Ask Paradox (almost) Anything Thread (no support/tech or code questions)

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Oh wow, thats certainly interesting and tells me that Jomini might be the reason there is a big team shift, probably to massively optimise the existing portfolio which it can clearly do from some of the snippets in your links. So Jomini is probably being retrofitted, wonder what that means for ClauseWitz development in general. Still would be interested to know if Clausewitz fixes are actively put into existing games but probably not.
The older games are not gonna be retrofitted with Jomini, wayyy too much work for not enough gain with the amount of tech debt.

Fixes and updates to Clausewitz sometimes do get ported back, and forwards, between the different versions. But generally everything pre Imperator is forked on their own version of Clausewitz where the game team is now solely responsible instead of our engine team. The newer games all share one version of Clausewitz and Jomini where any updates are there from one team is then there for another, either for free if its just a strict fix or improvement or for a lower cost of needing to hook in a new system instead of make it from scratch.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I have some questions:

1 Could be added earlier start dates for CKIII? I liked to start in 700 AD and would love to start even earlier in future Dlcs
2 Making sugestions on rearangement of provinces or mistakes in the map or else map related in CKIII or other similar games worth doing ? because requires some efforts to put together the info but if is not considered then I guess is not worth.
3 Is Asia expansion possible technically in CKIII?
4 Same question as above but about converters from a game to another like Empire -->CKIII--->EUIV---> VictoriaIII ---> HOIIV etc?

Reactions:
I have some questions:

1 Could be added earlier start dates for CKIII? I liked to start in 700 AD and would love to start even earlier in future Dlcs
2 Making sugestions on rearangement of provinces or mistakes in the map or else map related in CKIII or other similar games worth doing ? because requires some efforts to put together the info but if is not considered then I guess is not worth.
3 Is Asia expansion possible technically in CKIII?
4 Same question as above but about converters from a game to another like Empire -->CKIII--->EUIV---> VictoriaIII ---> HOIIV etc?
This is best asked in the CK3 forum. ;)

Reactions:
I'm guessing the answer is either "we don't know yet" or "probably not", but are there plans for an in-person PDX Con 2022 (assuming the pandemic has ended by the fall)?

Reactions:
  • 2Haha
Reactions:
On the topic of time/calendar, one thing I would actually really like in all the games is to have a weekday date format option. This might not always be Monday-Tuesday-Wednesday etc. for some games (Imperator, Stellaris) and parts of the world (Ming in EU), but it should be just a simple rotation through preset day names, so minimal code weight.

Last edited:
Reactions:
What's your default approach for dealing with contradictory historical information where you need to pick a side (e.g. when deciding who holds a certain province, or which date something happened), assuming the sources are roughly equally reliable; do you pick what you think is most interesting, flip a coin, do an internal poll, or do something else?

• 1Like
Reactions:
What's your default approach for dealing with contradictory historical information where you need to pick a side (e.g. when deciding who holds a certain province, or which date something happened), assuming the sources are roughly equally reliable; do you pick what you think is most interesting, flip a coin, do an internal poll, or do something else?

This is always a case by case thing, and one that we are often willing to reevaluate as new information/interpretations might arise. One strength of our games is that since we keep updating them we can as a rule revisit most things if we find good reason to do so (and we often do) :)

Funnily enough it is a lot more common that there is no information than that there is contradictory information. It would still be a case by case call looking at what is most likely and with an eye to what is interesting though. I would say a common situation where a call like this has to be made is that we have information a few years prior and a few years after but none for the exact date we want to cover.

Depending on where it is in the world we might also have good information long after and only vague information around the specific date we want to cover. There are def. many judgement calls to be made, and that is why I am honestly quite happy we are often able to revisit them :)

• 4Like
Reactions:
Recently You Have added Quick Start to Stellaris and every time i go to select an empire it selects quick start instead of my the empire i created last . how do i remove quick start from the Game .

It seems that Paradox is intent on sabotaging this amazing game . First you scrap administation for empire size and now this crappy Quick start option . Could we at least have an option to remove quick start so we can load our advanced games with out this poor empire start . please and thank you .

Drackonous

Reactions:
Recently You Have added Quick Start to Stellaris and every time i go to select an empire it selects quick start instead of my the empire i created last . how do i remove quick start from the Game .

It seems that Paradox is intent on sabotaging this amazing game . First you scrap administation for empire size and now this crappy Quick start option . Could we at least have an option to remove quick start so we can load our advanced games with out this poor empire start . please and thank you .

Drackonous
This thread is only for topics not covered elsewhere. Please post this in the relevant game forum.

Reactions:
So I just discovered that the store is no longer accessible, redirecting me to the Paradox Interactive's official website. I learned that this was temporary, as the store will be returning at some point, with no date given. I was curious as to the background of this. I couldn't find any official announcement regarding this temporary closure of the store. If there is one, could someone kindly redirect me to it? I was wondering if it was closed for some kind of make-over or something. Need details. Inquiring minds want to know! :p

• 1Like
Reactions:
I have a question about in-game and trailer artwork fair use:

I am now writing an article for my high-school magazine owned and published by organization consists of high school students. The article is about introducing Paradox games to the readers, and I want to use the artworks and in-game screenshots as background. May I ask if this use of these artworks considered fair use? If not, is it possible for me to obtain the permission of using these artworks in my article? Hoping to receive a answer from the Paradox staff members, thanks in advance.

And here is the original post:

• 1Like
Reactions:
I came across some news articles from over a decade ago talking about a mobile company Herocraft porting Hearts of Iron and Majesty to mobile, and their cancellation. What did ever happen to these games? I looked through HeroCraft's game catalogue and noticed a game that looked similar enough that I considered the thought of it being stemmed off of the cancelled HoI port but I don't know. Apologies in advance if this is indeed the wrong thread to ask!

• 1Like
Reactions:
Hello,

One of my big goals is working in paradox, Is it too late to study computer science for 5 years and I am now 30 years old?
Also I am not EU citizen, Any chance for me?
Not at all! We've got people of all ages and age is nothing that really comes into play when applying for a job. If you've got the skills, right attitude and a passion that's pretty much what we're looking for.

Not being an EU citizen is also not a problem. It probably adds a bit to the application process but we've got people from the US, Asia, UK etc so nothing is really impossible.

Hello ladies and gentlemen,
First, please excuse my english, I'm doing my best but it's not much.
I would like to know for sure if I can buy and play smoothly DLCs for a game on a another platform than the one I have the main game.
For exemple, if I have the Steam version of a game, can I play extensions/DLCs from GOG or Epic games without a PHD in code engineering?
Thank you very much.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Hello ladies and gentlemen,
First, please excuse my english, I'm doing my best but it's not much.
I would like to know for sure if I can buy and play smoothly DLCs for a game on a another platform than the one I have the main game.
For exemple, if I have the Steam version of a game, can I play extensions/DLCs from GOG or Epic games without a PHD in code engineering?
Thank you very much.
No you cannot. You need to buy expansions for the same platform you own the basegame.

Not at all! We've got people of all ages and age is nothing that really comes into play when applying for a job. If you've got the skills, right attitude and a passion that's pretty much what we're looking for.

Not being an EU citizen is also not a problem. It probably adds a bit to the application process but we've got people from the US, Asia, UK etc so nothing is really impossible.
Don't give up on your dreams TheEagle1! I got my Computer Science degree at 39 years old after a 20-year career in a non-tech field. Now I work as a software engineer for a major software company, living my dreams.

• 4Like
Reactions:
How many (approximately) current Paradox employees have been either working for or associated with the company since the days of the original two Europa Universalis games? I recall it was a small team, but I see some of the current staff and employees on here go back to then. Whether they were hired much later or not remains unclear though.

• 1Like
Reactions: