• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
great job! this restoration is going almost...too smoothly

Reactions:
And after Jerusalem? Hellenize Egypt! And after that- reclaim the West Rome

• 1Like
Reactions:
Another successful war and it looks as though Jerusalem will be reclaimed. Judicious picking apart of the fatamids! A Doukas succeeding - pinch me! 1 year old Gregorios already hates his grandfather. Now, Konstantinos X has to survive to his maturity. I think, it's "Warning, Regency ahead!"

No worries, that's not the heir. He's the son of the Konstantinos' second son. The third son was the first born in the purple, and is busy ruling Blachernae.

great job! this restoration is going almost...too smoothly

It's kind of weird. But I'm sure some kind of disaster will strike. Or I'll end up with a humble content ruler or something.

And after Jerusalem? Hellenize Egypt! And after that- reclaim the West Rome

Fight our Christian brothers? Sure, they're a bit sundered, but there are better ways. (says the Emperor that was born 50 years before the Great Schism. Future ones may not feel so kindly).

Reactions:
5. War, Wars, and Half a War
Konstantinos X gathered his armies and sent them to the Levant. The lands rebelling against the Fatimids could not stand before Konstantinos' forces. But neither could they stand against the Fatimid armies. While Acre fell the the Empire, Jerusalem fell to the Fatimids. Konstantios attempted a simulatenous strike on the main Fatimid army from two of his forces.

5-1.png

It was a great success.

5-2.png

The Empire's armies were quickly able to conquer Jerusalem and all nearby holdings for themselves. As soon as they had, the Emir surrendured.

5-3.png

The Empire had reclaimed the Duchy of Jerusalem, and had seized lands from some minor rulers in Syria who had also been rebelling against the Fatimids.

5-4.png

The lands were distributed, the armies sent home. The Patriarchy of Jerusalem restored to its authority.

5-5.png

Time passed. The armies recovered. More cataphracts were recruited. And the last county on Sicily not held by the Empire came under the control of Tripoltania. Konstantinos knew to not waste the opportunity.

5-6.png

Victory was swift and overwhelming.

5-7.png

The county was given to the duke of Sicily. When the armies had recovered, Konstantios declared war to recover Napoli from the heathens.

5-8.png

The Zirid Sultinate was a weak one, so Konstantios sent only his own forces. Sure enough, the Zirids were quickly driven to surrender. Once the cataphracts were recovered, Konstantinos declared war against the Pechengs.

5-9.png

And in the midst of this war, he received a grave injury, one that led to his death.

5-10.png

Last edited:
  • 1Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
And not a moment too soon. That 'go and attack a small nearby Muslim kingdom and crush them' thing was getting repetitive to write about.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Nice. So much going on! I thus expect another update as soon as possible. ;)

And not a moment too soon. That 'go and attack a small nearby Muslim kingdom and crush them' thing was getting repetitive to write about.

Small muslim kingdoms aren't really worth noting. I'd suggest only noting land gained at the end of your post, and possibly if you attack a fatimid or seljuk revolter, and also if you attack a particular muslim or group repeatedly in succession. In other words something like: Oh I attacked some muslims in Sicily, or I gobbled up some Fatimid revolters in area X or I holy warred for duchies Alexandria, Damietta, and Cairo...

Good updates lately. Any particular justification for attack Jerusalem or are you just letting your inner Roman out? Whats the date? It bugs me when I don't know what the date is, cause I want to feel superior if I have more land than you at that date in my campaign. What's your direct vassal map look like, because I've never seen it look less than disgusting. I have a king I can't get rid off, and numerous other kings have blobs of land in inappropriate spots. They don't seem to like to war for their dejure and instead keep attacking hungary.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Konstantios III inherits a good position. He's a good army. Did Konstantinos X conquer Tripolitania? What motivates Konstantios III? Does he seek to restore the 5 Patriarchs of Orthodoxy?

The year is 1085 or 6.

Good restoration of Jerusalem to the EMpire. No need for barbaric westerners!

• 1Like
Reactions:
Nice. So much going on! I thus expect another update as soon as possible. ;)

In about 5-10 minutes. From when I write this, not from when you ask. :p

Small muslim kingdoms aren't really worth noting. I'd suggest only noting land gained at the end of your post, and possibly if you attack a fatimid or seljuk revolter, and also if you attack a particular muslim or group repeatedly in succession. In other words something like: Oh I attacked some muslims in Sicily, or I gobbled up some Fatimid revolters in area X or I holy warred for duchies Alexandria, Damietta, and Cairo...

Good updates lately. Any particular justification for attack Jerusalem or are you just letting your inner Roman out? Whats the date? It bugs me when I don't know what the date is, cause I want to feel superior if I have more land than you at that date in my campaign. What's your direct vassal map look like, because I've never seen it look less than disgusting. I have a king I can't get rid off, and numerous other kings have blobs of land in inappropriate spots. They don't seem to like to war for their dejure and instead keep attacking hungary.

You know, I had actually intended to edit all those together, but then the death happened and I forgot. As for attacking Jerusalem, I should have been more clear in describing the character motives. In this case, it was zealousness causing him to seek to restore the Patriarchy of Jerusalem. I've gone and put dates into the next update, and will try to remember to include those in the future.

Edit: and here's my vassal map. The realms map in the next post should help make sense of it.
vassals1085.png

Long live Konstantios III, crush your enemies and reclaim Roman throne

Drive them before me and hear the lamentation of their women! Yes!

Konstantios III inherits a good position. He's a good army. Did Konstantinos X conquer Tripolitania? What motivates Konstantios III? Does he seek to restore the 5 Patriarchs of Orthodoxy?

The year is 1085 or 6.

Good restoration of Jerusalem to the EMpire. No need for barbaric westerners!

He did not conquer Tripolitania. It's not part of one the patriarchies, nor is it de jure part of the Empire. His goals (again, which I should have described better) were zealous in nature: restore any patriarchies held by heathens or heretics, and reclaim any de jure land of the Empire held by the same. He died just before it would have become relevant, but he would not have considered Catholics heathens. The Great Schism began when he was 50, after all.

Last edited:
Reactions:
6. The Ill-Ruler
This was Emperor Konstantinos X. He was born in 1006 and began ruling the Empire in 1059.

6-1.png

Early in his reign, he nearly led the Empire into complete disaster, earning himself the epithat of 'Ill-Ruler'. But he eventually began to rule sensibly. His accomplishments included:

Establishing a core force of cataphracts for the Empire.

6-2.png

Expanding his family's personal holdings.

6-3.png

Increasing taxes on the cities.

6-4.png

Expanding the reach of the Empire via holy wars against heathens.

6-5.png

Correcting the heresies of many of in Anatolia.

6-6.png

And increasing the value of new learning in the Empire.

6-7.png

However, he never succeeded in saving much money. He truly was an indulgent wastrel.

On October 8, 1085, he died and was succeeded by his third son, Konstantios III.

6-8.png

Last edited:
  • 1Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Of all the epithets one could have, "The Ill-Ruler" has to be one of the least pleasant.

Reactions:
Of all the epithets one could have, "The Ill-Ruler" has to be one of the least pleasant.

True. But from my quick wikipedia research at the beginning of the last AAR, he rather deserved it. Sure, I turned things around a little once I got control, but Konstantinos made quite a mess of the Empire.

Reactions:
7. A Heathen Assault
This was Emperor Konstantios III. He had become Emperor on October 8, 1085.
7-1.png

Like his father before him, he was zealous. He was also humble, though prone to great anger. When he inherited the throne, his father's war against the Pechenegs was still raging. But it was quickly finished. While the armies recovered, Konstantios focused on his court, including resisting temptation.
7-2.png

Allowing the armies to recover was fortunate, for the Fatimids declared war. During the war, Empress Sophia bore a daughter, the first child of Konstanios to be born in the purple. Little Anastasia was first in line for the throne.

The war itself was going well. One army in the north gathered and began seizing isolated Fatimids territories,
7-3.png

while a second army in the south devastated Fatimid holdings.
7-4.png

As a large Fatimid army appeared in the vicinity of Jerusalem, and the northern army prepared to move to avoid it. But the Fatimid force inexplicably moved south after conquering a bare minimum of territory. The northern army quickly moved to reclaim it. Meanwhile, the southern army had conquered much, but consumption in Alexandria had been devastating to their numbers. And then the Fatimid army arrived before them. They prepared to retreat to their ships, but not before they had conquered everything they could.
7-5.png

The armies used the fleet to avoid the Fatimid force, which seemed content to march off into conquered territory. They began sieging the Nile delta, and failed to notice the Fatimid army (now itself devastated by consumption) had turned back. Battle was joined.
7-6.png

The Fatimid's drive to battle resulted in disaster for them. Their army was defeated.
7-7.png

The fleeing men were followed and beaten again and again. This was too much for the Caliph, who surrendered on 8 September 1087.
7-8.png

The reparations from the war were enough to satisfy Konstantios' ambition to save wealth (a goal his father had never achieved, but Konstantios was a much better steward of his possessions). But he was furious! Heathens had dared to attack the greatest stronghold of true orthodox Christianity! While he returned the armies home to recover, he plotted his revenge.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
As XRW the one who reminded me I can break truces (without as bad effects as in EU3), I'd like to name the coming campaign after him. Someone want to cook up a Greek backronym I can use? Christianos is probably a good first word, but I've no clue from there.

• 1Like
Reactions:
As XRW the one who reminded me I can break truces (without as bad effects as in EU3), I'd like to name the coming campaign after him. Someone want to cook up a Greek backronym I can use? Christianos is probably a good first word, but I've no clue from there.

Fatimidoktonos

or

Kalifoktonos

Think Basil II Boulgaroktonos

Reactions:

It is truly an honor. I am forever the most stalwart enemy of the heathens. Let their dead mangled corpses be my memorial.

Looking forward to next update...whenever it's coming. Maybe Christmas?

Edit. There's a method around truces with catholic leaders, if you have enough money. Just keep assassinating them. I took over England in about 6 years via this method.

PS. I hope the patch doesn't de-rail your game. The nerf to the Imperial Reconquest CB is rather harsh.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Fatimidoktonos

or

Kalifoktonos

Think Basil II Boulgaroktonos

I should have explained more clearly. I wanted something that would come out to XRW. I was able to hack something together, though I suspect anyone who knows the slightest bit of Greek will cringe at it.

It is truly an honor. I am forever the most stalwart enemy of the heathens. Let their dead mangled corpses be my memorial.

Looking forward to next update...whenever it's coming. Maybe Christmas?

Edit. There's a method around truces with catholic leaders, if you have enough money. Just keep assassinating them. I took over England in about 6 years via this method.

PS. I hope the patch doesn't de-rail your game. The nerf to the Imperial Reconquest CB is rather harsh.

For the record, all items in the next update are from actual in-game events, and not based on your words here. Wrathful leaders are not nice.

And I'm going to have to do some testing with the patch. Because of the converters, I keep old copies of my install around, so it'd be easy enough to continue this with 1.07b if I don't like the changes.

Reactions:
8. The Χριστιανός ρυπαρός υιοθεσία
Emperor Konstantios III had beaten back an attack by the Fatimids. During the Triumph (a small one to honor the soldiers, Konstantios was humble about his own role), Konstatios was fuming. That heathens would attack the bastion of true Christianity infuriated him. While the Cataphracts recovered, he stirred up the peoples. He explained how the heathens were misled and far from God, wicked in their sin, but eagerly waiting to be adopted into the family of God and redeemed. He described how their leaders had failed them, and how Christian leaders must be set in place (the old leaders being severely punished, of course). The people were moved by this, and eager to go to war. Later historians would refer to these wars as the Χριστιανός ρυπαρός υιοθεσία (XRW) - The Christian Adoption of the Wicked. Though the bodies recovered from Konstantios' dungeons after his death would make them wonder as to the actual motivations behind the wars. Several of the bodies had displayed signs of torture, and many of the prisoners had languished for decades.

While the armies prepared, Empress Sophia bore Konstantios a son. He was named Konstantinos after so many Emperors before. Being born in the purple, he was heir, ahead of all his other siblings.

8-1.png

On Christ's Mass, 1088, Kostantios began the campaign against the Fatimids. He conquered Ascalon, Damascus, and Sinai in three swift wars.

On break from campaigning, he married his sister to the King of Leon, who asked him to help in a war against heathens in Iberia. Konstantios agreed to help, and sent the cataphracts to Iberia.

8-2.png

While they were away, there was a large explosion in the docks on Constantinople. Konstantios opened an investigation and discovered the explosion was from the stocks of Greek fire, and that the formula for creating more had been lost. It seemed that pirates had stolen the formula for the Greek fire. Konstantios sent in a fleet to regain it. The fleet captured the wife of the pirate leader, and soon enough, a letter proposing an exchange was found nailed to the palace gate. Furious at the pirate leader, Konstantios used the exchange as an opportunity to ambush him. The exchange was straightforward, the formula was recovered, but the ambush failed. This was a disappointing conclusion to the affair.

8-3.png

Konstantios used this time away from the campaigns to study St. Augustine's confessions, becoming more knowledgeable in the process.

8-4.png

Now, Konstantios was a humble man, and he disliked to see pride in others. Basileios Kometopoulos, the Duke of Armenia, was proud and greedy and held the county of Karin, which was not a part of his duchy. Konstantios arranged a conspiracy against him to take the county of Karin. The Duke refused to just give up the county, so Konstantios declared war. Before the war was over, the Duke had died and his son had inherited the county. Konstantios still took it for his own.

8-5.png

A few peasant revolts were but a minor distraction compared to the Iberian war, the pirates, and the Armenian Humbling. In late 1094, the cataphracts were again positioned against Fatimid lands.

8-6.png

Last edited:
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Ah duchy of Sinai, the festering stinkhole crap-duchy of egypt. Whenever I conquer that I almost wish I could give it back. Your cataphracts looks rather close to the region I specifically told you to conquer.

Only 3000? You're limited by money I assume.

Χριστιανός ρυπαρός υιοθεσία (XRW) - The Christian Adoption of the Wicked
LOL. XRW is technically short for XRW175P6MQ4 but I doubt that helps.

Good to hear about the back up installs. Roman Reconquest needed nerfing but they nerfed a bit to hard IMO.

Reactions: