• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
In Vanilla you can block the straits to cheat the Ottomans, which is what allows safe occupation of European Turkey. It's a hell of expensive yet doable. This is a common tactic in Paradox games when it comes to Greeks/Byzantines vs. Ottomans (thinking of EU3/MEIOU).

In PDM the straits are land connected, but the sick man is otherwise nerfed (I did not try to form Byzantium in PDM but the presence of Balkan events should make it easier).

Actually, I was kinda amazed when I read about the First Balkan War that naval blockades were huge part of Greece's work in that war. There were Bulgaria and Serbia who had relatively big land army and Montenegro with small army but no fleet at all. Greece had smaller army, but they had fleet which was used to blockade Turkish ports. The blockade continued even when they gathered to sign peace treaty the first time (unsuccessfully), so the turks couldn't reinforce their army in Europe.

So this whole story about blockading Marmara and Aegean seas is not just plausible, but historical.

Actually, I was kinda amazed when I read about the First Balkan War that naval blockades were huge part of Greece's work in that war. There were Bulgaria and Serbia who had relatively big land army and Montenegro with small army but no fleet at all. Greece had smaller army, but they had fleet which was used to blockade Turkish ports. The blockade continued even when they gathered to sign peace treaty the first time (unsuccessfully), so the turks couldn't reinforce their army in Europe.

So this whole story about blockading Marmara and Aegean seas is not just plausible, but historical.
I've always wondered about that. The Greek fleet kept the Ottoman Fleet out of the Aegean (beating it back the two times it tried to break out), which means Greeks could land on the islands unopposed and the Ottomans would also have to keep forces in Asia Minor and elsewhere to guard against surprise attacks, but I've never understood how it helped the Bulgarian army - since the Ottomans could presumably send forces over the Sea of Marmara to Thrace (Greek ships could not cross the Dardanelles any more than British ships would be able to, a few years later). It would have helped the Serbs and Montenegrins, since Ottoman forces couldn't be transported anywhere close to their fronts, and also the Greek army fighting in Epirus and Macedonia, but Thrace should have been a different matter.

It's not cheating if it's a remedy of in-game errors. The GPs are supposed to help Greece; instead, they will help the ottomans and those that are willing to actually join on greece's side will ignore the war and eventually enforce their own demands using the warscore you gained without their help. Taking on an enemy 20 times your size (that's after you get some serious colonies) is fine, but having to take on both them and a GP is not just hard, it's impossible. Well, it's impossible unless you get yourself a colonial empire. But I don't like doing stuff that way. I won't cheat by forcing the gps to help me, but I will use the console to break their alliances with the OE. Restarting 20 times to be able to face them alone just because you got lucky is the exact same thing. It's the exact same thing as reloading, except it takes more time. I also consider the whole 'using your navy to block the straits' thing to be a major exploit as well, but that's a different issue altogether.

Of course, if you don't feel like restarting/reloading/using the console, you can use cuulture techs to become a sp, colonise for prestife and use your influence. But, what exactly is the point in waiting 30 years before you can use your influence to isolate the ottomans diplomatically (with Russia and Austria also bordering them, that's how long it'll take)? You get a main culture population of one million and a bunch of provinces with 7% starting LIT and non-accepted pops (by then, all greek pops will have been assimilated) that are extremely homogenous culturally and will therefore always revolt? Might as well just get your cores and screw the rest. At the very least, you should get armenians as accepted pops. I mean, come on, there were armenian byzantine emperors and they were a an accepted minority in the empire since the beginning. If you're gonna become byzantium, then it's only right.

The way the decision works atm, you get something that looks like the polish-lithuanian commonwealth, but with polish as the only accepted culture. What exactly is the point in conquering the rest exactly, other than to have pretty borders? Sicily is right next to you, has a good population, a LIT much better than yours and doesn't get sphered so it's always fair game. Basically, you have to either get lucky so that the ottos don't get any alliances or use the console to dissolve their alliance, and once you do that and get all your byzantine cores it's basically game over. There's no incentive to do anything else. You can conquer some random stuff just for the fun of it, because vanilla allows you to use non-accepted cultures for regular soldiers, but in PDM you can't even do that (which is how it should be in vanilla as well).
You should not attack the OE with allies. You should do it alone when the OE is under attack of another GP, that is most of the times Russia: in such situations I do not remember to have seen any GP backing the OE. If it doesn't work out, one would better start the game over from the scratch.

Admittedly, I've not tried since AHD came out, I will at some point and if something turns out to be dramatically different I'll give my feedback.

You should not attack the OE with allies. You should do it alone when the OE is under attack of another GP, that is most of the times Russia: in such situations I do not remember to have seen any GP backing the OE. If it doesn't work out, one would better start the game over from the scratch.

Admittedly, I've not tried since AHD came out, I will at some point and if something turns out to be dramatically different I'll give my feedback.

I did manage to beat them on my own. That's not the problem here. If you get good tech and play defensively you can win. The real problem is that the other GPs will defend them, which makes it nearly impossible to win without getting lucky. I mean, yeah, sure, if somebody else attacks them and their ally screws their alliance you are guaranteed a victory. But how often does that happen, exactly? Let's just say not very often. You shouldn't have to resort to restarting in order to be able to achieve a historical outcome, that's silly. Have you ever seen AI greece expand at all? I once saw them take crete and another random region from Egypt in PDM, but that's about it.

It's not that simple, buddy. OE almost always has an ally or two and a few GP's at "friendly". Even if it is at war with Russia, GP's can still intervene when you attack. The only "safe" way to fight it alone is to let it DoW you or one of your weaker allies (i.e. Balkan minors, Egypt) and then answer to call.

The only problem with answering an allys call or letting them attack you, is when you add your own war goal, a GP friendly to OE can now intervene, as you aren't just fighting for Status Quo anymore. I have had this happen to me thinking it would be a good way to get a war going. Its a little less likely, but as I've personally seen, possible.

The only problem with answering an allys call or letting them attack you, is when you add your own war goal, a GP friendly to OE can now intervene, as you aren't just fighting for Status Quo anymore. I have had this happen to me thinking it would be a good way to get a war going. Its a little less likely, but as I've personally seen, possible.
You can add wargoals when you are about to win then

This was quite some time ago, so maybe something that was fixed. But in my case the OE had declared war on me (Greece) but didn't call their allys, forget who it was, some GP like France or GB. I managed to beat them back, the Ai wasen't very smart and I won some good defencive battles, pressed forward, occupied some land and added my war goal. Thats when their GP ally intervened, since I was no longer just fighting for Status Quo and had added an aggressive war goal against someone they were friendly with. I remember being pretty surprised and really pissed off, lost the war badly and lost Peleponese in the process. So that was game over.

This was quite some time ago, so maybe something that was fixed. But in my case the OE had declared war on me (Greece) but didn't call their allys, forget who it was, some GP like France or GB. I managed to beat them back, the Ai wasen't very smart and I won some good defencive battles, pressed forward, occupied some land and added my war goal. Thats when their GP ally intervened, since I was no longer just fighting for Status Quo and had added an aggressive war goal against someone they were friendly with. I remember being pretty surprised and really pissed off, lost the war badly and lost Peleponese in the process. So that was game over.
This makes sense yet it's something you can control (occupy the European empire - add wargoals - sign peace).

By the way, I managed to attack OE without nosey GP's getting my way through the distasteful way: Having a sprawling colonial empire and the highest military score from taking half of China (while Russia crushed 80% of its forces). This is in AHD though, which gives Greece a much easier time due to NF's and CB's on uncivs.

Did they add a "Status Quo" wargoal? If not, it could just be that the OE called its ally...

I've had a very similar experience with Serbia. My single NF got my literacy up to 85% by 1870 and my army was up to date. My 30k army managed to defeat the ottomans and their vassals with a good defensive general with a speed bump which helped me get into the mountain areas and beat the ottomans in defensive battles with my gattling guns against their muzzle loaded smoothbores.

The ottomans, however, managed to get sphered by france and allied to the UK. They agreed to white peace... but it was annoying to have to repeatedly agree to white peace after beating the ottomans only to have 200k french and british show up marching overland through greece or austria to end the war.