• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Victoria 3 - Dev Diary #104 - Quality of Life improvements in 1.6

16_9.jpg

Hello and welcome to this Dev Diary that will mainly focus on the Quality of Life improvements we will add to the game with 1.6. The improvements for this update are mainly focused on three areas: Diplomacy, the Outliner and the Census Data panel, with some additional bug fixes and improvements sprinkled on top.

Diplomacy​

The “Start Diplomatic Play” popup has gotten an overhaul that should make it much easier to get an idea of how likely any Country is to side for or against you. The “Relative Preference for Country” tooltip has also been polished up. It now gives you more information on the first level of the tooltip, which in turn should make it clearer which factors go into the AI’s decision making process.

DD104_01.png

The tooltip for a Country has gotten completely reworked to include better contextual information, more data and clearer information hierarchy.

DD104_02.png

The Country details panel has gotten a slight tweak to the layout, which makes it possible to see both the Country’s Attitude towards you, and their current Strategies at a glance. Since these factors are important in the AI’s decision making process, having them more easily accessible should help make a Country’s behavior more comprehensible.

DD104_03.png

The Diplomacy Map Mode has gotten a new Map Marker that shows any ongoing Pacts you have with that Country, their Attitude towards you and Relations (+ any eventual rate of change)

DD104_04.png

Diplomatic Pacts have been reworked to more clearly state what could cause them to break. This change is also reflected in the “Pact has broken” Notifications, making them easier to understand.

DD104_05.png

Outliner rework​

The Outliner now has tabs (Pinned / Economy / Politics / Diplomacy / Military / All). Most Outliner items also had a design pass, and most of them now show some additional information. We have also added a new Outliner item for Countries, showing their Rank, Attitude towards you and Relations.

In addition to these changes, you are now able to unpin Political Movements, Diplomatic Plays etc, giving you more control over what is shown in the Outliner. We have also added an option to move the Notification feed to the left of the Outliner, similar to what Nugget’s mod “Notifications not over Outliner” does.

DD104_06.png

Notifications are now color-coded to give you more information at a glance.

DD104_07.png

The Census Data panel, formerly known as The Pop Browser​

In the previous Dev Diary we introduced the Pop Browser (which has been renamed to the “Census Data” panel, based on a suggestion by forum user Buladelu). Since then we have also added Literacy, Job Satisfaction and Needs as columns in a second “page” in the spreadsheet. The common suggestion of visualization of Interest Group membership sadly had to be postponed to a later date due to implementation difficulties and performance concerns. You can of course still see which pops are part of an Interest Group through the Population tab and on the relevant Interest Group details panels, like before. For upcoming updates we are looking at the feasibility of implementing similar screens for other central types of data, with Buildings, States, Countries, and Goods currently being in the very earliest stages of planning.

DD104_08.png
Showing columns for Radicals, Loyalists, Standard of Living, Political Strength and Interest Groups

DD104_09.png
Showing columns for Literacy, Job Satisfaction and Needs

Misc improvements​

Scroll positions within the left-side panels are now saved and restored when opening/closing or navigating between panels, which results in less unnecessary scrolling.

DD104_10.gif

Input Goods Shortage Map Markers are now collected per State on mid zoom level, similar to Construction, reducing the overall map clutter

DD104_11.gif

An “Upgrade All” button has been added, both for Upgrading all Formations in your Country, and for Upgrading all Units within a particular Unit Group in a Formation

DD104_12.png

The Employment Indicator has gotten a reworked tooltip that more clearly explains why a Building is able to hire or not.

DD104_13.png

The way we display Qualifications has also received some significant changes. Previously, we would display all Qualifications for a particular profession in the State Panel, regardless of whether the Pops that held those Qualifications actually had any real chance of becoming that Profession. For example, your Capitalists might very well have tons of Machinist qualifications, but it’s not too likely that they are going to quit their jobs and make the switch from factory owner to factory worker. Adding to this confusion, the ‘Insufficient Qualifications’ warning when constructing a building or changing a PM would only look at Qualifications among Peasants and the Unemployed, meaning its predictions would often not play out that way in practice.

In 1.6, we now always show something we call ‘Employable Qualifications’, which is Qualifications held by Pops that are reasonably able to take a job, defined by meeting the following criteria:
  • Isn't already the relevant pop type
  • Is unemployed or a jobseeker
  • Is not enslaved
  • Isn't working in a government building or subsidized building
  • If employed, wouldn't consider the change in pop type to be a downgrade (ie, Aristocrat qualifications for Farmers aren't likely to be considered - based on wage weight and how well their current workplace is paying)

What this means is that when you get a warning for a building that’s to be constructed not having enough Qualifications to fill, that warning can actually be trusted, and you’ll have a much easier time determining which Professions are a bottleneck for your industrialization efforts.

DD104_14.png

The tooltip for changing Production Methods now has much more accurate predictions as it now takes more factors into account than before (Employment changes, Throughput, State Traits among others), plus had a few bugs fixed.

DD104_15.png

The Construction Interaction now has two modes for the list items: “Condensed” (which is what is currently in game in 1.5) and the new “Full” mode, which has additional information like State Traits, Employment, Production Methods and Local Prices for Input and Output Goods.

DD104_16.png

The Transfer Units panel has gotten some extra functionality compared to what is currently available in 1.5 based on many requests from our players. First and foremost, you can now with one quick button press move all or half of the Units and Commanders over to the other side. You may of course want to be more detailed when setting up your transfers, something we now provide additional tools for, namely:
  • Text input box (write the number you want immediately)
  • Slider + Arrow buttons (slide the number to whatever you need it to be)
  • A list of all individual Units (if you want to be really nitty gritty and select/deselect individual units)
DD104_17.png

DD104_18.gif

We want to have most lists sortable and/or filterable by suitable factors in our game, which is becoming more and more of a standard for us to help you find the exact thing you want especially in lists with more than 10 entries. In the Transfer Unit window we have included a filter for you to get the Units from a specific State in the selected Formation.

DD104_19.png

During one of our Personal Development Time days we finally made a working prototype for what has internally been referred to as the Holy Grail of Tooltips UX: Tables in Tooltips. This implementation is only used in two places as of 1.6, but we’ll most likely start using these more often in the future, as they make it much easier to present certain types of information with greater clarity.

DD104_20.png

DD104_21.png

Closing thoughts​

Working on the Quality of Life improvements for 1.6 has been both really fun and rewarding, as it includes some improvements with a high positive impact on the overall UX of the game. The high point for me was either finally seeing the Census Data panel take shape (after having been one of those features that we have had scheduled for “the next patch” for a very long time) or solving how to move the Start Diplomatic Play predictions out from the tooltips into the popup panel.

That’s it for this week! In two weeks Alex will discuss the upcoming changes to the migration mechanics and their impact on game performance.

• 188Love
  • 110Like
Reactions:
Is there a way to only see unemployment instead of jobseeker? Reducing unemployment is far bigger priority vs make employed ptomoted.
It is already possible to filter only peasants or only unemployed by using the "Settings" dropdown at the top of the state selection for construction.

Please show attitudes towards both nations on the diplomatic play UI, show us the ideologies of generals in the outliner, let us change imports/exports tariffs on the list of goods, and tell us if there's unused capacity in factories/mines when a production method change says it'll raise prices for a good.. Thank you for the construction UI overhaul.

WHATTT

I've read a lot of dev diaries in all my 10 years of Paradox gaming and this has to be one of the juiciest ones I've seen! Keep up the great work, Vic3 team! Can't wait to see how it plays out!!

There is one more thing that is not mentioned in the DevDiary, as it was added at the last minute - topbar now shows how much Infamy your country has.

View attachment 1079180
For the infamy indicator, I think it should be colour coded, depending on the AI thresholds. White for <25, yellow for <50, and red above 50, or something like that.

• 2Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Would the tech tree look better if instead of having the strings connecting the techs, the techs were connected by semi-steam punk angular pipes/tubes?

Or even more elaborate, a collage of Victorian era items/goods/machines and each tech picture is surrounded by objects related to that tech (ex. Lathe tech is surrounded by a lathe and dynamite is surrounded by a pile of dynamite).

Not for 1.6, but definitely for a future update.

Instead of having urban and rural tabs, could the tabs be Resources, Agriculture, and Manufacturing? It would make the lists less long since there would be 3 groups. The naming conventions would also match the decrees. There are 23 agriculture buildings (5 grain types, 10 plantations, 1 livestock, 1 vineyard, 1 whaling and 5 subsistence farms). 9 resources (5 mining , 1 gold field, wood, oil rig, electricity ), and 18 manufacturing buildings.

• 9Like
Reactions:
The qualifications tooltip rework is gold, especially if one plays with mods that increase "difficulty" by making qualifications more scarce and difficult. Thanks!

• 1Like
Reactions:
I know that for patch 1.6 there will only be very few changes made to the systems "under the hood" (looking forward to the exception: migration, yeah!).
And I know that going from 1.x to 2.x is said to require major changes to the game's major system(s).

But I think these UX changes will make the game feel like we are getting Victoria 3 patch 2.0. I know that previously, most of the information could be found somewhere. But now it is there. There! Where we need it! Many complaints by people who did not learn the wiki by heart will taken care of (especially in diplo plays, pacts and buildings not hiring), meaning that these changs will make Victoria 3 much more accessible to new players, and much more "comprehensible" for all players.

For me, this is much more than a UX polish. It is about taking all the lessons learned form 1+ years of people playing and complaining (eh, I mean, giving constructive feedback!) about certain things they found puzzling or obscure. If these changes work the way I think they'll work, it will make the game feel like a different game more so than the military or MAPI changes we had in the past.

I know that patch will be patch 1.6. But 30 or so years down the line, I might be telling my grandchildren: "You know, for some of us, patch 1.6 was actually patch 2.0."

Reactions:
During one of our Personal Development Time days we finally made a working prototype for what has internally been referred to as the Holy Grail of Tooltips UX: Tables in Tooltips.​
I don't want to be too negative on an overall good list of UX improvements, but the dev team really needs to get over the mindset that every UI problem can be and should be best solved with a tooltip and if some information can only be communicated in a certain way (e.g. tables) that thing should also be crammed into a tooltip. It has become evident to anyone playing this game that Vic3 is trying to address way too many interface problems by having huge triply nested tooltips that are not a good experience to interact with and not the ideal solution to the problem. To see that anything tooltip related is still considered the "holy grail of UX" in the team is quite depressing, because I had hoped that this realisation had worked its way to the devs despite its initial infatuation with tooltips as the one tool to solve every UX problem.

I do not think it's a good idea to put tables into tooltips. Why? Because the good thing about tables is that you can sort, filter, and select its rows and columns. Are we supposed to do that in the tooltip as well? This game already has a problem with many tables and table-like UI elements giving the player no control over how they are sorted or filtered.

I am worried that these tooltip tables will start out without any player interaction (beyond probably, and worryingly, the ability to hover over its contents to be served another tooltip...) and even if they were present or later added, now I have to manipulate a complex format of information inside a tiny tooltip that may go away if I move or click the mouse the wrong way.

Please just give us proper menus/tabs/ledgers that contain the information that you are trying to cram into tooltips, where we can actually use the full screen real estate to look at and manipulate them. The integration with other UI elements and tooltips should work in such a way that the tooltip links to the right table with the appropriate filtering and sorting already applied.

So to use your example, there should not be a special party breakdown table in the party tooltip. There should be a dedicated ledger page / table dedicated to interest groups that I am able to sort and filter in all sorts of ways. One of the breakdown options should be "by party": if I select the Resistance Party, it should show the breakdown of IGs just in that party, instead of the default where it shows the breakdown of IGs nationwide. The only thing the Resistance Party tooltip should do is send me to this table and automatically select the "by party: Resistance Party" breakdown.

I am worried about the announcement that we will see more tables crammed into more tooltips.

• 3Like
Reactions:
I love all of these changes, wish we could also set mobilization options globally tho. Excited for 1.6 either way!
These changes will reduce quite dramatically the number of UI mods I'll have to use, very nice!

Love you guys! Amazing things are coming!

There is one wish from me : you can´t move a slider by click on bars. e.g. In option/Audio menu, i want to put Volume from 100% to around 50%. I can´t click on middle of bar the move slider. I need to catch the slider then move to position. Same with Army Trasfermenu...actually anywhere in the game.

Its maybe its a small thing, but i would very happy if you change this. (and i hope i could explain what i mean)

Reactions:
There are already filters for jobseekers, peasants, and unemployed.

Also while not particularly common there are instances where you would prioritize one industry over any other and not have the unemployed or peasant workforce available. In which case knowing that there are pops willing to leave their current job is useful information.
This is a dev diary about quality of life improvements for the UI. Tell me how it is a quality of life improvement to have to constantly switch between two separate filters for unemployed and pesants just to know where people are that could take up a job in a building I want to build. Tell me how it is quality of life to have a useless number that includes already employed people, when I am looking for people to work in a building? Tell me how it is quality of life, that I see 2 million ""jobseekers"", decide to waste my country's ressources on building 40 steel mills in a state only to see that there aren't even enough people to fill the 20 steel mills that already existed there? Tell me how it is quality of life, that the AI keeps building their buildings in states with no unemployed people, just because the number of jobseekers is high?

That number is useless, if it includes employed people. "Prioritize industry over another", use subsidies, or downsize unneeded buildings. How does knowing the amount of people who want to switch their job but already have one benefit you in the least bit? I want to prioritize steel building in a state, okay there are 2 million ""jobseekers"", I build 40 steel mills and... nobody goes there. whop-di-freaking-do, I have to subsidize it anyways, or remove other buildings.

Reactions:
Can there be more transparency or straightforwardness to knowing why trade won’t increase with other countries? The UI does mention that an increase in volume would result in less profit but if the UI was more explicit by breaking down the components, it would be more understandable.

Also can you add a way to see what country contributes what to a market? That way if you want to leave or change a market, you know what shortages/surpluses you have to work with.

• 2Like
Reactions:
I love these changes! Everything ranging from the better diplomatic plays screen to the upgrade all units button is just awesome. Excited for the 1.6 update now! Also love the detailed pop list!

Also, since this diary is considering the ui changes in 1.6, can we have a slider in options which we can use to adjust how long you need to hover over an underlined text to open the tooltip? It's usually not a problem but i tend to check my prestige very often and it gets a bit anooying to be waiting hovering over the prestige number and then again hovering over the leading goods producer number.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I'd love to be able to see a Census Data tab for the whole global population, including uncivs :) Seeing it change and grow over the span of a game would be a lot of fun, and it might help identify bugs and imbalances related to assimilation & migration.