• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

EU4 - Development Diary - 13th of October 2020

Hello and Welcome to another development diary for Europa Universalis IV. Sadly Groogy is sick so we have to shuffle around our planning a bit and give you something that was not originally planned for today.

Today we’ll talk a little bit about what we are doing with Diplomacy for the expansion that is accompanying the 1.31 patch, as it's one of the major areas of it.

First of all, the concept of favors, which was introduced in The Cossacks, is now also unlocked by this expansion, as it will become far more used than just using it to get your allies to join you in offensive wars. More on that in later development diaries.

Secondly, we also changed how the favors were calculated, so instead of having a chance of getting a favor once a year, you now get favors overtime, depending on the same factors as impacted the chance of getting a favor before, ie the relative military power.

Finally, this new expansion will see a new diplomatic action called “Curry Favors”. This requires an active diplomat, and will slowly increase the amount of favors you have with them, depending on your diplomatic reputation and the target's opinion of you.

eu4_13.png

You will slowly lose favors over time with nations that are not your allies, nor you attempting to curry favors with.

As this was a rather short development diary, I’m adding a screenshot showing one of the events you can get if you have the horde ideagroup set.

eu4_14.png

Hopefully Groogy is back next week to write his development diary on Hedgehogs!

• 91Like
  • 20Love
Reactions:
Finally, this new expansion will see a new diplomatic action called “Curry Favors”. This requires an active diplomat, and will slowly increase the amount of favors you have with them, depending on your diplomatic reputation and the target's opinion of you.

Does it mean it will be easier to get favors, even with bigger nations?

Let's take a random OPM for instance. Provided that i take diplomatic ideas first, will i get favors faster with a bigger nation this way?

I'm afraid it might make the game easier. If i'm an opm i shouldn't be able to get favors with France too fast, if that's the case.

• 4Like
Reactions:
For immersion, it'd be very nice to see favors generated in part by events, royal marriages, skills, traits, missions etc (i.e. relative military power ideally should just be one of several sources); and also feeding into both event options and occasional event triggers.

• 15Like
Reactions:
I'm always happy to see diplomacy get more depth. Any chances of some espionage reworks, as well? That's one of the few remaining facets of the game which I feel could really use more depth/complexity.

I hope you feel better soon, @Groogy ! Peace and love from Oregon.

• 5Like
Reactions:
What we will actually be using those favors for would have been really interesting to know for context, but I guess there were some significant "oh crap" time restraints involved :D

Thanks for giving us a teaser anyways! :)

• 7Like
Reactions:
That's a curious alert to have as a Horde.
By the way, are there any new changes coming for tributaries? Or maybe AI behaviour on tributaries?

In the last DD England also had it. My bet is that they are messing around with governments.

Reactions:
I would love a dev diary or at least a bit more clarity about the way forward for EU4. They have already announced that they are not stopping with DLC's, but what are the plans moving forwards? DLC/Immersion packs, focus on what parts of the game, etc. That's sth I love about HOI4, you know exactly what they are doing and they are quite clear in their communication. The effect of it is showing because that's the forum that is the least on fire of the big PI games.

• 4Like
Reactions:
so there's already a new expansion confirmed and the last one still not playable (and I expected them to release the free-patch between expansions before any news related to another expansion)

Last edited:
  • 9Like
Reactions:

Let's take a random OPM for instance. Provided that i take diplomatic ideas first, will i get favors faster with a bigger nation this way?

I'm afraid it might make the game easier. If i'm an opm i shouldn't be able to get favors with France too fast, if that's the case.

Imho it all depends on final numbers. As an OPM parking a diplomat to France Court for (let's say) 30 years just to get enough favors for a war doesn't seem that OP of a strategy. Early game there is so much work for diplomats and so few if them. And mid game you don't want be OPM anymore.

Ofc if you only need 12 months then we can agree that's OP.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Oh man. I love that diplomacy is getting some work. It's one of those things that's the cornerstone of this game, but it felt kind of left behind the last years. Especially starting from mid/lategame.

Anyway, since favors are getting more important, I'd like to suggest to add a 'transfer occupation' request to an ally during a war in return for some favors. It kind of sucks when your ally occupies that key province in an important war and the only way to get it is by having the enemy occupy it back or by waiting until your ally peaces out. Maybe make them only accept if they didn't choose it as vital interest, but it's an extra option I'd love to see.

• 13Like
Reactions:
This seems like a great idea. The current favor works alright currently, so expanding on it is quite safe. I do hope this will address the biggest issue I have with favors: at the start of the game, there is a long period of relative world-wide peace because everyone lacks favors to drag allies into war. Especially if you play as a minor nation, it’s difficult to wage safe wars early since you lack favors with many allies. Curry favor might help a bit now I guess

• 1Like
Reactions:
It's great hearing diplomacy will be getting love with this patch. There are some potential fixes and improvements in the game regarding diplomacy, I hope these will get some attention too. Some of'em off the top of my head:
  • Making coalitions more focused rather than spreading all over the world easily. Maybe increasing the discount effect of distance hop factor while increasing the infidel conquest factor to compensate for the loss from the former would do the trick. Infidel conquest was one of the most major factors to cause a coalition in that age already, so it would be appropriate.
  • Preventing giving away allies' lands and easily avoiding bad outcomes.
  • Making the strongest coalition member be the leader of that coalition and allow separate peace. Although, making war leaders always the strongest one would be a better and ultimate solution to this I think.
  • Making marches more real/significant. They were not exactly like vassals and semi-independent actually. Like being able to wage their own wars etc.
  • Fixing tributaries helping with the rebels. They are not vassals too. Actually, the game has a code toggle regarding this and the last time I checked(before 1.30) it wasn't working.

I really liked that actually. To me, the problem is not an opm being able to bring France into their wars, rather they are being the war leader in that situation.

• 4Like
Reactions: