Ask Paradox (almost) Anything Thread (no support/tech or code questions)

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
  • 2Haha
Reactions:
On the topic of time/calendar, one thing I would actually really like in all the games is to have a weekday date format option. This might not always be Monday-Tuesday-Wednesday etc. for some games (Imperator, Stellaris) and parts of the world (Ming in EU), but it should be just a simple rotation through preset day names, so minimal code weight.

Last edited:
Reactions:
What's your default approach for dealing with contradictory historical information where you need to pick a side (e.g. when deciding who holds a certain province, or which date something happened), assuming the sources are roughly equally reliable; do you pick what you think is most interesting, flip a coin, do an internal poll, or do something else?

• 1Like
Reactions:
What's your default approach for dealing with contradictory historical information where you need to pick a side (e.g. when deciding who holds a certain province, or which date something happened), assuming the sources are roughly equally reliable; do you pick what you think is most interesting, flip a coin, do an internal poll, or do something else?

This is always a case by case thing, and one that we are often willing to reevaluate as new information/interpretations might arise. One strength of our games is that since we keep updating them we can as a rule revisit most things if we find good reason to do so (and we often do) :)

Funnily enough it is a lot more common that there is no information than that there is contradictory information. It would still be a case by case call looking at what is most likely and with an eye to what is interesting though. I would say a common situation where a call like this has to be made is that we have information a few years prior and a few years after but none for the exact date we want to cover.

Depending on where it is in the world we might also have good information long after and only vague information around the specific date we want to cover. There are def. many judgement calls to be made, and that is why I am honestly quite happy we are often able to revisit them :)

• 4Like
Reactions:
Recently You Have added Quick Start to Stellaris and every time i go to select an empire it selects quick start instead of my the empire i created last . how do i remove quick start from the Game .

It seems that Paradox is intent on sabotaging this amazing game . First you scrap administation for empire size and now this crappy Quick start option . Could we at least have an option to remove quick start so we can load our advanced games with out this poor empire start . please and thank you .

Drackonous

Reactions:
Recently You Have added Quick Start to Stellaris and every time i go to select an empire it selects quick start instead of my the empire i created last . how do i remove quick start from the Game .

It seems that Paradox is intent on sabotaging this amazing game . First you scrap administation for empire size and now this crappy Quick start option . Could we at least have an option to remove quick start so we can load our advanced games with out this poor empire start . please and thank you .

Drackonous
This thread is only for topics not covered elsewhere. Please post this in the relevant game forum.

Reactions:
So I just discovered that the store is no longer accessible, redirecting me to the Paradox Interactive's official website. I learned that this was temporary, as the store will be returning at some point, with no date given. I was curious as to the background of this. I couldn't find any official announcement regarding this temporary closure of the store. If there is one, could someone kindly redirect me to it? I was wondering if it was closed for some kind of make-over or something. Need details. Inquiring minds want to know! :p

• 1Like
Reactions:
I have a question about in-game and trailer artwork fair use:

I am now writing an article for my high-school magazine owned and published by organization consists of high school students. The article is about introducing Paradox games to the readers, and I want to use the artworks and in-game screenshots as background. May I ask if this use of these artworks considered fair use? If not, is it possible for me to obtain the permission of using these artworks in my article? Hoping to receive a answer from the Paradox staff members, thanks in advance.

And here is the original post:

• 1Like
Reactions:
I came across some news articles from over a decade ago talking about a mobile company Herocraft porting Hearts of Iron and Majesty to mobile, and their cancellation. What did ever happen to these games? I looked through HeroCraft's game catalogue and noticed a game that looked similar enough that I considered the thought of it being stemmed off of the cancelled HoI port but I don't know. Apologies in advance if this is indeed the wrong thread to ask!

• 1Like
Reactions:
Hello,

One of my big goals is working in paradox, Is it too late to study computer science for 5 years and I am now 30 years old?
Also I am not EU citizen, Any chance for me?
Not at all! We've got people of all ages and age is nothing that really comes into play when applying for a job. If you've got the skills, right attitude and a passion that's pretty much what we're looking for.

Not being an EU citizen is also not a problem. It probably adds a bit to the application process but we've got people from the US, Asia, UK etc so nothing is really impossible.

Hello ladies and gentlemen,
First, please excuse my english, I'm doing my best but it's not much.
I would like to know for sure if I can buy and play smoothly DLCs for a game on a another platform than the one I have the main game.
For exemple, if I have the Steam version of a game, can I play extensions/DLCs from GOG or Epic games without a PHD in code engineering?
Thank you very much.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Hello ladies and gentlemen,
First, please excuse my english, I'm doing my best but it's not much.
I would like to know for sure if I can buy and play smoothly DLCs for a game on a another platform than the one I have the main game.
For exemple, if I have the Steam version of a game, can I play extensions/DLCs from GOG or Epic games without a PHD in code engineering?
Thank you very much.
No you cannot. You need to buy expansions for the same platform you own the basegame.

Not at all! We've got people of all ages and age is nothing that really comes into play when applying for a job. If you've got the skills, right attitude and a passion that's pretty much what we're looking for.

Not being an EU citizen is also not a problem. It probably adds a bit to the application process but we've got people from the US, Asia, UK etc so nothing is really impossible.
Don't give up on your dreams TheEagle1! I got my Computer Science degree at 39 years old after a 20-year career in a non-tech field. Now I work as a software engineer for a major software company, living my dreams.

• 4Like
Reactions:
How many (approximately) current Paradox employees have been either working for or associated with the company since the days of the original two Europa Universalis games? I recall it was a small team, but I see some of the current staff and employees on here go back to then. Whether they were hired much later or not remains unclear though.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Hello,

have you ever considered designing a grand strategy game in high fantasy settings?

You can combine race mechanics from Stellaris, RPG elements from CK, add some magic and you will create a game many gamers would die for (or I would, at least).

In any case, thank you for the great games you have created (and others you have published).

Thanks

Reactions:
How do you get the historical data for your games? Are there some existing databases for provincial economics and assessed skills of generals and so forth, do you go thru huge piles of books and archival records to create your own assessments, or just guess something and wait for possible corrective suggestions by users? Assuming not guessing, do you credit your sources as in scientific articles, if so, where? If you do your own research, how far is it from being a publishable scientific article, eg. "economic development accross the world in 1444"?

Do you have separate coders and historians (and of course artists and marketing and whatever) or "just" coders with historical interest?

I haven't noticed (perhaps my bad) competition in the grand strategy market with similar level of detail. Is it just due to the size of the market, or are there relevant copyright/plagiarism/etc issues? Eg. if someone was to produce a game in which a 1444 map would look a lot like EU4, could Paradox sue them?

• 1Like
Reactions:
Hello,

have you ever considered designing a grand strategy game in high fantasy settings?

You can combine race mechanics from Stellaris, RPG elements from CK, add some magic and you will create a game many gamers would die for (or I would, at least).

In any case, thank you for the great games you have created (and others you have published).

Thanks
Im watching so many super hero movies. Id like a super hero using to control the world game. thats a terrible idea haha

but ya i cant wait to see whats next

i like stelarris but some of the voice acting dlc is really not meeting paradox standards

How do you get the historical data for your games? Are there some existing databases for provincial economics and assessed skills of generals and so forth, do you go thru huge piles of books and archival records to create your own assessments, or just guess something and wait for possible corrective suggestions by users? Assuming not guessing, do you credit your sources as in scientific articles, if so, where? If you do your own research, how far is it from being a publishable scientific article, eg. "economic development accross the world in 1444"?

Do you have separate coders and historians (and of course artists and marketing and whatever) or "just" coders with historical interest?

I haven't noticed (perhaps my bad) competition in the grand strategy market with similar level of detail. Is it just due to the size of the market, or are there relevant copyright/plagiarism/etc issues? Eg. if someone was to produce a game in which a 1444 map would look a lot like EU4, could Paradox sue them?

Honestly a lot of it is from wikipedia and other online sources these days (the HoI oobs rely heavily on Niehorster etc.). We do have a research library, and add books to it when we need some more in-depth info on a specific issue. But the historical facts are only a starting position, before balancing starts. So with a general for example, we would look them up either online or in the library, and see what is known about this person. If they were famous defenders they get a bonus point to defense skills for example, but if that turns out to be too powerful, we might remove it again.

While I think our games have started to edge close to being a very comprehensive picture of the world at the various starting dates, I don't think it would stand up to scientific scrutiny, because of the balance concerns overriding strict historical accuracy. Our game mechanics are also always, to a certain degree, abstractions and generalizations, and historical precedent is a set of extremely messy specific cases. Every game has their one famous edge case that is historically correct, but runs counter to the entire underlying structure and mechanics of the game (the Duke of Normandy for CK3 being both King of England but a vassal of the King of France comes to mind) We also don't usually update our databases when new research becomes available, we only really update when we are reworking some content anyway.

As for historians, we have both. Our Content Designers and Game Designers are the people mostly concerned with the historical starting setups, and quite a few have history degrees (some even PhDs), but we also have a lot of people in other disciplines who have a keen interest in history. We don't have any dedicated historians whose only job it is to research stuff - that is generally done by the CDs and Game Designers.

The reason why there have been few successful attempts at Grand Strategy Games outside of Paradox is primarily, I think, because making a GSG is not a small task by any definition, and it isn't very scalable. You can't really make a "small" GSG - you'd just make a regular strategy game. Game Development is a lot about risk management, and there are few companies where you can come and say "hey, I would like to pay a person half a million Swedish Crowns per year to figure out what the political structure of central India in the 11th century was like, down to the level of individual baronies. This isn't going to make us any money directly, but we can build a game on that research. That's gonna take a lot more people and several more years, but it'll be good, trust me, once we have added the other 20 game mechanics that all have to be there to make the game work." That is a big outlay of money with no guaranteed return on that investment. Paradox mitigates that risk by having a) a bunch of people who have shown that they can figure out the political structure of southern India in the 11th century and b) a large database where that work was already done from previous games.

I'm not going to comment on the legal issues because copyright law is difficult at the best of times and a lot would depend on the specific case.

• 1Like
Reactions: