• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
What's the succession law currently? Is there a chance Norway and England could go their separate ways? Not that that would necessarily be the worst thing in the world, so long as you kept the richer half.

It should be Elective.

Responses

Tanzhang: I'll give a bit a spoiler, I do get involved in two conflicts, one minor one with Scandinavia, and one large one which goes on for friggin ever.

Herbert West: Too right, how dare he have questionable parental history. That's not the sort of problem any famous Vikings ever had... erm...

Sematary: Not so much off limits, just persistently beyond my reach. I'll get there eventually I'm sure, what good would an England AAR be without the inevitable war with Wales.

Deaghaidh: That was actually a surprise, it was not elective. Norway is, but England was not (which is why I suppose Godwin Haraldson followed his dad to the throne). This particular issue is one which will in fact play a rather pivotal role for the next 50 years.

As to York, I don't actually own it :( it still belongs to a rather cheeky vassal

ArmsofEngand_Norway2.png

Part i: Revolt of the Earls

TheConqueror.png

Harald the Conqueror marched back to Middlesex. Perhaps not with the grandeur of conquerors past and future, but with authority nonetheless. With most of the nobility of Saxon England present, Harald was crowned King of England. His coronation came at the hands of the Papal legates who had accompanied William the bastard across the channel. The legates found themselves backing a dead horse, and quickly turned to the wind blowing from the North. Harald's son and now heir Olaf was known to be friendly to Rome, it wouldn't hurt to have some sort of ally in the North. Three men however were conspicuously absent from the coronation: Gyrth of Norfolk, Eadwin of York and of course Godwin Haroldsson, King Harold's heir. Theses three men not only fled to their strongholds but called up their vassals as well. Harold of Norway had crowned himself with the passive approval, though forced, of the Witenagemot, the old Saxon council. While the Witan was not disbanded, it was made toothless. By disregarding their authority, Harold had announced that the new England would be one where the old guard of the Saxons would have little say.

Witan.jpg

It is said that to the victors go the spoils, and in Harald's case it was no different. For himself he took much of the south of England, including Middlesex, where he made his capital, Essex, Sussex, Surrey and Kent. For his allies went much of the rest of south-central England. However Harald was not completely without new friends in the Saxon circles. Those nobles who had left Godwin Haraldson's side after his father's death were likewise rewarded with land and titles. In all, England was ruled by 2/3's Saxon (though much of this in the hands of those disloyal to the new King), the rest belonged to new Norwegian lords. For many Saxon nobles and Earls, this was enough, they had escaped complete destruction under the iron grip of William of Normandy, and many looked to prosper under the easily distracted rule of this new king. And who knew, if one succession could be contended, why not another?

YorkGoestoWar.png

But for these three Saxon lords the wait was too long. While Harald had been lenient in allowing his enemies (even the son of his former rival) to remain in power, he had also doled out a great deal to his allies and friends. When a non-Christian warrior was named Jarl of Tottenham, it was the excuse the rebel lords required. All three men, Gyrth in the East, Godwin in the West and most notably Eadwin in the North rose up in revolt. On May 22nd 1069, 21 days after the coronation of Harald, war had returned to Britain. Unfortunately for the rebels, geography was not in their favor. While they succeeded in surrounding the new King, they could not link up. Harald had prepared for such a rebellion, and kept his army close at hand. And what geography didn't destroy, greed did. Gyrth had been a loyal ally to Harold and his son Godwin. But Eadwin felt he would be the better choice and planed to seize the throne for himself. Three battles would take place between 1069 and 1073, and through them Harald would put a permanent end to the rebellion to Norwegian rule from the Saxon nobility.

earl-waltheof-statue.jpg

Earl Waltheof, an unfortunate ally to the rebel Earls​

Gyrth had laid out the plan to overthrow Harald. The three armies would meet in Oxford, there rallying the displaced Saxon nobility to march on the Viking lords. Gyrth wanted to crown Godwin in Oxford, but agreed to name Eadwin as heir. Eadwin wanted nothing to do with such a passive plan, he wanted to strike at Harald directly and depose the new king. He left his erstwhile allies with no choice but to march on with him. And it ended the rebellion of the Earls before it began. Harald saw the threat and reacted rapidly. First he marched north and caught Eadwin by surprise in Notingham. Eadwin's army managed to escape without great loss, but it was a loss nonetheless. Any moral claim Eadwin had to seizing the throne was gone. Harald then turned south towards Oxford where Gryth and Godwin were gathering their forces. Force-marching his army south, Harald arrived on the morning of October 26th, 1070. The Saxon force was even smaller than Eadwin's, and was no match even against the tired Norse army. Godwin fled to Scotland, Gyrth surrendered and the rebellion in the South was put to an end. Harald then turned north for one final battle with Eadwin, defeating the rebels once again at the Battle of Boston Field, where Eadwin surrendered and was taken in custody back to Harald's court at Edward the Confessor's church in Westminster. He would see his power reduced by a third, and for a time, peace returned to the British Isles.

TheEndofTheYorkishRebellion.png

loki100- Thanks, I felt it was an appropriate re appropriation of the actual revolt. As annoying as it was in reality I'm sure.

Aetherius- That would have been smart, however I was just so thrilled that I had won that I accepted the first peace I could get. And the darn Saxons in the North will continue to be a plague because of my eagerness.

Morsky- Harald's actually got his stuff together, the sheer number of times the armies have been used means the manpower reserves are painfully low. That being said, Harald's heirs have issues of their own to address.

NRDL- Ideally taking care of the Swedes, Danes, Scots, Irish and French are all on the menu. Unfortunately my vassals had other plans.

The Saxons should know their role and sit the hell down! :p

So Godwin is now a vassal of Harald? I wonder if we can expect another Saxon rebellion led by him in the near future?

Replies

Omen- Indeed, my grand goal is a sort of Imperial rule across the north. I wish that any large collection of Kingdom titles would give you an Imperial chance (with high piety and good relations to the Pope for example) but as far as I know you have to have the de jure Empire to be an Empire.

AlexanderPrimus- Listen, its not about how big your axe is, just how sharp... erm...

Saithis- Too right, and in about 200 years I think they may finally do that :(

Tanzhang- Nope, Godwin's rebellion got him banished to Scotland, but his clan didn't vanish from Saxon England, still around much later in the future.

ArmsofEngand_Norway2.png

Part ii: The Bloody Field

TheGrandTournament.png

To celebrate his victory, and bring the nobility of England and Norway together, (and likely to avoid boredom for a wandering warrior of a king) Harald organized a tournament in Middlesex. The goal was simple, get all the greatest warriors of England together in one place, and remind them who ruled now. It was an interesting blending of cultures, the heirs to the Viking warriors of old clashing in fake battle with the men they had just recently defeated for real. By all accounts, the tournament was a massive success for the King. It not only allowed him to show off his recently captured rival Eadwin, but also force another pressing issue, the issue of succession. Olaf, the regent of Norway, arrived for the tournament along with most of the other powerful Earls of Norway (And many neighboring kingdoms as well). Calling the much-reduced Witan together after the first day of fighting Harald broached the topic. Through debate, threats and bribes, Harald convinced the Witan to accept whoever Harald named as heir.

OlafisKilled.png

The conference of nobles turned out to be timely. The next evening, Olaf, Harald's heir, was killed. It was not only a shock to Harald, but to the young kingdom. The direct male line of Harald the Conqueror was extinguished before it had begun. While this had never been an issue in Norway (Harald himself having only very dubious family genealogy) it could prove to be one in England. Fortunately, the Witan had just approved Harald naming his heir, not his son as heir. And thanks to a very devious daughter, a series of fortunate circumstances and the tournament's final battle, the succession of the English throne would be secured. It was at this point that a rather singular figure in history appeared. Harald's eldest daughter, Ragnhild, called in the Christian world Mary. She had been married to the Duke of the Isles' eldest son Domnall MacHarald. It was a marriage of convenience and power, and provided Harald with a powerful ally. And it provided Ragnhild with a means to an end, that end being the thrones of Norway and England.

Ragnhild arrived at the tournament with a flurry and show far greater than her father. She arrived with her husband, and a virtual army of supporters, hyrdmen and nobles. Immediately she set about expanding her satellite of support. Chief among them, Estmond, the younger brother of the influential and still seething Eadwin. It would prove to be a friendship which would shape the face of England. Ragnhild was instantly popular, charismatic and sharp tongued. And it made the grim decision facing Harald far easier. Ragnhild was his heir, the only way to keep his family in power. Both of his sons were dead, he had no male grandchildren, and his daughter was his only answer. Some of the nobility, including that of Norway, supported the move, Ragnhild already had two daughters, there was no reason to suppose she could not have sons. Many of the Saxon nobles were unwilling, or unable to answer the call to resist. Only Eadwin, despite his brother's protestations, could resist. He challenged the new king to prove his family's personal fortitude in the tourney the next day. Should Harald win in the melee, Eadwin would agree to recognize the right of Raghnild to rule.

HaraldwinstheTournament.png

Needless to say, Harald did win, to the embarrassment of Eadwin and his now dwindling allies. The evening after his victory, Harald called for Eadwin to appear. The lord of the North did not comply. Instead he fled to the north and once again raised the flag of rebellion. For most of the Saxon nobility, it was an annoyance and a nuisance, not a true rebellion. In fact, Gyrth, former rebel though he was, agreed to march north in support of Harald against the rebel Yorkists. Throughout 1074, Eadwin traveled the North and attempted to gain allies in his struggle. By January 1075, Eadwin had raised around 1100 men and marched south, seeking once more to remove the Viking invader from his throne. It would be a decade before the matter would finally put to rest, but the battle itself would be decided by the end of the month as Harald marched his allies to engage the invading rebels.

Shame for Olaf, but hopefully the tournament victory will help put the Saxons in their place. AI do love their annoying revolts, I wish that they were a little more like Victoria 2 rebels, i.e. only rebelling when they think they have a shot of winning or at least making a fight of it.