• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Victoria 3 - Dev Diary #103 - 1.6 Teaser

16_9.jpg

Hello everyone, happy new year and welcome back to another Victoria 3 development diary, the first of many for 2024. Today is just going to be a very short dev diary with a first look at free update 1.6, which as we mentioned in Dev Diary #102, will be a standalone update (meaning not accompanied by a paid DLC) that is next up on our release schedule.

1.6 is going to be a smaller update that focuses almost entirely on game polish (meaning bug fixes, performance work, UX and AI improvements) and not on adding features to the game, since after the massive slew of changes to the game that was 1.5 we now want to instead focus on smoothing out some of the rougher edges of the game. While we could of course just continue to release hotfixes for 1.5, focusing our efforts into a proper update instead is going to allow us to tackle some things (particularly on the performance and military pathfinding side) that would be too risky to include in a hotfix.

While all this means that you shouldn’t expect much to change on the post-release plans roadmap from 1.6 alone, you can expect some nice new QoL changes, such as the Pop Browser, a new interface inspired by Victoria 2’s Pop Interface, which gives you a comprehensive overview of your country’s population that allows you to more easily identify problems or opportunities, such as pinpointing where exactly those 1 million radicals that keep stirring up trouble are coming from.

The Pop Browser comes with an extensive list of filters to make the selection of Pops you want to look at as broad or narrow as suits your needs
DD103_01.png

The Pop Browser is one of a few other UX improvements coming in the update, but we will elaborate more on the other changes in our next dev diary (in two weeks) - going through the specifics of UI/UX changes in 1.6. See you then!

• 142Like
  • 96Love
  • 3Haha
Reactions:
This comment has been reserved by the community team for developer responses!

Will we be able to sort by states with the highest peasant/unemployed population? This is really important for countries with high population states like China and EIC.
There is a filter for "Is Employed/Unemployed" and one for each Pop Type, which then would only give you the Pops that matches these criteria. That subset will then be visualized in the charts, and is sortable in the spreadsheet. Would that cover your use case?

The POP browser is a nice addtion. Is there aplan to implement a "state browser", too? At the moment there is no possibility to compare your states in an easy way.
We are looking into adding more similar browsers for future updates. States is one of the prime candidates for this.

One thing that worries me - I don't see a button to change to pie charts view, is it planned?
The button to switch between Area Charts and Pie Charts are there, they are just hidden until you hover over the item (just like all other Area/Pie Charts in the game).

i am mad you wrote this comment because it would not have bothered me but now i want it to say census data
I'm not, because now it is called that :D
Thanks @Buladelu!

I hope that in these UI/UX changes is included a bit of overhaul of notifications (these on lower right of the screen). The fact that they overlap the whatever-is-it-called-on-the-right-where-you-can-pin-stuff is so infuriating I can't play without a mod that moves it a bit to the left.
1.6 will include a few improvements in this area, and adding a setting for moving the Notification feed to the left of the Outliner is one of those improvements. More on that in a later DD.

When selecting categories to filter, will we be able to use Shift+Click or Ctrl+Click to select multiple filters?
You'll be able to select several categories, yes, so now you'll be able to easily find all your Irish Shopkeepers and Officers living in either Singapore or Jamaica, that has Loyalists, are discriminated against due to their Religion, and has a positive Pop Growth.

Is removing the "ball of doom" to display notifications next? I would love to see the "notification flags" return.
This was already added in 1.5, you can now set it so that all Important Actions appear as Alerts instead of in the Current Situation list.

If the next DD is in two weeks, and it will still be about 1.6, to me it seems unlikely that Sphere of Influence can keep the Q1 release window, can you share anything about that? (not mad, to be clear, I would just like to know, if possible)
Can't share anything about it at the moment, but we will as soon as we can!

Last edited by a moderator:
  • 9Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Hyped for the patch!
Is adding a Migration Attraction buff for colonial nations in the plans? Currently how it works is they don't get the rank percentage boost from their overlords, which means they nearly never get migrants anymore (and often get a negative flow)

• 13Like
Reactions:
Will we be able to sort by states with the highest peasant/unemployed population? This is really important for countries with high population states like China and EIC.

• 14Like
Reactions:
I know it's a minor thing, but I am a little bit irked by using terminology like "Pop browser". I know you have to use the term "pop" itself to make the text readable, but terms like that take you out of the experience a little bit. It might look better as "Census data" or something.

• 53Like
  • 1Love
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
Good afternoon,a great dd and very nice QOL feature.Thank you very much for that.Otherwise,happy new year to all and hope you had nice holidays as well.Looking forward to the next dev diary in 2 weeks.However,a question regarding the new pop browser:
When we are in the pop browser interface,can we click on one of the specific pops to see the usual pop panel?
Thanks for any replies about this.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Nice pop chart. Will be great to find who's richest pop in nation or world (if you do annex_all, or being toggle in debug mode)
Pie chart by workplace also would be cool to see.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Will the 1.6 update include bug fixes for:

General Traits not impacting combat?

Private Sector building allocation pulling from the government revenue when the investment pool is empty?

Tweaks for pop demand to account for MAPI inefficiency's? Currently in mid to late game most products have negative base price.

Cultural communities coming back?

• 4Like
Reactions:
UI is one of the weakest aspects of V3. I'm glad it's being looked at.

• 7Like
Reactions:
There is a filter for "Is Employed/Unemployed" and one for each Pop Type, which then would only give you the Pops that matches these criteria. That subset will then be visualized in the charts, and is sortable in the spreadsheet. Would that cover your use case?

• 6Like
Reactions:
The POP browser is a nice addtion. Is there aplan to implement a "state browser", too? At the moment there is no possibility to compare your states in an easy way.

• 1Love
Reactions:
Can I ask for you to add a few achievements in 1.6 rather than wait till the next paid dlc to do so as you did with 1.4. As this always adds some fun new scenarios to encourage us to play more of the new patch.

• 1Like
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
We are looking into adding more similar browsers for future updates. States is one of the prime candidates for this.

• 30Like
  • 9Love
Reactions:
Great! I loved looking at charts in Vic2 but UI in Vic3 somehow made me almost never look at charts section. Im glad that view similar to VicII's will be introduced.

One thing that worries me - I don't see a button to change to pie charts view, is it planned?

Ps. Pie chart with election result in government window would also be good addition.

Last edited:
  • 1Love
Reactions: