Galactic Community - Questions

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I am intrigued by the idea of sanctions. Do they consist of strongly-worded letters or could we get something like CBs for breaching galactic law?
Here's what I think.

There's an image of a single empire having more diplomatic weight than the entire rest of the galaxy, a humorous "They love democracy". But in the corner you can see resolutions for "minor economic sanctions" waiting to be voted on, minor research sanctions, moderate research sanctions.

My guess is, anyone in violation of galactic law has penalties applied to them based on what sanctions have been passed.

2) how do resolutions once agreed work? is it automatic or do we the player have to choose to obey. say for example if there is a resolution to reduce fleet capacity, is it optional to obey or do we get it taken away immediately?
It looks like there's passive "Modifier" buffs/debuffs to every resolution, which you HAVE to obey.

Buzzword standardization increases diplomatic weight from economy by 10%, increases trade value by 5%, and increases beaurocrat upkeep by 5%. That's passive, you can't not have that. But the Military Readiness Act has an "Effect", which puts certain behaviors (like not using your naval cap fully) in breach of galactic law.

If you can’t “upgrade” a subject to Federation member, will you at least remove that “But why don’t you want us anymore?” response to releasing a vassal?

Saw that multiple times when I was building a Federation out of primitives I’d enlightened.
This thread isn't about Federations, it's about the Galactic Community

If an empire is rapidly expanding its territory or army, can you suggest working with the community to contain it?

Can you offer protection for one weak empire?

Can the community disappear or malfunction?

1. How will my subjects vote?
  2. Does the game engine support an CIV6 style emergency? In essense, it is "script triggered proposal that jump the normal queue of voting and happens immediately". I'm not asking whether it is in the base game as it very probably isn't, but whether the game engine allows such action. I would be glad to make a mod like this, but only if the base game support it.

Last edited:
Is there going to be a way to stop shadow princes? For example a federation in MP ran by two players helping increase their diplomatic weight and only one them is in the galactic community for the sole purpose to tank it and apply as many debuffs as possible like limiting fleet size and resources income. basicly allowing the other player to snowball other empires while still under the protection of a federation. I could see this having a really negative effect on gameplay.

Unlike Federations, where you are expanding and modifying an existing system, the Galactic Community is totally new. People have a pretty good idea of what to expect form federations because they have an existing framework for understanding the changes. Whereas with the GC, many probably only have some vague ideas based on the earlier dev diary and other games that do something similar (like Civ). A lot of the questions in this thread reflect this by being much more along the lines of "what are the basics of how [feature] works?" Or the questions reflect assumptions made about the GC. What I am getting at is that I don't think most will really understand the GC until we see it in action in a stream, dev clash, etc. A Q&A after such a thing will probably have very different questions, and potentially be more useful.

How do the influence discounts from xenophiles and diplomacy traditions fit in (assuming you haven’t changed them to diplomatic weight or something)? Do fanatic xenophiles with diplomatic traditions get influence free GC diplomatic actions (such as favors and resolutions)?

As others have said, what’s the reason to stay in the GC? Why would you want to get sanctions removed vs simply leaving?

Is the galactic market available to non-GC members?

How is sanctioning initiated? By resolution? Automatically when in breach of galactic law?

Does the interstellar assembly have any special GC interactions?

So the council has veto powers and can rush through some resolutions? What other special powers can they get?

1. Will you need a building to join the GC (Galactic Embassy)
2. Can you add Aggressive Expansion or threat before you are declared a Galactic Threat.
3. Can you ban weapon types or fleet types (No missiles, No titans, No colossi, No orbital bombardment)
4. Can you outlaw the purge, or slavery.
5. Might be the wrong place but can you add real religions, so the fanatical spiritualist think that other FS's might think that they are also infidels, but a materialist might be of the true faith.
6. Can one unclaimed system become the GC headquarters.
7. Will the GC also have Galactic projects (Everyone helps build a Galactic Assembly, or Art Project in the GC headquarters)
8. Could you refuse to recognize a nation.

Last edited:
  1. The current randomized selection of the galactic market is counter-intiutive, confusing, and has issues both from both immersion and mechanical perspectives. In the Galactic Community dev diary, the plan was to let this remain essentially identical, only changing how the process is initiated. Has this changed and are there any plans to create a better market selection process, such as introducing meaningful economic and diplomatic factors? (see also)
  2. What role does the Interstellar Assembly play in the Galactic Community and Council? Is there a set "Galactic Community" location like there is the Galactic Market? If so, what are the effects of hosting it?
  3. Sanctions have been mentioned as the primary aspect of enforcing the Galactic Communities will, but there has been little discussion of what they actually entail, beyond that they will not force the player to make certain decisions, such that banning slavery (if possible) would not force a change to a "Slavery Prohibited" policy. What kind of impacts will sanctions have, beyond opinion modifiers?
  4. In terms of Galactic Community resolutions, what kind of impact can they have beyond:
    • Addition / subtraction of percentage modifiers such as the Military Readiness Act shown in the dev diary;
    • Galactic Focus measures (the Galactic Market and Crises).
  5. Are there any joint-war resolutions (such as declaring a Containment War)?
  6. Can there be non-war related emergencies, such as economic interventions into failing states?
  7. Is there a way to interface with Primitives at the level of the Galactic Community rather than individual empires?
  8. Can the Galactic Community intervene on behalf of a member state (or non-member, such as the Caravaneers or Enclaves), such as by passing a resolution guaranteeing independence or joining a war in progress?
  9. How flexible will the scope of policies and sanctions be from a modding perspective?
  10. Can the Galactic Community pass resolutions around the handling of non-empire entities (from Space Amoebas and Crystalline Entitites to Enclaves / Maraduers / etc) and setting policies for interacting with them, subject to sanction upon violation?
    • If so, is there anyway to (for example) spread the knowledge of how to pacify the entities so that they can be safe? (Would not need to be a technology or project, just setting them to neutral for everyone).
  11. What opportunities are there for empires to focus on improving diplomatic weight and specialize in a diplomatic approach, given that a non-diplomatic focus will improve diplomatic weight through the base values (fleet, pops, economy, technology)?
  12. The federation fleet can have a significant effect on the relative power level of an empire through Fleet Power. Does diplomatic weight include the effects of the federation fleet via this same Fleet Power metric?
  13. How are sanctions applied to non-galactic community members? Are the penalties ignored, automatically applied, or dependent on the precise sanction?
  14. Will Fallen or Awakened Empires ever join the Galactic Community? If yes, how will the diplomatic weight from their extreme technology advantage be handled?
  15. When there are multiple members of the Galactic Council, can they all veto or call for emergency resolutions individually or is it a vote amongst the Council members?
  16. Is there any interaction between the Galactic Community and player actions that can create side-effects for the galaxy, such as L-Gate research, dangerous technology research, or pacts with Shroud entities?

Last edited:
Will the AI in wars against crisis be changed due to the things we can do to motivate them with the galactic community?

What I mean is if the AI will start to covet system that it loses from crisis fleets and understand it was former its systems. I think this has been a rather big problem with the AI fighting any form of crisis. Once they loose a system they often sort of give up on it and don't try to reclaim it. Empires should have a higher motivation to reclaim system it lost to a crisis than other system, particular those that had POP in them.

In other words... how is the AI encouraged to actually fight against the crisis using the galactic community?

1. How will the AI vote on resolutions? Are their voting based on their ethics, governments, technologies, maybe something else? Can I evalute if it would be hard to pass a resolution just by the look of it?
Example: Say I want to propose a resolution about science resrtictions, but the galaxy (or at least its dipomatic heavyweights) is mainly materialistic. Would such a resolution certanly reqire a lot of calling in favour to pass?

2. Does my voting in GC affect my empire's faction system?
Example: I am voting for a resolution that makes me lose some trade value but increase my fleet capacity. Would my Wealth Party be unhappy about it? Would the Militarist Party recognise my efforts to please them?

3. Can the GC be the peacekeeper in the Galaxy? What exact tools does it have to affect ongoing wars?
Example: I am bulled by a supremassist and I am loosing the war with him. Can I reach to GC to help me in this emergency? If yes, what can I ask for?

Edit: grammar

Last edited:
Can we use the GC to enforce a biodiversity requirement? Like mandating that every empire has at least 25% of its population be aliens, Or that you have less than ten percent aliens?

Any chance that the GC can mandate your resource production, or is it just your fleet production.

Last edited:
How will federations be represented in the Galactic Community? Will federation members join together or separately? And will federation members typically vote or abstain together in the senate or can the vote and abstain as they please?

How do you want us to use the galactic community?
What kind of galaxy do you find interesting in the galaxy community?

Are there any events related to the galactic community?

Can you suggest to the community military intervention to end the war early on other empire wars?
Can I use the community to influence the relationship between AI empires and other AI empires?

Some questions
  • How frequently are resolutions voted on?
  • Are there any resolutions that affect how easy/hard it is to enact resolutions? Can I turn the Galactic community into a bureaucratic nightmare where the forms to propose a resolution cost 1000EC and 100 influence?
  • Are there any resolutions to cause/effect ethics drift?
  • For resolutions that just give passive buffs/debuffs, can you choose to not follow them and be in breach of galactic law? Say I don't want my workers getting rights, or improved trade standards.
  • Will AI always follow Galactic law, or will they ignore it if the penalties are minimal to non-existent? Even when penalties aren't minimal, will they ignore it if they are strongly against the law or in a desperate situation?
  • What exactly is the process to establish the Galactic Market Hub now? Once established, can it be moved?
  • What are the three most extreme resolutions that can be passed?
  • Has a playtester ever gotten screwed over by a resolution they proposed?
  • How does the "designate galactic threat" mechanic work? Does it actually require the threat to be strong, or could I designate a 1 system enlighten primitive as a galactic threat? Once a threat has been designated, do people get positive opinion for dealing with it?

Now, about the favor system. A lot of people, myself included, don't really like how the current implementation allows for exploits involving multiple people calling in favors from the same empire. My suggestion is that favors be a way to shift 10% of an empires vote one spot towards you on an issue. If the Blorgs are voting against my proposal, I can spend 10 favors to bring them entirely to neutral, then ANOTHER 10 favors to bring them to be voting with me. The Snalien Commonwealth can then spend their favors with the Blorg to pull them back to neutral, effectively each favor they spend cancelling out one of mine. If I had more favors, I could bring the Blorgs back to supporting me again.

With this system, you never have an empire duplicating its vote, but an empire that has been moved by favors isn't locked into its new position, so as long as an empire isn't 100% supporting you, can use favors to pull its vote towards you. It achieves roughly the same thing as the old system, but is much more intuitive and logical. Is there any chance you could make this shift?

On the GC:

On Crisis / neutrals:

Will we be able to pass anti-piracy / anti-space-monster focuses - often the AI leaves pirate bases, crystaline systems, and other "neutrals" alone for a long long time. Could we get a resolution called "Clean up your borders" or something like that? Which encourages AI to target neutral factions more.

If this is the case, can we have an alternate that calls for the protection of interstellar wildlife to keep the AI from attacking neutrals?

Do any resolutions make certain policies required? If so can one use Galactic Community compliance to bypass ethics restrictions (example, could the GC mandate synth rights, and if it did could a spiritualist nation gives syths citizen rights to be in compliance even though it goes against their eithics?)