[Megathread] Leviathan Release Problems

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I can confirm the checksum for this patch is identical to that found in the YouTuber preview build. Furthermore, I strongly suspect this is the same build Groogy used on stream some three weeks ago.

• 2Haha
Reactions:
He could be saying that to save face, and 1.31.1 is the true build...

Eh who am I kidding... Just...LEARN from this. Take your time.
Releases used to work well back in the day.
After years of developing games, what do they need to learn? Frankly I agree, releases USED to work, but I wonder if maybe the learning needed is to stop overstretching themselves.

Reactions:
BjornBs reply was as if these issues, some so obvious that even loading the countries that Leviathan were sold on should reveal them, were unknown to Paradox. When people legitimately think they're getting a wrong version, noting down bugs to fix is extremely discouraging, exactly because it means this version was the planned one (Albeit presumably sans all the bugs and placeholder art). That was what I tried to say. I won't and don't suggest that Paradox lies about the wrong version.
I don't think this is how this reply should be interpreted.

He said that the issues "are scheduled to be fixed in the 1.31.1 patch", not something like "I will pass the report on to the devs".
Something that is already part of the plan for an upcoming hotfix cannot be something that the devs were not aware of before.

• 2Like
Reactions:
First game in 1.31 playing the Wurundjeri in 1444 Looks as if they've westernised already in Oz. The history books forget about this... This is just the patch and not with Leviathan.

wurundjeri1444.jpg

• 11Haha
Reactions:

He said that the issues "are scheduled to be fixed in the 1.31.1 patch", not something like "I will pass the report on to the devs".
Something that is already part of the plan for an upcoming hotfix cannot be something that the devs were not aware of before.
This is a fair and charitable interpretation that can be afforded companies which do not abuse such fairmindedness with almost every DLC, and which has a confirmed history of never releasing placeholder art.

Reactions:
19,000 players playing right now - 104 reviews, 50 negative.

Steam reviews, this forum, huuuuuuuuuuuuuuge minority. We have no idea what the masses think, they're playing the game and not commenting. Literally 99% of the people playing the game literally right now haven't commented. Who knows how many more are at work or unable to play at the moment.

• 3Like
Reactions:
Most DLCs of most games have at best mixed reviews. Gamers just don't like paying a lot of money even if the content is worth it ( and especially if they feel it isn't)
Then go check most Warhammer II: Total War DLC ratings. Or Battle Brothers DLCs or Don't Starve.
People don' like shovelware.

Fanbois are a dangerous bunch to listen to because when Mythic released Warhammer: Age of Reckoning fanbois screamed how things are Great and that anyone who discagrees is a hater and a troll. A few years later I came back and on forums same fanbois screamed how having a total of 100 people online was great and those don't like it should not play this game as it is already doing fine. 4 month later Mythic shut down WO:AoR.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Will 1.31.1 be a hotfix available by next week or a regular patch that we’ll see in one or two months?

We hope to have 1.31.1 out next week

^ this - I just confirmed that the fixes are in the 1.31.1 build. It doesn't excuse the assets missing in 1.30.0 however.

• 30Like
Reactions:
19,000 players playing right now - 104 reviews, 50 negative.

Steam reviews, this forum, huuuuuuuuuuuuuuge minority. We have no idea what the masses think, they're playing the game and not commenting. Literally 99% of the people playing the game literally right now haven't commented. Who knows how many more are at work or unable to play at the moment.
People are playing right after release and then this will usually happen:
ntsm9d.jpeg

Every patch have a spike and it is staying time that matters. When people are not getting bored by bugs and absurd mechanics but came back to the game so concurrent players will stay he same.
So far EUIV and Stellaris are the most glaring examples of fluctuating playerbase, losing more players than HoIIV. Stellaris is the worst in that case, being able to reach HoIIV daily concurren player numers ONLY durink free weekends and patch releases. And EUIV is slowly becoming Stellaris v2.0 in that case.

• 2Like
Reactions:
This is typical in the PDX life cycle. First they release shovelware and then try to fix it without really succeeding.
Sometimes you might get a version in a games cycle where it's actually fun.

I think the company needs a complete culture makeover to avoid this sort of stuff, but then again, this cycle might be desirable.

• 3Like
Reactions:
@BjornB So did Paradox make no changes to the release version from the version streamers got for the (quite entertaining) marketing push? The checksums are identical.

It'd be a shame if this marketing push isn't repeated, I enjoyed it a lot.

• 17Haha
  • 2Like
Reactions:
People are playing right after release and then this will usually happen:
ntsm9d.jpeg

Every patch have a spike and it is staying time that matters. When people are not getting bored by bugs and absurd mechanics but came back to the game so concurrent players will stay he same.
So far EUIV and Stellaris are the most glaring examples of fluctuating playerbase, losing more players than HoIIV. Stellaris is the worst in that case, being able to reach HoIIV daily concurren player numers ONLY durink free weekends and patch releases. And EUIV is slowly becoming Stellaris v2.0 in that case.
You are correct, that wasn't my point.
People keep quoting 100 reviews as being meaningful. The sample size is far, far, far too small. There are nearly 20,000 people playing the game right now, it peaks in around 5 hours. You cannot, in any way, say that < 0.25% of the playerbase's opinion is meaningful (either for OR against the product). 99%+ of people that play the game have not given their opinion.

If 0.25% of the country vote to do something, does that mean the whole country thinks it and it should be done? Of course not, so why are the rules so different in so many people's thinking on this forum? Get some perspective.

Your view on the rest of what you've said is completely true and a separate point.

Reactions:
Majapahit is literally p2w
Not trying to excuse the bad release (and I am fairly disappointed that it will take until next week to be somewhat enjoyable) but that is just uncharitable.
It has happened several times in past patches that DLC stuff was accidentally referenced in base game content, and Paradox have consistently recognized those cases as bugs and fixed them.
Somebody wrote the disaster and missions for Majapahit and built a sequence where the disaster interacts with the mission. This may have been before a final decision to put the missions in the DLC and the disaster in the basegame, or it may have been an oversight. Either way, this is clearly not intentional.

• 1Like
Reactions:
You are correct, that wasn't my point.
People keep quoting 100 reviews as being meaningful. The sample size is far, far, far too small. There are nearly 20,000 people playing the game right now, it peaks in around 5 hours. You cannot, in any way, say that < 0.25% of the playerbase's opinion is meaningful in any way (either for OR against the product). 99%+ of people that play the game have not given their opinion.

Your view on the rest of what you've said is completely true and a separate point.
100 reviews are far from meaningful. But if the game is marked negative, or very negative, this would make a potential customer wary.

Reactions:
So far EUIV and Stellaris are the most glaring examples of fluctuating playerbase, losing more players than HoIIV.

HOI 4 is permanently broken so far, sadly. Basic controls don't work and it routinely lies to you. You get more territory in peace deals if you repeatedly smash your face into Cairo as Ethiopia than if you literally invade UK and take every victory point directly by yourself. A lot more.

EU 4 has a lot of problems and lies itself, but it has never been quite as much of a meme as HOI 4. I haven't played Stellaris, so I don't have much to say on that one, other than from what I hear from friends its bad coding/handling of population drags the game to a crawl. Apparently they tried to fix that not by addressing a broken optimization, but instead by artificially constraining growth late in the game's existence.

Reactions:
Looking at some of the posts, it is disgusting that some of you guys are attacking the devs and calling them names. Yes they produced the product, but it is not an excuse to attack the devs personally.

If there is an issue with the product - highlight it, speak in a respectful manner, and if need be, throw it in the bug forum located here : https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/forums/euiv-bug-reports.813/

If there is an issue with a mod - highlight, speak in a respectful manner, speak to the mod developer, and address with them on Steam or Forums

What I can't stress enough from a Project manager and former software engineer point of view....the development team work their asses off, and there are bound to be bugs, it happens with all software. Testing happens with a QA team, but even they can't find everything. 10000 users in 1 hour, will find more bugs than 10 QA in 1000 hours will. So what might seem obvious to you, may not have even hit the QA or otherwise. I get your irked with the product, but it isn't an excuse to fire shots directly at the dev team. Please play nice.
Why don't you want a product to work properly the first time you buy it?

Reactions:
I don't particularly care whether whose fault internally at Paradox a botched release is. I blame Paradox as a single entity.

People, this is not a random opensource project or an indie game, fueled by volunteers' passion and free time, where we, the users can be tolerant and supportive about someone not having the time to pull their weight this one time. This is a big corporate entity earning money from you and me in exchange for a broken product.

They (nor any other corporation) do not deserve any brand loyalty or "friendship". It's just business. Our money for their widgets.

• 3Like
Reactions:
There hasn't been a single good expansion since Rights of Man 4 and 1/2 years ago, which is more than half of the entire lifespan of the game so far.

• 1Like
Reactions: