• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Dev diary 78 - Bugfixing and teasers

Work on the 14.0.1 bugfix patch is about to begin. We currently have about 250 assorted issues to investigate (and hopefully fix; some are vaguer "Check this" or "Maybe tweak this" items...) on the list -- and might potentially throw in a few smaller additions from the "Nice to have" list -- so it will take some time (more than a week, probably less than a month) to get it ready, but if you have discovered any bugs that you've not reported yet I'd encourage you to report them fairly soon to increase the chances of them being fixed as part of 14.0.1; barring any critical issues being discovered, there won't be any further bugfix patches ahead of 14.1.0.

Speaking of 14.1.0, here are the (very loosely connected to the contents) code names for 14.1.0, 14.2.0, and 14.3.0: "Journeys", "Rebirth", and "Fury" (respectively). In a non-specific order, one of these will (hopefully) be rather broadly applicable, one will flavourify one or more religions, and one will add a new and fairly unique society.

The actual name and broad scope of 14.1.0 will be revealed shortly after 14.0.1's release. The other two will be revealed around when work on them begins.

Reactions:
My coop friend had noticed a lot of women in japan were being assigned homosexual trait and this bug is probably why. Any other places to report bugs or should I do in here always?

event.png

About the imprisonment thing I'm still looking to reproduce.

My coop friend had noticed a lot of women in japan were being assigned homosexual trait and this bug is probably why. Any other places to report bugs or should I do in here always?

Here's fine; even when attempts were made to get people to post in a dedicated thread nearly all bug reports ended up here.

WAD; sexuality is not a choice, and that event now properly reflects that. The event options here now merely decide if you get some follow-up event.

There is however a related bug where the opposite sex version at least in some circumastances hands out the Homosexual trait, which probably has resulted in the trait being more common than it usually is. That is a bug that will be fixed.

About the imprisonment thing I'm still looking to reproduce.

Okay; I'll be looking into it from my end, but if it's some odd edge case then it will be hard to fix.

• 1Haha
Reactions:
View attachment 1072217
I have gotten an imprisonment bug as well always says that the permanent regent would not approve despite not having one

Okay; it sure looks like the Japanese logic isn't working as it should for some council logic. It'll be fixed.

1704838093118.png

1704838109784.png

The decision and event for the special chinese courtiers seems to just create a character with no traits. I have three character just like this guy from the physician, engineer and bureaucrat decisions and during my campaign the event also did the same.

Here this guy is a traitor, most of them are loyalists and it still says something about "this would be high treason", giving me tyranny for rightfully imprisoning, I also have no regent by the way. (Also I'm a horde)

cant imprison rightfully.png

missing loc.png

Friend of mine asked me to ask this, she's a duchess in japan (viceroyalty), fabricated claim on the neighbor but when clicking declare war only border dispute shows up as an option. Her government is japanese feudal, is this normal?

More of a loophole than a bug, but the fact that Eastern religions (Buddhism/Taosim/etc) can designate heirs makes Agnatic Primogeniture something of a joke for obvious reasons. Personally I would prefer if Chinese Succession was made mandatory the same way Japanese Succession currently is. Would certainly fit with all the bloody and contested successions historically, at least for the emperor, though it would make plenty of sense for CI vassals as well since government positions were appointed rather than simply inherited. Either way you've got a lot of powerbrokers weighing in.

On a somewhat related note, perhaps the position of Grand Chancellor should be mandatory as well? I thought the addition of GC laws was a nice touch, and could be adjusted if necessary, but even the most autocratic rulers couldn't do everything themselves. Would also allow vassals to make more power plays.

Here this guy is a traitor, most of them are loyalists and it still says something about "this would be high treason", giving me tyranny for rightfully imprisoning, I also have no regent by the way. (Also I'm a horde)

Might be the Tenno bug; the loc could speak of treason rather than sacrilege...

Huh; odd that a loc bug has gotten past the Validator, but will be fixed.

Friend of mine asked me to ask this, she's a duchess in japan (viceroyalty), fabricated claim on the neighbor but when clicking declare war only border dispute shows up as an option. Her government is japanese feudal, is this normal?

Sounds a bit odd, but there might be a reason for it. If you can ask, the following information would be useful:

- Is the Border Dispute CB greyed out?

- Is it a strong claim, or is the target someone that'd be possible to press a weak claim on (e.g. a child)?

- Are there any relevant NAPs?

- Is the target or the attacker's top liege a tributary of someone?

- What is the government, culture, and religion of the target?

- Is the target independent or in the same realm?

- What is the government, culture, and religion of the title holder and any lieges that aren't the target?

- Is the title the county of Yamashiro?

View attachment 1072310
View attachment 1072311
The decision and event for the special chinese courtiers seems to just create a character with no traits. I have three character just like this guy from the physician, engineer and bureaucrat decisions and during my campaign the event also did the same.

Something with the relevant scripted_effects seems to be acting up where they are referenced; it'll be investigated and fixed.

More of a loophole than a bug, but the fact that Eastern religions (Buddhism/Taosim/etc) can designate heirs makes Agnatic Primogeniture something of a joke for obvious reasons. Personally I would prefer if Chinese Succession was made mandatory the same way Japanese Succession currently is. Would certainly fit with all the bloody and contested successions historically, at least for the emperor, though it would make plenty of sense for CI vassals as well since government positions were appointed rather than simply inherited. Either way you've got a lot of powerbrokers weighing in.

We won't make the Chinese succession law mandatory as there were cases where Primogeniture explicitly was the law (e.g. Goryeo for much of its existence) rather than more of a suggestion with varying amounts of adherence, and at least one situation with a completely different system ((Ma) Chu). We might however look into making it more common, e.g. by adding a faction to force the liege to adopt it when eligible.

Vassals wouldn't necessarily work well with the law, and it doesn't allow the successor to be from a different dynasty, so it might not model things very well (and viceroyalties are a thing that partially covers the less hereditary aspects). I'm also not sure how expensive succession voting is from a performance standpoint; there's voting in e.g. Elective Gavelkind in a ton of places, but it might be a concern to have it for "all" bureaucrats.

On a somewhat related note, perhaps the position of Grand Chancellor should be mandatory as well? I thought the addition of GC laws was a nice touch, and could be adjusted if necessary, but even the most autocratic rulers couldn't do everything themselves. Would also allow vassals to make more power plays.

We will not make the GC mandatory, particularly as there were periods where there definitely wasn't one (e.g. early Yuan) and as the position requires Conclave + JD. However, we might further tweak how easy it is to become the GC at some point, and will at a point add more stuff to make bureaucratic vassals (and possibly some people at court) play differently and have more tools to be various flavours of corrupt, disloyal, or otherwise troublesome.

A small addition that's coming with 14.0.1: The Saio and Saiin will now be referred to as such.

ck2_12.png

• 1Love
Reactions:
Still haven't gotten the emperor giving a county event yet but I have found a broken name and the boon for asking to be one of the emperor's commanders is not showing up on the emperor but is on everyone else.
Name Weirdness.png
Boon Wrong 1.png

Boon Wrong 2.png

Still haven't gotten the emperor giving a county event yet but I have found a broken name and the boon for asking to be one of the emperor's commanders is not showing up on the emperor but is on everyone else.

Thanks; the dynasty name issue has now been fixed internally, and the other issue should at the very least have been fixed as far as the decision showing up on the wrong character goes (I can't see any reason why it wouldn't show up on the EoC).

Reactions:
00_artifacts_tianxia.csv
History of the Northern Dynasties is mistakenly labelled History of the Southern Dynasties

soh_artifact_decisions.txt
04_artifacts_books_china.txt
Wuzi has an art_of_war_page_effect = 1 but it's not in the soh_artifact_decisions.txt's decision, and the decision is also called study_the_art_of_war

When spamming the request artifact button, sometimes it doesn't give an artifact (maybe it's a duplicate item?) when I get the event where I am supposed to get one

Troops sent to Lijiang are visually sent to Yongchang

My dynasty coat of arms customizer also cycles through the same patterns twice but I don't know if that is an issue with this mod

Also, is there a reason why people with the possessed trait appear so often during my playthroughs?

Last edited:
00_artifacts_tianxia.csv
History of the Northern Dynasties is mistakenly labelled History of the Southern Dynasties

Should be straightforward to fix.

soh_artifact_decisions.txt
Wuzi has an art_of_war_page_effect = 1 but it's not in the soh_artifact_decisions.txt's decision, and the decision is also called study_the_art_of_war

I'll look into that; I don't remember if it was supposed to be included or not.

When spamming the request artifact button, sometimes it doesn't give an artifact (maybe it's a duplicate item?) when I get the event where I am supposed to get one

Can't say for sure without knowing what you already have and what the event claims you're getting, though if by "spamming" you mean taking the decision several times before you've closed the reply event there might perhaps be issues due to flags being cleared at the wrong time for the next request (which we probably should block to be on the safe side...).

Troops sent to Lijiang are visually sent to Yongchang

Will check and fix.

My dynasty coat of arms customizer also cycles through the same patterns twice but I don't know if that is an issue with this mod

Likely working fine -- there are some sets that have some overlap (e.g. the first 40 Shinto/etc. CoAs are two unique and 19 pairs of duplicates), and there are sets that could look like duplicates if the colour picks match (e.g. the background could have diffeerent colours on each side of the centre, but both are set as the same red) -- and the CoA picker interface isn't something we have changed (and possibly not something that can be changed at all).

Also, is there a reason why people with the possessed trait appear so often during my playthroughs?

Not that I know of; is there a pattern, e.g. you've had the same event chain recently, they share a culture/religion/gender and several other traits, or anything else than the Possessed trait tying them together?

Can't say for sure without knowing what you already have and what the event claims you're getting, though if by "spamming" you mean taking the decision several times before you've closed the reply event there might perhaps be issues due to flags being cleared at the wrong time for the next request (which we probably should block to be on the safe side...).
Spamming as in editing in ten thousand grace points and repeatedly using the Request Artifact decision.

It might be your guess how it clears flags, but I had always closed the reply event before re-hitting the decision button. Otherwise, save-scum and wait another day or two before re-asking.
Likely working fine -- there are some sets that have some overlap (e.g. the first 40 Shinto/etc. CoAs are two unique and 19 pairs of duplicates), and there are sets that could look like duplicates if the colour picks match (e.g. the background could have diffeerent colours on each side of the centre, but both are set as the same red) -- and the CoA picker interface isn't something we have changed (and possibly not something that can be changed at all).
Okay
Not that I know of; is there a pattern, e.g. you've had the same event chain recently, they share a culture/religion/gender and several other traits, or anything else than the Possessed trait tying them together?
I'll check in my next run for possible patterns
It's possible it could be a coincidence or because of a large diplo range with a lot of people but I had the feeling it was as frequent as the homosexual trait with that bugged event

There was also an issue with the incestuous adultery modifier but I see it's already on your list.

A lot of people were possessed at the start of my next run, they had a possessing_courtier character flag.

I've also been receiving a lot of errors about freckles
[triggerimplementation.cpp:9541]: Unknown trait-type freckles in trigger [triggerimplementation.cpp:9541]: Unknown trait-type freckles_4 in trigger [triggerimplementation.cpp:9541]: Unknown trait-type freckles_5 in trigger [triggerimplementation.cpp:9541]: Unknown trait-type freckles_2 in trigger [triggerimplementation.cpp:9541]: Unknown trait-type freckles_2 in trigger [triggerimplementation.cpp:9541]: Unknown trait-type freckles_2 in trigger [triggerimplementation.cpp:9541]: Unknown trait-type freckles_2 in trigger [triggerimplementation.cpp:9541]: Unknown trait-type freckles_2 in trigger [triggerimplementation.cpp:9541]: Unknown trait-type freckles_2 in trigger [triggerimplementation.cpp:9541]: Unknown trait-type freckles_3 in trigger [triggerimplementation.cpp:9541]: Unknown trait-type freckles_3 in trigger [triggerimplementation.cpp:9541]: Unknown trait-type freckles_3 in trigger [triggerimplementation.cpp:9541]: Unknown trait-type freckles_3 in trigger [triggerimplementation.cpp:9541]: Unknown trait-type freckles_3 in trigger [triggerimplementation.cpp:9541]: Unknown trait-type freckles_3 in trigger [triggerimplementation.cpp:9541]: Unknown trait-type freckles_3 in trigger [triggerimplementation.cpp:9541]: Unknown trait-type freckles_3 in trigger [triggerimplementation.cpp:9541]: Unknown trait-type freckles_3 in trigger [triggerimplementation.cpp:9541]: Unknown trait-type freckles_3 in trigger [triggerimplementation.cpp:9541]: Unknown trait-type freckles_3 in trigger

There's also an error with Unknown trigger-type: "has_dharmic_or_reformed_trigger" at file: line: -1

The Character Background in the Ruler Designer (mine at least) is incrementing by 2 instead of 1, and from 0 to 27 background it cycles through evens or odds

Tonlé Sap doesn't register the "é," similar to the issue with House L and master_lus_spring_and_autumn_annals artifact.

lessons_for_women (quality 5) and womens_analects (quality 4) are two different books with the same modifiers is that intentional

Last edited:
A lot of people were possessed at the start of my next run, they had a possessing_courtier character flag.

Sounds like that flag might be relevant to check, though it might also be a "This Possessed character was selected in an event chain" if event targets/opinion modifiers weren't used. Strange if you have it at the very start, however.

I've also been receiving a lot of errors about freckles
[triggerimplementation.cpp:9541]: Unknown trait-type freckles in trigger [triggerimplementation.cpp:9541]: Unknown trait-type freckles_4 in trigger [triggerimplementation.cpp:9541]: Unknown trait-type freckles_5 in trigger [triggerimplementation.cpp:9541]: Unknown trait-type freckles_2 in trigger [triggerimplementation.cpp:9541]: Unknown trait-type freckles_2 in trigger [triggerimplementation.cpp:9541]: Unknown trait-type freckles_2 in trigger [triggerimplementation.cpp:9541]: Unknown trait-type freckles_2 in trigger [triggerimplementation.cpp:9541]: Unknown trait-type freckles_2 in trigger [triggerimplementation.cpp:9541]: Unknown trait-type freckles_2 in trigger [triggerimplementation.cpp:9541]: Unknown trait-type freckles_3 in trigger [triggerimplementation.cpp:9541]: Unknown trait-type freckles_3 in trigger [triggerimplementation.cpp:9541]: Unknown trait-type freckles_3 in trigger [triggerimplementation.cpp:9541]: Unknown trait-type freckles_3 in trigger [triggerimplementation.cpp:9541]: Unknown trait-type freckles_3 in trigger [triggerimplementation.cpp:9541]: Unknown trait-type freckles_3 in trigger [triggerimplementation.cpp:9541]: Unknown trait-type freckles_3 in trigger [triggerimplementation.cpp:9541]: Unknown trait-type freckles_3 in trigger [triggerimplementation.cpp:9541]: Unknown trait-type freckles_3 in trigger [triggerimplementation.cpp:9541]: Unknown trait-type freckles_3 in trigger [triggerimplementation.cpp:9541]: Unknown trait-type freckles_3 in trigger

Strange; I don't think we've done anything with the freckles traits, and the varioua freckles traits should exist in CleanSlate and thus not throw any errors. I'll see what I can find.

There's also an error with Unknown trigger-type: "has_dharmic_or_reformed_trigger" at file: line: -1

Looks like a copy-paste error; easy enough to fix once I find it, and that shouldn't be very hard. Curious that I've not seen it in the Validator, however...

The Character Background in the Ruler Designer (mine at least) is incrementing by 2 instead of 1, and from 0 to 27 background it cycles through evens or odds

We haven't touched the Ruler Designer (aside from setting some traits/religions to not show up), so I'm not sure what's up with that; I suspect a CleanSlate inheritance. Might be the portrait properties, but I don't recall us making any major changes to the backgrounds. I'll take a look, but I am not certain it's something we can fix, and the Ruler Designer is pretty close to the bottom when it comes to our priorities (I'd say it just barely beats the EU4 Converter and roughly ties with Shattered/Random Worlds), so if it's not an easy fix it'll not be fixed anytime soon.

Tonlé Sap doesn't register the "é," similar to the issue with House L and master_lus_spring_and_autumn_annals artifact.

Likely an encoding-related issue, in which case it should be easy to fix.

lessons_for_women (quality 5) and womens_analects (quality 4) are two different books with the same modifiers is that intentional

The modifiers should be different; I'll have to check how best to change them, but one or both will be changed.

Sounds like that flag might be relevant to check, though it might also be a "This Possessed character was selected in an event chain" if event targets/opinion modifiers weren't used. Strange if you have it at the very start, however.
Sorry, I meant "start" as in the first year or two.
Reloading a save, the first had appeared within the first 3 days and there were about 20 possessed by the end of year 1
possessing_courtier wasn't common until years 2 to 3 where there were about 90 total characters and probably 2/3 of them had that event flag

Better phrasing would be I don't know if this level of frequency for possession is intended

While counting, I also found more encoding character issues
  1. c_wurttenberg
  2. I found a character named "M el-M ed c" He's a lowborn so there might be a problem with the name generator rather than a hardcoded dynasty name
  3. But I think Khagan "Tengri B g " Yaghlakar is hardcoded with the same issue
We haven't touched the Ruler Designer (aside from setting some traits/religions to not show up), so I'm not sure what's up with that; I suspect a CleanSlate inheritance. Might be the portrait properties, but I don't recall us making any major changes to the backgrounds. I'll take a look, but I am not certain it's something we can fix, and the Ruler Designer is pretty close to the bottom when it comes to our priorities (I'd say it just barely beats the EU4 Converter and roughly ties with Shattered/Random Worlds), so if it's not an easy fix it'll not be fixed anytime soon.
Probably a CleanSlate issue then
The modifying character appearance decision has a related issue where it also changes the background
The modifiers should be different; I'll have to check how best to change them, but one or both will be changed.
For Women's Analects, maybe remove the negative women's opinion modifier since it was written by two ladies? But I laughed so hard at the negative opinion modifier for the Lessons for Women

Also the Heirloom Seal of the Realm has a can_have_confucian_bureaucracy_and_eastern_imperial_only_religion_trigger that I think functions properly, but it doesn't mark which conditions were fulfilled

Sorry, I meant "start" as in the first year or two.
Reloading a save, the first had appeared within the first 3 days and there were about 20 possessed by the end of year 1
possessing_courtier wasn't common until years 2 to 3 where there were about 90 total characters and probably 2/3 of them had that event flag

Better phrasing would be I don't know if this level of frequency for possession is intended

Noted. I'll have to check where the flag is set before I can tell if it is intentional.

While counting, I also found more encoding character issues
  1. c_wurttenberg
  2. I found a character named "M el-M ed c" He's a lowborn so there might be a problem with the name generator rather than a hardcoded dynasty name
  3. But I think Khagan "Tengri B g " Yaghlakar is hardcoded with the same issue

Sounds like more encoding issues, yes, which can be fixed once they are tracked down (which isn't too hard).

For Women's Analects, maybe remove the negative women's opinion modifier since it was written by two ladies?

Might be an option, though I don't remember how the overall stats compare to similarish T4/T5 artefacts.

But I laughed so hard at the negative opinion modifier for the Lessons for Women

Working as intended, then!

In all seriousness, it felt like a reasonable addition and a good way to make the artefacts in question less generic.

Also the Heirloom Seal of the Realm has a can_have_confucian_bureaucracy_and_eastern_imperial_only_religion_trigger that I think functions properly, but it doesn't mark which conditions were fulfilled

Can't really be helped if it's the conditions for that trigger; various tooltips would be too large to fit if that condition and similar ones were expanded.

Update on some of the above:
- The various freckles traits seem to match CleanSlate exactly regardless of context, and I don't see any similar trigger issues in any of the log files.
- Tengri Bögü Yaghlakar's name looks proper without any edits on my end.
- Württemberg looks proper both on the title itself and in the province and map view without any edits, and the relevant file is a base CleanSlate file.
- "M el-M ch l" is probably Máel-Míchíl... and the relevant file has no visible encoding issues and is also a base CleanSlate file.

I can't see how the encoding would have fixed itself on my end, nor can I see any problems in the zipped versions in this thread, and unchanged CleanSlate files not included in the zipped versions can't really have broken as part of anything we have done.

I would suggest a clean install of Tianxia -- delete the entire \...\mod\Tianxia directory (don't simply paste a new one on top), and make sure you replace Tianxia.mod -- even if that might not change the name issues retroactively, and possibly also a fresh CleanSlate install; are you using the Steam version, by any chance (I have the latest GitHub release for that, so a Steam-exclusive issue might explain some of it)?