• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
A good scene. So things are going well against the Turk. Now how about those Persians?

Are you sure it's wise to fight Batman Myth? :p
Very nice graphics, looking forward to more :) .

coz1 said:
A good scene. So things are going well against the Turk. Now how about those Persians?

Considering that they have weaker army and they face Vacieti I suppose they situation is even more miserable. Also almost all you characters drink Myth, better change that or else censorship will not let it trough. Remember...
cccpussrposter8hs1.jpg

This early scramble does have the advantage of denying Germany several of its cores, like annexing the Czechs before the Treaty of Munich. Should make it easier to bleed them white on the time comes.

VILenin said:
This early scramble does have the advantage of denying Germany several of its cores, like annexing the Czechs before the Treaty of Munich. Should make it easier to bleed them white on the time comes.

These events wouldn`t fire anyway, because Germany makes early wars.

Funny interview guys, that was good.

canonized: indeed, my push into Turkey seems to be going quite well so far.

Berrrie: the technology is old, but the doctrine is not! :D

Erkki1: thanks! always good to have more readaars! :D

coz1: you'll see how the Persian Front has been doing next update...;)

General Jac: not even Batman could stop an entire cavalry corps! and thanks! :D

Edzako: its the stress of the job, Stalin wants them to do everything with insufficient resources and underpromoted generals ;)

VILenin: well, actually part of our mod is that we don't have events (other than random and secret weapon events), but I added in all of Germany's (and the Soviet Union's) cores in the scenario .inc files. so yeah, he's getting his cores.

Edzako: if the events were turned on, this would be true, yes :p

Incognitia: I know, imagine...! :eek:

grayghost: thanks! we wanted to have fun with it without telling too much :D

update tomorrow, guys! as I've let slip, we'll be visiting Persia again for the update.

30 Kilometers west of Rasht, 3000 meters in the air
January 27, 1936

Colonel General—no, Field Marshal—Vacietis glared out the window down at the great expanse of mountainous between Kirovabad and Tabriz. The advance across the Zagros Mountains was taking longer than anticipated. Additionally, communications had more or less broken down with the eastern half of his invasion force due to the incredibly poor Persian infrastructure—poor despite the presence of the German company Siemens in the country. This only reinforced his belief, which he had held from his experience during the First World War and onward, that the Germans were inefficient and generally incapable of doing anything right. Thus he was currently several thousand meters above the ground, flying about in a little air transport plane. Vacietis looked about him; perhaps transport plane was an overstatement, it was a glorified scout plane. Its sole advantage was that it could land virtually anywhere, his pilot assuring him that he could even land on the spires of the Kremlin if his pilot was skilled enough. Vacietis had doubts concerning this claim.

The last radio transmission he had had from the eastern prong revealed that Petrushevskij's cavalry had reached Rasht on the southern Caspian Sea coast and was attacking toward Teheran into relatively heavy Persian defenses. The Persian commander was, judging from intercepted transmissions, to be Lieutenant General Nizamshah, a Great War-era general who specialized in the defense. Petrushevskij had reported that not only was Nizamshah holding well but that he was even advancing toward Rasht. Vacietis, who had been speaking directly with Petrushevskij via radio, then heard artillery nearby and before he could complete transmitting his instructions the radio went dead. Vacietis looked out the window again, blinking when he realized that it had already grown dark. Perhaps he had fallen asleep without realizing it, as the Zagros Mountains had also slightly disappeared.

His pilot suddenly called over his shoulder to Vacietis. “Sir! We'll be landing shortly, please strap yourself in and get ready!”

As Vacietis hurried to do so, he had never really trusted airplanes, the airplane dropped, giving his stomach a sickening lurch. He looked out the window again, having prepared himself for the worst, to find the ground rushing up toward him alarmingly fast. At the last moment however, the plane leveled out and then made a landing that was as smooth as it could have possibly been, given the rocky terrain. Slightly wobbly, he immediately unbuckled his harness and stepped out of the airplane to be greeted by his three corps commanders of the eastern prong—Bochenkov, Chernyak and Petrushevskij. Having exchanged salutes briskly, he immediately turned to Petrushevskij, noticing that he was sporting a new, if slight, scar on his cheek.

“What the hell happened?”

Petrushevskij smiled, an act which made the scar pull at the tissue around his mouth, transforming the smile into something quite grim. “I ordered my cavalry to pull back from their assault toward Teheran at about midnight on the 19th, eleven hours after the fighting started. It was bad, my headquarters couldn't handle two cavalry divisions at once whereas the Persians were commanding their units quite easily. My soldiers couldn't make any real headway.”

009-01-FirstBattleforTeheran.png

The first battle for Teheran went badly for Petrushevskij.

Petrushevskij continued his narative. “Unfortunately, the Persians stayed with them as they withdrew and the fighting reached even the command tent as Persian cavalry raided deep behind my withdrawing soldiers. The Persians seemed intent on continuing their own attack and reclaiming Rasht. The fighting went on from when our push toward Teheran started at 1300 on the 19th until the Persians suddenly and somewhat inexplicably gave up at about 0200 on the 21st. Thank goodness, if they had pressed their attack they may have reached Rasht itself. When they pulled back themselves, we followed up to reclaim our lost positions and await reinforcements.”

He nodded toward Bochenkov, who then began speaking. “Chernyak and I arrived with our corps—divisions—very early on the 25th. We immediately decided to attack, and Petrushevkij joined quickly, once he realized that we were indeed pushing toward Teheran. Our problem was the same that Petrushevskij had encountered alone. I commanded the overall attack, and my staff couldn't cover more then one divisional operations effectively. Nevertheless, we attacked.”

009-02-SecondBattleforTeheran.png

The second battle for Teheran, commanded by Bochenkov.

“Petrushevskij had numerical parity with the enemy. We had a two-fold advantage. To be honest, we somewhat simply swamped them with our numbers. It took us until, well, an hour ago actually to break their lines. An hour ago, Petrushevskij's cavalry began exploiting the victory by racing toward Teheran. We expect it to fall soon, sir. And then, we continue southward toward our other objectives.”

Vacietis looked at his watch, which claimed the time to be 2300. He sighed and nodded. “And when do you expect you'll be able to restore communications?”

“Soon, sir. Now that the focus of battle is over, we'll be able to repair our long range communications gear.”

Vacietis ran a hand over his face, pausing it for a moment to rub his eyes. “All right. You know what your roles are, there have been no changes. Esfahan, Bandar Abbas and Babolsar. Southward, as quickly as you can. Good night, I'll be off back to my own corps.”

With that, he threw a salute and before his startled corps commanders would really react, he was back in the airplane and ordering his pilot to take off. He knew that he wasn't needed for the advance on Tabriz as it was likely that the entire Persian army had just been beaten outside Teheran but he also knew he wasn't needed micromanaging the eastern prong, as his subordinates were competent enough to manage everything themselves despite inadequate staffs and enemy resistance. Vacietis sighed. He really did loathe flying.

That's definitely one of the innovative/annoying things about HOI2 about the way command structure and what not was set up . Interesting problems you received here pushing into Iran . I remember when I first converted from Vicky to HOI2 i literally spent like 2 hours separating my 1000 ship armada into managable sizes under several admirals . Same with all my tank divisions . Crazy ! Great update , Mr. Myth and a very cool scout plane there ! XD

Well, it looks like Persia is out of the way, now to finish off those pesky turks, and bulgarians, and...Italians, yeah.

Looks like those Persians gave you penty of trouble there. Numerical superiority won the day but not without a good fight. Here's to victory!

canonized: yes, thanks! :D

grayghost: well, there're still other VP provinces to take before they'd accept a forced puppetation...;)

coz1: yes, trouble indeed. having a lieutenant general would have been useful. anyway, to victory! :D

comment day again, so the next update will be tomorrow!

hey, what are you using in photoshop to get that old photo effect?

rcduggan: actually, its just a copy and paste :D
I discovered it when I was modding HoI2 techs. I thought that the effect had something to do with burn, so I tried that but it didn't work. it seemed like it was halfway there, but not entirely. then I noticed a .psd in gfx\interface\tech called techs_template. and, yup, all you need to do is resize it appropriate, then copy and paste into that. then I save as a .jpg and open that up, use the magic wand to grab all the green around the photo and export it as a transparent image. and...ta-da! :D

The_Carbonater: thanks! :D

update coming up in a bit!

10 Kilometers west of Erzurum
January 24, 1936

Kuznetsov sighed. It was noon and the sun was flogging the hills around Erzurum with unseasonable heat, even for a Mediterranean winter. The past few days had challenged him to the utmost as his staff, which was fit only to command a corps, attempted to retain its tenuous grip on the direction of an entire front. Kuznetsov was becoming afraid that his application of the principles of Deep Operation was failing. Tensing his hand, he realized that he was clutching quite tightly a shot glass full of vodka. He was unsure when he had poured it but he readily availed himself to its special properties and downed it in a gulp. He sighed with satisfaction as his stomach felt the vodka's fire. He could hardly believe it was still January, the campaign already felt so much longer. He shook his head to clear it of such thoughts; the stress was getting to him.

The stress was enough even when his subordinates were victorious; he and his overworked staff had to oversee their forward movements. Dealing with defeat was even more difficult, yet Deev's 2nd Mountain Corps had been stymied at Samsun on the north Turkish coast by a combination of a corps-sized resistance under the command of the defensively-minded Field Marshal Cakmak and naval gunfire from the Turkish navy, which easily closed mountain roads and inflicted heavy casualties when accurate. A nighttime downpour had not made matters any easier, either. Deev had run into the Turkish defenses at about 1800 on the 20th and after eight hours of fighting had decided that he was incapable of breaching the defenses. His troops were tired from the mountain fighting around Trebizond and his staff could barely control a single division, let alone an entire corps.

010-01-BattleforSamsun.png

Deev's first push on Samsun, which resulted in defeat due to heavy Turkish resistance as well as Turkish naval gunfire.

Turkey had been identified by STAVKA as the most important conquest to be made, its only equal Persia, due to its position as the controller of the Bosporus strait. Yet they failed to provide Kuznetsov or any of his subordinates—save Berman, whose role was perhaps one of the most important—with sufficient staff for the task or the authority to create their own such staffs. Kuznetsov had heard rumors that neither Mikhail Tukhachevskij or Kliment Voroshilov actually competent, that they shouldn't belong on STAVKA. He was worried by such rumors, though he was unsure why. Perhaps it was because they acknowledged that they could not oversee more than two simultaneous operations at once; perhaps it was because he despaired of having incompetent men in positions of such power. Perhaps it was because he actually saw evidence of their incompetence, felt its effects every single day.

Beyond the staff inadequacies, STAVKA had bungled in its political assessment of neighboring nations. He knew that Italy declared war, but their power did not reach as far as inland Turkey or the Black Sea. Bulgaria, however, was more worrisome as it could easily mass its forces directly north of Istanbul and, if it allied with Turkey, could easily mount a serious defense of that vital city. STAVKA had failed to recognize such threats. However, early on the 21st Kuznetsov had gotten a call from the foreign minister himself, Maksim Litvinov. He revealed to Kuznetsov news that sent his staff scurrying to come up with new plans; Greece had laid down her bitter relations with Turkey to come to its defense!

010-02-GreeksDeclareWar.png

Greece declared war on the Soviet Union on the 21st of January!

The news had stunned Kuznetsov. If Turkey put aside its own anger toward Greece and an alliance formed, the Greek army could easily move to the aid of the embattled Turkish forces and halt Kuznetsov's already no doubt slowing advance. He had simply stood in silence, holding the telephone receiver and mouthpiece in his hands, as Litvinov repeatedly asked him for confirmation that he received and understood the message. Shaking himself out of his shock, Kuznetsov had replied to the affirmative. Litvinov thanked him, told him that he would attempt to clear the matter up with STAVKA and hope that the Greeks would not do anything unbearably rash. As Litvinov was in the process of hanging up, Kuznetsov had heard him begin to scold Vishinskij.

The news had put Kuznetsov into something of a stupor for the next several days as he simply sat around, too depressed to exercise drastic action. Both he and his staff were grateful that no great changes to the operational plan had to be made during that period, as Kuznetsov doubted that he would have been able to do anything other than sit in a depressed gloom. He felt sure that if the entire situation had fallen apart around him, he could not have been able to effectively control the situation. However, he was beginning to pull out of his helpless state, largely due to the fact that there was no evidence that the Greeks and Turks had begun cooperating.

Kuznetsov was sitting, thinking all these thoughts. When he was depressed he tended toward critical self-analysis and, as usual, was beginning to find himself wanting. At that moment, however, a member of his staff happened to interrupt him, bearing a message from Berman. Kuznetsov snatched it quickly, his eyes eagerly following the words Berman transmitted. His face brightened immediately, his earlier woes forgotten as Berman's news proved good. He had reached Batman after a three hour battle and a three day journey. He had encircled one Turkish division at Van. He encircled it, he attacked it.

010-03-BattleofVan.png

Berman's cavalry attacking the isolated Turkish division at Van.

He encircled it, he attacked it, he destroyed it. The Turks resisted stoutly, commanded by perhaps their most skillful leader, Colonel General Inönu. He was, unlike the majority of compatriots, an attacker rather than a defender. In a battle lasting from noon on the 23rd until 0900 on the 24th, Berman's cavalry crushed his command. Berman immediately turned his cavalry around and threw them toward Gazientep. The Front's rear was clean.

Man, you pretty much get rid of the Persians, and the Greeks take their place. I guess your lucky that this game doesn't have those nasty alliances, otherwise the Greeks, Bulgarians, and Italians could all throw divisions into Turkey and make your life hell...or maybe just annoyed.

I thought i'd never see the day when the Greeks would be joining with the Turks , but I suppose situation dictates .