• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

EU4 - Development Diary - 5th of February 2019

Good morning and welcome to today's EU4 Dev Diary. As many no-doubt noticed, yesterday, patch 1.28.3 went live. This contains hundreds of bug fixes which the team have been hammering away at over the course of January. It, along with other Technical Debt is one of the main focuses of the year and while they're not always so sexy to talk about and show off, they remain important. There will be more fixing to come as we work towards our big end of year expansion.

For those who missed it, you can check the full patch notes in last week's dev diary

This also marks the end of our free trial of Mandate of Heaven. It was exciting to try out such a system, where players could sample a DLC without having to commit to a purchase. In this case, not even needing to purchase a gaming magazine to get your demo disc. Given the very large uptake of the Mandate of Heaven trial, it's no question that we'll continue to do these on a monthly basis. Keep your eyes peeled towards the end of this month for the next Free DLC.

Something else that this patch marks the end of is something that has been requested quite a bit. 1.28.3 is be the last 32-bit version of EUIV, as we are going to upgrade EUIV to 64-bit in the next update. This comes with various advantages, but it also means that EUIV will no longer be supported by 32-bit systems for all platforms: Windows, Mac and Linux. 1.28.3 will be the last playable version of EUIV for 32-bit systems.

With a growing lack of support industry-wide for 32-bit, we have made this rather heavy decision. When we roll out the next update for EUIV, 32-bit users will either have to roll back to 1.28.3, or upgrade their system. We are letting you know this as soon as we can, so that users have the opportunity to upgrade in the coming months. This change will affect the 1.1% of our players who are currently playing EUIV on a 32-bit system.

We'll make further reminders regarding 32-bit support closer to the next update, but this will be months away.

As development continues with a heavy focus on technical debt among other things, it means we won't have any changes in the game to show off for some time, so expect some more light and/or filler dev diaries for a while.

Last edited:
Something else that this patch marks the end of is something that has been requested quite a bit. 1.28.3 is be the last 32-bit version of EUIV, as we are going to upgrade EUIV to 64-bit in the next update.

WTF? This is not historically accurate. There were no 64bit chips in the 1444-1821 time interval.:p

WTF? This is not historically accurate. There were no 64bit chips in the 1444-1821 time interval.:p

A 31-bit machine was announced in 1822 by Babbage. So even 32-bit machines was not available.

64bit - that should, hopefully, keep my 8 core, hyper threading, 32MB system busy.

I have gone from 6bit -> 8bit -> 16bit -> 32bit -> 64bit. Notional prize for guessing what and when the 6bit system was.

I have gone from 6bit -> 8bit -> 16bit -> 32bit -> 64bit. Notional prize for guessing what and when the 6bit system was.
I can think of 12 (PDP-8), 18 (PDP-1), and 36-bit (PDP-10) systems without too much difficulty, but 6-bit is more of a challenge...

I can think of 12 (PDP-8), 18 (PDP-1), and 36-bit (PDP-10) systems without too much difficulty, but 6-bit is more of a challenge...

The 6bit was a partial error, it actually was a 24bit word with 4 by 6bit characters - NO LOWER CASE!!

Tis the end of an era. Alas, I must bid ye a bittersweet farewell, Clippy.

Honestly though, I see this as a means for the devs to avoid brushing up the game for both 32- and 64-bit at the same time. Many platforms, like Google Play, demand that you provide 64-bit binaries no matter what anyway. We still maintain our older, 32-bit/64-bit software but make all our new "ventures" exclusively 64-bit. I know there's a ton of 32-bit systems still in Eastern Europe -- especially places like Ukraine, Russia and Belarus -- but you really have to dig deep to find people sporting systems like that. And usually, video games are the least of their concerns. Trust me, been there, done that. :p

thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you. no more "it wouldn't even matter if we do 64bit"
Now watch the game become even slower.

Sooo much misinformation about 64 bit and what 64 bit even is.
First let me blow your minds.. There is no 64 bit on windows in the home environment, only 48 bits afaik. Thats 48 bits addressable space. Servers have true 64 bit.
Second- Windows only allows 3.5GB to be addressed. That includes ALL memory including GPU.
Third- 64 bit doesnt mean anything performance wise unless they put more effort into multithreading. 64bit MAY help performance with reduced access to the swap file bit really the gaming running in a 64 bit OS will be allowed a full 3.5GB where as the gaming running on a 32bit OS will only have access to a portion of that 3.5GB and thus when the user upgraded his version of windows to 64 bit that will be where the performance comes from. System wide performance improvement.
forth- 64 does not mean better graphics unless the devs get better graphics.
As for he people using 32 bit. Most or all are probably using 32 bit OS on a 64bit processor. Although the minimum requirements for EUIV is a P4 2.4 which is a 32bit processor if its one from the earlier P4 series. I believe most or all of the P4's that have the 3 digit numbered name are 64 bit? I cant remember, there is so many variations of the p4 its nuts.

I think what everyone is afraid of is that without the memory cap (where did you take that 3.5 cap for Win64 from?) less effort is going to be invesnted in optimization in the future. I am not saying this is going to happen but this is my concern.

I think what everyone is afraid of is that without the memory cap (where did you take that 3.5 cap for Win64 from?) less effort is going to be invesnted in optimization in the future. I am not saying this is going to happen but this is my concern.
The 3.5GB is for windows 32 bit.
Man you got me way too excited by bumping up this thread. Thought it was the new dev diary..
Thats my fault, I didnt even read the date. This is the first I'm seeing this thread or the DD.

I would see people with 32bit Windows 10 maybe once a month. The age of the computer has nothing to do with it.

Why MS even made a 32bit version of Win10 is beyond me.
Going to guess it is a very very simple reason: The average person might have no need for 32 bit....but you are also not using a 20 year or older dinosaur of a program as a central element of doing business. The reason many cash register program interfaces look like someone made the program decades ago is literally because they are decades old and written in programming languages dependent on 16 bits that cant be ran on the 64 bit OSs without major rewriting.

Going to guess it is a very very simple reason: The average person might have no need for 32 bit....but you are also not using a 20 year or older dinosaur of a program as a central element of doing business. The reason many cash register program interfaces look like someone made the program decades ago is literally because they are decades old and written in programming languages dependent on 16 bits that cant be ran on the 64 bit OSs without major rewriting.
So true.
I know of science labs still having Win 95 machines as those machines have very crucial meassurring software.

So true.
I know of science labs still having Win 95 machines as those machines have very crucial meassurring software.
I've had to use many GC-MS systems that still run on Windows NT. Had to find a zipdrive just to get data off of the machine, good times.

But any piece of hardware that someone has remotely serious aspirations to playing video games on, should definitely have been 64bit more than 5 years ago.