Galactic Community - Questions

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
To what extent can we "sanction" other empires? Can we punish them for aggressive acts, like invading primitives? How does this work?

How do primitives that become spacefaring work with the Galactic Community? Are they doomed to be third-rate powers forever, or can they use their diplomatic connections to make themselves more powerful relatively quickly?

Does the Galactic Community have its own capital? If so, is it just a station like the Galactic Market or do we get to choose a planet? Can we change the capital mid-way through a game?

Last edited:
How does the community interact with empires that aren't genocidal, but still disliked, like Driven Assimilators, Criminal Syndicates, and Barbaric Despoilers? Are there certain penalties imposed on them by default, or do they have to tick off more empires first?

What about gestalts? If sanctions are imposed against a hive mind or machine empire, what would those entail? Is it purely an economic penalty, or is it some kind of diplomatic one?

If the GC votes to make sapient AI illegal, does this negatively affect synthetic or machine empires? Both or just one?

In one of the teaser images, the Galactic Community proposal queue contains Minor and Moderate Research Sanctions. How are these going to work? Currently, there is no way for an empire to negatively affect another empire's research abilities, and it doesn't make sense to me that the Galactic Community would be able to do things that its constituent empires cannot.

As I am concerned about a unhealthy meta where even for lone wolves creating a two faction federations is just to good to pass on.
Are there any measures taken to make playthrough without being within a federation more attractive (except picking inward perfectionist).
Unique civics, bonuses, mechanics or anything comperable for federation less players?

Last edited:
As I am concerned about a unhealthy meta where even for lone wolves creating a two faction federations is just to good to pass on.
Are there any measures taken to make playthrough without being within a federation more attractive (except picking inward perfectionist).
Unique civics, bonuses, mechanics or anything comperable for federation less players?
People constantly complain about how unreliable federation members are and how it's a waste of 2 monthly influence. Let's hold off and see if federations are good in the DLC before crying out for lone-wolf buffs.

1. Will there be galactic resolutions to ban Sapient AI and/or ban AI servitude?
2. In addition to endgame and midgame crises, can there be resolutions against genocidal empires?
3. Can there be resolutions penalizing, banning or supporting slavery? Likewise purging?
4. Are there be resolutions to force wealth transfers from rich empires to poor empires?

Will the GC prevent/ban certain ascensions like Psionic or Synthetic transformation?

Are there resolutions that can ban certain technologies like Colossi?

Are there events (besides the ones mentioned: Galactic market, rallying the galaxy to handle a crisis event, creation of the Galactic security council) related to resolutions passed by the GC: i.e. Your populations don't like certain resolutions causing them to rebel?

How will the GC handle entities like the Crystalline Entities and leviathans?

How will isolationist empires be affected by the GC?

How hard is it to repel a resolution?

Is it possible for a resolution you passed to backfire on you?

How will the GC be affected by War in Heaven?

Is it possible to have allied AIs (ie those in your federation) vote against resolutions you want passed?

There are mods out there that let more than one crisis happen; since the GC can be rallied against a crisis how hard will it be for modders to mod it so that you can rally the GC twice or thrice?

Is it possible to defy a resolution; for example a resolution prohibits you from uplifting primitives but you decide to enlighten them anyhow; what happens exactly to you (and possibly the primitives you just enlightened)?

Is It possible for the GC to force wars to end?

1. How will the Galactic Community mechanic effect players/empires that simply do not want to participate?

2. How does one get into the Galactic Community, and is there a way to remove yourself from it if you don't want to participate in it?

3. If you declare war on a GC member, will you face the entire GC in battle as a monolithic entity, or will you simply fight the empire (and its federation) that you declare war on?

4. If you choose not to participate in the GC, what effect do their edicts have on your empire? What mechanics does the GC have to enforce edicts?

5. What influence will the GC have over the Galactic Market? Also, what happens if you are the seat of the Galactic Market and defy the GC? Are there any new mechanics with the GM due to the GC/Federations?

How does rallying the GC against a Crisis work? What does the resolution do?

Similarly, can the GC interact with Nanites/Khan/War in Heaven? How does that work?

How do you know if an AI empire is in breach of galactic law? How do sanctions work? I seem to recall being able to declare other empires threats to the GC, what are the restrictions and effects of that?

Does the GC interact with any Ascension Paths? Does the GC interact with the Interstellar Assembly or any other megastructures?

Is there any way for the GC to interfere with an ongoing war between empires? The only way I can think to do this is a resolution that increases that conflict's War Exhaustion.

If we want to propose a resolution, are there "cards" or are all possible resolutions available to us at any given time?

How easy is it to join and rejoin the GC?

Will the various Awakened Empires participate in the GC?

Currently the endgame crises are all military threats, and this creates a meta where "best" empires/playstyles are those that can muster the fleetpower to deal with stronger/earlier crisis arrivals. With mechanics being added in for a galactic community, is there any hope of seeing non-military, but equally endgame-worthy crises along such lines as:
  • A galactic wide pandemic affecting both bio and mechanical pops. (mass refugee movements, hysteria, law and order breakdowns, corrosion of gestalt minds' abilities to maintain harmony)
  • Some unexplained spatial mystery like in TNG's finale "All Good Things" that erases all life on inhabited worlds in order of oldest to youngest. (first warning is all the fallen empires vanishing, then it starts at species' homeworlds after a while)
  • The FTL network starts to collapse, isolating pockets of systems with no way to communicate without jumpdrives/gateways/wormholes. (The galaxy tries to work out whats going on, and enforce laws like FTL speed limits and restrict non-essential FTL use)
  • Gather ancient rainbow coloured rocks of exceedingly large mathematical value and perform an eldritch rite to send a sentient super-massive black hole back into dreamless slumber before it devours the galaxy! Saggitarius A* devours 1d4 empires per finger snap.

Will each member of the galactic council fulfill a specific role that comes with obligations as well as bonuses?

For example the role of "galactic peacekeepers" grants a fleet cap bonus and access to all empires, who abide by council law, and an "intervention" war policy. However they cannot declare wars of aggression or liberations and must fulfil annual objectives to maintain their position on the council.

Galactic Council

Will each council member maintain their membership in their own federations or would they have to join a new "Council Federation"? If no then how would other members react if one is attacked/at war? Can they declare war on each other?

If you can’t “upgrade” a subject to Federation member, will you at least remove that “But why don’t you want us anymore?” response to releasing a vassal?

Saw that multiple times when I was building a Federation out of primitives I’d enlightened.

With the Galactic community being expanded, will it be possible to sabotage/ Assassinate or to steal (Tech/Ships/Resources) from other members of the galactic community without having to go to war?

Kind of hard to know what to reasonably expect with this feature, unlike federations. So i hope these questions are good ones.

1) what are the categories of resolutions, I'm assuming there are 4 based on the opposing ethics.

2) how do resolutions once agreed work? is it automatic or do we the player have to choose to obey. say for example if there is a resolution to reduce fleet capacity, is it optional to obey or do we get it taken away immediately?

3) how many variations of resolutions are there? 2 to 5 per category similar to federation laws? Do the votes necessary to pass vary depending on the type of resolution? like 70% approval for some, 50% for others or is it strictly majority?

4) how do we create a resolution? Are some resolutions locked till a certain point in the game? Or are all resolutions available from the start of the galactic community?

5) what the galactic UN's role when it comes to war / what powers does it and the Council have? what impacts does it have? can we be mad at an aggressor for attacking our ally and bring this up and something happen because of it? What could we do in this scenario? can I deny the galactic market to a member nation for going to war, or have other members close borders to them? would this increase there war exhaustion? the UN is supposed to be a place where peace can happen so i hope there is some impact on war.

6) Are there any building or stations or mega structures involved in this aspect of the expansion? there is the interstellar assembly, does that factor into any of this? Like building it increases the number of council members?

7) how are favors gained (i know this might be a part of a different topic but still)

8) does voting for or not voting for a particular resolution increase or decrease opinion of your empire. like if i have enough diplomatic weight to rule whatever i want but all the other members combined cant get what they want (lets say I'm an imperial despot and the rest are pacifist democracies, and i vote for yes to orbital bombings).

9) what happens to the galactic UN if i conquer the whole galaxy? could i create some vassal states / independent states but "independent states" and actually become the Senate?

10) can we kick people out of the galactic UN?

11) are there any kind of projects the galactic UN might have as its Focus? Ive see it said that the end game crisis can be a crisis, what else can be?

11.1) made this separate cause I'm sure the answer is a no. is it possible to say the focus of the galactic UN be like no slaves in the galaxy or no poor living standards? Will the focus be only military based? has this been looked into?

12) Can we ban certain members? mindless hordes or driven assimilators Can we ban certain technologies?

13) how often do resolutions happen? can this be increased?

14) do protectorates, vassal states, tributaries etc appear as a part of the Galactic community?

Last edited:
1. For the Galactic Community popup window, say the Community & Senate Floor tabs, will there be sounds, like gravel pound "Order! Order!" & crowd sounds for a few seconds, etc, like with the Roman Senate in Total War Rome?

2. In the Galactic Community, for Denouncements, is that say based only after say a detection function occurs I guess like a pop up window, or is it like in the Resolutions list but greyed out until say a year after a Resolution passes to prevent Denouncements anytime?

3. A sort of picture question so not important, but it looks like the Galactic Community is two chambers. The Senate Floor looks quite different from the Galactic Community picture, and since there's no flags, etc, in the Community picture, is that because the view is say backwards showing the public galleries? As it were, what's the layout? Is there no presiding officer's chair? If it's totally circular a room, well, what's the other side of it look like? Not sure but I think it looks like the voting is the plenary session but unlike normal legislatures there is no debating in plenary session, with the main room a total public gallery with a member-state rep. by themselves talking in the middle of the room per Resoulution…..is that correct?

I'm very interested in the Galactic Union, but it seems like the mechanic lives and dies based on how interesting the resolution options are. It looks like the resolutions come with relatively minor galaxy-wide buffs and nerfs, but what interests me most is the actual law part of those, with certain actions leading to you being in violation of galactic law.

I am somewhat concerned by the only (I think?) such law we've seen, which is the one that puts people who are using less than half of their naval capacity in violation. Using so little of your naval cap strikes me as something that nobody would ever do unless the AI has an aneurysm and builds 5 fortress worlds without the alloy or energy income to make use of them. Moreover, the player has no way of knowing how other empires' ship usage stacks up to their current naval cap, so there's not even any meaningful way to deliberately use that law to harm other empires with sanctions. More-moreover, why should I even care whether another empire is using half their naval cap? If I'm doing it to encourage my allies to build their fleets, a galactic law also encourages my enemies to do the same. Hell, violating empires would be just as well encouraged to just deconstruct their anchorages and fortresses and reduce their military readiness. I don't really understand what interactions this law is trying to accomplish, other than the very simple "My naval cap is limiting me and I have plenty of energy so I'll choose the thing that slightly benefits me, while competing with other empires whose economies would slightly benefit from it not passing". Those kinds of interactions are fine, and probably necessary, as filler for the regular hum-drum diplomatic goings-on, but I really hope there's more meaningful GC resolutions that allow for more cloak and dagger realpolitik

So, the questions:

What's your design process for deciding what makes for a good galactic law?
What kinds of interactions are you trying to encourage?
Do you have examples of other laws which can put empires in violation of galactic law?
Will any of the resolutions allow you to put certain policies in violation of galactic law?

Policy-based resolutions strike me as much more mechanically intuitive, as you know the (AI) pacifists will always want restricted orbital bombardment, and the spiritualists will always want no robots allowed, and the egalitarians will always want no slavery, so you can figure out who exactly you're screwing over with each resolution.