• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I would like to see a more Astromineing heavy focused mineral production. But my fear is that wide Empires get to much advantage out of this. I hope they manage to balance it with the new Trading and Resource mechanics.

In conclusion the most important thing in a game is balancing. So if it isn't possible to make it play mechanically feasible with the current playable Empire types I can understand if they choose to implement the hole thing differently.
This can be solved by moving overall focus from "planet management" toward "system management" with planets being only a part of it, in almost every aspect (POP distribution included).
"Tall vs. wide" can be solved with something similar to EU province development, so you can heavily invest in overall "development level" of a system. You either grab system around and focus on "best spots" or consistently improve a handful of system. Maybe you can even do something like "meticulous surveying" to uncover new resources\anomalies in already explored systems if they are developed enough.

I am very interested to find out how the "Strata" mechanic works for Pops, as it is a separate category from citizenship and living standards, the previous most important ways to differentiate pops.

New planet interface, jobs, districts, etc
https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/1019924316656472065
Just your average Earth at the start of the game.
Did_e1QXcAAn3CS.jpg:large

Those look like population, mining, farming and energy districts, plus we can see a clear divide between different jobs... Otherwise, no idea what any of this would do! Wonder what each of the different jobs are for. Looks amazing, though.

Some things I noticed in the screenshot:

Every district can give 2 Pops work, as seen with 2 available mining districts and 4 miners, same with technicians and farmers.
Farmers and miners give 4 of their respective ressource per Pop in the Job.

There seems to be some other size besides planet size, located under the administrative "district". Its size (11) correlates with the number of "Terrain" Pictures underneath.

There are "artisans" as well as some form of culture or works of art, of which 2 are produced on this planet(maybe one per artisan?).

You do not start with a governor anymore.

"Unrefined" energy?

Yeah maybe.
I imagine that for that reason it is untradable (not shown in the market) and planet only (not a real ressourse) and would probably be only used to power things on the planet and you would need to transform it into credits for export.

Or it could be something totally different...