• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
France is certainly being a problem. Still, good work on knocking everyone down several pegs.

Rather fun premise for a AAR, I'm in. Anyways, why haven't you liberated more of Poland yet, or is that to do with its cores on Belarus-Ruthenia-Ukrain?

Rather fun premise for a AAR, I'm in. Anyways, why haven't you liberated more of Poland yet, or is that to do with its cores on Belarus-Ruthenia-Ukrain?
It's mostly to keep it at a manageable size. A country cannot be made a puppet if it holds more than 3 states, so if a full-sized Poland had a revolution, I would not be able to re-puppet it. And of course being bigger would make it easier for Poland (or any other puppet for that matter) to accumulate enough industrial and military score to rise to Great Power status and become free in this way.

Chapter 14, in which Germany goes on holiday to France

May 1863

Oman accepts the inevitable and agrees to cede the Kenyan coast to Germay.

French attack our first line forces in Metz, which shapes up to be the first major battle of the war.

June 1863

War score now at 8%. We control 1 out of 13 provinces in Dutch Moluccas.

We finish research into Inorganic Chemistry and switch to Business Regulations next, due to be completed in February next year.

Battle of Metz is won:

metz jun 1863.PNG

We have a 2-million strong movement calling for introduction of minimum wage, which has become radical enough that our politicials enact a social reform. Low health care is an obvious choice. I like population growth more than minimum wages.

July 1863

War score now at 21%, and we hold 2 out of Moluccas' 13 provinces.

French armies seem to be moving south for some reason. The mass of German armies thus cautiously advances into French territory.

Another big battle seems to be developing in Besancon. The French also attack German troops standing in Arlon, in neutral Belgian territory. Both battles receive reinforcements from the second line.

August 1863

War score now at 23%, and we control 3 out of 13 provinces in the Moluccas.

We invent Integral Distillery Process, which slightly increases liquor production.

Battle of Arlon ends with an even more decisive German victory:

arlon aug 1863.PNG

Now that's what I call a good casualty ratio. With the French beaten up as they are and few visible reinforcements, I decide to pursue them with the intent of destroying this force.

Battle of Besancon becomes another French defeat:

besancon aug 1863.PNG

Again I feel confident enough to pursue the retreating French.

France offers to give Germany the Moluccas. I'm pleasantly surprised to see that the war score has more than doubled since the beginning of the month, probably as a result of the battles we won, and now stands at 51%. France however has 177 regiments, and I'd rather continue to press advantage until it loses a good number of these, so their offer is rejected.

After winning some additional minor battles, German troops reach Paris.

September 1863

War score now at 61%. We hold 5 out of 13 provinces in Moluccas. France down to 164 regiments, still too many for my taste.

We conquer Paris.

October 1863

War score now at 78%. We control 6 out of 13 provinces in the Moluccas, but France is up to 183 regiments. This is to be expected, as they are still mobilising. Fortunately, France throws these regiments into counterattacks, for which Germany is well prepared; I keep a cohesive first and second line of troops as much as possible, to be ever ready to reinforce these battles.

Germany signs the Geneva Convention.

French troops are moving through Sardinia-Piedmont, and may then go all the way around Switzerland and attack Germany from the south. I send some troops of my own to Bavaria to counter this. On balance, this is not a threat; France is conveniently removing its forces from the main front line in France itself, where we are advancing quite rapidly.

November 1863

War score now at 89%; 7 out of 13 Moluccan provinces occupied; France up to 187 regiments.

This falls to 166 when a French force is finally destroyed in battle of Rouen. I think it took 3 battles to wipe it out completely.

I get careless, and France manages to send several corps through gaps in our lines. German losses are also mounting, and a truce with Scandinavia has just expired; I contemplate ending the war, but decide against it. France must be brought to its knees so that Germay may feel safe.

December 1863

War score now at 94%, 8 out of 13 Moluccan provinces taken, and France down to 171 regiments.

We invent Artificial Fertilisers, which increase farming output and fertiliser production output.

I pass another party reform: no more gerrymandering shenanigans, but every voting card must have the voter's name written on it.

January 1864

War score now at 100%, 9 out of 13 Moluccan provinces occupied, France down to 160 regiments. It was a good decision to keep the war going; the French are bleeding much more badly now than we are.

Germany's form of government changes to a bog standard HM's Government.

February 1864

War score still at 100%, still 9 out of 13 Moluccan provinces occupied. French army however lost a third of its size during the month just past, and is now down to 108 regiments, some of which must be dispersed among their colonies; I can for example see at least 10 French brigades taking the fight to the British in Guyana, in South America.

We finish researching Business Regulations and switch to Business Banks next, due to be completed in November.

March 1864

War score and Moluccan campaign unchanged since last month; but France now down to 61 brigades. I believe they have no regular troops left in Europe.

We invent Empirical Combat Efficiency Matrix, which increases army organisation, and Pragmatism, which grants a small amount of prestige.

And it is in this newfound pragmatic spirit that peace with France is signed. Germany acquires Moluccas as a result, and can at last demobilise.

A quick look at the Crises map shows that no trouble is brewing anywhere except in Venetia, which the Venetian liberation movement wishes to be reunited with Venice. Should this crisis erupt, Germany will naturally support the aspirations of its Minion. For now, Germany releases Danzig (which I really should remember to not do - I realise after the fact that it holds a Naval Base), and begins manufacturing a war justification to Acquire a State from Scandinavia.

------------------------

Chapter 15, in which Germany's navy has its first major engagement

While all this exciting fighting was taking place, Germany's economy was in fact suffering from neglect. We were losing close to 1000 pounds per day during the war; fortunately, the state budget returns to surplus after demobilisation. Pockets of genuine deprivation appear among poor and middle strata, and much of the population lives rather austere lives, only being able to afford the basic life necessities:

1864 budget.PNG

As a result, hundreds of people emigrate from Germany each month. Despie this, our workforce is now growing by over 20 thousand per month, or over a quarter of a million per year.

Factories too are rather slow to fill with workers; frequent mobilisations couldn't have helped. Fortunately, they are mostly profitable.

Just as an experiment, I remove the last of the tariffs. Budget oscillates between gaining hundreds and losing hundreds every week or so, and stays roughly level overall. This is fine, since in a few months I will be able to more effectively squeeze taxes out of the population.

April 1864

Our war justification against Scandinavia is discovered, giving Germany 9.4 infamy, which now stands at a total of 23.14.

May 1864

We invent Limited Partnership Company, which increases tax efficiency slightly.

Lubeck rejoins Germany.

All Great Powers except Germany and United Kingdom are now Friendly with Austria.

June 1864

We invent Joint Stock Company, which increases tax efficiency further.

Danzig rejoins Germany.

Electoral campaign starts.

September 1864

We discover Catalytic Fermentative Process, which increases wine production, and Food Packing System, which increases canned food production.

We speak in favor of as little Pluralism as possible in an electoral debate.

Frankfurt am Main rejoins Germany.

November 1864

We complete research of Business Banks and switch to Private Bank Money Bill Printing, due to be completed in July next year.

We speak strongly in favor of Protectionism, the feelings of free trade supporters be damned. Their increased militancy is put to good use, as it allows us to introduce a proportional representation voting system.

December 1864

Liberals win the elections for the first time. The Reactionaries get to form the government regardless.

January 1865

The Acquire State casus belli against Scandinavia is ready. We start working on a Liberate Country casus belli against them, and release Lubeck and Frankfurt am Main to keep infamy under control.

March 1865

The latest war justification is discovered, giving Germany 6.2 infamy and bringing its total to 18.36.

April 1865

Bremen rejoins Germany.

The neglect of industry shows again. There are several regiments scheduled to be raised in the colonies, which remain queued due to lack of canned food. On the other hand, we overproduce machine parts so much that all factories of this type are going out of business.

June 1865

We complete the Liberate Country casus belli against Scandinavia, and start working on a Free People one after releasing Bremen to lower our infamy. It's just as well that we did, as this is discovered within weeks and gives Germany 6.9 infamy, bringing its total to 20.01. Without releasing Bremen, our infamy would have crossed the 25 points limit, even if only by a hair.

I declare war on Scandinavia with the demand to Acquire the State of Gotaland. Unfortunately, this costs so much war score that I will only be able to enforce one additional war goal later.

July 1865

We invent Patent, which reduces factory cost, and Whitney and Colt's Standardised Small Arms, which increases small arms production.

We complete research of Private Bank Money Bill Printing and switch to Steam Turbine next, due to be completed in June next year.

We win a battle against a small Scandinavian detachment which has been guarding Malmo. This allows us to add a second war goal: to Liberate the Country of Iceland.

Scandinavian fleet attacks a freshly built Ironclad, which was on his maiden voyage from Danzig to the rally point in Kiel. We rush the remaining ships to reinforce; by now, we have 10 more of them, all ironclads as well.

August 1865

War score at 2%.

We invent Capital for Investors, which reduces factory cost.

We win the naval battle, sinking 13 out of 16 Scandinavian ships for the loss of one German ironclad.

September 1865

The main Scandinavian army engages our troops in Boras. They have 16 regiments, and the whole German invasion force gangs up on them. The results are bad for the Swedish regular army:

boras sep 1865.PNG

although in fairness, one of the German corps got quite mauled too.

October 1865

War score now at 24% and we control 6 out of Gotaland's 7 provinces, enough for the ticking war score to start accumulating.

German troops reach Stockholm.

We reform Germany's state-provided health care to be Acceptable, the world's first.

Scandinavia's regular army is destroyed in a battle of Falun. The bulk of Scandinavia's mobilised army is currently being destroyed in the battle of Goteborg.

November 1865

We invent Nitroglycerin, which greatly increases mining output and slightly increases production of explosives. More importantly, this allows Germany to build the Kiel Canal, which we do immediately.

Stockholm falls, bringing war score to 70%. Our demands are valued at 78, and Scandinavia would not accept them yet. However, by the end of the month they change their mind and come asking for peace on Germany's terms, which we duly accept.

Wow, this is one huge Iceland:

huge iceland.PNG

It only has a core on the island of Iceland itself, but receives the whole Iceland and Greenland state. Jan Mayen in the upper right corner is of course an independent country, but the Faroe Islands in the lower right corner are part of Iceland as well.

December 1865

With all German troops back in German territory, I release a new Minion: Sweden. Iceland too will become one once they are made Germany's puppet. I order our transport fleet to sail halfway around the world from Indonesia to Oldenburg, where it will in due course pick up invasion troops. But I fell no need to rush this project, as I notice an opportunity elsewhere.

------------------------

Chapter 16, in which Germany sets some of Poland mostly free

Our truce with Russia has expired, and I notice that they are allied to Krakow. This is great, as I can drag them into war by attacking Krakow and keep France, Russia's other ally, out of the conflict. Even better, Krakow's other ally is Austria, which I intend to carve up some more in some as yet to be determined way. I release Hamburg and begin manufacturing an Acquire State casus belli against Russia straight away.

...which is discovered days later, giving Germany 10.4 infamy and bringing the total to 20.14.

April 1866

We introduce Good health care system across Germany.

May 1866

Hamburg rejoins Germany.

We complete research of Steam Turbine and switch to Late Classical Theory next, due to be completed in November. We could have researched it right back in 1836, so this theory is indeed Late - 30 years late, to be specific.

June 1866

Germany runs a substantial surplus of some 1500 pounds per day, so I lower taxes for poor and middle strata; the rich live up to their name and do just fine being taxed at 100%. We still run a surplus of 600 pounds afterwards.

July 1866

We invent Liquidation of Assets, which reduces factory cost.

October 1866

We invent Double Standard, which sounds hypocritical but increases tax efficiency, and Distribution Channels, which slightly decrease factory cost and greatly increase farming output.

Scandinavia loses Great Power status, while Switzerland gains it and breaks out of Germany's sphere of influence as a result.

We gain the Acquire State casus belli against Russia and begin working on a Liberate Country one, after releasing Hamburg and Anhalt.

We introduce Limited safety regulations, to replace the previously used Minimal ones.

November 1866

We (finally) complete research of Late Classical Theory and switch to Scientific Management next, due to be completed in June next year.

December 1866

Our Liberate Country casus belli against Russia is discovered, giving Germany another 6.7 infamy for a total of 15.86.

January 1867

We add Denmark to Germany's sphere of influence, thus making it a true Minion.

Lubeck rejoins Germany.

March 1867

We invent Rubber Vulcanisation, which greatly increases rubber output. Great, except what is this rubber thing? Perhaps we could invent that too.

Our Liberate Country casus belli against Russia is complete, and we begin to manufacture a Free People one.

I notice that I have a truce with Krakow, which expires in September. Germany's first war justification against Russia expires a month later, which will not give us enough time to justify a war against Krakow. So there will be another war on two fronts after all. I shift the majority of my army to the French border; I have many Minions in the east which can fight Russia for me.

June 1867

Our Free People casus belli against Russia is discovered, giving Germany 3.8 infamy for a total of 19.21.

We complete research of Scientific Management and switch to Time-saving Measures next, due to be completed in June next year.

July 1867

Hamburg rejoins Germany and goes bankrupt the very next day, despite no longer existing.

August 1867

We invent Quality Assurance Procedure, which increases factory output.

Our Free People casus belli against Russia is complete. I check and double-check that we will be able to enforce all three war goals.

September 1867

We invent Ammunition Area Effect Calculations, which increase army organisation and supply consumption.

Truce with Russia expires, and we declare war on them demanding the state of Latvia. We call most of our Minions and also United Kingdom and Switzerland, which both join our side; France and Krakow join Russia's side. We start with a decent advantage:

1867 rus war start.PNG

and begin hostilities by destroying a small Russian detachment in Plock, which gives us enough war score to introduce a second war goal, the liberation of the parts of Poland still under Russian control.

October 1867

War score now at 12% following some early occupations.

Belgium's army hangs by a thread in the battle of Lille:

lille oct 1867.PNG

where they were attacked by a French army twice their size, and inflicted on it about three times the losses the Belgians have sustained.

November 1867

War score now at 15%. We control 3 out of Latvia's 6 provinces, and 7 out of 11 Poland's contested provinces.

I add the third and last war goal, asking Russia to return the province of Kiev to Ukraine.

December 1867

War score now at 27%. We hold 5 out of 6 provinces in Latvia, 11 out of 13 in contested Poland, and none yet in Kiev where several occupations are still ongoing.

We invent John Stuart Mill, who gives prestige, and Jiggs, which increase the output of all types of furniture.

January 1868

War score now at 46%. We control 5 out of 6 provinces in Latvia, 10 out of 11 in contested Poland and 4 out of 7 in Kiev. Our demands are valued at 76 war score, so we are still some way off.

February 1868

War score now at 55%. Out of our war goals, only one province in Kiev remains to be conquered. Russia would not accept peace yet though.

Slovakia causes a crisis by demanding independence from Austria. We would love to support their ambition, but cannot due to being at war. No other Great Power takes Slovakia's side, and the crisis fizzles out.

March 1868

War score now at 61%. We controll all the disputed territories. Russia refuses peace talks.

German troops reach St Petersburg, and conquer it by the end of the month.

April 1868

War score now at 67%. For some reason Germany's demands are now valued at 82, and Russia continues to reject them.

May 1868

War score now at 70%. Russia still will not accept peace on Germany's terms.

The French meanwhile keep attacking a British force trying to occupy Lille, and a Swiss force trying to occupy Epinal. Both of these occupations are right in front of German troops, which remain deployed at the German and Belgian border; we reinforce both battles as needed, and bleed the attacking French white time after time.

June 1868

War score now at 76%, still not enough for Russia to accept German demands.

We complete research of Time-saving Measures and switch to Collectivist Theory, due to be completed in January next year.

July 1868

War score now at 80%, still not enough for Russia to accept German terms.

...and then Switzerland signs a separate peace with Russia. Much of their country has been occupied by the French; with this no longer being the case, German war score jumps to 83%. Russia would now accept all our demands, although we don't propose peace yet; the French forces previously conquering Switzerland are now freed to impale themselves at the German lines, which they promptly do in several places.

August 1868

War score now at 85%, and Russia finally offers peace on Germany's terms. We accept, and release Latvia as an independent nation.

We invent Chemical Wood Pulp Process, which increases production of paper.

Work on an Acquire State casus belli against Austria begins immediately.

------------------------

Freeing Latvia makes me happy. As does convincing french forces to lemming themselves into yours.