeed - good luck and I hope you manage to resolve all of your disputes through peaceful arbitration. :D

Good background summary. Any region of the continent Vladimir will strike at first?
The Baltic is filled with countless pagan tribes that can be conquered or at least made to pay tribute, and Valdemar will look to that region early on, but his armies may be needed somewhere else as well, somewhere far away from Scandanavia

Certainly a messy state of affairs. Hopefully Denmark will attain some measure of peace in the near future -- but I fear that probably won't happen until at least two of the three claimants are underground.

Nice setup indeed - good luck and I hope you manage to resolve all of your disputes through peaceful arbitration. :D
The next chapter is called the bloodfeast of Roskilde for a reason, and it, along with what comes after certainly will be bloody.

Setting up nicely.
Thanks

First chapter should be out tomorrow or Thursday

Chapter 1 The Bloodfeast of Roskilde
Lions of the North Chapter One
August, 1157, Outside Village of Roskilde

It was a clear and bright day as the retinues of King Valdemar of Jylland and King Canute of Sjaelland rode towards the city of Roskilde, where they were to meet King Sweyn of Skane for a few days of feasting and revelry to celebrate the recent peace which had ended well over a decade of civil war between the three men.

mIH1FlB5oY6wT6xNIi1JD7ZLN0KAjGMiHEsv2K3wDl3_rCuV_hvEqaGrouvfWmRmTExWbDemVjCgVDbt7XtYjNG-9WL0CByfTHSON79s8Be-dL43GWdyTbsjXh6VHpVuDbvpe2Ad

JvjHS42wS7itFkH5huDYhasbWglYw2lXVtDc2ZciPZozLtPw6dV-bgBJ-YcZbHCwupRufQF3INJ_E_iyxZGuzhGOoPbTUQYRr3965sVH2svyfGYGKJ3LZxMENK2nf_bfxvtXufig

SwJhAKTzE-AcTjhZ3KEiIKF0xIFIawp3tOWgNBs47lH-TRjeVq6JKobFlsgG3_4-yKgAOgGujmjc03AFJLYz2IhOgMOOjTgZboQnnZQcUc4Xp0qiuhTNGG8ogbMKmBRr00mI7Jps

The effects of the war had clearly been seen on the journey to Roskilde, burned barns, farmholds and fields littered the countryside, but as they got closer to Roskilde the landscape improved, the war had not gotten this far inland.

Valdemars silence was interrupted by Canute joining him ,his brother-by-law and ally, a rather large blonde haired man with an unkempt beard and green eyes.

Poor Beast Valdemar thought as he watched the horse struggle under Canutes hefty frame.

''Try and smile Valdemar....the war is over....we have won the peace.'' Canute said cheerfully.

Valdemar touched the silver cross upon his neck ''Christ willing...but we thought it was over before and Sweyn came back with an army of germans from Saxony.''

Canute spit to the side ''Aye, but it mattered not, we would have beaten them anyway and he knew it too, why else do you think he was so eager to negotiate this compromise.''

It was not the germans that negotiated this Valdemar was tempted to say, in truth it had been the Danish nobles that had practically demanded it, refusing to join in another bloody campaign to repel Sweyns allies.

After some negotiation, a compromise to avoid another war had been agreed upon by the three claimnants, Denmark would be split once again into three parts and distributed among them, which Sweyn had only agreed to under the condition that he would choose first.

King Sweyn had chosen the lands of Skane, rich farmlands to the south of Sweden, Canute had received the central islands of Sjaelland, and Valdemar had received Jylland or Jutland, the westernmost peninsula.

ACX88MP-JllQdS7X3C0Pp1bu8rrR8J5QksSii3pc2kOiDotq4Wx-QnSYu5dhNYgOx8WJ8njiAgUxl0palO6hvxCfizBpaK3aB8raYG_J3r8giQiErLpwTxVq2Tt6V9TRMKERxVay

''Let us hope this goes better than the last time.'' Valdemar said, this exact same idea had been done before some years prior in an attempt to end the civil war, Valdemar had been allies with Sweyn then, but he had switched sides and allied with Canute after Sweyn broke his word and refused to relinquish land and had pursued closer relations with the germans, something that perturbed Valdemar.

Canute shrugged arbitrarily. ''He should hope so for his own sake....this is his last chance, if he breaks his word again we shall have him killed like his own father Eric was...hack him to death in some church.''

Or like mine Valdemar thought with some annoyance, he had never met his father , the man had been ambushed in the woods and murdered just days before his birth by Canutes own father Magnus the Strong, though he did not blame his ally for that since he was only a child at the time.

Valdemar then realized that he had been silent for a moment and was expected to say something, he shook his head ''Not in a church.''

Canute chuckled ''I knew you would say that Valdemar....you are too pious, and besides I doubt Christ would mind us stepping on a worm such as Sweyn.''

''We are here to make peace Canute and I am not agreeing to anything....if Sweyn tries anything then we shall talk...but for now forget this talk of murder, we are getting close to Roskilde and he could have spies along the road.'' Valdemar said with some annoyance and spurred his horse forward and Canute made no effort to follow.

In truth Canutes arbitrariness disturbed Valdemar, despite being betrothed to the mans half sister Sofia who was currently awaiting him at a convent, he did not consider the man a friend and did not trust him in the slightest. The alliance and betrothal were made out of pure necessity, for at the moment Sweyn was the bigger threat than Canute, but Valdemar had no doubts by the way Canute spoke that the man would have no hesitations in attempting to murder him if it served his interests.

FbKMzb-Rif7gDjBAlcbwXR6RrVZtC0VDerjWT1ZsLlFouOfqVTtawkQuWu0A4V_2Ir-2zWg9iGqBclZQ09IkIRXpt8LAwC3tyNWO2qUQMSe33cFNowVp3A4nDmGhnkK8SQBf4oNZ

''Valdemar!'' A voice called from behind him.

Valdemar stopped his horse and smiled when he saw Absolon Hvide, one of his closest friends and advisers he had known since childhood. Following his fathers murder, Valdemar, just a babe then, had been sent to Svendborg castle on the island of Fyn to be educated and raised by the Hvide clan, and he considered Absalon his closest friend.

aZmaNlj5Tgu0T83mHBkQKKthPOF44RUkvwTgZhdqyAQC--J8kNCi-QIRiwtvwpuvph8Xjbv6zs7lwSi3Z3Q-L4flc-815lKFa8qOtJXVWPZsZyTTZ7O9py4HYXIrD-4e6ZmROu2K

Absalon caught up and they continued forward, Valdemars guards close behind.

''You look troubled Valdemar....and I couldnt help but notice you left Canute in some haste.'' Absalon said with concern.

''I could not stand to be around him any longer, he spoke to me of murdering Sweyn...in a church no less....I do not trust him.'' Valdemar said, lowering his voice so that his retainers could not hear.

Absolon shook his head in disgust ''I always had my doubts about the man after the incident with the Crusade...you are right not to trust him.''

Valdemar nodded his understanding. Sweyn had not been the only claimant to break his word, several years earlier back before Valdemar had staked his claim for the throne, Sweyn and Canute made a temporary truce to crusade together against the eastern pagans in an attempt to mend their differences and perhaps end the war, but Canute had contributed very little to the campaign, only sending a small and ill-equiped force, and most of the burden fell upon Sweyn, who was furious upon his return and the war resumed in earnest.

''I do not fear him.'' Valdemar quickly added ''If it comes to a war than I would easily defeat him....but I do worry that he would rather approach conflict by means of poisoned wine rather than battle.''

Absolon nodded ''We shall speak of this later my King, look, we have arrived at Roskilde.''

Valdemar looked up and saw that his companion was right, the coastal city of Roskilde came into view, and he could smell the sea...and the shit even from here. It was a prosperous city, but not much effort had been put into making it defensible and it only had a small pallisade and a moat winding around the length of the settlement which was only a few feet deep and could easily be crossed by a large double bridge leading to the city.

TM8MystlJYSw9gc-1sAP-iSQWGKvV9zpPBy6YcRaltnlc_z8hwXSOp-9tFY91IDkOGyXCgx4ThAsdmx1Xr0IRim6TtouFKQwCpVham3E8i8WcgDDJIq5ZJWu3D0xJYxRGooXv3N-

''Finally.'' Canute, who had rejoined them grunted and spurred his horse towards the city, his men trailing behind.

Valdemar had a strange sense as he approached the walls, but he too eventually entered.

They rode through the gates unopposed, a few guardsman on the walls nodding at them.

It hit Valdemar like a stone. He had been around many cities of course, and had been at many a war-camp while on campaign but Roskilde seemed worse, the smell from the fisheries and tanneries as well as the streets made for an unpleasant welcome.

''The sooner we get to the hall the better!.'' Canute said, spurring his horse faster.

Since they had decided to meet at the city rather than the nearby castle of Ringsted, they would not be feasting in a keep but rather the large home of the trade customs official near the docks which could seat near 100 men, perfect since each of the three Kings had agreed to bring 33 retainers each.

After a few minutes they arrived at the large building, where several of Sweyns men waited outside, armed with longspears, while several grooms helped them with their horses.

''What kind of welcome is this?'' Canute demanded.

The spearman bowed his head ''King Sweyn is waiting inside, the feast has been prepared and he looks forward to your company.''

''Exellent.'' Canute said, walking forward, but one of the spearmen hesitated and stepped in front.

''One small thing my lords.'' The man began with an apologetic voice and pointed at a pile of weapons outside the door ''My lord Sweyn has had his retainers disarm and in the spirit of peace and carousing he asks you to do the same.''

''I am a King.'' Canute said, and Valdemar nodded agreement, he did not like the idea of his men being disarmed.

''Surely you understand my lords, King Sweyn would not feel comfortable having his men disarmed in the hall without your retinues reciprocating, you have brought more men than he has after all.'' The spearman said, his apologetic attitude replaced with a firm tone.

Canute sighed and tossed his bearded ax to the ground and nodded for his men to do the same, Valdemar looked for his men to do the same and walked to the pile, kneeling and placing his sword on the ground, but when he was sure none of the guards were looking he moved a sheathed seax knife from his belt into his boot, Canute caught sight of this and laughed, shaking his head.

You can never be too careful Valdemar thought as he patted the weapon down so it was not noticeable.

The two Kings both walked inside the timber hall with their retinues close behind.

The hall was large and spacious, the first floor had several long benches for themselves and the 100 total retainers among the three kings, and each was spread with goblets and plates with many platters of fish, steaming bread, and of course large flagons of ale, none of which escaped Canutes attention who had a cheerful look on his face.

The second floor of the hall was accessible only by ladder and contained what were likely bedchambers, while the kitchen was in the back of the first floor behind the benches.

In the central bench, sat King Sweyn at the head of the table, who looked at them with little emotion. He was a tall man with short blonde hair and a well groomed beard with brown eyes that seemed to have a cruelness to them.

''I see you have placed yourself at the head of the table....I would remind you that we are all equal Kings in this agreement.'' Valdemar said, taking a seat to one side of Sweyn while Canute took the other.

''I was given the first choice of Kingdoms Valdemar...I believe I have the right to choose my own chair.'' Sweyn said, cutting a piece of fish on his plate. Many musicians walked in the hall and began to play fine music and the consumption of ale began in earnest.

There was a silence before Sweyn spoke again, turning to Canute ''A fine force you have brought with you, we would have had little difficulty beating the wends on the Crusade if you had shown as much enthusiasm for that as you do the attendance of feasts.''

Canute turned deep red ''I did not come here to be mocked Sweyn.''

Before Sweyn could respond, Valdemar raised a hand ''Let us not argue, Christ has given us the opportunity to end this bloodshed and our quarrels are done...let us celebrate this peace.''

''Celebrate then.'' Sweyn said, waving his hand towards the pitcher of ale in front of them, an invitation which Canute eagerly accepted.

Valdemar was more hesitant, fearing that Sweyn could have had the ale poisoned, though his concerns were lessened when he saw Sweyn drink from the same pitcher.

The feast went on, and the retainers grew more and more drunk while the gentle music put a relaxing mood upon the hall.

trpq88am_lREkmtzfvQHBE1RzU9iCJH2iRQHd798Oe0lpCuE7bxY317_gqmP02Ciwtj1HhRp2OK5k7Az8jIKP28MrOKyvQCkeDoCQUJQXjNvwlM-U9k-6EFSwGiOV5-MCk35qbij

''I understand that you have just recently had a son.'' Sweyn said to Canute, drinking from his cup.

''A boy and a girl....Valdemar and Hildegard.'' Canute said proudly.

K9BXwQ-Kt9zDqLt-UmZMEUrBPZA0IPjjmGK0hqPuv5i_20O0SH6j4UfAjVXriyGHk2gBhuQ95PNwZNceqpygePOi7qL-ln5i9-F1-gHRZnNJpAoyKIiIaRa0VL5-0aiiDqBFwks-

sZmaCEA0fY4UtKXzBcHP9A4pp7GMv5VbRCGjAKil7VBSB-NXkVevTijttUaV354JRrjmgyjowUb9wK3UNz1xw4tFkj3SvvMG6uRqiTlJ8IE3LkGZ2_-dIphGq0O48C7AU4kkYnad

''I too have a girl in Germany, Liutgarde.'' Sweyn said.

''A feast is one thing, but a betrothal would ensure a lasting peace.'' Valdemar suggested.

Sweyn chuckled ''My friends, we shall be here for several days, there is no rush to get to such important matters so early, especially not when the best part of the feast awaits!''

''And what might that be?'' Canute asked, his curiosity piqued.

''I have imported some french wine just for this occasion, several barrels at that, but it is delicate and I do not trust the servants to see to such a task without supervision for fear of them breaking it, you know how servants are, pray excuse me.'' Sweyn said, before rising and walking back into the kitchens.

''The man is more kitchen thrall than King....I do not like you proposing betrothals on my behalf Valdemar.'' Canute said when Sweyn was out of sight.

''I meant no harm in it and it impacts my kingdom as well, should the peace be broken between you two, my lands could be drawn into war once again into the conflict....a betrothal is not a bad idea...the peace must be preserved.'' Valdemar said, hiding his annoyance.

Canute sighed, before suddenly rising from his seat and raising his cup to the hall ''TIL FRAGEN, To the peace!''

Those that were sober enough returned the toast, though Valdemar noticed that none of Sweyns men made any effort to reciprocate the gesture.

Before Valdemar could chastize them for their behavior, the double doors suddenly swang open and a large collumn of men walked in, armored in mail,leather and gambesons and armed with a collection of axes, crossbows, spears and swords, a few retainers stood, but most were too drunk to even notice.

''What is the meaning of this!'' Canute demanded angrily, still standing.

The men did not answer.

It began in an instant, one moment they were standing in the doorway while the next they screamed a wordless warcry and charged the unarmed carousers, weapons raised.

Canute was one of the first to die as his side of the table was closer to the door and several men made a beeline right towards him.

Canute Magnusson attempted in vain to raise a hand, but a scarred man in mail brought down a heavy sword on his skull, sending a red mist through the hall in an explosion of blood and bone.

MBbgqSd8cNU5kLRb2MG9qrcmy9qDkzC5FiuYZQZ3xj5buHFMOJ3hCM3i4FFzxbfKTpFSmi9AmtYqSHX1hSoPgg92x4PZyfueLmhsUM_pYznzD7AlPDg0mNbL0bzkLHK8cMIJXLPW

Sweyns men in the hall had remained sober, and drew seaxe knives from their feast garb and began to join the attack against the surprised retainers of Canute and Valdemar, many of them not even being able to rise from their sitting positions before being butchered where they sat.

After Canute had been struck, Valdemar had gotten to his feet in surprise, but had little time before Canutes killers attempted to jump over the bench at him.

Valdemar, thinking quickly, managed to knock over some heavy brass candles onto the table, stopping them for a moment before he quickly began to run towards the wooden double doors.

One of Sweyns men had started a fire in the hall at some point and entire building was hazy and filled with smoke. Valdemar stumbled towards the doors, but he felt a strong hand on his shoulder.

''Not that way, go upstairs!!'' Absolon shouted and pushed Valdemar in the direction of the ladders.

Just seconds after this, many unfortunate retainers who had attempted to flee through the door were impaled by men with longspears waiting outside. Others ran into the kitchen but were trapped and quickly butchered by Sweyns men.

MbY7L6AuxrUx4SkFwm64PNsLWcHWPqQ6e5RaQUBczDeyY4iAY11sO8m45Qs5Lori2Kwvg08NMQoNgbxEYJMKv8GwiQWK3TM6QKlYSwYcVDKynyRTAl_yI1J4YfwtvvuKT9NJYd70

As Valdemar stumbled to the ladders, he caught sight of several men standing over the body of Canute, hacking his corpse over and over, one of them caught sight of Valdemar and ran after him.

Valdemar quickly scaled the ladder, daring not to look behind him, one of his retainers on the second floor attempted to help him up, but fell to his feet as a crossbow bolt hit him in the neck with a sickening thud.

He scrambled over the mans body and made his way into a room with an open window.

Thank Christ He thought as he made his way towards it, it was not a very high jump and it looked like he would survive.

Before he could jump however, he felt a sharp stabbing pain in the back of his leg and he crumpled to the floor, crying out in agony.

The man that had pursued him stood over him with a bloody spear, a triumphant expression on his face as he slowly raised the spear, preparing to bring it down on Valdemars unprotected chest.

It was then, seconds away from death that Valdemar for the first time remembered the seax in his boot and with a swift action he drew it from his boot and brought it upwards with all his might, right into the mans groin, twisting it, causing the man to howl in agony and crumple to the floor.

He then got to his feet with a grimace, withdrew his seax from the dying man and picked up the spear, and tossed both weapons out the window, and without wasting any more time hurled himself out the window, landing on the ground bruised but unharmed, though his wounded leg felt like it had been stabbed by ice.

Using the spear as support, Valdemar limped his way through the cobbled streets and into the night, the screams from the hall gradually growing quieter.

I will avenge this He thought, tired and exhausted, but fueled by adrenaline he continued on.

Valdemar was right, he would avenge Sweyns actions at the bloodfeast of Roskilde as it would be called.

He stayed for several days recovering in the house of a sympathetic villager before making his way to the coast and catching a ship back to Jylland where he was met by his friend Absolon, who had also managed to escape the carnage.

Hundreds of freeman, outraged by Sweyns treachery flocked to his banner and within two months he had assembled a powerful army.

King Sweyn knew of this and was determined to destroy the army before it grew any bigger so he sailed his army to the peninsula, though shortly after landing his ships would be destroyed by agents sent by Valdemar.

Sweyn, trapped and unfamiliar with the terrain blundered around the countryside for several days, futilely searching for his rivals army but having little success, and unaware that Valdemar was watching him the entire time.

Finally on the 23rd of October 1157, Valdemar and his army would move against Sweyns unprepared men at a swampy region called Grathe, attacking them with ferocity and savagery and showing no mercy.

Sweyn himself fled the battle into the swamps and bogs, losing his horse and weapons in the muck, when he was caught by a band of angry peasants he attempted to surrender, but was hacked to death with axes and would henceforth be known as Sweyn Grath for the place of his death.

Upon the deaths of Canute V and Sweyn III, Valdemar was left as sole King of all of Denmark.

so unsurprisingly from someone like Sweyn, but then again I also reckon Canute probably would’ve done the same a la poisoned wine if he had the opportunity

Off to a rip-roaring start - blood, vengeance and civil war. Seems to me the good old days of the Norse aren’t that far behind at all! ;)