• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Saithis

Lady of the North Star
106 Badges
Nov 14, 2008
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition
  • Leviathan: Warships
  • Magicka
  • Majesty 2
  • March of the Eagles
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Rome Gold
  • Semper Fi
  • Sengoku
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44 Deluxe Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Warlock 2: Wrath of the Nagas
  • Magicka 2
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Darkest Hour
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Cities in Motion
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Deus Vult
  • Dungeonland
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
Ak4mQ.jpg

I'm breaking from my usual tradition of long, rambling text-based AARs to try something a little more interesting. For those who may or may not be interested, I'm going to lay this out very clearly what this AAR is going to be:

This is a Gameplay only series, specifically, it is a Video Let's Play of my first serious long-term foray into the wonderful Game of Thrones mod. It is my hope to give people a real-time insight into the complexities of the Game of Thrones mod (especially since I gave only a brief taste in the last AARlander) and to make a hopefully enjoyable experience. Do not expect perfect gameplay, for one because I have zero interest in playing "to win" but would rather play to have fun, win or lose.

The series shall start with Lord Ned Stark during Robert's Rebellion, but will not necessarily stick with the Starks. Once I feel I've done everything that is interesting to do with the North, I will likely switch to another character in the same save, and another, to explore more possibilities at all levels of the Game of Thrones ladder and to see just how ahistoric this game gets. I know that I don't have a vast knowledge of Game of Thrones lore so don't expect complicated background stories from me. I will however poke around the more famous families now and then, just to see what they're up to. Who knows what treasures can be dug up...

All videos are recorded in up to 1080p format, so if you're having trouble reading text and your bandwidth permits, you can increase the quality by clicking on the gear in the bottom right of the window. The videos will be embedded here in the forum via YouTube, so there's no need to leave the site. Just click play and hopefully you'll enjoy!

Episode Library:

Last edited:
Episode 1: The Cold North
[video=youtube_share;E6MLHFTr0aA]http://youtu.be/E6MLHFTr0aA[/video]

The first episode is fully uploaded, do feel free to let me know what you think. I'm not particularly used to putting my voice on the internet so I was slightly nervous, but hopefully its interesting enough to catch any interest in the mod and CK2 in general! This is just me diving straight in with Ned Stark and seeing where it takes us.

Looking forward to future episodes!

Thanks!

I've only listened to the first 5 minutes but its really well done. Nicely paced and clear and non of the picture zooming all over the place that some 'lets play' have. Will try and catch the rest when I have a bit of time to concentrate on it

Thanks Loki, I hope it's worth your time. :p

The burning down of Westeros continues as the invincible armies of Ned Stark march into the Crown Lands...but who will win? And just what side are the Lannisters and Greyjoys going to pick in this all-out war for freedom?

Episode 2:
[video=youtube_share;6wHz0jJYk-I]http://youtu.be/6wHz0jJYk-I[/video]

Well now I know what I'll be watching tomorrow when I wake up and get my coffee...Been curious about the mod and it will be great to see it played on video to see how it works. So I look forward to watching it!

Just finished the first video Sai. Its good stuff just as I expected. Got a good chuckle when you seemed surprised that winter was ending in October though :) Westeros's Winters and Summers can last for years, so I guess you weren't kidding when you weren't too sure about the lore of GoT. But like I said great stuff! Going to watch the second video in a little bit.

very enjoyable -easy to follow, could even lure me to try a mod I have had no interest in ...

I will definitely say that whether you like Game of Thrones or not, this is a pretty well-designed and fun mod. It has its strengths and weaknesses that I can immediately see, and I think we'll be touching on the weaknesses before too long. The giant war I'm in the middle of is definitely one of the strengths. It's very tense.

Just finished the first video Sai. Its good stuff just as I expected. Got a good chuckle when you seemed surprised that winter was ending in October though :) Westeros's Winters and Summers can last for years, so I guess you weren't kidding when you weren't too sure about the lore of GoT. But like I said great stuff! Going to watch the second video in a little bit.

I am in the middle of reading "A Game of Thrones" so my lore knowledge is growing slowly. Still, I don't know much about the backstory or the setting, only a taste. I'm quite happy to have you all laugh at my lack of knowledge on the subject, but I'll get there. ;)

The winter coming to an end in October is not a bug. Seasons in Westeros are pretty much non-standard. The winter can last even several years and the same goes for the summer.

Edit: Sorry, I just saw that it was already mentioned here.

Awesomeness Sai. Just watched the second episode...seems Tywin acted out of character and jumped in on the side of the team that is losing. Hopefully he can turn the tide of the war in favor of Robert and the North. Looking forward to the next episode!

And no worries on not knowing much of the backstory, enjoy the books, I know I did still need to read the newest installment though. Hope all is going well in Robert's Rebellion!

Tywin's son is definitely Jayme, not Haime, xD.

Nice LP to watch, you're clear throughout and there isn't really any issue I can see with you not having huge knowledge of the series.

* Oh, there is one thing though. In the Crownlands, those were actually rivers, not roads, there's a bunch of rivers just to the west of King's Landing.

The only thing I can say/recommend is actually just pure game strategy, and that's that the Iron Throne Doomstack has to go. It's a big ask, I know, but they get a ton of warscore from annihilating the smaller stacks your allies are assembling. Either that or you need to siege King's Landing since it's Aerys' capital. Taking the smaller territories is good and all but they don't add up to a substantial amount of warscore.

The winter coming to an end in October is not a bug. Seasons in Westeros are pretty much non-standard. The winter can last even several years and the same goes for the summer.

Edit: Sorry, I just saw that it was already mentioned here.

Yeah, that's pretty much the first comment everyone made. ;)

Awesomeness Sai. Just watched the second episode...seems Tywin acted out of character and jumped in on the side of the team that is losing. Hopefully he can turn the tide of the war in favor of Robert and the North. Looking forward to the next episode!

And no worries on not knowing much of the backstory, enjoy the books, I know I did still need to read the newest installment though. Hope all is going well in Robert's Rebellion!

It's because he sensed the power of my own dear Ned Stark, and that whatever happened Stark was somehow going to win the war. ;) I'm enjoying the books thus far and I'm not worried about the backstory per se, just don't be afraid when I make foolish notes such as the winter comment!

Tywin's son is definitely Jayme, not Haime, xD.

Nice LP to watch, you're clear throughout and there isn't really any issue I can see with you not having huge knowledge of the series.

* Oh, there is one thing though. In the Crownlands, those were actually rivers, not roads, there's a bunch of rivers just to the west of King's Landing.

The only thing I can say/recommend is actually just pure game strategy, and that's that the Iron Throne Doomstack has to go. It's a big ask, I know, but they get a ton of warscore from annihilating the smaller stacks your allies are assembling. Either that or you need to siege King's Landing since it's Aerys' capital. Taking the smaller territories is good and all but they don't add up to a substantial amount of warscore.

Yeah, I already started using the J, picked up on that one. xP Your strategy tip has already been well noted (I've played about 4 episodes in advance at this point, due to not having enough time to film until midway next week, probably) and I started figuring out a good opportunity to take out Aerys' army. The North isn't exactly short on troops despite men lost sieging, and I could probably do it without the Lannisters given time and opportunity. With the Lannisters it's very very feasible, which is why I was so happy to see them in the war. By the time my troops arrived in the south, most of my allies were already dead, limiting my options.

I'm uploading the next episode now as we speak.

Fell asleep while uploading, but the next episode is indeed up!

[video=youtube;FqkLJ1PpB04]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqkLJ1PpB04[/video]

Tywin Lannister and Eddard Stark unite to face Aerys Targaryen. Who will win?

I've seen the first episode. I admit I was more interested to see it from a modder making another CK2 overhaul perspective lol. It was pretty interesting overall, I'll try to make time to watch the rest too hehe.

I've seen the first episode. I admit I was more interested to see it from a modder making another CK2 overhaul perspective lol. It was pretty interesting overall, I'll try to make time to watch the rest too hehe.

As I'm working on my own CK2 overhaul, it's been a very interesting trip for me as well. There's a lot of new mechanics and I really want to get digging into the scripting side of it sometime soon, seeing what they've done to make it tick.

Florents taking over the Reach!!!
Well, they are related to the Gardener kings, so I guess they have a better claim than the Tyrrels.

I have it on good authority that the Florents have a legitimate claim on the Reach, but why or who they are I have no idea. It should be interesting seeing how it turns out, from anyone's perspective!

all enjoyable stuff .. utterly clueless as to who is what, but its fun to watch

You too? :D I'm glad you've enjoyed it thus far.

Next episode is going up tomorrow, I had a nice long break to sort stuff out and from here on I will be updating my YT at least once a day (so at worst expect AGOT every other day from then on).

Episode 4:
[video=youtube;MJh76ZU_aqU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJh76ZU_aqU[/video]

The War of the Usurper may have ended, but the battle is not over. Ned Stark returns home to put a stop to rebellious vassals, but he knows to show caution: winter is coming.