• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

EUIV - Development Diary - 17th of March 2020

Good morning! As you may have heard, the Paradox office has shut down temporarily due to Coronavirus concerns; we’re all continuing to work from home though, and you’ll be pleased to hear that thus far the team remains in good health. If all goes as planned we should be able to continue releasing dev diaries as normal.

Today I’ll be covering the Papal and Italian mission trees. It’s been a while since we had a content-focused dev diary, and there’s still quite a lot we haven’t covered. Emperor and the 1.30 patch have such an immense wealth of content that we almost definitely won’t be able to talk about it all before release. With that in mind, here’s a list of mission trees we’ve created over the last year or so:

Mission trees available with the Emperor expansion:
  • Austria
  • Bavaria/Bavarian minors
  • Bohemia
  • Burgundy
  • Netherlands/Dutch and Flemish minors
  • Crusader States
  • Florence/Tuscany
  • France
  • Genoa
  • Germany/HRE (several unique missions each)
  • Lubeck
  • Hungary
  • Italy
  • Milan
  • Naples
  • Papal States
  • Provence
  • Brandenburg/Prussia
  • Savoy/Sardinia-Piedmont
  • Saxony
  • Serbia
  • Switzerland
  • Venice
Mission trees available to all players:
  • Albania
  • Brittany
  • Bulgaria
  • Croatia/Ragusa/Dalmatia
  • Dithmarschen
  • Elector Bishops
  • Franconia/Franconian minors
  • French Duchies
  • Hannover/Hannoverian minors
  • Italian minors
  • Palatinate
  • Pomerania
  • Austrian Minors
  • Swabia/Swabian minors
  • Westphalia/Westphalian minors

Improving Catholic and Papal gameplay has been one of our core priorities during the development of Emperor, so it’s only fitting that the Papal States get a suitably comprehensive mission tree to boot. I won’t attempt to describe the requirements and rewards for every mission, so I’ll just focus on the parts I think are especially interesting.

pope_1.png

Starting from the Patrimony of St. Peter, the Holy Father is encouraged to embark on a campaign of conquest across the Italian peninsula. Besides uniting Italy under the rightful patrimony of the Pope being a noble goal in and of itself, this will also help you meet the requirements for the Kingdom of God decision.

Among the first missions the Papal States can pursue is Form the Swiss Guard. To achieve this the Pope must either have very good relations with Switzerland or else directly own a province in Switzerland itself.

swiss guard.png

The Swiss Guard is a unique mercenary company available only to the Papal States through the completion of this mission. They are very cheap to maintain, cheaper even than your normal Infantry regiments at base maintenance, and highly disciplined. They are however a very small Company, so while they will provide a significant edge in the early game they will not scale as well as other Companies later into your campaign.

Pursuing this branch of the mission tree will eventually get you to End the Schism. Besides completing previous missions in the branch, the owners of Constantinople and Moscow must both be Catholic. Completing this mission will give every remaining Orthodox country an important choice to make:

schism.png

Several of the missions for the Papal States give bonuses not only to the Pope himself but also to other Catholics. The Holy League for instance gives mercenary bonuses to the Pope’s allies, while Eastern Catholicization gives Lithuania a bonus to their Missionaries. The most interesting application of this idea is in the Missions to China and Japan. Using whatever means the Pope deems necessary, several provinces in China/Japan must be owned by a Catholic country to complete these missions of evangelism. Upon completing the mission, not only will relevant countries receive events giving them an opportunity to embrace Catholicism, but all provinces in China owned by a Catholic but not yet Catholic themselves will become easier to convert, while provinces already converted will receive reduced development cost.

Moving on, here’s the mission tree for a united Italy:

italy.png

As you can probably tell from some of the mission names, this mission tree has a somewhat Roman theme. Completing these missions will set you well on your way to restoring the Roman Empire and, therefore, Italy’s rightful place in the world.

The leftmost branch of the tree deals with bringing prosperity and advancement to Italy itself. Completing the Prosperity for all mission grants a temporary development cost modifier which will be useful in completing the Develop the South mission, which requires at least 5 provinces in southern Italy to have at least 25 development.

The main part of the mission tree encourages you to embark on a widespread campaign of conquest across the Mediterranean. A new Caesar must launch a new invasion of Gaul by crossing the Alps and defeating whatever barbarians have made it their home in the absence of proper Roman order. The so-called Holy Roman Empire must also be dealt with, either by dismantling it as a false pretender to the mantle of Rome or by seizing its crown for yourself. With the matter of Empire settled, it will be time to consider invasions of Iberia, the Balkans, and Anatolia. Completing this branch of the mission tree will reward you with 10% more manpower and land forcelimit for the rest of the game.

A united Italy must have a great navy, both to repel invasion from the sea and to launch invasions of its own. The Barbary Pirates inhabit the lan

d which was once Carthage, and later the Roman province of Africa. Once again it aligns itself against Italian interests, and must be annexed to ensure the safety of your trade routes. Before taking the fight onward to Egypt, it would be wise to secure an ally in Ethiopia, for the Kingdom of Prester John would surely aid your efforts. Jerusalem is the ultimate goal of this campaign, and once secured its religion will immediately be restored to your faith.

On the topic of Italy, we’ve added some new content about the Italian Wars:

italianwars.png

The Italian Wars can begin at any point during the Age of Discovery if an Italian country is the war leader (on either side) against a major Christian power - most likely France or Austria. Lasting for around 50 years, special Mercenary Companies such as the Tuscan Free Company will become available. Participants in the Italian Wars receive -10% mercenary cost and +5% mercenary discipline while they remain in an applicable war.

That’s all from me today. Next week Johan will reveal the major mechanical changes we’ve made to Catholicism, so come back next week to read all about it.

Last edited:
  • 2Love
Reactions:
It all looks cool but my immediate thoughts are:
  • Does the AI actually convert now? Have the Centres of Reformation been reduced in potency so they don't fucking eat up all of Europe but Iberia in seconds? Do you as the Papal States have any power to send missionaries or affect conversion in other countries bar raw military power?
  • Why did you put Mussolini in charge of writing the Italian mission tree and how did you trick him into writing a mission for befriending Ethiopia? It's a little bit annoying that all the beauties and fantastic developments of Rennaisance Italy are ignored in favour of... a Roman Empire reference. I mean the Italians at the time absolutely used terms such as barbarian and thought of Rome as their predecessors but used terms such as Hispania, Carthago and Gaul they most certainly did not.
  • Will Scandinavia be made less anemic in another update? Hell forget about Scandinavia, what about the Middle East. The Ottoman Empire which a): actually existed b): dominated the entire eastern Mediterranean and c): is supposed to be one of the main focus nations of EU4 now has a smaller and more anemic focus tree than Italy, a country that would not exist until after EU4's timeline is over. Safavid Iran does not even have a mission tree, events such as the massive conquests of Nader Shah are completely ignored, an empire that could smash around Mughals, Russians and the Ottomans (well until it couldn't and got its shit pushed in but that's how it be sometimes) has less focus than German minors.

Reactions:
Italian NIs need updating badly, I hear lots of people say they're good, don't know where that got that idea from.
For single player they are awesome, but they are quite the opposite for MP:

• Italy: +15% Infantry CA
  • Florence: +5% discipline
  • Milan: +10% infantry CA
  • Austria: +10% land morale, +3% (lol) discipline
  • France: 20%(!!!) land morale, +5% discipline
  • Burgundy: +10% land morale, +5% discipline
  • Spain: +15% land morale, +5% discipline, +1 artillery fire
  • Hanover (formable): +5% discipline, +10% fire damage
  • Brandenburg/Prussia: +20% ICA, +20% land morale, +5% discipline, +0.5AT, -1 AT decay
  • Ottomans: 5% discipline, +33% land FL, Janissaries and none cares about cavalry
Italy is in big poo with these laughable military modifiers.

Reactions:
For single player they are awesome, but they are quite the opposite for MP:
Italy is in big poo with these laughable military modifiers.
I seriously hope they don't change the Italian ideas. The vast majority of the playerbase does not play in MP games and therefore does not need every nation to have a bunch of military modifiers for them to list out loud after winning a battle thanks to taking Innovative + Economic + Quality for the 400th time in a row.

Reactions:
useless +50% Improved Relations
Do you really play SP? That is Italy's second strongest idea after CCR. Your Aggressive Expansion decays 1.5x faster, so expansion into North Africa or the Middle East (or Europe, where the mission tree guides) is done much easier.
just want Italy to at least be able to put up a fight and not have to resort to Russian blob tactics of throwing manpower
Both France and Spain throw manpower even with those military ideas, Italy doing the same is not "having to resort to" but only doing the normal thing, none of the three are Prussia who can get away with having actual elite troops.
I think Italy as playing tall with elite troops,
You are thinking too modern of Italy there. If anything i expect half Italy's force to be mercenary corps given their development and trade node.

Last edited:
Reactions:
Do you really play SP? That is Italy's second strongest idea after CCR. Your Aggressive Expansion decays 1.5x faster, so expansion into North Africa or the Middle East (or Europe, where the mission tree guides) is done much easier.

Both France and Spain throw manpower even with those military ideas, Italy doing the same is not "having to resort to" but only doing the normal thing, none of the three are Prussia who can get away with having actual elite troops.

You are thinking too modern of Italy there. If anything i expect half Italy's force to be mercenary corps given their development and trade node.

I've never played a minute of EU IV MP, I don't have the time, don't have the friends, the groups and frankly playing 50 years of a match then having it end by going public doesn't interest me.

+50% Improve Relations is good, but as someone who doesn't rush for WC, I don't mind waiting a bit longer for wars and I'll expand somewhere else, considering that Italy being in the centre of the Mediterrenanean it has multiple areas it can go for expansion. So maybe my choice of words of useless isn't right but it's not a great idea to have, it's good, not great.

Yeah they throw manpower, everyone does, I meant the fact that even Russia has multiple military bonuses yet they are ridiculed for troop quality, and I'm not talking about the Soviet Union during the early days of Operation Barborossa so don't go there. I just don't see why Italy, who has a history of military conflicts, has to have +15% Infantry Combat Ability, which is a tiny upgrade over one of England's Traditions that some say is too weak, and have a +33% National Manpower Modifier. Russia has the same manpower bonus, +10% Artillery Combat Ability, +5% Morale of Armies, -10% Fire Damage Received and +50% Land Force Limit Modifier. Even Ireland is better on the military front with +10% Morale of Armies, +5% Discipline and -10% Shock Damage Received. Again, not asking for Prussian troops, asking for troops that can at least beat the Austrians if we're going off of National Idea bonuses.

I don't think we should ignore the military history of a region because the people that fought was mercenaries, that's still people who live in the country fighting constantly, this is the region that the Roman Empire rose from, the region where the Etruscans were a military people as well as the Samnites in the south, getting a petty +15% ICA is nothing compared to other European majors, a major shouldn't have to rely on mercenaries to win wars. Not saying they shouldn't use them, they shouldn't have to rely on flooding their opponents with manpower and mercenary manpower.

If you want Italy to keep the +50% Improved Relations, why not merge the -10% Stability Cost Modifier with the +1 Yearly Prestige and give them a Morale boost or whatever, do more casualties in the fire phase, take less in the fire phase, I'm not an expert on what specialty would work best for Italy but give them something more then just a little boost to infantry performance.

Reactions:
Yeah they throw manpower, everyone does, I meant the fact that even Russia has multiple military bonuses yet they are ridiculed for troop quality, and I'm not talking about the Soviet Union during the early days of Operation Barborossa so don't go there. I just don't see why Italy, who has a history of military conflicts, has to have +15% Infantry Combat Ability, which is a tiny upgrade over one of England's Traditions that some say is too weak, and have a +33% National Manpower Modifier. Russia has the same manpower bonus, +10% Artillery Combat Ability, +5% Morale of Armies, -10% Fire Damage Received and +50% Land Force Limit Modifier. Even Ireland is better on the military front with +10% Morale of Armies, +5% Discipline and -10% Shock Damage Received. Again, not asking for Prussian troops, asking for troops that can at least beat the Austrians if we're going off of National Idea bonuses.

Russia has pretty frightening army quality, especially in lategame:
+10% Artillery CA is already a unique bonus
-10% fire damage received is a huge bonus after MIL-16 tech
+5% land morale and +0.25 AT are quite handy

+5% discipline from Orthodoxy
+10% fire damage from their Streltsy.

Combine +10% ACA, + 10% fire damage from infantry and -10% fire damage received, and you almost have +10% discipline (not really, but kinda close). Even without Russian quantity these ideas are quite good (way above average). However with all their quantity bonuses, government reforms, events and missions Russia actually has top-1 army.

Reactions:
These are some advanced maffs, but they are probably very wrong, sadly
Nothing advanced here,

1. Assuming that you'll magically have streltsy in all of your army is ridiculous
You don't need to have 100% inf as streltsy. Having around 35% of your total infantry is usually enough already for your vanguard strike armies.
2. Counting 5% disci from ortho is pointless. Protestants get 2.5% disc and 5% morale which have comparable strength; hindus get +5% disc; shinto gets +10% morale. Russia is no uniquehere
It kinda is because +5% discipline is considerably better in late game than +10% land morale exactly the same way as +2.5% discipline is better than +5% land morale.
3. Yes, +5% morale and +0.25 AT are handy but also miniscule as fuck
4. -10% fire damage received is never a huge bonus, at very best it's "handy"
5. 10% arti ACA extremely rarely is more powerful than 10% ICA

trying to somehow make a case for Russia having high quality is ridiculous
These ideas alone make Russian army quality slightly better than average (which is something like +5% discipline with +10% ICA). If you add streltsy and orthodoxy into equation, Russian quality becomes considerably better than average. But what makes Russian ideas really unique is the synergy between orthodox discipline, -10% fire damage received + and massive quantity bonuses that streltsy regiments heavily rely on. For example if Russia somehow finds itself fighting France, their armies quality disparity won't be huge: France will definitely have way more morale, but Russia will deal more casualties and will have far superior numbers.

Reactions:
You know what I actually hate most about the gameplay.
The fact that when an ally goes to war, you often end up with nothing but a bit of cash.

Imo there should be an option to say: "i;ll join the war if I receive some land" ( I mean the AI can do it)
Also if it's an offensive war, you should be able to say "no i wont join war if they dont have 10 favors on you".

Seems a bit unfair that you have to go to ally wars, to keep them as an ally, but end up losing money and manpower with it.
Not gaining even 1 or 2 provinces

(I'm aware that this is not discussed in the dev diary, and it's about another topic, but i have not seen this brought up anywhere. Perhaps I'm the only one finding this mechanic annoying)

Let me know your thoughts.

Reactions:
Oh look, Paradox giving Italy A ROMAN PATH yet again... How annoying

Italy should be focused exclusively on their native or historically-irredentist provinces, not go and conquer France or "Gallia" as romanboos call it

Reactions:
Italy tried to conquer southern France in Ww2 even after vichy France was a thing, so

They only took limited parts that Italy had legitimate claim to, they only took more, and it was a modest amount, after Case Anton. One of my problems with the Italian mission tree is it's "Go conquer an entire region, it'll take you 2-4 wars, have fun". There doesn't seem to be any, "Secure Provence" or "Claiming Occitania" or "The Western Isles". We get missions of "Conuqer France", "Conquer Anatolia" and "Conquer Iberia", there's no incremental build up to securing a region like many other trees have, no specific provinces to go for, no aim besides "Go take all of this and make Rome", which while yes Rome still had much of a legacy and influence on many countries and many people claimed to be the successor of Rome, it'd be nice if Italy focused on Italy WITH the option to go for Rome, not make it the primary goal. It'd be like forming Germany then you get a mission tree to make the Holy Roman Empire, if I wanted to make the Holy Roman Empire united I'd go for that path, don't force me down it as something else. The main point I'm trying to make is there seems to be no specific thought into a tree. Anyone can go "Oh yeah Italian tree, uhhhh, go conquer all the regions and make Rome again", there's no unique missions, no diplomatic alliances with former Roman lands like befriending the French or Iberians. Besides, did we really need a mission tree for something so many already aim to do, this will do nothing besides speeding up the process for a Roman Empire being formed because you get the rewards now for doing it.

Reactions:
[...]

Mission trees available with the Emperor expansion:
  • Austria
  • Bavaria/Bavarian minors
  • Bohemia
  • Burgundy
  • Netherlands/Dutch and Flemish minors
  • Crusader States
  • Florence/Tuscany
  • France
  • Genoa
  • Germany/HRE (several unique missions each)
  • Lubeck
  • Hungary
  • Italy
  • Milan
  • Naples
  • Papal States
  • Provence
  • Brandenburg/Prussia
  • Savoy/Sardinia-Piedmont
  • Saxony
  • Serbia
  • Switzerland
  • Venice
Mission trees available to all players:
  • Albania
  • Brittany
  • Bulgaria
  • Croatia/Ragusa/Dalmatia
  • Dithmarschen
  • Elector Bishops
  • Franconia/Franconian minors
  • French Duchies
  • Hannover/Hannoverian minors
  • Italian minors
  • Palatinate
  • Pomerania
  • Austrian Minors
  • Swabia/Swabian minors
  • Westphalia/Westphalian minors

[...]

Is Oldenburg still blacklisted because of the Stockholm Bloodbath?

Reactions:
I thought I remembered one of the dev diaries for 1.30 describing how France would be changed, including French-only dynamics for their duchy/kingship system. Did I dream that?

I believe France is getting 5 vassals and a special estate privilege giving them +3 dip slots, but I believe that is it for specific mechanics (there might be some missions, but I'm not sure).

Reactions:
Reactions:
Well swedish highschools are closing from tomorrow release the dlc so we can enjoy eu4 fully at home,
But for real hope all at paradox are ok and wash your godamn hands dont want the people making my favorite games sick.

Bless you paradox employers .