• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Europa Universalis IV - Development Diary 23rd of May 2023 - 1.35.3 known issues and the road to 1.35.4

Hello everyone! I’m Kuba, Release Engineer & Interim QA Coordinator here at Paradox Tinto and today I’d like to talk about some known issues and our plan for upcoming weeks.

After making 1.35.2 and following the hotfix, we addressed most of the pressing issues that could negatively impact your gameplay and could be prepared and tested in the time we had available. That being said, we are not yet done with improvements and bug fixing, as there are issues that are brought up by the community in the forums as well as discovered by our internal testing. The following list is the Known Issues to let you know that we are actively working on fixing these.

1. Issues regarding the canals, that that makes them disappear or not appear at all
  2. Issues with missing Expand Empire Casus Belli
  3. Further fixes for the events of the Chinese floods
  4. Issues related to Taking land in war result in losing all crownland

Also, we are preparing for other less prominent issues, which are nevertheless important to us. Some examples would be:

1. France has access to Strong Duchies after integrating all their Appanages
  2. Issues with Land of the Christian Sun reform for Republic / Theocratic Japan
  3. Siam’s Ideas Rebalance
  4. Fixes in the game translations
  5. Around 100 more upcoming bug fixes like those!

Those examples were chosen to give you an idea of what kind of issues we will be fixing in this patch as well. As you probably noticed I mentioned weeks instead of days, which means the next patch which will be 1.35.4 will come out probably next month, as we want to properly test all changes, especially the balance changes, so we need more time to do it.

We will be monitoring all the bug reports and social media for other issues as well to ensure that our focus is on the bugs that are annoying our community the most. While I cannot promise any particular fix at this point, we will attempt to prioritize and fix as many as we can.

This also means that we won't be posting new development diaries soon, but we will keep the communication open to keep you all informed of our intentions and plans.

• 67Like
  • 3Haha
Reactions:
Concerning Chinese events, there's a very simple test you can use to gauge their balance:

Can AI Ming survive, at least some of the time?

If AI Ming is consistently dying in the first century of every single observation campaign, then this is a clear sign that mandate events are just strangling any semblence of balance with pure spite.

Another needed reality check is to ask the question:

Is it actually desirable to be Emperor of China and to pass reforms?

Would you even want it if it was offered to you (along with the land) for free?

If not, then again, this shows that the mandate setup is just horribly out of whack. When any sensible player would rather be a peasant than deal with being emperor, then you are not modeling China correctly.

I feel that the dev team didn't ask themselves these questions at all when designing the current events.

• 9Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
This is not true. I've done a Brandenburg campaign completing it in time and the disaster did not happen. I also just tested killing the starter ruler and getting the PUs, clicking the challenge mission, then the next day integrating Franconia with console commands in 1444, and now by 1450 nothing happened again.

I'm about to test what happens when you get the Ansbach PU and NOT click the mission immediately, because I'm assuming the timer starts when your ruler died, regardless if you clicked the challenge or not, and that's probably why you are not being successful: counting 5 years from clicking the challenge rather than ruler's death.
You are right. The timer starts as soon as Albrecht Achilles becomes ruler. The flag triggering the disaster in franconia event is set in the succession event.

I understand that bugfix and polishing is no easy task. It requires time, and I wish to thank the team for their continuous efforts to improve this amazing game and communication with the community. However, knowing that I'll at least have to wait another week to FINALLY get access to a stable version of 1.35 is soul-crushing. Especially for someone who has followed most of the dev diaries and pre-ordered the game without hesitation. Should I have known I couldn't play any proper HRE, Castile or China campaign, I will not buy it. I will think about whether I will support the next dlc if the hotfix comes in such efficiency.
Paradox knows that they have a stable fanbase who will buy whatever they put out, no matter how expensive it is, how little it offers, how little it's tested for bugs pre-launch, and how slow it takes them to fix the inevitable slew of gamebreaking issues that are obvious almost immediately upon starting a new game.

• 2Haha
Reactions:
Hiya! Could there be some QoL adjustments for the France mission to get the throne of Naples? Didn't get an event for the PU in my game and started resurrecting the Papal lands from being eaten by Naples. Pope then ate the rest of Naples while I was feeding it the north of Italy. Now I can't get to the mission to get the pope as a vassal because I cannot resolve the Naples mission on the other side of the tree. I think adjusting it to check for the condition where the pope controls all of the south of Italy while being allied and 190+ opinion (+ trust maybe?) could trigger the mission so we can continue in our Franco-Italian expansion?

Also is it me or is that first mission to get to the other side of the Alps kinda complicated to achieve? In that you don't get any claims to get there, but it's also a region that France never held historically, and even Nice became part of France fairly late. Overall with the other missions constantly shifting your focus away from non-claimed lands, I feel like this mission could use an event or something to make it easier to go wage war on the other side of the mountains (think of the AE!).

EDIT: forgot to add one more! Jerusalem (created through mission tree after spending 8500 ducats renovating the great project) does not convert muslim provinces anymore! I converted the necessary ones for the mission, the great project is level 3 (maximum missionary strength) and I give at least 6 ducats per month in subsidies to Jerusalem but they just. will. not. convert. So that's an other mission that I just wont finish I guess.

Last edited:
Reactions:
I feel the same way and would like to request a hotfix for this bug, even if it addresses nothing else.
I understand, but we are already in the progress of preparing a larger patch,
Concerning Chinese events, there's a very simple test you can use to gauge their balance:

Can AI Ming survive, at least some of the time?

If AI Ming is consistently dying in the first century of every single observation campaign, then this is a clear sign that mandate events are just strangling any semblence of balance with pure spite.

Another needed reality check is to ask the question:

Is it actually desirable to be Emperor of China and to pass reforms?

Would you even want it if it was offered to you (along with the land) for free?

If not, then again, this shows that the mandate setup is just horribly out of whack. When any sensible player would rather be a peasant than deal with being emperor, then you are not modeling China correctly.

I feel that the dev team didn't ask themselves these questions at all when designing the current events.
There will be a large number of fixes done to EoC and China-related content
Hi.
Is the bug related to not begin able to sort by dip point in peace deal on your radar?
Not to my knowledge, will ask the team to check if we can make it to this patch
Can you make AI Ottomans actually turn the Mamluks into an eyalet instead of just taking their land directly like they used to?

It's not that difficult, I have almost no experience with coding and managed to fix it.

Code:
country_event = {
    id = flavor_tur.240
    title = flavor_tur.240.t
    desc = flavor_tur.240.desc
    picture = COUNTRY_COLLAPSE_eventPicture
    fire_only_once = yes
    major = yes
    is_triggered_only = yes
    trigger = {
        has_dlc = "Domination"
        tag = TUR
        exists = MAM
        FROM = {
            is_capital = yes
            owner = {
                tag = MAM
            }
        }
        is_in_war = {
            casus_belli = cb_ottoman_invasion
            attacker_leader = TUR
            defender_leader = MAM
        }
    }

option = {
        name = flavor_tur.240.a
        custom_tooltip = flavor_tur.240.a.tt
        set_country_flag = tur_decided_to_go_eyalet
        add_war_exhaustion = -2
        add_prestige = 20
        MAM = {
            country_event = {
                id = flavor_tur.241
            }
        }
        ai_chance = {
            factor = 1
        }
    }

option = {
        name = flavor_tur.240.b
        custom_tooltip = flavor_tur.240.b.tt
        add_war_exhaustion = -2
        add_prestige = 20
        MAM = {
            country_event = {
                id = flavor_tur.241
            }
        }
        add_country_modifier = {
            name = tur_egyptian_annexation
            duration = 7300
        }
        ai_chance = {
            factor = 0
        }
    }
}

I literally just swapped aroung the 0 and 1 factors in the ai_chance sections
I will ask our Content Designers, not sure what is their intent here.

• 7Like
Reactions:
By the way, could you please implement a better way to sell ships? Having to do it manually is a huge pain, and the system hasn't been updated since Art of War.

• 6Like
Reactions:
Reactions:
By the way, could you please implement a better way to sell ships? Having to do it manually is a huge pain, and the system hasn't been updated since Art of War.
That is a good suggestion for QoL improvement, thank you :) I hope we will do it in closer future, tho certainly not with the next patch
Can you please fix mercenary discipline?
Here's the writeup of the issue. https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...rcenary-discipline-bug.1501050/#post-28943948
In short mercenary discipline gives much smaller strength boost to mercs than actual discipline, possibly because it doesn't give land tactics.
I applaud trying to make mercenaries work but because of this bug mercs are still barely viable.
I will check if this issue is tracked internally by us.
And how about the problem that recruiting special units like marine and cossack is unavailable when absolutism under 0?
That one is on our radar, don't wanna promise but the high chance it will be in

• 1Like
Reactions:
Can you make AI Ottomans actually turn the Mamluks into an eyalet instead of just taking their land directly like they used to?

It's not that difficult, I have almost no experience with coding and managed to fix it.

Code:
country_event = {
    id = flavor_tur.240
    title = flavor_tur.240.t
    desc = flavor_tur.240.desc
    picture = COUNTRY_COLLAPSE_eventPicture
    fire_only_once = yes
    major = yes
    is_triggered_only = yes
    trigger = {
        has_dlc = "Domination"
        tag = TUR
        exists = MAM
        FROM = {
            is_capital = yes
            owner = {
                tag = MAM
            }
        }
        is_in_war = {
            casus_belli = cb_ottoman_invasion
            attacker_leader = TUR
            defender_leader = MAM
        }
    }

option = {
        name = flavor_tur.240.a
        custom_tooltip = flavor_tur.240.a.tt
        set_country_flag = tur_decided_to_go_eyalet
        add_war_exhaustion = -2
        add_prestige = 20
        MAM = {
            country_event = {
                id = flavor_tur.241
            }
        }
        ai_chance = {
            factor = 1
        }
    }

option = {
        name = flavor_tur.240.b
        custom_tooltip = flavor_tur.240.b.tt
        add_war_exhaustion = -2
        add_prestige = 20
        MAM = {
            country_event = {
                id = flavor_tur.241
            }
        }
        add_country_modifier = {
            name = tur_egyptian_annexation
            duration = 7300
        }
        ai_chance = {
            factor = 0
        }
    }
}

I literally just swapped aroung the 0 and 1 factors in the ai_chance sections
I kind of assumed that was a deliberate thing because the AI getting a large country for free might be an annoyance for the player.