• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

EU4 - Development Diary - 27th of October 2020

Hello everyone! Today we are going to talk about some improvements in some interfaces for how you deal with governing capacity and one new feature that uses a lot of governing capacity but also let you “keep growing” on the land you already own.

First to make it easier to manage your governing capacity we’ve been adding needed information in two places. First we have added so when a building affects governing capacity it will now show that so you can get a sense of where you will get most value out of it in your realm, helping players with larger empires.

1603787892909.png

This means buildings such as courthouses will now show how much governing capacity they will remove if built in that specific province.

Next is a little help to everyone who have been amassing a lot of vassals to hold land for them. Previously there was no way to see how much governing capacity a vassal had or how much was being used.

1603787978875.png

We’ve now added so that can be viewed under the subject interface when you go into the details window for that subject.

Now to the new feature, for the one that has extra governing capacity, a Switzerland hiding in the mountains wanting to play tall. So in a province that is at least 15 development you can expand its infrastructure to allow for another building and manufactory in it. This increases the governing cost of the province by a flat 200 which can not be reduced by province modifiers.

1603788042280.png

Then for every 15 development of the province and further 200 governing capacity you can expand the infrastructure more for more slots of buildings and manufactories.

Hope you’ve enjoyed today's development diary! Next week we’ll be back with a new diary which will be written by Johan!

• 96Like
  • 25Love
Reactions:
since thats not how any other building in the game works
Well the only manufactories that I use are the standard ones and the manpower ones (I do admit that I use ramparts to troll the AI sometimes) in most cases, so if you couldn't build the same manufactory at the cost of 200 GC, it would be absolutely worthless.

• 1Like
Reactions:
New mechanic might have use but at current costs I hope this is a typo. 200 governing capacity for +1 building slot/manufactory is completely imbalanced and never worth the investment. Even by building the statehouses and reducing to an absurd -50%, 100 development is still going to be far more beneficial than +1 building slot

It's worse because this flat 200 GC isn't even affected by province modifiers, meaning statehouses etc won't make a difference.

Perhaps if we can do this for vassals, it might work out to have small super 'tall' vassals to boost trade/vassal tax? I can already imagine HRE minors all running double manufactories everywhere lol

Otherwise, I can't see many scenarios where this would be really worth it. I suppose, the idea is that since 'tall' players have nothing else to spend GC on, that they might as well have this...?

Well the only manufactories that I use are the standard ones and the manpower ones (I do admit that I use ramparts to troll the AI sometimes) in most cases, so if you couldn't build the same manufactory at the cost of 200 GC, it would be absolutely worthless.

If we couldn't build the same manufactory for 200 GC, then whatever manufactory that is built would only be half as good as the first one, assuming that you built the first one to get the goods bonus. That would make this even a more questionable mechanic.

I like that some bones are being thrown for players who want to grow without painting the map too much, but hopefully this bone can be a little larger and juicier.

• 6Like
Reactions:
Is it also possible to see which states have a state house and which haven't? Currently if you have a state where every province has a manufactory it's impossible to tell if there is a state house present in that state or not. This makes for ludicrous micro management once you start expanding after imperialism.

Unless I'm missing something..

• 11Like
Reactions:
200 GC seems a bit crazy for the early game! A cool idea would be to reduce the governing capacity cost for primary culture land, buffing religious ideas and making culture converting relevant outside of trying for a one culture

• 11Like
Reactions:
Great idea with new tooltips in macrobuilder, I was wondering about it literally yesterday :D. Will you add same thing to Town Halls?

I would also suggest adding something similar to universities - amount of dev and current dev cost in the province would be magical.

200 gov capacity cost? Seems a lot, I was expecting 200% to be honest :D.

• 7Like
Reactions:
What happens when you conquer province with expander infrastructure can you delete it or you are stuck with 200 GC?

EDIT: Oh somebody asked already.

Last edited:
This is also my problem with the new feature. 200 gov cap is sooo much... And the button is so small, that the most people will miss this when needed, or just misclick. An undo or an confirmation toolbox would be nice here, to not accidentally destroy the own country

As usual UX is in WIP, since I am not the greatest artists :)

• 15Like
Reactions:
Can you abandon that infrastructure? What if the enemy acquires the province with infrastructure? If it's non-removable and the enemy gains control of it on acquisition, it would be a coring cost increase nightmare again. Shivers.

If province switches hand then it is destroyed

• 10Like
Reactions:
One suggestion @Groogy could you or someone else in the team rework Russian mission tree. Not in this expansion but sometimes in the future. My suggestion is to rework it so player or ai can procreate borders of Russian empire, conquest of Caucasus and conquest of Central Asia. Also while at it perhaps Russia could have unique government reforms to push.

Reactions:
Hey Groogy, do you know when you'll release the sikh teachings? It's been a week since you talked about them.

It takes time to do research, to balance things etc. But hey if you want my random numbers that makes no sense and will not be what we launch with I can do that.
Here's the first two gurus.

Code:
guru_nanak = {
    trigger = {
        always = yes
    }
    chance = {
        factor = 1000
    }
    modifier = {
        monarch_admin_power = 1
    }
    teachings = {
        share_and_consume = {
            type = ADM
            cost = 50

global_unrest = -5
        }
        work_honestly = {
            type = DIP
            cost = 50

production_efficiency = 0.15
        }
        recite_his_name = {
            type = MIL
            cost = 50

global_regiment_cost = -0.25
        }
    }
}
guru_angad = {
    trigger = {
        is_year = 1539
        is_month = 9
    }
    chance = {
        factor = 5
        modifier = {
            factor = 1.5
            is_year = 1540
        }
        modifier = {
            factor = 1.5
            is_year = 1541
        }
        modifier = {
            factor = 1.5
            is_year = 1542
        }
        modifier = {
            factor = 2
            is_year = 1543
        }
        modifier = {
            factor = 2
            is_year = 1544
        }
    }
    modifier = {
        monarch_military_power = 1
    }
    teachings = {
        gurmukhi_script_teaching = {
            type = ADM
            cost = 50

technology_cost = -0.15
        }
        temple_langar = {
            type = DIP
            cost = 50

church_loyalty_modifier = 0.15
        }
        wrestling_akhara = {
            type = MIL
            cost = 50

yearly_army_professionalism = 0.2
        }
    }
}

• 13Like
Reactions:
Can you abandon the increased infrastructure? If not you can "salt" provinces you know you will likely lose, for example in a score MP game, by increasing their GC cost by 200 assuming you can afford it and the enemy can not.

Reactions:
You are overlooking a small thing here. A percentage is a bad idea, since that would allow you to gain extra manufactory slots for almost no price on low dev provinces. A flat value is the way to go
This

• 10Like
Reactions:
200 GC? That kinda steep.
Wait, +1 manufactory? Can you built more than 1 manufactory now? Does that mean there will be multiple resources? Or we can build the same manufactory multiple time?
I could be totally wrong here, but my assumption is that it doesn’t mean there will be multiple resources, but that we could (for example) put a textile manufactory and ramparts on the same province, or any other combination of traditional manufactories and the new manufactory-slot buildings added in 1.30.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions:
Regardless of the cost, if you're playing tall you may well run out of buildings to build in your provinces anyways, making extra building slots useless. Are we getting more buildings to play tall with, or is it really just a gimmick? Or can we build multiple manufactories in one province? Is that what it means?

• 2Like
Reactions:
Good morning,good changes,however,will the hard 200 GC cap for building infrastructure can be removed by modding or is it hardcoded?
Thanks for any replies about this.

It's just a modifier like any other modifier

• 4Like
Reactions:
Now to the new feature, for the one that has extra governing capacity, a Switzerland hiding in the mountains wanting to play tall. So in a province that is at least 15 development you can expand its infrastructure to allow for another building and manufactory in it. This increases the governing cost of the province by a flat 200 which can not be reduced by province modifiers.
Whoa, yeah, I’ve gotta agree with everyone else in this thread. I love the idea— going tall is one of my favorite playstyles, so I’d like to use this feature often in my games going forward— but 200 GC seems waaaaaaay high. 25 GC seems fair to me. Maybe 50 GC, but even that would be really pushing it close to the point of “not worth it”. If you are set on having the GC cost so high (and even if you aren’t), would you consider adding dev cost reduction to the effects? That’d be another excellent way of using this feature to encourage tall play. If, say, you made the cost 100 GC but added a -20% dev cost to the province, I’d consider that a good balance that’d be a reasonable investment in some super-tall games, and if you did the same but with 50 GC (please this please this), it’d be a must-have in any tall campaign of mine.

• 4Like
Reactions: