• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

EU4 - Development Diary - 5th of February 2019

Good morning and welcome to today's EU4 Dev Diary. As many no-doubt noticed, yesterday, patch 1.28.3 went live. This contains hundreds of bug fixes which the team have been hammering away at over the course of January. It, along with other Technical Debt is one of the main focuses of the year and while they're not always so sexy to talk about and show off, they remain important. There will be more fixing to come as we work towards our big end of year expansion.

For those who missed it, you can check the full patch notes in last week's dev diary

This also marks the end of our free trial of Mandate of Heaven. It was exciting to try out such a system, where players could sample a DLC without having to commit to a purchase. In this case, not even needing to purchase a gaming magazine to get your demo disc. Given the very large uptake of the Mandate of Heaven trial, it's no question that we'll continue to do these on a monthly basis. Keep your eyes peeled towards the end of this month for the next Free DLC.

Something else that this patch marks the end of is something that has been requested quite a bit. 1.28.3 is be the last 32-bit version of EUIV, as we are going to upgrade EUIV to 64-bit in the next update. This comes with various advantages, but it also means that EUIV will no longer be supported by 32-bit systems for all platforms: Windows, Mac and Linux. 1.28.3 will be the last playable version of EUIV for 32-bit systems.

With a growing lack of support industry-wide for 32-bit, we have made this rather heavy decision. When we roll out the next update for EUIV, 32-bit users will either have to roll back to 1.28.3, or upgrade their system. We are letting you know this as soon as we can, so that users have the opportunity to upgrade in the coming months. This change will affect the 1.1% of our players who are currently playing EUIV on a 32-bit system.

We'll make further reminders regarding 32-bit support closer to the next update, but this will be months away.

As development continues with a heavy focus on technical debt among other things, it means we won't have any changes in the game to show off for some time, so expect some more light and/or filler dev diaries for a while.

Last edited:
Not sure why people keep repeating this claim for EU5, why EU4 could not live for next 10-20 years? Software went from product to service, so games are nowadays migrating towards this direction. Either with free-to-play for skins and similar (League of Legends) to series of DLC's/extensions like EU4 or dying species of monthly subscriptions. And then technically you have Total War: Warhammer 1 & 2 as different instalments but when you buy 2nd you got all the factions from 1st and there are DLS's on top of that. So why people keep talking about EU5? It's great mystery of the universe to me. I would assume it's holly grail for unhappy customers that see EU5 as finally 'EU4 done right'.

Well, its just my personal side on the argument. However people tend to wish for EU5 due to multitude of reasons, such as feature bloat /features being disconnected from each other. Genuine desire for more HUGE-ish reworks such as pop mechanism including minority/majority religion and cultures. Dynamic trade, Imperator Rome style map. Among other things,

I assume my computer is 64 bit compatible. Is there a simple way of checking?

Control Panel/System and Security/System

Not sure why people keep repeating this claim for EU5, why EU4 could not live for next 10-20 years? Software went from product to service, so games are nowadays migrating towards this direction. Either with free-to-play for skins and similar (League of Legends) to series of DLC's/extensions like EU4 or dying species of monthly subscriptions. And then technically you have Total War: Warhammer 1 & 2 as different instalments but when you buy 2nd you got all the factions from 1st and there are DLS's on top of that. So why people keep talking about EU5? It's great mystery of the universe to me. I would assume it's holly grail for unhappy customers that see EU5 as finally 'EU4 done right'.

CK2 and EU4 were Paradox's first titles to use their current DLC model. And while there's a lot that's good about the way that they do it, I think it's fair to say that there have also been teething problems. There are major gameplay mechanics that are considered mandatory by a lot of players but which are included in DLCs. There are parallel systems that don't interact with each other due to being in separate DLCs, leading to a vastly increased breadth of gameplay, but not as much extra depth as many would have hoped for.

I think that the hope that people have for EU5 is to be able to address some of these problems. If all the current DLC features were rolled into the base game then that would potentially allow the different systems to be more thoroughly integrated allowing for deeper gameplay. It would also allow for some cutting of the fat and dropping the features that they've tried in EU4 that didn't really work, just as they dropped a bunch of features from EU3 when they made EU4. It would also mean that they'd potentially be making a new "game as a service" with the knowledge of how to do so successfully that they've gleaned over the lifetime of CK2 and EU4.

Now, don't get me wrong. Personally, I think that there's still a decent amount of life left in EU4; I'm not among the numbers calling for EU5. But I do see why people are advocating for it.

So am I going to have problems? My system is 64 bit but I only run on 4gb of memory. I have noticed late-game getting worse in terms of memory usage/lag the past few updates but didn't know why. I don't know anything about computers. Will the update mean it routinely has to go over 4gb, and if so, will that make my game crash?

I'm suprised that 1.1% of users still use 32 bit computer.

It's likely mostly people who run the game on laptops with 32-bit systems while travelling. I don't think a lot of people actually game on 32-bit computers as their main platform. 64-bit processors have been around for 15-20 years now.

I assume my computer is 64 bit compatible. Is there a simple way of checking?

Someone else posted how to check. But if your computer is less then 15 years old then the hardware is 99% chance to be 64-bit. Now that doesn't mean that Windows/Mac OS that is installed on it is 64 bit, that's a different piece of the puzzle. Need both at 64 bit to be truly "64 bit".

2nd core use planned for 2029 xD? Don't get me wrong, this change is one of the biggest optimisation changes I've ever seen so far. I am really happy it is going to happen and can't wait to see that juicy boost. However it's 2019 and overall game performance is quite sad. Even with modern day PCs you can't play it as smooth as other games, let's be honest. The game is also not the newest one. There is still much to achieve in performance I think. At some point you will start thinking about EU5, and I bet my house EU4 is not going to run very well even untill the release of the next game. After all these years it almost feels like it is impossible to make this game run better, the only solution being buying faster and faster CPU. It's been 6 years for the game itself not counting development phase, I would love to see something make this beautiful game run smoother. Good luck Paradox and thanks for another positively characterized update!

Funny last time I made remarks about this a few years back people told me that it would never be needed. So it was just a matter of time.

Same thing with multithred. No one ever listened. And now what? 18 core CPUs still can't handle this game at speed 5.
I don't think anyone seriously claims that multithreading wouldn't be an improvement.

The problem is that EU4's cut of the Clausewitz engine very much gives the impression of being made of tentacles and unexpected compulsory serialization.

So am I going to have problems? My system is 64 bit but I only run on 4gb of memory. I have noticed late-game getting worse in terms of memory usage/lag the past few updates but didn't know why. I don't know anything about computers. Will the update mean it routinely has to go over 4gb, and if so, will that make my game crash?
Nothing as drastic as that.
For the player, the main difference is that 64-bit means that the game can use more than 4GiB of RAM if your PC has that much.
If your PC has only 4GiB RAM, than there won't be any real changes for you, and no crashes related to that.
A 32-bit PC with more than 4GiB RAM installed can use only a maximum of 4GiB, however (afaik).

No. If you have a 32bit system, having more than 4GB is useless since the system can't read more than 4GB. With a 64 bit system it can read more than 4GB. Like if you system has only 4GB the game can only use that 4GB since don't have more. It won't crash the game, but you'll the impact of the switch less.

How old is your computer? How can it even run EU4?
I would see people with 32bit Windows 10 maybe once a month. The age of the computer has nothing to do with it.

Why MS even made a 32bit version of Win10 is beyond me.

Well, its just my personal side on the argument. However people tend to wish for EU5 due to multitude of reasons, such as feature bloat /features being disconnected from each other. Genuine desire for more HUGE-ish reworks such as pop mechanism including minority/majority religion and cultures. Dynamic trade, Imperator Rome style map. Among other things.

Considering Vicky 2 with the mod HPM is one of my favourite games, seeing an EU-styled game with a pop mechanism will be amazing. Still waiting for Paradox' version of Half-Life 3 though.

Paradox would probably still want to give minimal support for the 32-bit version of the game for some time but without any feature updates thus only with bug fixes. Thus should leave room for further number changes in the future for that version.

Since there are at least one longstanding bug which are easy to fix still in 1.28.3.

Calling the next version 1.29 is a big mistake from a management position. Would be better to call next version 2.0.

I said this before - but I think I need to repeat it - changing hardware requirement for a already released game should not be done lightly. It can give large backlashes from those who will suffer so giving them some support is always required.