• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Victoria 3 - Dev Diary #104 - Quality of Life improvements in 1.6

16_9.jpg

Hello and welcome to this Dev Diary that will mainly focus on the Quality of Life improvements we will add to the game with 1.6. The improvements for this update are mainly focused on three areas: Diplomacy, the Outliner and the Census Data panel, with some additional bug fixes and improvements sprinkled on top.

Diplomacy​

The “Start Diplomatic Play” popup has gotten an overhaul that should make it much easier to get an idea of how likely any Country is to side for or against you. The “Relative Preference for Country” tooltip has also been polished up. It now gives you more information on the first level of the tooltip, which in turn should make it clearer which factors go into the AI’s decision making process.

DD104_01.png

The tooltip for a Country has gotten completely reworked to include better contextual information, more data and clearer information hierarchy.

DD104_02.png

The Country details panel has gotten a slight tweak to the layout, which makes it possible to see both the Country’s Attitude towards you, and their current Strategies at a glance. Since these factors are important in the AI’s decision making process, having them more easily accessible should help make a Country’s behavior more comprehensible.

DD104_03.png

The Diplomacy Map Mode has gotten a new Map Marker that shows any ongoing Pacts you have with that Country, their Attitude towards you and Relations (+ any eventual rate of change)

DD104_04.png

Diplomatic Pacts have been reworked to more clearly state what could cause them to break. This change is also reflected in the “Pact has broken” Notifications, making them easier to understand.

DD104_05.png

Outliner rework​

The Outliner now has tabs (Pinned / Economy / Politics / Diplomacy / Military / All). Most Outliner items also had a design pass, and most of them now show some additional information. We have also added a new Outliner item for Countries, showing their Rank, Attitude towards you and Relations.

In addition to these changes, you are now able to unpin Political Movements, Diplomatic Plays etc, giving you more control over what is shown in the Outliner. We have also added an option to move the Notification feed to the left of the Outliner, similar to what Nugget’s mod “Notifications not over Outliner” does.

DD104_06.png

Notifications are now color-coded to give you more information at a glance.

DD104_07.png

The Census Data panel, formerly known as The Pop Browser​

In the previous Dev Diary we introduced the Pop Browser (which has been renamed to the “Census Data” panel, based on a suggestion by forum user Buladelu). Since then we have also added Literacy, Job Satisfaction and Needs as columns in a second “page” in the spreadsheet. The common suggestion of visualization of Interest Group membership sadly had to be postponed to a later date due to implementation difficulties and performance concerns. You can of course still see which pops are part of an Interest Group through the Population tab and on the relevant Interest Group details panels, like before. For upcoming updates we are looking at the feasibility of implementing similar screens for other central types of data, with Buildings, States, Countries, and Goods currently being in the very earliest stages of planning.

DD104_08.png
Showing columns for Radicals, Loyalists, Standard of Living, Political Strength and Interest Groups

DD104_09.png
Showing columns for Literacy, Job Satisfaction and Needs

Misc improvements​

Scroll positions within the left-side panels are now saved and restored when opening/closing or navigating between panels, which results in less unnecessary scrolling.

DD104_10.gif

Input Goods Shortage Map Markers are now collected per State on mid zoom level, similar to Construction, reducing the overall map clutter

DD104_11.gif

An “Upgrade All” button has been added, both for Upgrading all Formations in your Country, and for Upgrading all Units within a particular Unit Group in a Formation

DD104_12.png

The Employment Indicator has gotten a reworked tooltip that more clearly explains why a Building is able to hire or not.

DD104_13.png

The way we display Qualifications has also received some significant changes. Previously, we would display all Qualifications for a particular profession in the State Panel, regardless of whether the Pops that held those Qualifications actually had any real chance of becoming that Profession. For example, your Capitalists might very well have tons of Machinist qualifications, but it’s not too likely that they are going to quit their jobs and make the switch from factory owner to factory worker. Adding to this confusion, the ‘Insufficient Qualifications’ warning when constructing a building or changing a PM would only look at Qualifications among Peasants and the Unemployed, meaning its predictions would often not play out that way in practice.

In 1.6, we now always show something we call ‘Employable Qualifications’, which is Qualifications held by Pops that are reasonably able to take a job, defined by meeting the following criteria:
  • Isn't already the relevant pop type
  • Is unemployed or a jobseeker
  • Is not enslaved
  • Isn't working in a government building or subsidized building
  • If employed, wouldn't consider the change in pop type to be a downgrade (ie, Aristocrat qualifications for Farmers aren't likely to be considered - based on wage weight and how well their current workplace is paying)

What this means is that when you get a warning for a building that’s to be constructed not having enough Qualifications to fill, that warning can actually be trusted, and you’ll have a much easier time determining which Professions are a bottleneck for your industrialization efforts.

DD104_14.png

The tooltip for changing Production Methods now has much more accurate predictions as it now takes more factors into account than before (Employment changes, Throughput, State Traits among others), plus had a few bugs fixed.

DD104_15.png

The Construction Interaction now has two modes for the list items: “Condensed” (which is what is currently in game in 1.5) and the new “Full” mode, which has additional information like State Traits, Employment, Production Methods and Local Prices for Input and Output Goods.

DD104_16.png

The Transfer Units panel has gotten some extra functionality compared to what is currently available in 1.5 based on many requests from our players. First and foremost, you can now with one quick button press move all or half of the Units and Commanders over to the other side. You may of course want to be more detailed when setting up your transfers, something we now provide additional tools for, namely:
  • Text input box (write the number you want immediately)
  • Slider + Arrow buttons (slide the number to whatever you need it to be)
  • A list of all individual Units (if you want to be really nitty gritty and select/deselect individual units)
DD104_17.png

DD104_18.gif

We want to have most lists sortable and/or filterable by suitable factors in our game, which is becoming more and more of a standard for us to help you find the exact thing you want especially in lists with more than 10 entries. In the Transfer Unit window we have included a filter for you to get the Units from a specific State in the selected Formation.

DD104_19.png

During one of our Personal Development Time days we finally made a working prototype for what has internally been referred to as the Holy Grail of Tooltips UX: Tables in Tooltips. This implementation is only used in two places as of 1.6, but we’ll most likely start using these more often in the future, as they make it much easier to present certain types of information with greater clarity.

DD104_20.png

DD104_21.png

Closing thoughts​

Working on the Quality of Life improvements for 1.6 has been both really fun and rewarding, as it includes some improvements with a high positive impact on the overall UX of the game. The high point for me was either finally seeing the Census Data panel take shape (after having been one of those features that we have had scheduled for “the next patch” for a very long time) or solving how to move the Start Diplomatic Play predictions out from the tooltips into the popup panel.

That’s it for this week! In two weeks Alex will discuss the upcoming changes to the migration mechanics and their impact on game performance.

• 188Love
  • 110Like
Reactions:
This comment has been reserved by the community team for developer responses!

Any chance we can also get a incorporated/unincorporated states filter for the building tab? When you unlock new tech and want to upgrade your homeland states buildings but not your colonies it can take a lot of time going through each state one by one.View attachment 1079174
Not for 1.6, but definitely for a future update.

That looks really great! Would love to see the same thing done for army units (like they do in HOI4 when you zoom out) as they clutter the map as well but a system like HOI4's would resolve that beautifully.
We are looking into this, but I can't make any promises for 1.6. It is definitely on our radar though.

Diplo demand screen is looking amazing! Any plans on expanding that type of information in the diplo play screen itself, such as showing the sympathy different nations have towards you and the target, and how war goals would affect that?
Ah, yes! The same numbers that are exposed in the Start Diplomatic Play popup are also available in the Sway tab of the Diplomatic Play panel.

Looks great. In the build queue, could you add a button to move a build straight to the top of the queue please?
That is already available unless I am missing something. Alt-Click on the "Move up in Construction Queue" button moves it to the top (and vice versa for the "Move down" button).

There is one more thing that is not mentioned in the DevDiary, as it was added at the last minute - topbar now shows how much Infamy your country has.

Infamy.jpg

Is this talking about 1.6? If so, it means that there is still no 1.6 after two weeks, and it also means that the next DLC is even further away.
Yes this is for 1.6

Really good changes! But I have a question: any progress about the timeline -release and gameplay information about the Dlc Sphere of Influence?
March is coming...
We will keep people updated about Sphere of Influence when we can and will make sure people know what date it is coming, which will be most likely in a future Dev Diary.

Is there any chance that our settings for the outliner will be saved in a log file somewhere instead of in the game save? Every single new game my first action is to pin interest groups to the outliner. It would be really nice if the game could just remember that is how I like my outliner configured. All the outliner customization is great- but if I have to recustomize my outliner every single new game I start, thats just an extra chore.
Not for 1.6, but Your Market, Interest Groups, Army, and Navy will be pinned by default now.

This is all looking fantastic and I am very much awaiting the opportunity to play with these improvements.

Now when you say "upcoming changes to the migration mechanics" am I correct in assuming that this will NOT be part of the 1.6 update?
This is part of 1.6

Would it also be possible to edit Diplomatic Plays such that if we don't call an Ally, our alliance doesn't break (and vice versa), or warn us through a notification when an Alliance is broken or about to break?

And Praise the Lord, We can now transfer Half or All our armies! :)
Alliances breaking because you can't call allies is fixed in 1.6!

Another addition that I meant to post yesterday: Consolidated Military Formation mapmarkers should now also be making it into 1.6! It combines all formations from Allies/Enemies at the same location into a single box each, with combined/averaged statistics. Clicking a consolidated marker gives you a selection menu for the formations it contains. Your own formations still have one map marker each, so it's easier to order them around.

image (26).png

image (27).png

image (28).png

Last edited by a moderator:
  • 3Like
Reactions:
Very nice thank you. It is much appreciated.
I'd like to request as another QoL improvement, that if we demand a specic country to be liberated that the outlines of said country would be highlighted on the world map. Makes it much easier to decide which country to liberate

• 44Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Any chance we can also get a incorporated/unincorporated states filter for the building tab? When you unlock new tech and want to upgrade your homeland states buildings but not your colonies it can take a lot of time going through each state one by one.
1000008813.png

• 15Like
Reactions:
With what you did toward all of the presented panels, calling it just an improvement is an incredible understatement¡
This cannot be called anything other than the overhaul.

• 13Like
Reactions:
Would it also be possible to edit Diplomatic Plays such that if we don't call an Ally, our alliance doesn't break (and vice versa), or warn us through a notification when an Alliance is broken or about to break?

And Praise the Lord, We can now transfer Half or All our armies! :)

• 18Like
  • 2Love
Reactions:
Input Goods Shortage Map Markers are now collected per State on mid zoom level, similar to Construction, reducing the overall map clutter

That looks really great! Would love to see the same thing done for army units (like they do in HOI4 when you zoom out) as they clutter the map as well but a system like HOI4's would resolve that beautifully.

• 6Like
Reactions:
We are looking into this, but I can't make any promises for 1.6. It is definitely on our radar though.

• 31Like
  • 3Love
Reactions:
Any chance the “civilian ships not appearing on the map” bug is fixed for 1.6?
The phrase “literally unplayable” gets thrown around a lot I know, but…

Reactions:
Great changes all around, the new diplo map markers are a favourite of mine :)

One wish that i have and would love to see one day is the ability to rearrange the position of items in the outliner (and construction menu) per drag and drop.

Reactions:
It seems that situations button is not shown almost deliberately, are there any plans for it since it was really cluttered? I would really appreciate option to split it or at least color code the numbers on it.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Great changes! I'm looking forward to it! :)

Reactions:
Especially excited about clearer explanations for why a building isn't hiring. The vagueness of that has been driving me crazy.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I adore all these QoL change, I love the Construction Interaction window but would it be possible to group states by strategic region to make managing colonial empire easier ? When you have a large empire it's hard to differentiate your metropole from your colony.

Reactions:
Diplo demand screen is looking amazing! Any plans on expanding that type of information in the diplo play screen itself, such as showing the sympathy different nations have towards you and the target, and how war goals would affect that?

• 2Like
Reactions:
This, THIS is exactly what we need from Vic3. While content updates like Brazil and France are great and definitely needed, I’m incredibly glad the Vic3 team is taking the time to do amazing QoL updates like this. Every change shown here is awesome and I cannot wait to play with it.

• 15Like
Reactions:
These changes look really helpful, especially the Census Data Needs column (that will eliminate a lot of clicks) and the tables in Party tooltips.