• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Stellaris Dev Diary #46 - Enclaves

Hello everyone and welcome to another Stellaris development diary. This development diary will cover Leviathans, the recently announced DLC that will be accompanying the 1.3 'Heinlein' update. As previously mentioned, Leviathans is not an expansion but rather something we call a 'Story Pack', a collection of mostly scripted content that is larger than an event pack but smaller than a full expansion. Originally, Heinlein was supposed to be an update accompanying a full-fledged expansion, but we chose instead to do a Story Pack so that the Stellaris programmers would be able to focus on bug fixing, UI improvements and improving/reworking features in the free update.

The Heinlein update has already been covered in several development diaries, but I still thought I should take the time to remind everyone of what it contains. Note that this is NOT an exhaustive list:
  • Awakened Fallen Empires
  • Fallen Empire quests, tasks and general improvements
  • Fleet Roles and new XL weapons
  • Weapon Balance rework
  • Federation Victory Condition
  • Strategic Resource Rework
  • Auto-Exploration
  • Rally Points
  • Expansion Planner
  • Habitability System Rework
  • Federation/Alliance Rework
  • Federation Association Status
  • Better control over sectors
  • 4 new portraits (NOT the 'cuties')
  • Major sound and graphics improvements
  • Space Creature rework, including new art and encounters
  • Loads of bug fixes, AI improvements and UI improvements
The Leviathans Story Pack, meanwhile, will contain the following. This IS an exhaustive list:
  • Guardians feature
  • Enclaves feature
  • War in Heaven feature
  • 5 new portraits ('cuties')
  • 20+ minutes of new music by Andreas Waldetoft

With that out of the way, on to today's topic! Today we'll be talking about Enclaves, one of the above listed paid features. Enclaves are a new type of precursors those with the Leviathans Story Pack will encounter while exploring the galaxy. Instead of living on planets and controlling an empire, they are neutral traders, artists and scholars who reside in ancient space stations and who will offer their services to anyone who is willing to pay.
rszdfIQ.png

There are three types of Enclaves, each with their own range of interactions:
  • Traders allow you to exchange minerals for energy and vice versa.
  • Artists allow you to commission a piece of art that can be placed on one of your planets as a building, or become their patron to support more advanced works.
  • Curators allow you to purchase star charts, enlist their aid in furthering your research, or purchase information about the different Guardians and their weaknesses.
HBqDQn2.png

In addition to these basic interactions, each type of Enclave also has an 'advanced' interaction. This interaction is not immediately available, but must be earned by building up that Enclave's opinion of your empire. This is done by utilizing their basic interactions, so for example a Trader Enclave's opinion of you will increase every time you trade minerals and energy with them. An Enclave that is located inside of your borders will also have its opinion of you slowly increase over time. The advanced interactions are as follows:
  • Traders will sell you a unique strategic resource accessible only to them.
  • Artists can be asked to organize a festival across your worlds, improving happiness across your entire empire.
  • Curators will allow you to recruit one of their researchers, who provides access to unique technologies not otherwise researchable.
DFMb1sw.png

Of course, if your empire leans more towards the Fanatical Purifier type of thinking, you can also choose to simply attack an Enclave. Their space stations are powerful, but not invincible, and you may just find valuable salvage and technologies among the wreckage.

That's all for today! Next time we'll be talking about the headline feature of the Leviathans Story Pack, the Guardians, so stay tuned! In the meanwhile, here's a little teaser of what to expect...
c3NyPko.png

Last edited:
Reactions:
Trading star charts with other empires does not block access to anomalies, as access to anomalies is blocked by another country surveying that star first.

We're looking into how to make anomalies also appear in midgame and prevent precursor chains from breaking.

Reactions:
Those prices seem egregious. 3 energy per mineral?

Also, is there a chance the recruited researcher can have the Psionics Eypertise trait so non-WH non-spiritualist empires can finally get somewhat reliable acess to jump drives?
Ah, but these are the finest quality minerals from some of the best and most ethical quarries in the galaxy. Honestly, this rate is a steal, but we like you that much.

Reactions:
But you don't have to choose between the two. You can both exploit your Pop and buy Minerals.

I agree that minerals-sellign Enclaves are kinda useless, though. Until now you needed to have good relations with other empires in order to have interesting deals. Now you just need to find an Enclave... And in mid/late game it's even worse. We already have too much minerals (and even credits) at this point.
Civ5's city states provide unique ressources and more diplomatic power. Traders provide energy or minerals, which is maybe only good in early/mid game, and is very punctual anyway.

I can't imagine how the devs didn't think of giving them unique ressources to trade. That was the obvious thing to do...

Did you read the dev diary? It explicitly says they have unique resources to trade.

Reactions:
@Wiz It may have been said before, but is there something being done to limit portrait re-use as much as possible?

Yes, actually. Portrait re-use will now only happen if literally every portrait is used or because of players using/force-spawning same portraits.

Reactions:
Am I the only one who think this Enclave looks very similar to Civilization City-States?
Quite interesting, though.
Now shut up and take my money!

Last edited:
Reactions:
Looking good, especially the Guardian picture! I do have a question about the Heinlein content-list however. Back in the days when you announced the first three patches (Clarke Asimov and Heinlein) you gave a rough list of features. I understand that a lot has changed since then but you did talk about more mid-game and colony events in that developer diary. Can we still expect them in one way or another for Heinlein or are they scrapped or delayed until further notice?

I've answered this a few times but will do so again: More colony events and such will come, but as events really don't shake up the game that much the priority is instead of things that more substantively flesh out the midgame, such as awakening Fallen Empires.

Reactions:
To make the traders more realistic, please do include discounts!

Like Energy for Minerals:

300 for 100

1500 for 600

3000 for 1400

Just a minor thing, but makes it feel more capitalistic/trady.

After all there are always delivery and packaging and workforce costs!

Trade ratios shown are not finalized.

Reactions:
Id shove money at the screen, but I dont know how much to.

Reactions:
I expected that Guardian to be a tad larger... More of a large winged snake than a big headed butterfly like the artwork suggested

It's uh, pretty damn big.

Reactions:
Is this also true for uplifted species? It´s been a long time since I last uplifted a mammal species. I just remember they turned all into human looking ones.

Pretty sure that's fixed.

Reactions:
Is there ever going to be a rework of jump drive tech to make it more easily available to non-wormhole and non-spiritualist civs?

Heinlein.

Reactions:
@Wiz
Wow, I love that you've got portrait re-use fixed, and apparently species uplift portraits too. AND jumpdrives are reworked to be more available to non-WH users? That's great, is there a post somewhere that goes into more detail on that change somewhere?

Two questions:
1. Is the allied fleets not using any AI behaviour and just sticking to your doomstack confirmed fixed in Heinlein?
2. Will there be a way to disable portraits from random usage? I really like the Leviathan content, but I'm not a huge fan of "cute" aliens.

Jump Drives are now potentially attainable at any time after unlocking Zero Point Power, having high levels of your FTL tech and certain leader traits makes it more likely. It's really rare if you don't stack the odds for it, though.

Reactions:
Curators allow you to purchase star charts
What benefit will purchasing star charts have over exploring with your own ships? Will buying the charts negate the ability to find anomalies? (Regarding the latter, I'll admit that I haven't played in a while, due to HoI4, and when I do I never trade for the charts, so if this has been changed so you can still find anomalies after getting access to other empires' data, I am unaware of it (but would be happy to learn that it is the case.))

Reactions:
@Wiz
Wow, I love that you've got portrait re-use fixed, and apparently species uplift portraits too. AND jumpdrives are reworked to be more available to non-WH users? That's great, is there a post somewhere that goes into more detail on that change somewhere?

Two questions:
1. Is the allied fleets not using any AI behaviour and just sticking to your doomstack confirmed fixed in Heinlein?
2. Will there be a way to disable portraits from random usage? I really like the Leviathan content, but I'm not a huge fan of "cute" aliens.

1) You can toggle your fleets so that the AI doesn't attach to them, they should also be smarter about who and when to attach to.
2) Yes, via modding.

Reactions:
Those prices seem egregious. 3 energy per mineral?

Also, is there a chance the recruited researcher can have the Psionics Eypertise trait so non-WH non-spiritualist empires can finally get somewhat reliable acess to jump drives?

Reactions:
Resources and other goods Enclaves offers have fixed price or depend on relationship with Empires?

On side note, i'm surprised that proper Pirates aren't presented as separate enclave that breed troubles but can be used to harass other Empires in "Privateer style".

Some sort of "mercenary guild"/pirate/privateer station would be a cool enclave.

Reactions:
Originally, Heinlein was supposed to be an update accompanying a full-fledged expansion, but we chose instead to do a Story Pack so that the Stellaris programmers would be able to focus on bug fixing, UI improvements and improving/reworking features in the free update.

Curious: was Leviathan going to happen anyway or is the idea of "Story Pack" a result of this shift of priorities? Leviathan is looking like a small but interesting improvement, seems sensible to assume that others of this type are coming.

As an aside, one of my pet peeves of the current DLC model is that once a feature is added through it, it's probably not going to be touched upon much more. These Enclaves, for example, sound like a good addition, yet with quite a bit of unfulfilled potential. Maybe these Enclaves would give you quests. Maybe you could receive quests that directly involve these Enclaves. Maybe Pacifist Xenophile Fallen Empires take a shine to them, maybe some others treat them with disdain.

So I guess an extra question would be: do you think this DLC model locks you out from further developing potentially interesting features on account of "not everyone has DLC XYZ"?

Reactions:
To make the traders more realistic, please do include discounts!

Like Energy for Minerals:

300 for 100

1500 for 600

3000 for 1400

Just a minor thing, but makes it feel more capitalistic/trady.

After all there are always delivery and packaging and workforce costs!

Reactions: