• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

EU4 - Development Diary - 24th of March 2020

Hi and Welcome to yet another Europa Universalis Development Diary!

We talked a little bit about what is happening to the Catholic Faith in a development diary back in August 2019. Let's delve into that at first, before we talk about completely new features, and remember. All of this is part of the Emperor Expansion.

Curia Coffers
First of all, the Curia has its own pool of money, the Curia Coffers, which is accumulated each month from contributions from each catholic country. The contribution depends on the development controlled by the Clergy estate in each country. Catholic Nations can also Buy Indulgence to increase the Curia Coffers and

The Curia Coffers can then be spent on the following.
  • Call the Ecumenical Council
  • Assign Cardinals
  • Investigate Heresy
  • Papal Bulls
  • Council of Trent Actions.
Ecumenical Council
The Ecumenical Council is a way for the Papal Controller to siphon their own money into the Curia Coffers to increase their influence to become the next Papal Controller.

Cardinals
Assigning Cardinals is a new Diplomatic Action that Curia Controller can do. By spending an amount of the Curia Coffers the target nation will gain a Cardinal. The Curia Controller gains influence towards becoming the controller at the next papal election, and the target nation increases their opinion of the Curia Controller.

The Pope can also spend their own money to Appoint a Cardinal from one of their own provinces, if any of them lack a Cardinal. This increases Corruption by 5%, but sometimes it is needed.

Of course there will be Cardinals appointed automatically each year as before.
eu4_4.png

Investigate Heresy
Investigate Heresy is an action where the Papal Controller can spend money from the Curia Coffers to reduce the Reform Desire by 5%, while making Reform Desire grow 10% faster in the future. This is a way to delay the Reformation if you so desire.

Golden Bulls
For each Pope, the Curia Controller can pick one new Golden Bull, which will define that Pope’s life. This of course cost money from the Curia Coffers, and there are six different Golden Bulls to pick from. What is interesting with these Golden Bulls, is the fact that they affect ALL catholic nations.

Apostolicae Servitutis
-50% Curia Power Cost (The old Catholic Ones)

Christian Pictas

-5% Development Cost
+1 Tolerance of Heretics

Dei Gratia Rex

+0.5 Yearly Absolutism
-2 Unrest in Catholic Provinces
-25% Drill Decay

Illius Qui Se Pro Divini

Enabled Crusades after the Age limit!

Immensa Aeterni Dei

-10% Institution Embracement cost
+25% Institution Spread
Cardinals will spread institution if the institution has been embraced in a province of another Cardinal or the capital of the Curia(Rome).

Libertas Ecclesiae:

+20% Imperial Authority Growth
+15 Imperial Reform Approval by Catholic Princes
Available if Emperor & Catholic is Official Religion of the Empire

Council of Trent
A few decades after the Reformation has started to ravage Europe, there will be something called The Council of Trent that will last about 50 years at maximum, or until the Papal Controller has picked four different changes to the Church.

When the Council is active, rulers of Catholic Nations can set their position as either Harsh or Conciliatory. At default all nations are neutral, and at every new ruler in your nation you get the opportunity to change your position.

Neutral Position
-33% Resistance to Reformation Centers.

Harsh Position
-20 Opinion of Heretics
+25% Resistance to Reformation Centers
+2% Missionary Strength
-25% Institution Spread

Conciliatory Position
+10 Opinion of Heretics
+25% Improve Relations
-5% Heretic Missionary Strength

The Curia Controller is the one that picks the concessions, and they are quite costly, costing 2000 gold from the Curia Coffers, which is reduced by up to 1500 depending how many Cardinals that are from Countries supporting the stance taken in the concession. And you can only take one concession in each pair, and the effect is applied to all Catholic nations. The Harsh ones all add -20 opinion of heretics to all Catholic countries, and Conciliatory adds +10 opinion, so the Papal Controller can really control how fractured Christianity will be during the Council.

First Concession
Heresy Trials (Harsh) +1% Heretic Missionary Strength
Secret Confessions (Conciliatory) +2 Tolerance of Heretics

Second Concession
Roman Catechism (Harsh) +10% True Faith Institution Spread
Non-Latin Bible (Conciliatory) +5% Institution Spread

Third Concession
Soldiers of Christ (Harsh) +10% Manpower in True Faith
Rescinding Celibacy (Conciliatory) +5% Manpower

Fourth Concession
Catholic Mysticism (Harsh) -10% Warscore Cost vs Other Religions
Sola Fide (Conciliatory) -20% Curia Power Cost
eu4_5.png

Hope you enjoyed this short but detailed Development diary, and next week we’ll talk more about the Imperial Diet.

• 4Like
Reactions:
These reworked Curia mechanics certainly make staying Catholic more appealing. I think the Council of Trent is a good way to keep Catholicism relevant post-reformation.

Last edited:
this looks great! A lot of different scenarios are possible with that mechanic.

@Johan are there events / eventchains that support the different parts of the mechanics?

And will there be different notifications for the nations to get an information if something happend or was picked with the bulls/ council?

Edit:
And an alert would be perfect if iam the curia controller and have not yet picked a golden bull.
Same thing is for an alert for the information that I can pick a side for the council as player (and as the curia controller that its now possible to pick a choice of the 2) - so that I don't have to check every time.
Also this would be very important for new players in my opinion to make it more obivious that there are this options as they would easy miss that little buttons.

@Johan are there events / eventchains that support the different parts of the mechanics?
Yes

And will there be different notifications for the nations to get an information if something happend or was picked with the bulls/ council?
Of course, when a papal bull is picked you'll get a notification, or when the council becomes available.

i really wish, that reformation can be prevented PERMANENTELY. Keep reform desire low until 1550 may be...
It would be such good thing for an acheivement.

Reactions:
i really wish, that reformation can be prevented PERMANENTELY. Keep reform desire low until 1550 may be...
It would be such good thing for an acheivement.

I think the Catholic Church felt the same way.

• 1Haha
Reactions:
Does Catholic still retain the -1 Tolerance of Heretics as part of its base "bonuses"? Its currently the only religion with a malus as one of its religious "bonuses" which seems somewhat unfair to an already suffering religion compared to its other options.

Does Catholic still retain the -1 Tolerance of Heretics as part of its base "bonuses"? Its currently the only religion with a malus as one of its religious "bonuses" which seems somewhat unfair to an already suffering religion compared to its other options.

It does still retain that yes. but with the council you get more than enough to compensate :)

Reactions:
Harsh Position
-20 Opinion of Heretics
+2% Missionary Strength
-25% Institution Spread

Conciliatory Position
+10 Opinion of Heretics
+25% Improve Relations
-5% Heretic Missionary Strength
Do they both have +25% resistance or should it be -25% for conciliatory?

Do they both have +25% resistance or should it be -25% for conciliatory?

No that's correct, concillatory means more that you are willing to reform the Catholic faith to address the issues that the Protestant movement has.

Finally, catholics are getting more interesting mechanics. Now I am hyped about playing a Christian Japan run as soon as this comes out. :D

Has there been any changes to how Religious Zeal works? Because a big problem with the Reformation is you want to combat it, but you have to sit still and do nothing for 30 years. I don't see how picking one of three stances to the reformation changes that enforced passivity.

An alert would be perfect if iam the curia controller and have not yet picked a golden bull.
Same thing is for an alert for the information that I can pick a side for the council as player (and as the curia controller that its now possible to pick a choice of the 2) - so that I don't have to check every time.
Also this would be very important for new players in my opinion to make it more obivious that there are this options as they would easy miss that little buttons.

the art looks great btw

Is this the same as the Resistance to Reform Age ability, because that ability has felt lame and counterintuitive, especially when in the late stage you can have it active everywhere and it still affects your provinces.

If you stack it with the Age ability you'll have over 100% resistance to reformation. So maybe that would render your provinces immune to conversion? Can the devs comment on whether this would work?