• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Europa Universalis IV - Development Diary 23rd of May 2023 - 1.35.3 known issues and the road to 1.35.4

Hello everyone! I’m Kuba, Release Engineer & Interim QA Coordinator here at Paradox Tinto and today I’d like to talk about some known issues and our plan for upcoming weeks.

After making 1.35.2 and following the hotfix, we addressed most of the pressing issues that could negatively impact your gameplay and could be prepared and tested in the time we had available. That being said, we are not yet done with improvements and bug fixing, as there are issues that are brought up by the community in the forums as well as discovered by our internal testing. The following list is the Known Issues to let you know that we are actively working on fixing these.

1. Issues regarding the canals, that that makes them disappear or not appear at all
  2. Issues with missing Expand Empire Casus Belli
  3. Further fixes for the events of the Chinese floods
  4. Issues related to Taking land in war result in losing all crownland

Also, we are preparing for other less prominent issues, which are nevertheless important to us. Some examples would be:

1. France has access to Strong Duchies after integrating all their Appanages
  2. Issues with Land of the Christian Sun reform for Republic / Theocratic Japan
  3. Siam’s Ideas Rebalance
  4. Fixes in the game translations
  5. Around 100 more upcoming bug fixes like those!

Those examples were chosen to give you an idea of what kind of issues we will be fixing in this patch as well. As you probably noticed I mentioned weeks instead of days, which means the next patch which will be 1.35.4 will come out probably next month, as we want to properly test all changes, especially the balance changes, so we need more time to do it.

We will be monitoring all the bug reports and social media for other issues as well to ensure that our focus is on the bugs that are annoying our community the most. While I cannot promise any particular fix at this point, we will attempt to prioritize and fix as many as we can.

This also means that we won't be posting new development diaries soon, but we will keep the communication open to keep you all informed of our intentions and plans.

• 67Like
  • 3Haha
Reactions:
In my opinion the major problem is that when the disaster triggers, if the player for some reason didn't manage to "expand enough" in the rise of the Ottomans period, gets stuck with an almost impossible objective (I couldn't imagine, for example, how to end the "Eyalets rebellion" if the necessary lands have not all been conquered). I'm sure competitive gamers can overcome that, but casual players or the IA I'm not sure and that would make the Ottomans stuck in and endless disaster. Of course after X years the disaster could end by itself or the condition can be make easier over time.
I see your point, maybe a rework on the conditions to end the disaster could solve that, especially about the 40 provinces in Persia, but other than that I find it okay

Reactions:
This is a bit off topic of bugs, but I think a lot of people have issues with (recent and past) nations color changes. Color of a country is in the country file that editing disables ironman. This is just a visual change so this is weird that it changes the check sum.

Maybe that would be a good idea to add option to mod country color without affecting ironman?

Imagine everyone could have Fars in their favourite color
It would also be very nice if the 'Keep Old Colour' decision was allowed for all formables and not just Japan. Imagine... Pink Germany...

• 3Like
Reactions:
I see your point, maybe a rework on the conditions to end the disaster could solve that, especially about the 40 provinces in Persia, but other than that I find it okay
Yes I agree on that. I'd also add that if a player defeats the eyalets rebellion (Hungary and/or Egypt or other big eyalets rising up), the game should at least remove for some years the "10% or less liberty desire" requirement.

I´d like to thank you all for all your opinions and reports, even if I don´t reply directly to your post doesn´t mean it´s ignored. Sometimes I push things directly to our content designers, they are also checking forums to ensure the focus is on the important parts of the game.

• 12Like
Reactions:
I'm not sure when AI Austria started to not care about being elected emperor, but it makes no sense. Austria doesn't even bother to ally electors anymore. The AI needs to be taught that being emperor is crucial to Austria's position in the game and that being re-elected should be a top priority.

• 3Like
Reactions:
Yes I agree on that. I'd also add that if a player defeats the eyalets rebellion (Hungary and/or Egypt or other big eyalets rising up), the game should at least remove for some years the "10% or less liberty desire" requirement.
Maybe a condition "has won a war against X eyalet in the last 10 years" just like the condition "has won a war against Venice in the last 25 years" for the branch of the Ottoman mission tree concerning trade and relations with Venice

Reactions:
I don't know if it is on the list of things to fix but in case it isn't I hope that it would end up in there:

I noticed a rather weird thing while playing Japan. Japanese mission The Balance of Power which grants you special tier 1 government reform in theory requires you to either have 100 absolutism to unlock a Supreme Shogunate reform OR 6 privilages granted to each estate to unlock a Divine Empire reform. As far as I know mission was supposed to unlock only one of the reforms depending on how you complete the mission

BUT

When I completed the mission by granting privilages to get the Divine Empire reform it unlocked both of them depite the fact that I did not have 100 absolutism (in fact I didn't have any absolutism because It was still Age of Reformation). Also, I didn't find out that Divine Empire reform required to keep the priviliges granted after completing the mission until I revoked a privilage from one of the estates so they had <6 and the reform got automatically abolished, thankfully I was able to reestablish it after granting the privilages again. The Supreme Shogunate reform however was still available regardless of how much absolutism I had.

Moreover, when the Divine Empire was granted the Supreme Shogunate reform was still visible and available to switch to but when the Supreme Shogunate was granted the Divine Empire reform became unvisible until I changed from Supreme Shogunate to any other tier 1 reform.

I understand that it is a rather specific situation (all the refom switching and all) but I started testing things out when I noticed a problem coz' the game wasn't on ironman. The mission should deffinitely unlock only one of the reforms and I don't think it was intentional that Divine Empire gets abolished if you drop below 6 privilages for any of the estates (it can even happen accidentaly if you pay off estate loans or lose access to trade good you granted monopoly on).

P.S.
There is also other problem with Japan missions I noticed. The mission Port of Dejima does not appear even if it should.

• 1Like
Reactions:
For the love of Parliament, please, make an instrument for quick appointment of seats in provinces. I just got Parliament in Russian Empire and have to manually click, like, 100+ provinces to appoint them? Oh come on!

For the love of Parliament, please, make an instrument for quick appointment of seats in provinces. I just got Parliament in Russian Empire and have to manually click, like, 100+ provinces to appoint them? Oh come on!
Apparently you also lose absolutism if you do it manually, so in my case I just let them assign automatically. You even sometimes get an event that assigns them without losing absolutism

Apparently you also lose absolutism if you do it manually, so in my case I just let them assign automatically. You even sometimes get an event that assigns them without losing absolutism
Yeah but sometimes I like to play "I love the Republic, I love the Democracy" type of games, so losing absolutism is fine by me.
But man, assigning provinces by yourself is just painful sometimes.
Hope we'll get some kind of "macro seats" menu like we already have for building or recruiting.

I don't know if it is on the list of things to fix but in case it isn't I hope that it would end up in there:

I noticed a rather weird thing while playing Japan. Japanese mission The Balance of Power which grants you special tier 1 government reform in theory requires you to either have 100 absolutism to unlock a Supreme Shogunate reform OR 6 privilages granted to each estate to unlock a Divine Empire reform. As far as I know mission was supposed to unlock only one of the reforms depending on how you complete the mission

BUT

When I completed the mission by granting privilages to get the Divine Empire reform it unlocked both of them depite the fact that I did not have 100 absolutism (in fact I didn't have any absolutism because It was still Age of Reformation). Also, I didn't find out that Divine Empire reform required to keep the priviliges granted after completing the mission until I revoked a privilage from one of the estates so they had <6 and the reform got automatically abolished, thankfully I was able to reestablish it after granting the privilages again. The Supreme Shogunate reform however was still available regardless of how much absolutism I had.

Moreover, when the Divine Empire was granted the Supreme Shogunate reform was still visible and available to switch to but when the Supreme Shogunate was granted the Divine Empire reform became unvisible until I changed from Supreme Shogunate to any other tier 1 reform.

I understand that it is a rather specific situation (all the refom switching and all) but I started testing things out when I noticed a problem coz' the game wasn't on ironman. The mission should deffinitely unlock only one of the reforms and I don't think it was intentional that Divine Empire gets abolished if you drop below 6 privilages for any of the estates (it can even happen accidentaly if you pay off estate loans or lose access to trade good you granted monopoly on).

P.S.
There is also other problem with Japan missions I noticed. The mission Port of Dejima does not appear even if it should.
it´s more to acknowledge most vocal issues, The list of fixes we will do is quite extensive. I don´t want to provide more details as those fixes are still to be tested so we might revert some if they cause more issues than they fix. I will let our Content Designer responsible for Japan be aware of this post, but I already saw some fixes prepared on our internal list
Good idea, we will look into it in the future, but not for this patch

• 8Like
Reactions:
Good idea, we will look into it in the future, but not for this patch
Could you please pass it on for the content designers to review the color of certain Trade Nodes?

For example Malacca is almost the same color as its neighbor Siam, making it hard to tell them apart. Also Yumen and Beijing, but to a lesser extent.

Edit: I edited out what could possibly be the more controversial opinion in my comment, so it has more of a chance of being recognized. I hope it has become neutral enough that nobody would have objections to being able to tell trade nodes apart from each other.

Last edited:
Reactions:
It would be cool if SEA had a good tag to form. Even if it was all of the region. Them having Siam was like India's Mughals or China's Yuan.
Siam is a good formable.
Malaya is a good formable.
Nusantara is really just a name change instead of a true tag-switch, but everyone in SE Asia can do it.
Australia is a good formable, but its progenitors are painful to play.
Hawaii as a formable isn't anything special...
But if you form Alaska you'll be a monster.
Not played as Zealandia yet, but it has promise.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I’m not sure but I think you have it the other way around, you lose absolutism if you let them assign automatically, but if you do it manually you won’t lose any absolutism

I will let our Content Designer responsible for Japan be aware of this post, but I already saw some fixes prepared on our internal list
Could you please also ask them to make it so when you form Japan the daimyo mission trees get extended with the Japanese ones instead of getting a whole new set of missions and losing some important missions such as conquering Korea ? It doesn’t make much historical and gameplay sense to lose interest in Korea after you’ve united Japan.

The second issue is with one of the British missions, the Mediterranean authority. It requires you to own a few island provinces in the Mediterranean but where as previously the Rule Britannia mission tree would give you claims on them, now you don’t get any claims on them from anywhere, making it a very tricky situation to find a cb on ottomans or mamluks (where you’re very unlikely to border them) so you can declare war on them just for taking Cyprus so you can complete the mission.
Even the rewards for this mission are very weird, it gives you claims on these areas AFTER you’ve already conquered half of them (and as I mentioned before getting the claims themselves are the hardest part) and these areas are also likely not very relevant to any player who has taken the Great Britain path as you’re more interested in colonising the new world and making English Chanel the richest trade node, so why would you want to dominate trade in the Mediterranean?
Wouldn’t it make more sense for rewards to instead give shipyards/naval batteries in these provinces to highlight them as strategic naval bases and give claims on northern Egypt ? The same way that it used to work in rule Britannia ?

It feels like a few very good missions from Rule Britannia were mashed together to create just one mission and ruined in the process.

• 3Like
Reactions:
Maybe take a closer look at eyelets? Making the Papal States an eyelet by 1460 through peaceful means is ... well ... hilarious and dysfunctional.