[Megathread] Leviathan Release Problems

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Hey BjornB, i am a software developer myself. In company where i work when we are having "an incident" on production, and our customers are not getting thier financial statements on time, we are working overtime until it gets fixed. (that can even mean that we would work all night) Usually that means a fixed and stable version within hours, not days or weeks. Unfortunetlly there are different standards in banking sector than in game development. You take us for granted, i belive that is a big mistake.

Some of those bugs can be fixed within literally minutes, asking all the players that just bought your game to wait for days or weeks is insulting. I am aware that some of the bugs need deeper code analsysis, but for the love of god, those missing assets, broken mission trees and null pointer exceptions can be fixed even today.
In my very first job as a bartender, it took me almost a full hour to prepare a couple drinks because I was by myself at the bar and had zero experience. I felt like shit afterwards, but at least all guests liked the drinks.

Imagine if they paid me in advance and I said it'd take a week!

• 7Haha
  • 1Like
Reactions:
If you release exceptionally poor quality products at exorbitant prices without fixing the mess you made before, then perhaps you should expect to receive some flak. I haven't seen the devs attacked personally; but the quality of the product, the ridiculous DLC policy and so on is completely fine to attack. When the Devs then finally emerges to us mortal beings, and they completely ignore the criticism leveled, then people get toxic. I don't condone toxicity, but I do understand it.

They've become increasingly distant to their customers. Whether because of hubris or because they don't care, I don't know. I still, I try to believe that individual devs do care, but the stakeholders don't give a damn. To them, we and the product is nothing but numbers in an excel ark.
they probably become distant because they get bombarded with comments by us, and it doesnt even need to be toxic commentary. if you got 1000 DMs a day it would be straight up impossible to answer all of them. you might say: but its their job to listen to customer feedback! - maybe it isnt, maybe they have got a feedback department, maybe nobody looks at feedback, maybe all the forum-interactions we have with the devs are just happening because they want them to happen. because they DO care about their fans. but it can get quite annoying to keep answering the same questions and having to deal with criticism that you cant answer or isnt even your fault. if i was a dev i would probably just be annoyed by the people and try to do my work as good as possible and thats it. theres a pretty high chance that pdx is just understaffed

Reactions:
We are working to have the 1.31.1 patch out as soon as possible. I will not try to excuse any issues going around as I prefer to show with actions rather than words that we take matters seriously.

I do see some reports in here however which I suspect may be caused by outdated mods, like crashes almost immediately on starting the game. So please make sure your mods are disabled until updated to avoid problems.

• 15Like
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
wait.. so you're refunding it only to buy it later? might as well not bother and keep it then
It's what EVERYONE should do. We as the customers need to make a point that we won't put up with this kind of behaviour. If they keep profiting from these tacticts than their company culture won't change.

• 2Like
Reactions:
we are working overtime until it gets fixed. (that can even mean that we would work all night)
Let's not advocate for abusing workers. I'm sorry your sector is like this.

As for PDX management, please don't rush releases. Give your developers more time, they can't be working at 100% speed during a pandemic, while forming a new studio.

• 3Like
Reactions:
The Devs are the least responsible people for this mularkey. If you want to blame someone blame the greedy corporate stooges greenlighting/forcing the release of unfinished products and driving the current business agenda at Paradox.

• 1Like
Reactions:
We are working to have the 1.31.1 patch out as soon as possible. I will not try to excuse any issues going around as I prefer to show with actions rather than words that we take matters seriously.

I do see some reports in here however which I suspect may be caused by outdated mods, like crashes almost immediately on starting the game. So please make sure your mods are disabled until updated to avoid problems.
Please take as much time you need. I'll not die if I need to wait for a few days, weeks, or even a month.

But, PLEASE, give us a working game then.

• 9Like
Reactions:
Let's not advocate for abusing workers. I'm sorry your sectors is like this.

As for PDX management, please don't rush releases. Give your developers more time, they can't be working at 100% speed during a pandemic, while forming a new studio.
We are not forced to work, we are willing to do so. It is called responsiblity and decency. If tens of thousands of people rely on your software, you do not want to let them down.

• 12Like
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
The Devs are the least responsible people for this mularkey. If you want to blame someone blame the greedy corporate stooges greenlighting/forcing the release of unfinished products and driving the current business agenda at Paradox.

And you have evidence that it was the case with this release that the higher-ups said release it even though it's FUBAR? Or was it just incorrect information from the dev team to the higher-ups about when it would be ready then cowardly NOT telling the higher-ups they needed to push back release because it isn't going to be ready on time? Both of those are very real possibilities.

Reactions:
This is why I stopped checking Steam Reviews in general. They have become a tool for haters and trolls, and are rarely ever used by people who like games.
When I want an honest opinion, I google reddits and such. But of course, if you want to make a critical post then using sources like this is the cheapest way to create an image that you are right.

As for this DLC, Leviathan was developed as the game transitions from experienced PDS developer to newly recruited Tinto developers. I didn't check yet how well the patch is doing, but I was not expecting anything ambitious (DDs made it clear this is more of a very big ROTW content pack than an actual mechanical expansion) and I'll be very surprised if it was less buggy than average.
Reddit is reddit opinion tho, notoriously low bar, although mods here do a fair bit of censorship, although it's more on ck3 than other sub forums

Reactions:
Hey BjornB, i am a software developer myself. In company where i work when we are having "an incident" on production, and our customers are not getting thier financial statements on time, we are working overtime until it gets fixed. (that can even mean that we would work all night) Usually that means a fixed and stable version within hours, not days or weeks. Unfortunetlly there are different standards in banking sector than in game development. You take us for granted, i belive that is a big mistake.

Some of those bugs can be fixed within literally minutes, asking all the players that just bought your game to wait for days or weeks is insulting. I am aware that some of the bugs need deeper code analsysis, but for the love of god, those missing assets, broken mission trees and null pointer exceptions can be fixed even today.
For the real world the backlash of customers anger is much more tangible than in gaming, and pretty much in every civilized country there is an authority that deals with product quality. In gaming there is little to no such thing, broken games or DLCs upon release are trivial. Now imagine releasing a car in a similar state, a surgery equipment, building a house that falls down.

The issue is the world wide web, it has little overseeing authority. Because if you expect companies to behave without a Damocles' sword over their head, think again. If Paradox would be fined, be sure that the top brass will enforce a high quality product policy upon release.

Else, who cares? The wage is the same, vacation days the same, so why bother?

Reactions:
And you have evidence that it was the case with this release that the higher-ups said release it even though it's FUBAR? Or was it just incorrect information from the dev team to the higher-ups about when it would be ready then cowardly NOT telling the higher-ups they needed to push back release because it isn't going to be ready on time? Both of those are very real possibilities.
either way, dont harass anyone. everyone is allowed to criticize, just dont make it personal/insulting. its not that hard to contain one's criticism to the product.

You can always load back with steam for the latest official release of each patch you know right?
Yes I know about betas but by copying the game folder to another location I can play an older patch by launching the .exe from that folder (with a shortcut) and also I can check up on the newer up to date version where it originally is in my Steam folder. No time wasted with switching with downloads or updates getting in the way.

Reactions: