• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Europa Universalis IV - Development Diary 23rd of May 2023 - 1.35.3 known issues and the road to 1.35.4

Hello everyone! I’m Kuba, Release Engineer & Interim QA Coordinator here at Paradox Tinto and today I’d like to talk about some known issues and our plan for upcoming weeks.

After making 1.35.2 and following the hotfix, we addressed most of the pressing issues that could negatively impact your gameplay and could be prepared and tested in the time we had available. That being said, we are not yet done with improvements and bug fixing, as there are issues that are brought up by the community in the forums as well as discovered by our internal testing. The following list is the Known Issues to let you know that we are actively working on fixing these.

1. Issues regarding the canals, that that makes them disappear or not appear at all
  2. Issues with missing Expand Empire Casus Belli
  3. Further fixes for the events of the Chinese floods
  4. Issues related to Taking land in war result in losing all crownland

Also, we are preparing for other less prominent issues, which are nevertheless important to us. Some examples would be:

1. France has access to Strong Duchies after integrating all their Appanages
  2. Issues with Land of the Christian Sun reform for Republic / Theocratic Japan
  3. Siam’s Ideas Rebalance
  4. Fixes in the game translations
  5. Around 100 more upcoming bug fixes like those!

Those examples were chosen to give you an idea of what kind of issues we will be fixing in this patch as well. As you probably noticed I mentioned weeks instead of days, which means the next patch which will be 1.35.4 will come out probably next month, as we want to properly test all changes, especially the balance changes, so we need more time to do it.

We will be monitoring all the bug reports and social media for other issues as well to ensure that our focus is on the bugs that are annoying our community the most. While I cannot promise any particular fix at this point, we will attempt to prioritize and fix as many as we can.

This also means that we won't be posting new development diaries soon, but we will keep the communication open to keep you all informed of our intentions and plans.

• 67Like
  • 3Haha
Reactions:
Are generals going to get back their old sorting order (instead of the new change that displays siege first)?

• 9Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
There also seems to be other issues with the hre. For example, the event that gives you 5 imp authority just does not happen anymore, and the teutons keeps no cbing the emperor for some reason.
What happens there I think is:
- Teutons apply for HRE membership
- Emperor grants it, but with the proviso that attacking any HRE member will revoke their membership and Emperor smash
- All Teutonic provinces get added to the HRE
- The Danzig event fires, Danzig is released from HRE provinces and thus is in the HRE
- Teutons declare on them as per the event, thus breaking the covenant with the Emperor and this gets transformed into a noCB war on the emperor

In other words either the AI needs better trained how to handle these different event chains, or the event chains need tweaked to better handle each other.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Are you planning to address in same way the fact that mercenaries get affected by normal discipline and mercenary discipline creating stacks with 150% discipline and an extra manpower poll of the size of a small country?

The manpower problem used to get balance by the professionalism, because by recruiting mercs you lose indirectly manpower of the slacken but now that you can recruit mercs without losing manpower it seems very strong.

Also, I will like to see some rebalance to Poland, at the moment there is a build where you can have 110% cavalry combat ability, 100% ratio and stack cav cost and regiment cost making your troops close to free. I have played some MP games were Poland kill the lobby because it has a 1-5 kill ratio and even 1-3 against Prussia.

And one last thing. France has a mission that allows him to inherit Burgundy. To me, it seems you forgot to add a limit to the number of provinces Burgundy can have. Since you can use the mission whenever you want, you can feed your vassal burgundy all the provinces you want and then immediately annex them at no cost. All the decisions that allow you to inherit countries have a limit in provinces (Spain-annexing Aragon, PLC- Lituania, UK- Scotland) except this mission.

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions:
Can you make AI Ottomans actually turn the Mamluks into an eyalet instead of just taking their land directly like they used to?

It's not that difficult, I have almost no experience with coding and managed to fix it.

Code:
country_event = {
    id = flavor_tur.240
    title = flavor_tur.240.t
    desc = flavor_tur.240.desc
    picture = COUNTRY_COLLAPSE_eventPicture
    fire_only_once = yes
    major = yes
    is_triggered_only = yes
    trigger = {
        has_dlc = "Domination"
        tag = TUR
        exists = MAM
        FROM = {
            is_capital = yes
            owner = {
                tag = MAM
            }
        }
        is_in_war = {
            casus_belli = cb_ottoman_invasion
            attacker_leader = TUR
            defender_leader = MAM
        }
    }

option = {
        name = flavor_tur.240.a
        custom_tooltip = flavor_tur.240.a.tt
        set_country_flag = tur_decided_to_go_eyalet
        add_war_exhaustion = -2
        add_prestige = 20
        MAM = {
            country_event = {
                id = flavor_tur.241
            }
        }
        ai_chance = {
            factor = 1
        }
    }

option = {
        name = flavor_tur.240.b
        custom_tooltip = flavor_tur.240.b.tt
        add_war_exhaustion = -2
        add_prestige = 20
        MAM = {
            country_event = {
                id = flavor_tur.241
            }
        }
        add_country_modifier = {
            name = tur_egyptian_annexation
            duration = 7300
        }
        ai_chance = {
            factor = 0
        }
    }
}

I literally just swapped aroung the 0 and 1 factors in the ai_chance sections

I don’t think this will work because the event "Fall of the Mamluk Sultanate" needs a +90 warscore and other conditions. With a +90 warscore, the AI will ask for peace, preventing the event from firing. Probably the easiest way to fix this without major changes is to add a path only for the AI with easier conditions.

eu4_4.png
eu4_4.png

Do you have any plans to fix this issue?
It's so uncomfortable to see "Mission Tree" when "Vassal swarm play".

• 10Haha
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Can Paradox look into:
>Austria never PU'ed Hungary/Bohemia in 90% of my 1.35 games
>Hess winning the HRE in 80% of my games
>Ottos never turning Mamluks into an Eyelet
>Expand Empire CB
>Countries not joining the HRE despite meeting requirements
>Privateer exploit
>Nevers in that it doesn't count being a vassal of France for the Angevi missions
>AI going into debt
>Post 1600 performance - when you access the Macrobuilder or Trade screen it pretty much reduces the game to 5fps
>End Game peace deals. Same thing, i've had multiple CtDs when I tried to peace out a great power in 1750, mainly due to provinces.

Not that the game is unplayable, but it's worse than it was at the end of 1.34

• 6Like
Reactions:
I don't understand. Why u starting fixing Siam? It's been a balanced tag in SEA region, we have strong Hindustan/Nepal/Punjab tags in India, strong Japan (and after this patch overstrong) and Oirat/Manchu, which has cores on all China to click 1 button. Once normal change, IMHO it's creating SIam not before 10 adm tech, not 20, in MP players very rare play until 20 adm tech.

And now Siam has "old new" nerfed ideas, but we can create it on all tech from Lan Xang...

• 7Like
Reactions:
Thanks for all your continued hard work on the game.

Two problems with AI developing its provinces too much
- After the latest patch/DLC Western Europe has a development average of >25 (ca.) by the year 1600. This is much more than ever before as far as I can recall, and to me seems like too much too soon.
- The AI focuses on developing provinces that will spawn coal 200 years before it happens, as it clearly knows it's coming. Atm it's normal to have provinces that will spawn coal in Europe developed as high as 40 by 1550. This has been going on for some patches/DLCs. In my humble opinion the AI shouldn't spam development in those provinces any more than other provinces before coal is actually active there.

• 13Like
Reactions:
Hiya! Could there be some QoL adjustments for the France mission to get the throne of Naples? Didn't get an event for the PU in my game and started resurrecting the Papal lands from being eaten by Naples. Pope then ate the rest of Naples while I was feeding it the north of Italy. Now I can't get to the mission to get the pope as a vassal because I cannot resolve the Naples mission on the other side of the tree. I think adjusting it to check for the condition where the pope controls all of the south of Italy while being allied and 190+ opinion (+ trust maybe?) could trigger the mission so we can continue in our Franco-Italian expansion?

Also is it me or is that first mission to get to the other side of the Alps kinda complicated to achieve? In that you don't get any claims to get there, but it's also a region that France never held historically, and even Nice became part of France fairly late. Overall with the other missions constantly shifting your focus away from non-claimed lands, I feel like this mission could use an event or something to make it easier to go wage war on the other side of the mountains (think of the AE!).

EDIT: forgot to add one more! Jerusalem (created through mission tree after spending 8500 ducats renovating the great project) does not convert muslim provinces anymore! I converted the necessary ones for the mission, the great project is level 3 (maximum missionary strength) and I give at least 6 ducats per month in subsidies to Jerusalem but they just. will. not. convert. So that's an other mission that I just wont finish I guess.
France did held territories in Italy historically in the 16th century during the Italian wars, Piedmont, Milan, Saluzzo, Genoa at the very least. Even if it was short-term (speaking of years or decades), it did happen

Reactions:
Thanks for all your continued hard work on the game.

Two problems with AI developing its provinces too much
- After the latest patch/DLC Western Europe has a development average of >25 (ca.) by the year 1600. This is much more than ever before as far as I can recall, and to me seems like too much too soon.
- The AI focuses on developing provinces that will spawn coal 200 years before it happens, as it clearly knows it's coming. Atm it's normal to have provinces that will spawn coal in Europe developed as high as 40 by 1550. This has been going on for some patches/DLCs. In my humble opinion the AI shouldn't spam development in those provinces any more than other provinces before coal is actually active there.

It really is bad. Random provinces getting incredible development centuries before coal is available. Just finished my Livonia - Almost Prussian Blue run. All the AI provinces with coal were pushed. Aachen located in woods pushed 62 times. Auvergne in mountains pushed 61 times. Neither of them are a center of trade.

• 7Like
Reactions:
A whole month you can't fix a f* game breaking bug, that will ruin every EoC campaign (unless you don't do the EoC missions) and thus one of the "selling points" - reworked EoC is now not a thing. (Actually 2, if we also count Ming mission tree)
Still no release date for patch. "Probably next month" it can be 30 June. It seems only one person are currently fixing AND TESTING all the bugs.

I did an awesome Japan run after the DLC came out that ended in the 1650s due to those flood events breaking my mandate. Supremely frustrating.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Can Paradox look into:
>Austria never PU'ed Hungary/Bohemia in 90% of my 1.35 games
>Hess winning the HRE in 80% of my games
>Ottos never turning Mamluks into an Eyelet
>Expand Empire CB
>Countries not joining the HRE despite meeting requirements
>Privateer exploit
>Nevers in that it doesn't count being a vassal of France for the Angevi missions
>AI going into debt
>Post 1600 performance - when you access the Macrobuilder or Trade screen it pretty much reduces the game to 5fps
>End Game peace deals. Same thing, i've had multiple CtDs when I tried to peace out a great power in 1750, mainly due to provinces.

Not that the game is unplayable, but it's worse than it was at the end of 1.34
I think Ottomans never turning the Mamluks into an eyalet is intended by the devs, the AI will never wait several years in a war when they're totally winning

I Remember playing as France and went for HRE conquest path. After conquest of Trier/Swabia I realized I need 40 provinces in Germany be French culture and each province in Swabia is 40 dev (same situation for Switzerland region). So it's 200+ dip points and 10+ years for one province...

• 1Like
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
A whole month you can't fix a f* game breaking bug, that will ruin every EoC campaign (unless you don't do the EoC missions) and thus one of the "selling points" - reworked EoC is now not a thing. (Actually 2, if we also count Ming mission tree)
Still no release date for patch. "Probably next month" it can be 30 June. It seems only one person are currently fixing AND TESTING all the bugs.

Ming was the first nation I played in 1.35. I didn't push the mandate button for a long time, because it was a trap. Took Humanist and got the sweet, sweet External Perfectionism CB (almost like Deus Vult). Kinda a chill game, and once the nation was stable, pressed the mandate button all the time for the entire mission tree. I didn't care. I had so many tributaries (including Russia) that the mandate growth was impressive. I also learned that I could buy maps from my tributaries, which made expansion extremely easy.

MIng_Copium_Achievement.png

• 1Like
Reactions: