• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Greetings to the void-dwellers and planet-bound alike!

This week we’ll be talking about some changes we’re planning on making to the engineering marvels that are Orbital Habitats. These are currently slated for the May update that grekulf mentioned two weeks ago.

Introduced in Utopia, Orbital Habitats provide a way to continue some form of limited expansion after colonizing all of the habitable planets within your empire. In the 2.3 “Wolfe” update, we added some specialized districts to them based on the celestial body they orbited, opening up the possibility for things like building dedicated astro-mining facilities, and recently in Federations, we added a Void Dwellers origin which let you start your empire among the stars in three habitats.

This May, we’ll be introducing multiple tiers of habitats. These will be accessible to anyone with the Utopia expansion or using the Void Dwellers origin from Federations.

The first tier of Orbital Habitats now comes a bit earlier in the tech tree and require fewer alloys to build. The basic Orbital Habitat is smaller than the old version, starting with 4 district slots. They also have a simpler appearance than the ones currently in the game, a core of a station to build upon later.

upload_2020-4-9_9-16-6.png

Fungoid Orbital Habitat

The Habitat Expansion engineering technology is placed around where the Habitat technology used to be in the tech tree, and will allow you to upgrade an Orbital Habitat that has filled all of its districts to an Advanced Habitat using a planetary decision that costs some time and alloys.

upload_2020-4-9_9-13-8.png

Upgrading to an Advanced Habitat provides 2 additional district slots and allows basic housing buildings to be built even for normal empires.

The Advanced Habitat upgrade adds a ring of modules around the central core.

upload_2020-4-9_9-13-24.png

Avian Advanced Habitat

A third technology permits upgrading a fully developed Advanced Habitat that has a Habitat Central Control into a Habitat World.

upload_2020-4-9_9-13-51.png

Habitat Worlds have 8 districts, shown as another ring of modules around the habitat.

upload_2020-4-9_9-14-4.png

Humanoid Habitat World

The Voidborne Ascension Perk has undergone a few changes as well.

upload_2020-4-9_9-14-21.png

The perk now gives each of your habitats 2 additional building slots and automatically grants access to the Habitat upgrade technologies. Regular empires with the perk can also build advanced housing buildings on their Advanced Habitats and Habitat Worlds instead of being limited to only basic structures.

Void Dwellers will automatically start with the Habitat Expansion tech option available for them to research, and their primary habitat will begin as an Advanced Habitat while the other two will begin as somewhat cramped regular Orbital Habitats. In our internal playtests, we’ve found that Voidborne is exceptionally valuable for them to pick up early for the extra building slots, and the reduced alloy cost of building new habitats should relieve some of the additional pressure caused by the smaller starting size of their secondary habitats.

During this pass we’ve taken care of a handful of other habitat related issues, such as those built above nanite deposits now retain the nanite production, and habitats built above Zro, Dark Matter, Living Metal, or Nanite deposits are now treated as research habitats. As a quality of life improvement, you no longer need to remove orbital mining or research stations to build a habitat, the construction process will automatically disassemble them upon habitat completion.

Here are the full tiers of a few of the habitat types:

upload_2020-4-9_9-14-44.png

Humanoid Habitats

upload_2020-4-9_9-14-55.png

Plantoid Habitats

upload_2020-4-9_9-15-8.png

Lithoid Habitats

---

Next week we’ll have another sneak peek at the May update, see you then!

You'll no longer have to destroy them to build them, it'll dismantle them automatically.
Interesting! Will the AI be able to handle this case?

Yes. The screenshot is the modified version.

(Several comments on traditions.)
I'm not thrilled with current interactions between traditions and habitats, but major changes to them are likely out of scope at this time.

Thanks for answering!
Would just changing the affected traditions to something that already exists be consideren a major change? Like changing +1 clerk per city district to +2 housing per habitation district or something. That sounds pretty minor to me, but that doesn't mean much :)

Please, just focus on fixing the AI. If this is gonna help the AI to use habitats is welcome

Why do we need more cool features if the IA still not able to manage the basic ones?

• 1Like
Reactions:
How about A TON of perks and traditions simply not affecting habitats and being useless for Void Dwellers?
Unless the void dweller settles a planet with robots or migrant pops.

The Void Dweller origin doesn't mean that you will stay in space forever. Its very easy to get a other pop type and settle planets and then all bonuses do apply. So they are not neccessarily useless for Void Dweller.

i like habitats for tall play but they get overcrowded fast . Living space is a problem ... any solutions to that ?

That sounds more like a feature.

Just to be safe, once we researched advances habitats we can build them directly and not have to build the basic version and then upgrade them by decision, right?

Did you consider to allow building habitats above moons/asteroids? Maybe restrict the habitat level if it is above one? Or let habitats consider a planets moons resources?

Here's a bit of a crazy idea:

Have you considered removing construction ships?

Imo, none of the interesting construction decisions in this game involve how many constructions ships you build and where you put them. It's by and large just meaningless micromanagement.

The only meaningful thing added by construction ships right now is as a test to see if you can actually get to a surveyed by unclaimed system before trying to claim it. I don't think you need to force us to micromanage annoying worker units for the whole game just to get that one constraint on building.

Just let us right click systems and planets to build on them. It'll remove a ton of needless clicks and pretty much no meaningful decisions. (The interesting and meaningful building decisions are about resource expenditure, never construction ship placement/availability.)

• 1Like
Reactions:
The Voidborne Ascension Perk has undergone a few changes as well.

Interesting changes in this update. Right now, the Voidborne perk is extremely lackluster. Habitability is usually easy to pick up thanks to 4 times 5% technology bonuses any empire will most likely end up with 100% habitability on Habitats eventually. Before this update, we still get +2 maximum districts from voidborne, which is now added to the advanced habitats baseline.

Do I understand this correctly, are these buildings slots additional maximum building slots? Or do these building slots simply get unlocked earlier, just like how Hiveminds have a tradition to unlock an additional building slot earlier on planets?

Because if this does not add maximum building slots and you also removed the +2 district effect, then I don't see myself ever using this Ascension perk.

And I would like to remind you guys, please allow Gestalts to start on Habitats. Its so sad to see you guys focus on one aspect of the game, but Gestalts are getting left out again. Its such a big missed opportunity. You could roleplay a Devouring Swarm Organism which escaped a research Habitat and spreads out into the galaxy or something similar.

I have the same thought about Scion Start for Gestalts. The Materialist FE calls you "an experiment" and there were many before you. Isn't the Contingency just the same thing? And experiment by their creators gone wrong? So much potential with these Origins for Gestalts. I hope you reconsider lifting the restrictions.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Interesting changes in this update. Right now, the Voidborne perk is extremely lackluster. Habitability is usually easy to pick up thanks to 4 times 5% technology bonuses any empire will most likely end up with 100% habitability on Habitats eventually.

Do I understand this correctly, are these buildings slots additional maximum building slots? Or do these building slots simply get unlocked earlier, just like how Hiveminds have a tradition to unlock an additional building slot earlier on planets?

Because if this does not add maximum building slots and you also removed the +2 district effect, then I don't see myself ever using this Ascension perk.

And I would like to remind you guys, please allow Gestalts to start on Habitats. Its so sad to see you guys focus on one aspect of the game, but Gestalts are getting left out again. Its such a big missed opportunity. You could roleplay a Devouring Swarm Organism which escaped a research Habitat and spreads out into the galaxy or something similar.

I have the same thought about Scion Start for Gestalts. The Materialist FE calls you "an experiment" and there were many before you. Isn't the Contingency just the same thing? And experiment by their creators gone wrong? So much potential with these Origins for Gestalts. I hope you reconsider lifting the restrictions.
true
nothing interesting in the game are done with construction ships
most of it does are just finger breaking busy work
might as well remove it

Here's a bit of a crazy idea:

Have you considered removing construction ships?

Imo, none of the interesting construction decisions in this game involve how many constructions ships you build and where you put them. It's by and large just meaningless micromanagement.

The only meaningful thing added by construction ships right now is as a test to see if you can actually get to a surveyed by unclaimed system before trying to claim it. I don't think you need to force us to micromanage annoying worker units for the whole game just to get that one constraint on building.

Just let us right click systems and planets to build on them. It'll remove a ton of needless clicks and pretty much no meaningful decisions. (The interesting and meaningful building decisions are about resource expenditure, never construction ship placement/availability.)

Instead of that, why not make them actually important? As you say they are only relevant on checking where you can build things. Then why not making them more relevant? For example the cost more and you can't have many, a limited number of them. But now they can't only build things, they can work together to speed up the building time. By having constructions ships to build the same ring world you get less time of waiting. The increased cost mean you can't spam them, and the number limit puts a cap in how much useful they are, but the tandem work makes them more relevant than before :)

true
nothing interesting in the game are done with construction ships
most of it does are just finger breaking busy work
might as well remove it
atm they serve a balance work , construction ships require time to perform and move around the stars ; making big empires build more construction ships , that cost upkeeps , and move around .

not to say that you can change the system with a "abstract" one that does the same thing , but usualy the majority doesn't like abstraction .

Please, just focus on fixing the AI. If this is gonna help the AI to use habitats is welcome

Why do we need more cool features if the IA still not able to manage the basic ones?

So that we have more cool features. The current economical AI can handle the economy pretty well and, if I understood "the Plan" correctly, this will not affect that.
Fixes to the warfare AI are not done by artists, who made the cool new models, or designers, who came up with the numbers.

So your choice between a better AI and this cool feature does not actually exist. It's just a cool new feature.

Could you look into another solution for void dwellers not liking planets? The subspecies solution isn't really ideal. The subspecies sometimes grows on your normal habitats and you can genemod the planet ones to be the regular ones. It would also be nice if void dwellers wouldn't hate living on ring worlds.Isnt that just a gigantic habitat?
I wouldn't mind if void dwellers got ringworld habitation, but a habitat is a basically just a space station, a giant metal box in space, while a ringworld is a completely (enormous) artificial planet with soil and climate and weather and an ecosystem. They're really not the same.

Could you look into another solution for void dwellers not liking planets? The subspecies solution isn't really ideal. The subspecies sometimes grows on your normal habitats and you can genemod the planet ones to be the regular ones. It would also be nice if void dwellers wouldn't hate living on ring worlds.Isnt that just a gigantic habitat?

Personally I think ring works are vastly different then habitats, living in a Ring world would be closer to living on a planet then a habitat. Personally I think void dwellers not liking planets is good. If you want to colonize planets then get another species and do it ot dont give void dwellers lol.

Housing on habitats?! WOOHOO!

Since habitats are getting another look ... what about considering moons? Either being able to build a habitat above one but not upgrade it, or considering the moon's resources for the habitat? I really, really hate seeing all those mineral moons when playing Void Dwellers, because those are minerals I can never upgrade properly (same goes for science, energy, etc). Or at least, moons of gas giants ... or perhaps just moons above a certain size?

@ Olterin, unfortunately, vanilla district system is limited to 4 types per planet, and it IS very possible to have a planet with moons that provide more than 1 of { minerals, energy, science }. Which type of district will a habitat gain in such a case?

Yes, I too would like for the moon resources to be useful for habitats, but in the current vanilla system it will only be possible if we're allowed to build habitats around moons.

Habitat Tiers, that is a big suprice!

Since habitats are getting another look ... what about considering moons? Either being able to build a habitat above one but not upgrade it, or considering the moon's resources for the habitat? I really, really hate seeing all those mineral moons when playing Void Dwellers, because those are minerals I can never upgrade properly (same goes for science, energy, etc). Or at least, moons of gas giants ... or perhaps just moons above a certain size?

Oh yes!

I would like to see pops on the starbase, too. Starbase = special habitat to building ships or defending the system.

Btw, are this the map icons for the Habitat Tiers?
123.jpg

or considering the moon's resources for the habitat?
Someone made this exact request on the Facebook comments to this. Using the moons resources if you're around its planet is a great idea.

• 1Like
Reactions: