• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Once again, a fantastic couple of updates. I don't think that Belgium will be able to resist for very long, but will Britain and France sit idly by? As for the previous update, I think that Lössner will remain at large for a bit longer. However, something tells me that he has not seen the last of the "blond man".

Attacking Belgium in 1936? Preparing the assault of Eben Emael in just two weeks?

Impressive... Best of luck... you'll need it...

Watching for the next step.

PS: I have also Osprey volume.

Chapter I: Part VII

Chapter I: The Hammerblow

Part VII

January 7, 1936

In the grand dining room of the Hôtel de Crillon, Walter Friedmann sat at a moonlit table, awaiting the arrival of his contact at eight. Lying on Paris’ historic Place de la Concorde, the Hôtel de Crillon was an icon of Continental opulence in the style of the old Parisian salons. Dating to the 18th century, the Hôtel de Crillon had for centuries played host to royalty, presidents, industrialists, artists and celebrities. Not seventeen years prior, it had been home to the American delegation to the Paris Peace Conference that drafted the crushing Treaty of Versailles.

As a Special Deputy to Foreign Minister Konstantin von Neurath, Friedmann was fully aware of the building’s significance, and with that in mind, chose it as the setting for this evening’s meeting. von Neurath had dispatched him to Paris to assure the French government of Germany’s peaceful intentions. The French were unwilling, Friedmann had reported to von Neurath the day before, to engage in formal talks. French foreign minister Pierre Etienne Flandin was stirring up a considerable diplomatic flap about German moves into the Rhineland, and Friedmann had to settle for a backchannel meeting with one of his deputies.

von Neurath had wired him earlier in the day that the Führer was prepared to offer a twenty-five year mutual nonaggression pact between Germany, France and Britain in return for a six-point renegotiation of the Treaty of Versailles. Friedmann had been told little of the man the French were sending, and accordingly prepared a number of possible strategies to use in negotiations, depending upon the temperament of the Frenchman.

HDC.jpg

The Hôtel de Crillon, on the Place de la Concorde.

At the far end of the dining room, Friedmann saw the maître d'hôtel gesture in his direction and lead a portly, round-faced man in his direction. When they were an appropriate distance from the table, Friedmann rose and offered the French minister his hand. “Walter Friedmann.”

“Paul Amiot. I hope you are comfortable speaking French, yes?”

“Of course, of course. A pleasure.” The tall, hawk-like maître d'hôtel handed each man a menu, and bowing, withdrew.

Friedmann managed to exchange pleasantries with Amiot until the Nova Scotia smoked salmon wedges arrived.

Carefully weighing his second strategy, Friedmann waited until the Frenchman’s mouth was hopelessly full before launching into his proposition.

“First, as I have just received word from our Führer, Germany is prepared to offer a momentous accord to the other two Principal Powers. Our government is willing to conclude a twenty-five year mutual pact of nonaggression between our three countries.”

Amiot sputtered. “Mmphlnd?”

“Yes, England is the third country.” In the process of swallowing, Amiot nodded vigorously for Friedmann to continue. “In return, Germany would require a renegotiation of the Treaty of Versailles to reflect the restored balance of peace in modern Europe.”

Amiot wiped his mouth with a napkin. “What would this include, Herr Friedmann?”

“First, Germany insists upon the legal recognition of the reoccupation of the Rhineland. Alternatively, the Führer is willing to demilitarize the entire stretch within one hundred kilometers of the border if France pledges to do the same on its own side of the border. Second, all restrictions on German arms beyond those imposed upon France and Britain are to be waived. Alternatively, the Führer shall agree to limit German army strength to 30 divisions if both France and Britain limit themselves to 45 divisions each. Third, the German navy must be allowed up to one hundred fifty thousand gross tons for its combined fleet, provided that France and Britain limit themselves to one hundred fifty thousand and two hundred fifty thousand gross tons respectively. Fourth, Germany shall be fully re-allowed the use of submarines, though the Führer would also be amenable to their complete abolition by each of the three nations. Also --”

Amiot’s lobster had arrived.

“Go ahead, I’m the one talking anyway. As I was saying, Monsieur Amiot, the fifth point is immediate forgiveness of all outstanding war reparations. The Führer was particularly insistent upon this point.”

The French diplomat frowned, but a large chunk of buerre blanc-coated lobster tail stopped his protestations deep in his throat.

“Finally,” Friedmann continued, “Article 231 of the Treaty -- the so-called ‘War Guilt Clause’ -- shall be stricken entirely. ”

“I must protest,” Amiot managed to say. “Your first point would require France to scrap the entire Maginot Line.”

“In the interest of fairness,” Friedmann began, pausing until Amiot was again defenseless for surfeit of asparagus, “Germany must be allowed to fortify its own border just as France has done.”

The stout little Frenchman turned a deep shade of red, but could only move his head in a gesture that was neither shake nor nod.

“Is this satisfactory, then? Minister Flandin will be pleased with you, I am sure.”

Amiot seemed to recover himself, throwing back his mop of limp brown hair and drawing himself upward in his seat. “Herr Friedmann, you are brilliant, you know. But I am afraid that even in the face of the many fair points you presented, my government would be unwilling to conclude such an agreement.”

“Why ever not, Monsieur Amiot?”

“I am afraid, Herr Friedmann, that such an agreement would disrupt the balance of power, endangering the neutral Low Countries.”

“Such is Germany’s commitment to a lasting peace in Europe that we are prepared to offer the solemn guarantee of the Netherlands, Luxembourg and, of course, Belgium.”

Amiot’s eyes widened. “The solemn guarantee of Belgium?”

“Yes. The Führer is most committed to ensuring the perpetual inviolability of Belgium and the Low Countries.”

At this, Amiot pursed his lips, enticed. “Herr Friedmann, I do believe that my government would consider such a proposal with the excep --”

“Good then! If you can arrange for me discreet negotiations with representatives of Great Britain and Belgium, I shall in return convey to the Führer France’s willingness to reach this historic accord.”

That night, Friedmann cabled von Neurath from the German embassy with a single word: “Success”.

Last edited:
The French has swallowed the lies, methinks, along with the lobsters :D

I still have a hard time believeing that the French would actually agree to something like this. Wouldn't this mean giving up the maginot line that was so expensive France went almost bankrupt?

It does seem a little too easy for ol' Adolf. After all, what is a 25-year pact worth if it is broken? Essentially this new deal allows Hitler to save money, build up his armed forces, win a political victory and fortify his border with France - all for putting his signature to a piece of paper that he can disregard any time he will.

Metinks France and Britain are about to get screwed if they are stupid enough to fall for this.

:) Jesper

Commander-DK said:
It does seem a little too easy for ol' Adolf. After all, what is a 25-year pact worth if it is broken? Essentially this new deal allows Hitler to save money, build up his armed forces, win a political victory and fortify his border with France - all for putting his signature to a piece of paper that he can disregard any time he will.

Metinks France and Britain are about to get screwed if they are stupid enough to fall for this.

:) Jesper

With Neville Chamberlain sitting in No.10 nothing is too stupid.

Methinks the French should have sent a more cunning diplomat to this meeting.

This is classic Hitler- give all necessary assurances to France/Britain while going for broke. I do wonder if he's going too far with his planned attack on Belgium, though. Is he counting on Belgium throwing a wrench into the renegotiation proceedings? Or are we seeing a parallel to the recent Colombia/Ecuador crisis?

Germany doesn't really think France will agree to scrapping the Maginot Line. If they do, that's all well and good, but I think Hitler's just taking a tough stance that he can back down from later and appear to be making concessions.

trekaddict - According to Hitler's first point: "First, Germany insists upon the legal recognition of the reoccupation of the Rhineland. Alternatively, [I am]willing to demilitarize the entire stretch within one hundred kilometers of the border if France pledges to do the same on its own side of the border."

Friedmann backed Amiot into accepting the first part because the alternative was so obviously unacceptable. He used a variation of the "door-in-the-face technique".

Of course, even then, he still must convince his government to actually accept the agreement.

N.B. It is not Neville Chamberlain but Stanley Baldwin who is in office at present -- perhaps the only man in the British Isles more indolent and complacent in the face of rising Fascism.

Commander-DK - Though the deal is far from signed, you are quite right. It is too easy for Hitler. Unfortunately, history records the Allies falling lock-stock-and-except-Winston-Churchill-barrel for similar false assurances.

Kurt_Steiner - Indeed. And more than a little wine after the meeting concluded, too!

Dublish - The best hint I can give you is to look carefully at what Hitler said at the end of his harangue to the generals on January 5th.

Last edited:
even if the French accept the proposal, that would still leave Germany with only one third as many divisions as the two main countries of the allies...

SeleucidRex - This is true. However, for Germany this would be very little loss whereas it would be a total force reduction of nearly 50% for France and nearly 25% for the British Empire.

And besides, given Hitler's track record, it's generally unwise to take him at his word on such matters. ;)

Kurt_Steiner said:
Attacking Belgium in 1936? Preparing the assault of Eben Emael in just two weeks?

Impressive... Best of luck... you'll need it...

Watching for the next step.

PS: I have also Osprey volume.

You Summoned me?

is it the same principle with the naval Clause then?

I can't imagine how the French Cabinet, let alone the French citizens, could accept leaving Alsace and Lorraine wide open to invasion, and abandon a multi-billion dollars fortified line.

The government who dared accept this would be bound to fall in disgrace in the hour. I can already hear the furious onslaught of Congressmen - between those who'll complain Nazi Germany is left unchecked, those who'll say it's a folly to abandon France's best defensive position and demobilize troops when France has already only half as many citizens to draft, and those who'll worry about the economic repercussions of closing down France's many military bases in the area. For once everybody will agree !

What Mr Amiot is bringing back to Paris is nothing short of the end of the government, me thinks. Or more probably, this is a fake diplomatic overture by Germany so Hitler can say "look, they refused to demilitarize on their side, so now we have to re-militarize on ours ! I tried, I really tried, but them awful French, they hate us and are warmongers, so now let's build up 100 more panzer divisions"

Osprey22 - I don't think Kurt summoned you intentionally, but it's great to have you along as a reader if you like! :D

SeleucidRex - Essentially, yes, if I understand you correctly.

Atlantic Friend - Quite perceptive, there. It is an agreement that would be of great benefit to Germany vis-a-vis France whether accepted or rejected.
Do keep in mind,though, even Amiot would not stand for the sacrifice of the Maginot Line, and instead agreed to legitimizing the reoccupation of the Rhineland. Thanks for taking the time to read (whether the whole AAR or just that particular installment) and comment. Hope you enjoy it!

Osprey22 said:
You Summoned me?

:D

Without knowing it, it seems I did :rofl:

Aye you did =D

TheHyphenated1- Good AAR still reading :)

Chapter I: Part VIII

Chapter I: The Hammerblow

Part VIII

January 8, 1936

In a silent room, Albert Lössner opened his eyes. He was in a strange bed. It was several seconds before he was able to separate his frantic dreams from his sense of reality enough to orient himself. His head throbbed.

Though no sunlight yet fell into the room, he could tell that it was morning. The morning of the eighth. He counted backwards to the night of the attack to confirm his reckoning.

It had been two days earlier that he had fled the little barbershop in Sulzau. In all the hours since, he had cursed himself for his foolishness. His terror had been so great, though, that he was powerless against it. Lössner had run without stopping until he reached the nearby town of Golling. There, he had been able to board a bus for Meiningen on the Swiss border. The ride had been long, but Lössner feared to sleep. Every time new passengers boarded the bus, he had gone wild with fear, thinking each of them a spy, an informant, or an undercover policeman. When the bus at last arrived in Meiningen, the driver had announced that it would continue across the border into Switzerland. Lacking papers, Lössner had reluctantly gotten off.

From the roadside, he had surveyed the border crossing -- just over a bridge across the Upper Rhine. The guard, he knew, would probably have been issued general warnings about him, so he resolved to cross further downriver.

The banks of the Upper Rhine were choked with thick brush and hedgework. Swimming the two hundred foot span of the river would have been impossible, so he continued downriver until he came upon a wooden boat tied near the bank. Untying the mooring, he had jumped into the boat and by furious paddling, at length alighted on the Swiss bank of the river. There, he had lain exhausted in the grass until he was startled awake by the sound of hoofbeats.

He had turned helplessly to face the sound, only to find a horse-drawn dairy wagon approaching him on the road. A man with a wide-brimmed hat waved and called out to him. The wagon came to a stop, and the man ran to Lössner.

“Are you well, sir?” He had a thick Swiss German accent.

“I --” Lössner realized that he had not spoken since fleeing Sulzau that morning. “I must see a doctor. Which way to a doctor?”

“The doctor in Sankt Gallen is my wife’s brother-in-law. Ease yourself up, and I’ll help you to the wagon.” The man held out his hand to Lössner, who pulled himself to his feet. He had insisted that he take Lössner to said doctor personally, and helped him onto the bench next to the man’s young wife.

sgs.jpg

The road just outside Sankt Gallen.

The three hour ride had passed quickly, and Lössner soon found himself standing outside a little whitewashed doctor’s office. From the signage, he was in Sankt Gallen -- a small city 19 kilometers from the border. As soon as the wagon was out of sight, Lössner had set off in search of lodgings for the night. Not long before nightfall, he had found the Hotel Alexander at the outskirts of Sankt Gallen.

With the money on his person he could only afford two nights in the room, and again cursed himself for poor planning. Two nights was time to plan his next moves, though, and -- checked in under the name Hans Müller -- he had bedded down without eating, and lain low through most of the next day.

This reckoning placed him two days after January sixth. Lössner sat up, his mind clearer. He dressed quickly without a shower, and unfolded a map provided by the hotel on the room’s small desk. With his finger he traced his movements since departing Berlin more than a week before.

There was a loud knock at the door. Lössner again felt the blind terror, but mastered it long enough to fold the map and approach the door. Three more knocks. “Who is it?”

“Herr Lössner, open the door.” The door muffled the voice, but it sounded neither familiar nor threatening.

“Who are you?”

“A friend. Please let me in.” The solitude of the past eight days made Lössner unlatch the door before he could think better of it. The door pushed open from the other side, followed by Lössner’s predawn visitor.

The man was tall and thin, with golden hair cropped short. He wore an expensive suit, and looked much like the many businessmen staying in the hotel. Lössner judged him to be no more than forty. The man closed and latched the door before speaking.

“Herr Lössner, I have come from my government at great risk to see you. Please sit down, while I explain what you are to do over the next several days.” The man’s German was impeccable.

“We both know,” he continued when Lössner was seated at the desk, “that you are being hunted by the SD. Additionally, the police forces of several neighboring countries have been alerted to watch for you. You must follow my instructions very carefully if you are to avoid capture. Do you understand?”

Lössner nodded. “Who are you?”

“Forgive me. Victor Rausch, Belgian secret intelligence.”

“What do you want with me?”

The man pursed his lips. “My government has been in contact with dissidents in, well, your country since Hitler came to power. The Reinickendorf Circle’s action was quite noble, but it lacked coordination with the wider movement against the Führer.” Lössner gaped. “In short,” the man continued, “in defense of Belgian security and neutrality, my service has been tasked with aiding and protecting those in Germany with our common interests at heart.”

“How do you know about us?” The thought that foreign intelligence services might have known about his conspiracy was staggering.

“We have many sources, Herr Lössner, but I must finish here within a few minutes. Pray let me continue.” Lössner nodded. “I have arranged a meeting at this hotel between yourself, a fellow agent and a dissident already in Belgium. We propose to aid and arm your resistance, as well as provide papers to allow you to travel discreetly. Do you understand?”

“Yes.”

“Good. The two men are named Arcadeldt and Kastner. They will arrive at noon on January twelfth. Here is some money. Stay close to Hotel Alexander and speak to no one else. You must not leave the hotel for long! Do you understand?”

“Yes.”

“Good.” He handed Lössner one hundred Swiss Francs in large bills. He turned, and unlatched the door.

“Wait. Can you take a message to my family?”

“All in good time, Herr Lössner. Arcadeldt will see to it.” He slipped out the door before Lössner could reply.

Again the room was silent. Albert Lössner was alone with his thoughts.

Last edited:
Osprey22 - Glad you like it!

Everyone - Though I have not explicitly stated this before, I just read an official exhortation to do so: Comments, feedback, questions and general participation is encouraged and appreciated!