• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
The work on the 14.0.1 bugfix patch is rather far along. Please make sure to report any bugs you've discovered no later than Tuesday January 23rd; it'll take a while longer than that to finish the remaining work and testing, but stuff reported later risks falling in the "Too close to release to fix" pile, whereas stuff reported no later will land in the "Definitely look into prior to release" pile (whether that stuff actually will be fixed depends on the specifics; if it's an issue that can't be reproduced or that stems from a larger problem (e.g. "interesting" vanilla design that's messy to change right away), it might not be fixable or might require too much work to fix at the moment).

In other news, over 100 new historical (or history-adjacent) nicknames will be coming with 14.0.1; most of them (e.g. "Atterdag", "Curtmantle", "Longshanks", and "the Justicar") are just for historical characters (at least for now; some could perhaps be made obtainable down the line...), but some will be obtainable during gameplay (e.g. "the Fratri-/Sorori-/Patri-/Matricide", "the Illustrious", and "Dominus/Domina Mundi"). This is largely a change to vanilla characters, but I decided I'd rather be reasonably thorough than worry overly much about changing vanilla in this regard (and a few other minor regards; vanilla is a very silly place sometimes...). Below are a few examples (note: Not all nicknames shown are new additions).

ck2_8.png

ck2_11.png

• 1Love
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Update on some of the above:
- The various freckles traits seem to match CleanSlate exactly regardless of context, and I don't see any similar trigger issues in any of the log files.
- Tengri Bögü Yaghlakar's name looks proper without any edits on my end.
- Württemberg looks proper both on the title itself and in the province and map view without any edits, and the relevant file is a base CleanSlate file.
- "M el-M ch l" is probably Máel-Míchíl... and the relevant file has no visible encoding issues and is also a base CleanSlate file.

I can't see how the encoding would have fixed itself on my end, nor can I see any problems in the zipped versions in this thread, and unchanged CleanSlate files not included in the zipped versions can't really have broken as part of anything we have done.

I would suggest a clean install of Tianxia -- delete the entire \...\mod\Tianxia directory (don't simply paste a new one on top), and make sure you replace Tianxia.mod -- even if that might not change the name issues retroactively, and possibly also a fresh CleanSlate install; are you using the Steam version, by any chance (I have the latest GitHub release for that, so a Steam-exclusive issue might explain some of it)?
No I've been using the CleanSlate link from the linked post in your signature
But I can replace both mods with new ones later

I think there are some unintended consequences from the religious conversion events (SoA.4031/4032). In vanilla, the target can either refuse to convert (if not liege) or imprison the converter (if liege), with the bonus option of debating for a sufficiently Learned character. In Tianxia, the latter two are explicitly disallowed for Chinese/Japanese characters, which means that any liege asked to convert has no choice but to convert, no matter how high their Learning. Disallowing imprisonment makes sense due to religious tolerance, but religious tolerance doesn't mean that you simply believe whatever religion of the last person you talked to. Refusal and/or debate should be allowed for Chinese/Japanese lieges, in lieu of imprisonment. There is a difference between "having personal beliefs" and "imposing personal beliefs on others." Disallowing the latter shouldn't automatically disallow the former.

Also, a minor QoL change. When Grace events pop up for the EoC there is a section that says "the opinion of the court is to accept/neutral/reject." It would help readability a great deal if the accept/neutral/reject choice was in a different color or capitalized or otherwise highlighted to make it more obvious.

Last edited:
I'm away from my gaming computer right now + neglected to screenshot it, but I recall that whenever I'd zoom in close to the map with just Tianxia and CleanSlate installed, the graphics get all weird. All of the terrain stuff disappears, and if you're in realm mode, there will be giant pillars of the title's colours. Buildings and whatnot are still rendered. This was noticed after I installed the mod for the first time; when I switch over to any other set of mods I use, everything is just fine.

I think there are some unintended consequences from the religious conversion events (SoA.4031/4032). In vanilla, the target can either refuse to convert (if not liege) or imprison the converter (if liege), with the bonus option of debating for a sufficiently Learned character. In Tianxia, the latter two are explicitly disallowed for Chinese/Japanese characters, which means that any liege asked to convert has no choice but to convert, no matter how high their Learning. Disallowing imprisonment makes sense due to religious tolerance, but religious tolerance doesn't mean that you simply believe whatever religion of the last person you talked to. Refusal and/or debate should be allowed for Chinese/Japanese lieges, in lieu of imprisonment. There is a difference between "having personal beliefs" and "imposing personal beliefs on others." Disallowing the latter shouldn't automatically disallow the former.

I'll check on the inability to refuse to convert to their "vile heresy", because that certainly isn't an intentional change.

More generally, we will at some point -- not right now, because it's far too large to do in a bugfix patch, and not as part of the next few major versions, as it lost out against other options -- need to do a more thorough review/rework of a lot of vanilla religion stuff that breaks apart in a more tolerant place (vanilla has frequently failed to do that despite Dharmics, nomads, CI realms (and the WP), and Cosmopolitan reformations existing) or otherwise gets weird when vanilla's assumptions are invalid (sometimes even in vanilla contexts; 14.0.0 fixed a bunch of flawed "A man only ever has one wife at the same time" assumptions). Some smaller things can possibly be fixed sooner if we become aware of them, but between wanting to avoid scope creep and the need to approach some things in a more structured and thorough manner not everything can be fixed right away.

The above will also involve taking a good look at secret religions and SRSes, because those are pretty poorly thought out in various regards (but can't be fixed in short order because they're overall a mess).

About 85 % of Japan (accounting for already existing provinces as well as the flipped provinces just off the screen in Ryukyu) flipped all at once (the society had been around for a good while, but still), because the Tenno sure wasn't managing the Secret unreformed Ainu society. This is after some sanity tweaks to vanilla's even more atrocious setup -- Did you know base vanilla might have AI rulers randomly swap to secret religions even if Zealous, a rel head, a holy order, explicitly flagged to convert, or the like, simply because any spouse/consort (including rivals), demesne province, or friend has said religion (as their true religion if a character, publicly if a province)? -- and despite the religion having low MA and (prior to the society going public) few public adherents.

ck2_7.png

Also, a minor QoL change. When Grace events pop up for the EoC there is a section that says "the opinion of the court is to accept/neutral/reject." It would help readability a great deal if the accept/neutral/reject choice was in a different color or capitalized or otherwise highlighted to make it more obvious.

I'll look into making it a bit more obvious what the expectation is; might be coloured text, might be tooltips, might be rewrites, might be something else.

I'm away from my gaming computer right now + neglected to screenshot it, but I recall that whenever I'd zoom in close to the map with just Tianxia and CleanSlate installed, the graphics get all weird. All of the terrain stuff disappears, and if you're in realm mode, there will be giant pillars of the title's colours. Buildings and whatnot are still rendered. This was noticed after I installed the mod for the first time; when I switch over to any other set of mods I use, everything is just fine.

No idea what'd cause this; I vaguely recall hearing of something similar in general and seeing similar screenshots somewhere, but not in a Tianxia context. I certainly can't reproduce it on any mapmode, and anything I can't reproduce I can't even attempt to fix.

The decisions to ask for courtiers from China doesn't work at all, and the courtiers created from the recruit decisions doesn't have any traits.

Already reported, and already fixed internally; some scoping changes in the scripted effects broke the new_character scope.

After fresh replacements of both, I haven't found any of the previous encoding issues

Good to know; it'd have been annoying with an issue that persisted but that we can't reproduce.

I also found out the freckles problem I had was caused by a different mod

As a general rule, Tianxia is not compatible with any other mods outside the following exceptions:

- CleanSlate, since the mod now requires it to run in the first place,

- Our own Content Pack (note that there are plenty of DLC requirements there; check the Readme),

- Any mods specifically designed with Tianxia (and CleanSlate) compatibility in mind, and possibly

- Standalone mods compatible with CleanSlate that do not change any vanilla/CleanSlate files changed by Tianxia (which is a great many files); however, there might be issues related to features that do not mesh well with Tianxia as-is.

Reactions:
Good to know; it'd have been annoying with an issue that persisted but that we can't reproduce.

As a general rule, Tianxia is not compatible with any other mods outside the following exceptions:

- CleanSlate, since the mod now requires it to run in the first place,

- Our own Content Pack (note that there are plenty of DLC requirements there; check the Readme),

- Any mods specifically designed with Tianxia (and CleanSlate) compatibility in mind, and possibly

- Standalone mods compatible with CleanSlate that do not change any vanilla/CleanSlate files changed by Tianxia (which is a great many files); however, there might be issues related to features that do not mesh well with Tianxia as-is.
I've been modifying the mod in order to make it more CleanSlate (+ Tianxia) compatible

Also I think these errors persisted even after a fresh replacement of CleanSlate and Tianxia and removal of the other mod
[dynasty.cpp:1663]: Scripted Dynasty: Kabar has an invalid texture in their coat of arms, randomizing! [characterhistory.cpp:798]: Trying to add trait 'Cynical' despite character '1000000000' already having the opposite of it. [characterhistory.cpp:1378]: Same sex marriage. ID:1000012605 is married to ID: 1000012606 [characterhistory.cpp:1036]: Trying to remove trait 'Bastard' despite character '1000009008' not having it [characterhistory.cpp:1270]: Character history: Setting employer of Jason Ross ( 157106 ) to William de Crepon ( 6806 ) who can't have a court [characterhistory.cpp:1270]: Character history: Setting employer of Ruan Gai ( 242332 ) to Song Jiang 'the Timely Rain' ( 242300 ) who can't have a court

You might have already fixed this issue, but I got an adultery scandal event from my liege with one of my courtiers
When I exposed them,
  • The courtier received the adulteress modifier even though neither of them were married
  • The courtier received the cradle robber modifier even though she was the younger one
  • My liege received no modifiers
  • No opinion change
I'll check if I can find the exact event ID for this

Last edited:
I've been modifying the mod in order to make it more CleanSlate (+ Tianxia) compatible

Also I think these errors persisted even after a fresh replacement of CleanSlate and Tianxia and removal of the other mod
[dynasty.cpp:1663]: Scripted Dynasty: Kabar has an invalid texture in their coat of arms, randomizing! [characterhistory.cpp:798]: Trying to add trait 'Cynical' despite character '1000000000' already having the opposite of it. [characterhistory.cpp:1378]: Same sex marriage. ID:1000012605 is married to ID: 1000012606 [characterhistory.cpp:1036]: Trying to remove trait 'Bastard' despite character '1000009008' not having it [characterhistory.cpp:1270]: Character history: Setting employer of Jason Ross ( 157106 ) to William de Crepon ( 6806 ) who can't have a court [characterhistory.cpp:1270]: Character history: Setting employer of Ruan Gai ( 242332 ) to Song Jiang 'the Timely Rain' ( 242300 ) who can't have a court

You might have already fixed this issue, but I got an adultery scandal event from my liege with one of my courtiers
When I exposed them,
  • The courtier received the adulteress modifier even though neither of them were married
  • The courtier received the cradle robber modifier even though she was the younger one
  • My liege received no modifiers
  • No opinion change
I'll check if I can find the exact event ID for this

The error.log issues you highlighted are (in order):
- Unknown why it persists in the log; should be fixed since some time back.
- A Tianxia dev's Easter egg character; it's up to them to either fix it or indicate how they want it fixed before it gets changed.
- False positive likely triggered by when the marriage is scripted; the characters have the opposite sex.
- Leftover error from when the character in question had the "Bastard" trait to avoid succession weirdness ("fun" CK2 fact: The "Disinherited" trait does not prevent the children/etc. of the Disinherited character from inheriting from the characters the Disinherited character isn't eligible to inherit from); judging by this being a member of the Imperial Family (1000009080 is Go-Reizei; I've console-switched to him a lot during testing...) it potentially stretches all the way back to when the Tenno used Primogeniture.
- Vanilla.
- Vanilla, involving a merc company.

I'll check a bit more on the adultery stuff to see what's up with that; what we have is fairly close to what CleanSlate has (with no intentional changes to these things), which in turn should be what vanilla has, but if there's e.g. a missing negation or an inverted comparison it would explain some of these things.

Reactions:
The error.log issues you highlighted are (in order):
- Unknown why it persists in the log; should be fixed since some time back.
- A Tianxia dev's Easter egg character; it's up to them to either fix it or indicate how they want it fixed before it gets changed.
- False positive likely triggered by when the marriage is scripted; the characters have the opposite sex.
- Leftover error from when the character in question had the "Bastard" trait to avoid succession weirdness ("fun" CK2 fact: The "Disinherited" trait does not prevent the children/etc. of the Disinherited character from inheriting from the characters the Disinherited character isn't eligible to inherit from); judging by this being a member of the Imperial Family (1000009080 is Go-Reizei; I've console-switched to him a lot during testing...) it potentially stretches all the way back to when the Tenno used Primogeniture.
- Vanilla.
- Vanilla, involving a merc company.

I'll check a bit more on the adultery stuff to see what's up with that; what we have is fairly close to what CleanSlate has (with no intentional changes to these things), which in turn should be what vanilla has, but if there's e.g. a missing negation or an inverted comparison it would explain some of these things.
I didn't know there are easter egg characters

Several things I realized since my latest playthrough
  • I tried to get that seduction scandal event again but it didn't show up in the next few tries sorry
  • The "yaoyue" in Danjing yaoyue isn't capitalized (04_artifacts_books_china)
    • It also might be Danjing Yaojue
  • Encoded letter problems returned :( I don't really understand why, the ö in Bön religion is visible but that kind of character is invisible in a character name
  • 1 year into the game, a 6 year old with no kill list received the familial_kinslayer trait, there might be an issue with how that trait is assigned?
  • Error: [settlement.cpp:523]: Building 'tb_market_town_2' constructed in 'b_salalah' while the building it upgrades from is missing
  • Right now the logic for the celebrate lunar new year decision effectively limits you to celebrate every other year with how the cooldown is coded, I think it sets the timer one year after the event chain ends instead of at the beginning of every year
  • I don't know what happened, but the lny event chain has been telling me it is the Year of the Water Rooster for the past 3 celebrations, there may be an issue with the variable calculation? The first time I noticed was when it told me the Year of the Water Pig was ending and the Year of the Water Rooster started

Another thing is a suggestion for an event
  • If you have low health and one of those health books equipped (like the danjing yaoyue), you can ask your court physician to create medicine with a chance of increasing your health or giving you mercury poisoning

On the Github
Line 453 of 00_artifacts_tianxia.csv
I think you accidentally misspelled "magnificent" with "magnifcent"

Last edited:
Several things I realized since my latest playthrough
  • I tried to get that seduction scandal event again but it didn't show up in the next few tries sorry

It's quite possible a scandal won't fire off of a seduction, so that's not unexpected.

• The "yaoyue" in Danjing yaoyue isn't capitalized (04_artifacts_books_china)
    • It also might be Danjing Yaojue

Can confirm the typo. Unsure about the capitalization, since some quick online searches mainly show the lowercase (though I suppose the error could have propagated...).

• Encoded letter problems returned :( I don't really understand why, the ö in Bön religion is visible but that kind of character is invisible in a character name

If it's an encoding problem the explanation is simply that the encoding is broken in one place but not another; it's not all-or-nothing on a game/mod level. Which name(s) are broken this time (or what can you see of the broken names)?

• 1 year into the game, a 6 year old with no kill list received the familial_kinslayer trait, there might be an issue with how that trait is assigned?

Odd, but I'm not sure I can find anything based on just that information; it could be that the character killed kin but that the death reason doesn't have a killer (or a known killer, if it isn't your character...), it could be that a kinslayer trait is handed out to the wrong character (possibly even without someone dying), it could be the kill being credited to the wrong character), and possibly other things...

• Error: [settlement.cpp:523]: Building 'tb_market_town_2' constructed in 'b_salalah' while the building it upgrades from is missing

We've not changed most buildings (and those we've changed have generally only been changed in the "Who can build this cultural building?" regard). I believe it's a CleanSlate inheritance in turn inherited from vanilla (I've seen it prior to CleanSlate).

• Right now the logic for the celebrate lunar new year decision effectively limits you to celebrate every other year with how the cooldown is coded, I think it sets the timer one year after the event chain ends instead of at the beginning of every year

Consistent with how vanilla handles feasts, so WAD unless we end up doing a consistent change everywhere.

• I don't know what happened, but the lny event chain has been telling me it is the Year of the Water Rooster for the past 3 celebrations, there may be an issue with the variable calculation? The first time I noticed was when it told me the Year of the Water Pig was ending and the Year of the Water Rooster started

Sounds like one or more flags isn't being cleaned up; I'll check on it.

Another thing is a suggestion for an event
  • If you have low health and one of those health books equipped (like the danjing yaoyue), you can ask your court physician to create medicine with a chance of increasing your health or giving you mercury poisoning

1706460928173.png

On the Github
Line 453 of 00_artifacts_tianxia.csv
I think you accidentally misspelled "magnificent" with "magnifcent"

The word that keeps on giving as far as me recently having misspelled it, it seems (I recently fixed a bunch of "magnificients"); I can't even blame misreading a non-standard English word there...

Can confirm the typo. Unsure about the capitalization, since some quick online searches mainly show the lowercase (though I suppose the error could have propagated...).
I think if it was Danjingyaoyue the second part of the title wouldn't need to be capitalized
The general format of other books I looked up capitalize the beginning of every word or phrase and is also how it has been localized in the mod

Examples
  • Huangdi Neijing
  • Baopuzi
  • Han Feizi
  • I Ching

Or use a translated nam

If it's an encoding problem the explanation is simply that the encoding is broken in one place but not another; it's not all-or-nothing on a game/mod level. Which name(s) are broken this time (or what can you see of the broken names)?

Odd, but I'm not sure I can find anything based on just that information; it could be that the character killed kin but that the death reason doesn't have a killer (or a known killer, if it isn't your character...), it could be that a kinslayer trait is handed out to the wrong character (possibly even without someone dying), it could be the kill being credited to the wrong character), and possibly other things...
I will check again

There isn't really any "correct" way to capitalize Chinese transliterations, just conventions. Much like the breaks in words, it's an arbitrary distinction done for the sake of readability. It's equally valid to represent 丹經要訣 as Dan Jing Yao Jue or danjingyaojue or anything in between.

Last edited:
Does anyone have a look-up table for the chinese calendar year and the 60 year cycle?
I'm checking the lny event variables

A list of the naming issues
"Khan Ülüg of Yughur" is visible
"Könçög Yughur" is visible
"Örüñ Kulug" is visible
"Çeçeppi" is visible
"Yiltïs" is visible
"Öztoghdï" is visible
"Tämirbuqa" is visible

Issue with "Neg ril"
Issue with "Te rib g Yaghlakar"
Issue with " nu J ku"
Issue with " nu S k"
Issue with "Barçuq K rtile"
Issue with " ge Uzur"
Issue with "Gul i ek Uzur"
Issue with " e ek"
Issue with "Alfhildr sdottir Hede"
Issue with "Jarl Asbj rn of Finland"
Issue with " ahayah"
Issue with "Alcibay Bughra uulu Anuy"
Issue with "Katun Alcibay kyzy"
Issue with "Artu Yaghlakar"
Issue with "Lahp q"
Issue with "Khan T II rtogul Kimak"
Issue with "Maqra Uzur"
Issue with "Te riken Akhum"
Issue with "Khan B ri Ayakoz"
Issue with "Khanum Nayi tay Uzur"
Issue with "Khan Yagh i of Üzümcü"
Issue with "Khatun Y lgun of Uyghur"
Issue with "Khan IV g ne Yaghlakar"

I don't know if it was the correct zodiac and element for the year but it did say Water Horse -> Water Goat

Last edited:
There isn't really any "correct" way to capitalize Chinese transliterations, just conventions. Much like the breaks in words, it's an arbitrary distinction done for the sake of readability. It's equally valid to represent 丹經要訣 as Dan Jing Yao Jue or danjingyaojue or anything in between.

About what I expected.

Does anyone have a look-up table for the chinese calendar year and the 60 year cycle?
I'm checking the lny event variables

You don't need to spend your time doing that.

A list of the naming issues
"Khan Ülüg of Yughur" is visible
"Könçög Yughur" is visible
"Örüñ Kulug" is visible
"Çeçeppi" is visible
"Yiltïs" is visible
"Öztoghdï" is visible
"Tämirbuqa" is visible

Issue with "Neg ril"
Issue with "Te rib g Yaghlakar"
Issue with " nu J ku"
Issue with " nu S k"
Issue with "Barçuq K rtile"
Issue with " ge Uzur"
Issue with "Gul i ek Uzur"
Issue with " e ek"
Issue with "Alfhildr sdottir Hede"
Issue with "Jarl Asbj rn of Finland"
Issue with " ahayah"
Issue with "Alcibay Bughra uulu Anuy"
Issue with "Katun Alcibay kyzy"
Issue with "Artu Yaghlakar"
Issue with "Lahp q"
Issue with "Khan T II rtogul Kimak"
Issue with "Maqra Uzur"
Issue with "Te riken Akhum"
Issue with "Khan B ri Ayakoz"
Issue with "Khanum Nayi tay Uzur"
Issue with "Khan Yagh i of Üzümcü"
Issue with "Khatun Y lgun of Uyghur"
Issue with "Khan IV g ne Yaghlakar"

Okay; there's not really a pattern there, and I can't really check on a bunch of those since I can tell they're not scripted characters, e.g. there's no "Jarl Asbjörn of Finland" (for any spelling of the name) at any date.

However, I can tell that something has to be weird on your end, seeing as all versions of "Asbjörn" are in CleanSlate's 00_north_germanic.txt (or vanilla's 00_cultures.txt, but that file is not relevant), which we do not have an override for. I can also not see anything wrong with the encoding of the Altaic names on my end.

I don't know if it was the correct zodiac and element for the year but it did say Water Horse -> Water Goat

Horse -> Goat would be in the correct order, and there is always two successive years with the same element before the element switches, so it could be correct, though without knowing which year it was it's impossible to say if it actually was correct.