The SolAARium: Discuss the craft of writing - Alphabetical Index in the 1st Post

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Thank Crom you dragged the tone down, @El Pip. There was much too much talk of Alexander Pushkin and Charles Dickins to suit my taste :). Seriously though, in a comedic sense, I'd like to think The SolAARium is not just for literary or elite purposes. It's function is to cover all aspects of writing and AARs. I think it's great you tackled the comedic aspects of the subject. Your answers and insight just expands its purpose. And those are wonderful answers. Comedic AARs have been around since the very early days. The works of @Peter Ebbesen, MrT, prufrock451, and @Duke of Wellington come to mind, as well as my Portugal or Bust: The Director's Cut - Rated 'R', a mini-series that takes a not so subtle shot at the movie and TV world.

I liked your answer to planning or scritping events and how they are used on the fly. Sometimes the humour just writes itself.

• 2Like
Reactions:
• Do you plot non-historical characters ahead of time? Or create them on the fly?

Since what we write is alternative history, I like to keep my historical characters reasonably true to their actual selves. If nothing else, it helps give the reader something (someone?) to hold onto. If we were really writing alternative history there might not be any familiar name at all, and I think that can hurt suspension of disbelief. Even if your main characters are your own invention, a famous name or two passing in the background helps make it feel real.

• Do you use a character sheet?

No. If I don't know who the characters are, they tell me - and sometimes they tell me off and go their own way, or change as we go.
If I don't know who my people are - the major characters and not the minors - then I had better not write until I do.

• Do you introduce character traits slowly, or all at once (less is more vs. info dump)?

I like to give characters a 'tell' or fit them into a category - old man, new guy, etc. Then I let them play against type if they want. Nothing helps make a character human like inconsistency.

• Do your characters drive the story?

Yes. off the cliff, usually. I am not good at writing characters - I try, but it is not my strong suit. But all too often, they decide they don't like the script (or me) and off they go.

• Or does the story drive the character?

Sometimes the story necessitates certain characters - you can't have Shakespeare's Hamlet if you put Sherlock Holmes in the title role, or vice versa.
Some stories just have to have certain people in them or they are not that story.

• Does the AAR length influence the amount of narrative detail you go into (i.e. AARs that last a few years vs 350+)?

Length. Ah, God. I completely lost control of Here There Be Dragons and the experience was horrifying. I tend to want to write short fiction but seem completely unable to do so. Length? I could write a thousand pages on a minor character debating his breakfast. The problem is stopping.

• How much research do you undertake when writing a historical personage, if any?

A fair bit - but, honestly, this is alternative history, so having them react in a way that seems true to the audience is better than lifting a response from a biography. And having a historical personage ring a bit false to their actual character can be useful, too.

• Do you plan or script the events ahead of crafting your AAR, or write it 'on the fly'?

Both. I generally know the kind of story I want to tell and I work out a few scenes that I know have to be in the story no matter how hard I have to work to get there.
I do pick up a lot from game events, and I always try to play ahead so that I don't write myself into a corner.
I have changed my mind about the ending, but I think I have to get that settled at least by the mid-point if I'm going to arrive on-target.

• Have any of your characters taken on a life of their own and forced unforeseen changes to the narrative?

Constantly. I used to resent it but got to where I realized they know what they're about better than I do - I mean, why have an invisible friend if you don't let him speak?
I have sometimes forced a character to do what I want, and I have always regretted it - that makes for bad writing.

• Do you serialize your posts? (i.e. end with a cliffhanger?)

I have done - gotta keep those addicts comin' back for another hit, after all. Not all that often, but I have sometimes done so.

• Do you prefer First Person (I, me, my), Second Person (you, your), Third Person (he/she, his/her) or Third Person Omniscient (same as TP but with full knowledge of events)

That entirely depends on what I'm writing. I think - for me - it is a question of immediacy. First person is very immediate - we are at one with the POV character and we experience what he or she does, in real time. It goes down the scale from there, with a cool Third Person Omniscient more suited for history-book passages.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions:
Hey Porter! Thanks for this. Good to see you still frequenting the halls, so to speak. Great answers, BTW. I noticed your disdain for character sheets. I like to use them so I can remember what side of the face a scar is on :).

• 1Like
Reactions:
@Lord Durham - Hi! Good to see so many old friends loitering... um... using creative planning time here.

I wouldn't say I have disdain for character sheets and I am sorry if my comments came off that way. I'll blame all-night insomnia two nights in a row for that.
It stems, I think, from the fact that I don't do a very good job of making vivid characters: cardboard is a kind description, and though I hope to uses a decent grade of strong, serviceable product, cardboard it remains.
From my perspective, I think I build characters from speech patterns and actions and I do not give a lot of details about appearance. Where I do - and I will list Madame Frost from Special Providence - I try to provide an actual image. And then she changes her appearance a dozen times, so there's that.

I do keep some notes when I mention past life, or anything like a peculiar scar that has to be referenced again. I just have never used a detailed character sheet.

No 'disdain' intended - just a caution that, one way or another you had better know who your people are, and had better think they are worth writing about, before you start.

• 2Like
Reactions:
I am sorry if my comments came off that way. I'll blame all-night insomnia two nights in a row for that.

Perhaps you life needs better... direction.

(And this kind of joke is what keeps me out of the really good writing programs.)

• 1Like
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
@Lord Durham - Hi! Good to see so many old friends loitering... um... using creative planning time here.

So many new faces, so few old. It was an invite by @coz1 over on Facebook that brought me here. He wanted me to read his magnum opus 'War of the Roses' AAR. Of course I refused. Then the cheques started rolling in. I still said no. Then it was the phone calls from very important people imploring me. No, I said again. Finally, it was the groveling by Al that convinced me to give it a try. So I did, and it was, er, actually, is, great. A definite recommendation. So now that I'm here, I thought I'd see what further mischief I can get into.

I wouldn't say I have disdain for character sheets and I am sorry if my comments came off that way. I'll blame all-night insomnia two nights in a row for that.

Yeah, perhaps 'disdain' was too harsh a word. How about, er, ah, 'disdain?' :)

Are you working on anything these days, @Director, or just loitering?

Or do you, as @Secret Master so adroitly stated, need direction...

• 1Haha
Reactions:
@Lord Durham -
Oh! When you were talking about 'disdane' I thought it was your clever Canadian way to refer to from someone from Denmark.

My mistake. Perhaps if your people spoke English... ;)

@Secret Master -
I'll tell you the terrible truth. The last thing I wrote was "A Battle History of the Modern Byzantine Navy" in 2016.
Since then, COVID got me retired against my will... and Paradox and I no longer play together. I couldn't keep interested in the welter of DLCs and rules changes.

I think I would have liked Stellaris, but I took up Distant Worlds before that came out. Rule The Waves is a favorite. Playing Tropico at the moment... I've bought a lot of Paradox games, including Imperator and Victoria 3, but... somehow, when I want to play, I pick up something else.

At some point I didn't have time to write. And when I did, I found I don't have the drive I once did. I have a third HistoryPark story mapped out and ready to write... but I've delayed so long that EU7 is on its way out and EU26 is on the way.

• 1Like
Reactions:
At some point I didn't have time to write.

You got it.

When I finally got some time to do stuff, I started channeling it into other creative endeavors.

True story:

I did get to present an academic paper on Stellaris. Not an AAR or fiction, but fun nonetheless. :)

... um... using creative planning time here.
I hope so.

No 'disdain' intended - just a caution that, one way or another you had better know who your people are, and had better think they are worth writing about, before you start.
Cannot disagree with this. That said, when one has a sprawling cast, Character sheets/notes/cards/whatever can assist in not making a terrible continuity error in the writing. So too Outlines to assist in keeping within the thread and not getting too far off base and/or away from the intended story.

So many new faces, so few old. It was an invite by @coz1 over on Facebook that brought me here. He wanted me to read his magnum opus 'War of the Roses' AAR. Of course I refused. Then the cheques started rolling in. I still said no. Then it was the phone calls from very important people imploring me. No, I said again. Finally, it was the groveling by Al that convinced me to give it a try. So I did, and it was, er, actually, is, great. A definite recommendation. :)
And to think that someone round these parts suggested that I not write it in the first place. ;)

The ducats were well spent, LD. :cool:

• 2Like
Reactions:
Artificial Intelligence and Imagery: A Personal Journey

2boV2P6VhlMpqC6FBy8jHETMgPvlZh2xeHaQEa0I4lT66CDvVbeA9iXy0cb_HEUNp1aYfK3OD5Kvb-WicPsNZ1f9gZNGb9zE-bjK29XPyzaCIoWHwl3hR66QhRFW_fyht0vW6SzvIUhVozs3rN1Tmr8

(This is an image of Queen Ólöf of Denmark holding her son Fróði.)

Author’s Note: First, your humble author is no more qualified to write this article than any of two dozen others here in AARland. One might immediately turn to @The Kingmaker , who won this year’s Yearly AARland Year-end AwAARds (the YAYAs) as Graphics/AARtist of the Year as a better expert and I will gladly defer to his expertise. Or the expertise of many others. Notably, @Olden Weiss has a very detailed post here about using Stable Diffusion, an AI image generator. He also has a bit of a tutorial about how he created the images for his AAR, From Pendragon to Prominence. Also, I should call out @streaker77 for always having high quality artwork for his AAR, The Dragon’s Realm. However, @Lord Durham invited me to write this article and I understand his wisdom. Known as someone who can catalyze discussions, this is meant to start the ball rolling on a wider discussion of art that brightens our AARs.

Usually, when considering your AAR, the words come first. To those who do not see themselves as visual artists, take heart: this new way of making images starts with words too. Word choice is paramount.

For some of us, putting out an AAR without illustrations or artwork is like taking your baby out in public without a diaper or clothing. Many of us treat our AARs just like babies: caring for them; seeing them grow; and hoping they prosper. So dressing them fashionably is part of that caring ritual. But what to do if you aren’t artistically inclined when it comes to visuals, hate searching the web for public domain images, and don’t have a budget for fancy software or to pay for images?

Certainly, from the title of this, you can glean the answer. But do you really want to deal with the controversies and ethics of Artificial Intelligence?

Those who don’t will find other solutions.

However, as someone who manages an AAR inspired by graphic novels, it is essential for me to approach the use of AI in an ethical way. I don’t have a budget to pay artists (as some have done, even if it is a relatively small amount) or to pay for software licenses. Currently, I use the free version of krita for complex editing of images. However, as a Mac user, I find its internal tools work just fine for the basics. And there are free online options too. (More on that later.)

But this is not about software. It’s about solutions for creating images. So back to the start of this post. You have probably already figured out that the first image is from AI. Currently, this is an image I don’t plan to use in the Paradox forums, so we can deconstruct it a bit here. That opening image was constructed using Bing, the very first AI platform that I started using about 11 months ago. However, that first image was made with the DALL·E 3 image generator, a much more advanced AI than Bing’s original DALL·E image generator. That image was also made with the Assistance of Microsoft’s Copilot AI, which just means I had an interaction with an AI platform that was in the form of a conversation rather than just punching instructions into a prompt. The key parts of getting this result were the instructions to Copilot: a Norse woman in a royal family holding a baby in the 8th Century. In addition, the instructions also asked for the image to look like a Romantic era piece of art painted by Danish artist J. L. Lund. Sometimes the AI doesn’t give you everything you want. This prompt was actually for a different project and I didn’t like the results, but I saved this image and when I needed something for Queen Ólöf, I thought this fit perfectly. Here’s a link to see some of the prompting.

So the first lesson is that working with AI can be hit and miss, and sometimes you have to try different methods and prompts to get what you’d like. But sometimes you will also get it on the first pass.

Some may already be questioning the ethics of my use of the style of J. L. Lund in these instructions. As Lund has passed away long ago and his works are all in the public domain (unless you own the physical copies) the generally accepted standard is that I am not hurting a living artist by borrowing this style. As someone working with Danish characters and an AAR based around the Danes, I have found Lund’s style is one that evokes an aesthetic that many associate with the Norse and Vikings. Also, I have used Lund’s works and credited them both in my AAR and in other projects. Usually, I link to the artwork on the AI platform which often gives some transparency to how the work was created. (But more on linking and Bing, a bit later.) The big debate around AI is how the work of living artists and writers are being used without compensation in the creation of new art, images and stories. Personally, I do not agree with this practice and if I feel a platform is stealing from others, I discontinue using it. However, some have done tests to push AI to take intellectual property and it is possible to do this easily on some platforms. Personally, I find that unethical. Some may say it is part of satire or fair comment, so I suppose context is everything in these discussions, but in general I don’t think artistic property should be reused without permission and without compensation for living writers and artists. Just understand though it is difficult to discern sometimes which platforms are the best, ethically.

That important tangent was probably too much for many folks but it needed to be said.

Let me take you back to my early stumbling about trying to find images for my AAR.

The first chapter of Lost Seasons of the Danes features two images from Bing.

One is a photorealistic portrait of King Harald “Wartooth” and the other has become the logo of sorts for the AAR: a woodcut of a Norse funeral pyre.

jo7wJDAWqbeuq5Z23YQu8GJ2kZqSoEzHz3PbCC0Cmv7jI0Tj-LlVbdpwJABRCFXr2zHPqBNDBxq7VDX5MoRaUTk2RL4K0We46meh6M-ISUVx3G5bZbTGdC8rNysgpwtjv9psD8iDRwdgpVAQmQ6ciV4
4Ijr_NiKdU4gtie-S3853G7ZVy87cq1qZ-UxeP1EpZwW0WDOc5r63cQ221Md6NTrdfUzMXO2_8a5Q8E2X7NeMMpETYytbZ2-8Gi4wQ3UlmRth3oiNjg4aY6OCLgAbNre-N74zx4Li57brZ6kpuZV0p0

These images were created with the original DALL·E image generator and you can compare them to the image at the top of this post to make your own comparisons regarding visual upgrades in DALL·E 3. I still love these images, but Bing is no longer the only platform I use and for good reasons.

One of several drawbacks to Bing is that although it appears that it stores your images, after a while it only stores the thumbnails of those images. Some might say: what do you want for free? And I would agree. If you use Bing, you should download everything to a hard drive. I discovered this the hard way. One part of using AI is you will likely create a lot of images that don’t match what you need immediately. That’s why I like storing them to sort for other projects later. But storage in the cloud online is easier than taking up space on your hard drive. If you try Bing, don’t make this mistake. Other platforms have proved to be more secure, even for those using the free versions. Bing also offers links to your images so folks may see the prompting and construction. But again, as time goes on, it only keeps those links current for some images, not all. This is frustrating.

One more aspect of Bing is you can easily use Microsoft’s Designer, an online digital editor, to alter the images you create. Designer had an eraser feature that was good. For me, this was needed because the AI always insists on creating horned helmets for Vikings. However, the eraser doesn’t work as magically as those you may see on television. You might highlight what you wanted erased 20 times and still it would not be completely gone. This was another built in frustration for folks using the free version. You could only perform so many special effects functions in 24 hours. So it might take days to fix an image that wasn’t just right.

Now, Microsoft has discontinued the eraser function altogether in Designer. At least for the time being.

This is why, although I still use Bing and Copilot in a pinch when all else fails, I really need to be pushed in that direction. Sorry to say they are last on my list.

The primary platform I prefer now is Playground. Playground is great for creating portraits, and ultimately, a lot of my AAR is built around those. Playground uses its variant of the Stable Diffusion image generator. Playground also allows the use of reference images. Bing allows that now, but other platforms had that feature before Bing. So if I have a public domain image that I want to use as a model, this helps the AI create something that approximates it. It is still hunt and peck though sometimes, even with this feature. Here’s a recent example of something from Playground that is probably not going to show up here on the forum anytime soon.

SSLZz21_RRi3VaDx9GezIIV0fjh5yk_xS88uV7T9uMlV6vN88kzJPy_7fQ25AAcE6m8_n11DFCjtXtLvUPSt_-vHZJYr4KEHs_5Y-Ze9lc_q4tcW5gRtzm6cu5F3w66of9HGqPgaQnkSRMtAMt22MNg

(A Finnish woman captured by the Danes during a raid.)

However, as someone on Playground’s free plan, I have a limited amount of special effects edits I can make daily and during peak times it may not even allow me to make images. Of course, again, what do you want for free?

So off to find another platform and that is part of the fun of this moment as AI is an experimental trend and there are many new choices if you look. One of those backup choices is Leonardo AI. Leonardo uses something called Leonardo Diffusion as an image generator. Currently, none of the images I’ve made on Leonardo have come to what I post on Paradox’ Forum but I have used them for other projects and they may show up here eventually. I haven’t found a way to manipulate Leonardo to get the same visual appeal I can get from Playground or Bing but I’m still lurching through it in the early stages of learning the platform. This all relates to the wording of the prompts and the combinations of filters and other visual offerings on each platform.

Here’s an example of one from Leonardo that will likely not be used in my AARs:

_P4N4wKWerML_LL3cnIqb-hVyMZaNlVjF5XcyEPoZ-VDQuceWZTFKo5NKCR-Xkcd5zZYblL3p9BXFAPUS8QMCrxNjq4Zt4xgN1cYMnxFjhomzQRcK7U3SWbW5Quw_kwwqvZZTkOcQhyzfJE1fQpFEcw

(King Fróði attempts to maneuver around a stag during his ill-fated hunting trip.)

This week, I added an image from Google’s experimental ImageFX platform to a new AAR chapter just because I wanted to show off what it can do. Just like the other platforms, Leonardo has limits on its free plan for how many images I can create. So ImageFX became my third option. However, again, I’m not practiced enough to get the best out of ImageFX yet. It also has limitations on prompts. For instance, you can’t name an artist’s style you want to use, even a long deceased artist. Instead, I ask for the style of Danish artists and I usually get something close to what I want. Here’s the piece that came out of those ImageFX experiments.

rtla6gV0NXw4H3A9mScMPJ_M_mDY2bp0A-plWAyfAq25BpUnxF7XGE_2j_rpnfnlGdvJYpuJfx_3sUgs70YU8LeQsCu2X0nDmXnNHKsmfl21HQ_oOSviCFFQA9fV7PbfUARgPZbMRfDvAEZvy5pilK4

By comparison, here’s a similar image from Playground using a similar prompt that I decided did not work.

3gOwX3mNUWq07B4DfTezzmHfwdEGOp6TFGDtYmpD5MnA9ip2mFGUZXv9MkarJ9zaHXwU0DhgzQsEVwPag15kPvP7CizcFdxGg9hM5cSOtK3K8nVFmhVFw34HHPEuSf68Pp7fXV09khrABbldHJZ5YPw

I’ve also experimented with RenderNet, because it promises it can lock in a character’s image and reuse it in different settings. With a graphic novel inspired AAR, you might imagine that would be useful. However, despite various experiments, so far I have yet to see RenderNet live up to that promise. Nothing produced there has been worth saving. That said, it is advertising new features and upgrades so I may go back to dabbling with it again.

There are a variety of other programs, and I’ve tried a few others, but these are the best of the bunch I’ve tried. As they say though, your mileage may vary depending upon conditions. Free versions will usually come with limits designed on getting you to purchase a monthly subscription.

You might also consider using the free online service for MidJourney. That program comes recommended by others and there’s a lot of buzz about it. That will be the next one on my list to try.

There are a variety of image programs you can install on your computer, likely for a fee. Personally, until the bugs of AI are dealt with, I don’t trust it on my hard drive. I don’t want to go too far down the tangent of the arguments you can read about as writers argue with AI. I’ve had them myself where the AI disputes known facts. That’s the scary part about using it.

Finally, a word about LunaPic. This is the online image editor I use to add speech bubbles to characters. Currently, I need to train myself better on LunaPic because I know I’m unlocking less than 15 percent of what that image editing tool can do. But if you are looking for a free online image editor and one that has some special effects that are useful, this is the one I recommend. However, I will say the eraser tool doesn’t work as well as some of those connected to AI platforms like Playground. Although, that could be operator error. All these programs take time to learn.

Although far from completely comprehensive, this could be a good start to discussing how you use AI on your AAR or the ethics of AI use for images and other purposes. From experience, I know some folks are reluctant to share their AI image secrets. However, you will see I am fairly transparent about how the images I use are made. I hope others will share here too.

(Postscript: There are various recent discussions about images which might also be useful to read. You can find a good discussion about image limits for AARs and why you should consider jpeg files rather than png files beginning in this post of Jak’s Game Guide: An EU4 Tutorial with comments starting with @Bullfilter . There is also a brief conversation with @Rensslaer about the images in Lost Seasons of the Danes that relate to image continuity. My answers about those can be found here. You can also see some of the oddities of AI art (a two-headed horse) in this post from @Nikolai in his Dreams of Elysium where he mentions some of the limitations of using free AI image generators. Hoping you agree that the discussion of visual creativity and the process that supports it can be interesting.)

• 1Love
Reactions:
Great work, @Chac1. I really appreciate you taking the time to put this together. I know more about quantum physics and string theory than I do about these programs you have outlined :). I'm definitely going to look into them and play around. Who knows what may come out of it. I can see why Playground is your go to platform. I admit I like the results in your Lost Seasons of the Danes AAR. I understand and share your concerns about AI and copyrighted material. Without digging into the legalities ATM, I'm curious if you know if the statute of limitations for copyrighted material is the same life plus 70 years (US) that it is for written works?

• 2Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Very good stuff Chac, I have also grappled with the ethics of AI, but I'm never going to hire someone to make art for my AAR and my skills do not lie in the visual realm. I may start taking some of your suggestions to heart.

AI Art truly is quite fast and impressive. Behold, King Leopold I staring happily at a waffle

1714139197250.jpeg

Last edited:
  • 2Haha
  • 1Like
Reactions:
I'm not entirely clear on the legal issues. Human artists borrow from and are influenced by others all the time, and will quite happily admit to it in interviews.

Could it be the sticking point is the 'exactness' of borrowing, or the amount? Or do human artists escape censure by admitting their inspiration (Symphonic Metamorphosis of Themes by Carl Maria von Weber by Paul Hindemith) or by passing it off as pastiche, tribute or satire?

Is it just that a lawyer can be convinced to file a suit in hope of a fee? We all think plagiarism is bad (at least I assume so) but our societies have great difficulty determining exactly how much similarity is intentionally, legally actionable. The fact that nations keep extending the length of copyright is really, really not helping. Should the company that owns the rights to the Beatles, or Picasso, keep their work out of the public domain for generations?

I think we are living in another 'buggy-whip' moment. Human-produced art will survive, perhaps in the way the orchestra does - as a museum-piece performing great hits of the past.

Here's a great piece of human-produced art from the Mozart of our time, Jacob Collier:

• 1Like
Reactions:
Thanks for the various reactions to my essay. Very much appreciated. Haven't had much interaction with the @Director before so this is a treat to have two of the originators of AARland (referencing @Lord Durham , of course, here) and one of the most promising newcomers @MidKnightDreary . Great combination of folks for the discussion....

Without digging into the legalities ATM, I'm curious if you know if the statute of limitations for copyrighted material is the same life plus 70 years (US) that it is for written works?
I think a lawyer would be the one to give a definitive answer. I believe visuals and music are the same as the written word, but what complicates this is that different countries or regions (the EU) are developing laws that may not match. How does that work in a globalized electronic world?

Could it be the sticking point is the 'exactness' of borrowing, or the amount?
Yes, my understanding of US copyright law deals with the amount of the borrowing. As someone who has taught about fair use, generally if you are lifting ten percent or less of a copyrighted work then you do not have to pay or seek permissions. However, how much of the new work that you created are dependent upon what you lifted? This is debatable. If the piece that you lifted is basically your entire new work, what have you really made? From my understanding of the recent Supreme Court decision Andy Warhol Foundation for the Visual Arts v. Goldsmith, which is explained a bit more here in Smithsonian, the borrowing must be "transformative" and it can't compete commercially with the original work. Those are two important standards to consider, and as we are discussing visual art, one person's "transformative" may not be another person's view. Again, lawyers would have a lot more to say about these points.

I think we are living in another 'buggy-whip' moment. Human-produced art will survive, perhaps in the way the orchestra does - as a museum-piece performing great hits of the past.
I completely agree with this point. We are in the process of evolution. What about human artists using AI to do basic chores but then coming in to finish the work? (Thinking a bit about Warhol's process here too.) Here is a piece from The New York Times (apologies if you hit a paywall) about the artist David Salle training an AI to do work in his style perhaps as an inspirational tool.

I know more about quantum physics and string theory than I do about these programs you have outlined :). I'm definitely going to look into them and play around.
This is the seductive part. With Copilot, Bing is now the simplest of these to use because you create art as part of a conversation. There are some nuances to it. Plus you can use Designer (somewhat) to tweak the results.
AI Art truly is quite fast and impressive. Behold, King Leopold I staring happily at a waffle
Welcome to the conversation @MidKnightDreary . Appreciate your involvement now in the SolAARium, and other parts of AARland lately. This is an excellent piece that bolsters the comic style of your new AAR.

Perhaps you might share the platform you used? Or even the prompts? Or provide a link? Just curious about your process.

Finally, thanks @Director for the wonderful music. Collier has not only captured the Beatles music (a George Harrison composition) in that last one but also the visual aesthetic of some of their music films/videos. Guessing he paid royalties to Apple for the music but I think your point is made there about the visual style. Guessing that Freddie Mercury's estate gets a royalty payment for Collier's use of that Queen classic too.

Thanks everyone for the wonderful discussion.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I completely agree with this point. We are in the process of evolution. What about human artists using AI to do basic chores but then coming in to finish the work? (Thinking a bit about Warhol's process here too.) Here is a piece from The New York Times (apologies if you hit a paywall) about the artist David Salle training an AI to do work in his style perhaps as an inspirational tool.
Truly the concept of ownership is more nebulous than ever before.
This is the seductive part. With Copilot, Bing is now the simplest of these to use because you create art as part of a conversation. There are some nuances to it. Plus you can use Designer (somewhat) to tweak the results.

Welcome to the conversation @MidKnightDreary . Appreciate your involvement now in the SolAARium, and other parts of AARland lately. This is an excellent piece that bolsters the comic style of your new AAR.

Perhaps you might share the platform you used? Or even the prompts? Or provide a link? Just curious about your process.
That image was made with Leonardo, which I selected on your recommendation. The Prompt was "King Leopold I staring happily at a waffle" but I do not recall the exact combination of "elements" that resulted in that image. I don't intend on using it quite yet, but certainly it has a lot of potential. I think I'm going to slowly implement it when existing art is unsuitable, and label it as AI-generated. On non-commercial work, I'm thinking it's a Romans 14:23 situation. If it pricks your conscience, you should not do it, but if you feel free to do so, do so!

Reactions:
I think a lawyer would be the one to give a definitive answer. I believe visuals and music are the same as the written word, but what complicates this is that different countries or regions (the EU) are developing laws that may not match. How does that work in a globalized electronic world?

A quick Google search on copyright laws for different countries provides a cat's breakfast of varying lengths. A real land mine. When I was Admining the official Conan dot com forums way back when, the copyright status of Robert E. Howard's work was an ongoing headache between what was public domain and what wasn't. There's a real good article on it, but it's quite heavy reading and I don't think it would interest anyone here. I only mention it because other authors are probably in the same boat.

Finally, thanks @Director for the wonderful music. Collier has not only captured the Beatles music (a George Harrison composition) in that last one but also the visual aesthetic of some of their music films/videos. Guessing he paid royalties to Apple for the music but I think your point is made there about the visual style.

Of course, you could have referenced George Harrison's My Sweet Lord for another can of worms :).

• 2Like
Reactions:
@Chac1 - I'd give you five thumbs-up if I could. Thank you very much!

Collier is one of those 'once in a lifetime' artists. It says something that each of his albums have won a Grammy - and Quincy Jones asked to be his agent. :eek:
Even more rarely, he has an incredible grasp of harmonies (trust me, some of the things he conceptualizes are just not humanly possible) and manages to be accessible and produce popular music.

@Lord Durham - I suspect it won't be long before we see a lot of art that breaks the law in the US or Canada, but which is freely accessible over the internet from somewhere else.

• 2Like
Reactions: