• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Indeed, if we are to temper the king’s rule as a representative form of government, then these sessions must allow for the free flow of debate and, aye, the criticism of the king, if necessary.”
I doubt Magni would have these same enlightened views if he were king. He seems enough of a diplomat that he might allow for criticism, though I don't think he would take trouble from his councilors.

Also agreeing with @Midnite Duke about Godi Styrbjorn. Thorolfr is probably already trying to replace him, judging from the post-blot temple worship. The Godi probably made a mistake by not participating. That has given the king an opening.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Will the NOT-brother be silenced?
I know you had your hopes up @Midnite Duke but the proper authorities conducted the archaeological DNA checks today and the results show that Prince Magni is indeed the son of King Hrœrekr II. So he will stay the half-brother.

Magni-Surprise.png

(Not sure that answer let's us know if Prince Magni minds being the king's half-brother though.)
Whether the king can silence him is another matter. That answer will demand a bit of patience.
I doubt Magni would have these same enlightened views if he were king. He seems enough of a diplomat that he might allow for criticism, though I don't think he would take trouble from his councilors.
Excellent point @jak7139 . If the editor/author had not so rudely cut off the king's oratory, I believe he was going to say just that.

King-IAmRight.png

(True, King Þorolfr. However, as your brother has been known to talk circles around you, we'll have to wait to see how you parry his words.)
Can the Godi be replaced or does he need to be blotted?
Also agreeing with @Midnite Duke about Godi Styrbjorn. Thorolfr is probably already trying to replace him, judging from the post-blot temple worship. The Godi probably made a mistake by not participating. That has given the king an opening.
Indeed. Some of what happened at the blót reflects the king's zealous nature. However, a political battle is definitely shaping up in the next chapter.

And because the king is so zealous, he's asked for the penultimate word....

ThoroflrBlessing.png

(More coming later in March....)

Reactions:
“Yes, I know all about that. So just realize I’ve been checking up on you. The fewer lies you tell, the better our dance will go. Or I may have to step on your toes.”
Well, Alfr has her over a barrel now. Figuratively, that is.
“Be very careful with that. It’s extremely poisonous. You don’t even need to eat it. You can just rub it on your skin and your pores will soak in the poison. It works quickly.”
I think this is a potentially major error by Alfr. With something so poisonous and easily administered, a la Novichok or similar, surely Kraka will find some way to use it either to escape or take someone down with her when she goes. Alfr is usually more careful than this.
However, I suppose I should now officially do the DNA check.
Maybe, though not available at the time and quite hard to do at this distance in time, even using modern techniques. Hard to get reliably identified and preserved samples suitable for testing. But it would be interesting: “Not even my half brother!” :D

• 1Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Thanks for catching up with this @Bullfilter . Always good to see you in these electronic pages.

And now, after restraining him a bit, King Þorolfr wants to say his piece.

King-Half-Brother.png

(One would think King Þorolfr would want to dump Prince Magni altogether, but then what would become of his favorite retort?)
Maybe, though not available at the time and quite hard to do at this distance in time, even using modern techniques. Hard to get reliably identified and preserved samples suitable for testing. But it would be interesting: “Not even my half brother!” :D
Indeed, this is true. Luckily we had game saves to dig into the DNA.

This would be quite the mystery though for archaeologists but possible with the bones if they knew their grave sites. However, the 8th Century remains very murky.

I think this is a potentially major error by Alfr. With something so poisonous and easily administered, a la Novichok or similar, surely Kraka will find some way to use it either to escape or take someone down with her when she goes. Alfr is usually more careful than this.
Well, the old man may not be perfect, but a humble author needs an assist from the characters from time to time. I do find this within his character of trying to give Kraka the noble out.

In a way I was also thinking of that scene from Game of Thrones with Jaime Lannister and the Queen of Thorns, Lady Olenna. I didn't want it to go that way exactly but I wanted Kraka to suspect that's what Alfr was offering.

The king and Jarl Alfr may think Kraka is handled but she has a bit more trouble to stir up for us.

Alfr-Like2.png

(What's the fun in having all the kingdom's problems solved, Jarl Alfr?)
We'll see what challenges the king and his spymaster overcome in the next chapter in a few weeks....)

• 1Love
Reactions:
Was looking for something else to read, so I figured I'd check out CK2, seeing as it was the game that I wrote my very last AAR for. Needless to say, this one immediately caught my eye. I just finished page one, so obviously I have way to go. But, being that I'm always open to some Viking mayhem, I'm really liking what I see so far. The use of various media is a nice touch. I should catch up in a few days. Nice work.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Was looking for something else to read, so I figured I'd check out CK2, seeing as it was the game that I wrote my very last AAR for. Needless to say, this one immediately caught my eye. I just finished page one, so obviously I have way to go. But, being that I'm always open to some Viking mayhem, I'm really liking what I see so far. The use of various media is a nice touch. I should catch up in a few days. Nice work.
Thank you @Lord Durham for deciding to pick this AAR and letting me know you are back-reading. (And yes, we welcome comments from anyone reading, no matter the page or chapter.) Honored you are here.

I did read your Sons of Ragnar Lodbrok AAR after your recent return to the Forum, but as it has been awhile, I did not comment for fear of being charged with necromancy.

So glad you like what you see so far, however, Page 2 is where the ground starts to shift and this AAR evolves. I think through the comments you can almost see me thinking aloud about how to change it based upon new ideas and inspirations. Thank you for the compliments. Some of the multimedia was added after the start. Your support and comments mean quite a bit. Just be prepared as it morphs into what we have today. Thank you for reading and commenting.

Postscript:
You may want to watch the CK2 sub-forum space for an experiment that we discussed briefly in the SolAARium. The SolAARium is quite the virtual learning place and Page 2 is where I start discussing my discoveries there. What a great spot for newcomers and I'm glad it is open again with new discussions. Thank you for starting the SolAARium.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Thank you @Lord Durham for deciding to pick this AAR and letting me know you are back-reading. (And yes, we welcome comments from anyone reading, no matter the page or chapter.) Honored you are here.

I did read your Sons of Ragnar Lodbrok AAR after your recent return to the Forum, but as it has been awhile, I did not comment for fear of being charged with necromancy.

So glad you like what you see so far, however, Page 2 is where the ground starts to shift and this AAR evolves. I think through the comments you can almost see me thinking aloud about how to change it based upon new ideas and inspirations. Thank you for the compliments. Some of the multimedia was added after the start. Your support and comments mean quite a bit. Just be prepared as it morphs into what we have today. Thank you for reading and commenting.

I'm looking forward to see how this morphs :). My 'Sons of Ragnar...' is actually locked, so you couldn't have posted anyway. However, I appreciate you reading. I'll be honest and say the story is not everyone's flagon of mead, given its Lovecraftian nature. I was going through a HPL phase at the time, having published several stories in the 'Lovecraft eZine', and I wanted to try something different. In fact, I originally intended to write a short story in conjunction with the AAR, but 'things happened and opportunities arose', meaning I never wrote the story and abandoned the AAR.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I didn’t see the most recent update until now, and I must say, Kraka’s life has been one long series of ups and downs. Pulled from poverty only to be used and misused by older noblemen, passed between them like a piece of meat. It’s no wonder she sought to use the limited agency given to her to try to strengthen her own position, although her wiles and schemes were clearly too ambitious for her own good. Still, I get the feeling that she’s got one more surprise in store.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I didn’t see the most recent update until now, and I must say, Kraka’s life has been one long series of ups and downs. Pulled from poverty only to be used and misused by older noblemen, passed between them like a piece of meat. It’s no wonder she sought to use the limited agency given to her to try to strengthen her own position, although her wiles and schemes were clearly too ambitious for her own good. Still, I get the feeling that she’s got one more surprise in store.
Great to have you back, @The Kingmaker . I'm not sure if all of our regular readers saw the last update when it went up. However, most have returned for this one now. Yes, once I understood her a bit more, I found Kraka to be quite intriguing. As you and others have predicted, I'm sure she has at least one more surprise left for us. But first she needs to alter the fate the king has set for her.

imageedit_5_8458938652.png

(It appears the chieftess has accepted our challenge. But we all knew she would, right?)​

I'm looking forward to see how this morphs :). My 'Sons of Ragnar...' is actually locked, so you couldn't have posted anyway. However, I appreciate you reading. I'll be honest and say the story is not everyone's flagon of mead, given its Lovecraftian nature. I was going through a HPL phase at the time, having published several stories in the 'Lovecraft eZine', and I wanted to try something different. In fact, I originally intended to write a short story in conjunction with the AAR, but 'things happened and opportunities arose', meaning I never wrote the story and abandoned the AAR.
Certainly found the Lovecraft elements in your Sons of Ragnar Lodbrok quite interesting @Lord Durham . Although we see the effects of the monsters, I was waiting for Cthulhu to show up. But one can imagine that at least one character in that has already seen Cthulhu and sworn allegiance to that being. As there is a Cthulhu event in CK2, I was wondering if we would see that linked to the story. Oh well. It was a nice read while it lasted.

Screen Shot 2024-03-02 at 5.08.20 PM.png

(Oh no, we may have summoned something from the dark depths without realizing what saying his name might do!)

King-Gods.png
Alfr-Begone.png

(No worries, King Þorolfr, Jarl Alfr and his security teams will see that this threat is dealt with and removed from this thread, for now.)
It appears this comment response section has gotten out of hand and so for security reasons we must close for now. As usual, the king has asked for the last word....

ThoroflrBlessing.png

• 2Haha
Reactions:
Certainly found the Lovecraft elements in your Sons of Ragnar Lodbrok quite interesting @Lord Durham . Although we see the effects of the monsters, I was waiting for Cthulhu to show up. But one can imagine that at least one character in that has already seen Cthulhu and sworn allegiance to that being. As there is a Cthulhu event in CK2, I was wondering if we would see that linked to the story. Oh well. It was a nice read while it lasted.

I had plans for the 'old guy' later in the tale. That is, if I could wake him ;).

Reactions:
I had plans for the 'old guy' later in the tale. That is, if I could wake him ;).
You'd have to be crazy to wake him, but then again, that's how it works in the game.

Sorry we nudged him awake in this thread. Hoping he does not return!

Thanks for reading and hoping you will post other comments as you make progress. A new chapter should be here in a a few weeks or so.

• 2Like
Reactions:
there is a Cthulhu event in CK2
Excuse me WHAT!? I guessed PDX had gone crazy before Stellaris, but I didn't realize they were that insane so early on.

Learning about the existence of a Cthulhu event in CK2 has definitely made my day.

• 1Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
A bit late to reading through this but I like what you've done so far Chac! Interesting use of art and editing. As you say unconvential, but has me curious where it all goes which is a good thing! I'll be following along.
Excuse me WHAT!? I guessed PDX had gone crazy before Stellaris, but I didn't realize they were that insane so early on.

Learning about the existence of a Cthulhu event in CK2 has definitely made my day.
And while I don't want to co-opt the thread, will say that CK2 can be pretty wacky. The Turnip Act is actually fairly tame compared to some of them xD But if you're curious, think these are the events - spoiler just in case you don't want to be spoiled.
1709796716731.jpeg

• 1Love
Reactions:
Great to see some new folks joining the conversation! I knew @Macavity116 was a sometimes secret reader but glad to have your comments too.
A bit late to reading through this but I like what you've done so far Chac! Interesting use of art and editing. As you say unconvential, but has me curious where it all goes which is a good thing! I'll be following along.
Glad to see @Superstorm here too! We certainly welcome new readers and analysts whenever they care to drop around.
It is always hard to gauge the proper frequency of posting, but one of several reasons I've slowed the pace of posting in this AAR is I am aware there are some folks back-reading who do not want to comment until they are caught up. Not sure if that is a good idea or not but it was done partially out of courtesy. However, I have other outside-the-forums reasons for the pacing change too.

Glad the unconventional approach doesn't put you off too much @Superstorm . Thanks for the compliments.

And while I don't want to co-opt the thread, will say that CK2 can be pretty wacky. The Turnip Act is actually fairly tame compared to some of them xD But if you're curious, think these are the events - spoiler just in case you don't want to be spoiled.
Glad we made your day @Macavity116 . Don't worry about co-opting the thread @Superstorm . A new chapter won't be here for a week or so. Happy to have some discussion and diversions until that happens.

There are apparently quite the few madness events built into CK2, perhaps to make the play more interesting when your character goes off the rails. Frankly, the devs should be thanked for their creativity with these.

@Superstorm does a good job of sharing one way the Cthulhu event chain can work. There are variations. If you want to see how it can work in an AAR, there's a recent example in Blood and Empire from @Bullfilter .

@Superstorm also features another madness event, The Turnip Act, in the latest chapter of his AAR, Wings of Faith, Wings of Fury. By the way, that one has never fired for me and I have many thousands of hours in the game. Talk about replay ability!

Plenty of interesting reading for those who like mad kings. As for us, some folks can't stand the drunken king, but he should be making his return in this thread soon.

King-Low.png

(The first step, King Þorolfr is admitting you have a problem. But 21st Century solutions won't work for Vikings, will they?)​

Last edited:
  • 2Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
For me, the most unusual is the Sunset Invasion DLC and its release placement (3rd). As a very unusual DLC, it should have been late in the run and a flip with Holy Fury would seem great. As Holy Fury, a major change should have several release after it while Sunset Invasion would be a final hurrah.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I agree. Holy Fury came so late that I barely played it. Considering I only played with Sunset Invasion on like once, I'm sure I would have played HF much more had it been released third instead.

• 3Like
Reactions:
Having absolute zero (0 K) interest on its subject area (and some very accursed chapter titles, such as ch.III), yet the meticulous attention on the format, and later evolving into characterisations with an interesting presentation style, on top of music selections (though not feeling it in the writing itself, but still in the initial reading, another go may change this); this is a very-well written aar.

Kudos.

For me, the most unusual is the Sunset Invasion DLC and its release placement (3rd). As a very unusual DLC, it should have been late in the run and a flip with Holy Fury would seem great.
I agree. Holy Fury came so late that I barely played it. Considering I only played with Sunset Invasion on like once, I'm sure I would have played HF much more had it been released third instead.
Oh, ck2 dlcs. An ancient subject, would like to chime in.
For personal preference, there is only one dlc for ck2: Horse Lords.
Only after that dlc played ck2, and even if all the others were available, never even looked at any of the mechanics other than the Horse Lords provided. The rest are frivolous additions.

But it is an ancient subject in any case; no amount of dlc could save this bug-fest of a game in own eyes, and when ck3 came out, its run-cyle ended for self. Forever.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Well, this is an unexpected discussion, primarily because @filcat has joined the commenting & reading party. Welcome, @filcat !

Having absolute zero (0 K) interest on its subject area (and some very accursed chapter titles, such as ch.III), yet the meticulous attention on the format, and later evolving into characterisations with an interesting presentation style, on top of music selections (though not feeling it in the writing itself, but still in the initial reading, another go may change this); this is a very-well written aar.

Kudos.
First, thanks for the review and the compliments. I know this was quite an effort for you, so much thanks go out to you, as I know both from your AAR and your comments here and elsewhere that you are no fan of the Danes. (Probably would have been no different if I had picked the Swedes instead.)

Have to agree about the writing at the beginning. Definitely needed to step up the style of the writing at the start, but that does shift. However, if you are past Chapter VI and the writing style hasn't improved, then I just have to say it isn't going to sing to you. One might argue it improves with the 12-part blót but guessing that topic alone will be a turn off for you.

Interested to hear what struck you with Chapter III's title. Was it the fact that "intrigue" takes a plural? Or the fact that the word "nation" is used? Are we going to get into a discussion of nation-states?
Oh, ck2 dlcs. An ancient subject, would like to chime in.
For personal preference, there is only one dlc for ck2: Horse Lords.
Only after that dlc played ck2, and even if all the others were available, never even looked at any of the mechanics other than the Horse Lords provided. The rest are frivolous additions.

But it is an ancient subject in any case; no amount of dlc could save this bug-fest of a game in own eyes, and when ck3 came out, its run-cyle ended for self. Forever.
This is why @Midnite Duke always identifies you as being with the Mongols. (And we know you like the Ottomans quite a bit too, although those two are quite different.)
CK2 was a lot more buggy earlier on, but this run for me is with the latest version with all DLC except Sunset Invasion and it runs quite well. Not sure if I've had any prisoners mysteriously disappear (and not escape) which was one bug that annoyed me a lot. Haven't noticed that on this run (but I see I've jinxed myself now).
For me, the most unusual is the Sunset Invasion DLC and its release placement (3rd). As a very unusual DLC, it should have been late in the run and a flip with Holy Fury would seem great. As Holy Fury, a major change should have several release after it while Sunset Invasion would be a final hurrah.
One of these days I will play Sunset Invasion and jump over to play the Aztecs. I'm guessing that AAR has been done but it would be a hoot.
Thanks to @Midnite Duke & @The Kingmaker for chiming in here.

This is why I am playing Holy Fury now as I was in the middle of a long game with an earlier version when Holy Fury arrived. I'm a slow player. Don't know how folks play so fast on YouTube (besides editing and speeding it up).

The new version, CK3, does look more interesting with the new DLC that just dropped. Many said CK3 isn't as rich as CK2, at least when CK3 first came out, but maybe with this DLC that is fixed.

I know folks think I'm backward for sticking with CK2. However, that's been my primary gaming choice for nine years (including playing the Game of Thrones mod pre-Holy Fury) and I have thousands of hours invested in this fun past-time. Starting this AAR was the next level of that fun. Glad I started this adventure, but this discussion reminds me of the mistakes made, especially early. Just pushing forward and evolving the approach. Thanks to all who have granted me and this AAR the grace to continue. Thanks for all the good comments.

Reactions:
as I know both from your AAR and your comments here and elsewhere that you are no fan of the Danes. (Probably would have been no different if I had picked the Swedes instead.)
It is not about being a fan, that is irrelevant; having no curiosity for the subject is exactly what is meant. History of Bantu expansion, or tales written in Sumerian cuneiform tablets, or a Navajo story, or etymology of the name of Achaeans in terms of Hittite and Egyptian, or Vietnamese creation myth is infinitely more interesting for personal preference.

This is why Midnite Duke always identifies you as being with the Mongols.
Heh, yeah, -guilty-.
(And we know you like the Ottomans quite a bit too, although those two are quite different.)
Of course they are two distinct cultures, despite much cultural affinity, but no, no mate, like is again irrelevant in that context.
If speaking in game terms, specific to ck, then playing any mongolian or steppes-character else any character from africa or india or asia is the personal preference. Yeah, never crusaded in crusader kings, and that is the beauty of the game, its wide range of possibilities.
If specific to eu4, the karaman-tag is more preferable than the otto-tag.

Not sure if I've had any prisoners mysteriously disappear (and not escape) which was one bug that annoyed me a lot. Haven't noticed that on this run (but I see I've jinxed myself now).
High hopes. And lucky, having only one bug to be annoyed with.

Reactions:
Well, this is an unexpected discussion, primarily because @filcat has joined the commenting & reading party. Welcome, @filcat !

First, thanks for the review and the compliments. I know this was quite an effort for you, so much thanks go out to you, as I know both from your AAR and your comments here and elsewhere that you are no fan of the Danes. (Probably would have been no different if I had picked the Swedes instead.)

Have to agree about the writing at the beginning. Definitely needed to step up the style of the writing at the start, but that does shift. However, if you are past Chapter VI and the writing style hasn't improved, then I just have to say it isn't going to sing to you. One might argue it improves with the 12-part blót but guessing that topic alone will be a turn off for you.

Interested to hear what struck you with Chapter III's title. Was it the fact that "intrigue" takes a plural? Or the fact that the word "nation" is used? Are we going to get into a discussion of nation-states?

This is why @Midnite Duke always identifies you as being with the Mongols. (And we know you like the Ottomans quite a bit too, although those two are quite different.)
CK2 was a lot more buggy earlier on, but this run for me is with the latest version with all DLC except Sunset Invasion and it runs quite well. Not sure if I've had any prisoners mysteriously disappear (and not escape) which was one bug that annoyed me a lot. Haven't noticed that on this run (but I see I've jinxed myself now).

One of these days I will play Sunset Invasion and jump over to play the Aztecs. I'm guessing that AAR has been done but it would be a hoot.

Thanks to @Midnite Duke & @The Kingmaker for chiming in here.

This is why I am playing Holy Fury now as I was in the middle of a long game with an earlier version when Holy Fury arrived. I'm a slow player. Don't know how folks play so fast on YouTube (besides editing and speeding it up).

The new version, CK3, does look more interesting with the new DLC that just dropped. Many said CK3 isn't as rich as CK2, at least when CK3 first came out, but maybe with this DLC that is fixed.

I know folks think I'm backward for sticking with CK2. However, that's been my primary gaming choice for nine years (including playing the Game of Thrones mod pre-Holy Fury) and I have thousands of hours invested in this fun past-time. Starting this AAR was the next level of that fun. Glad I started this adventure, but this discussion reminds me of the mistakes made, especially early. Just pushing forward and evolving the approach. Thanks to all who have granted me and this AAR the grace to continue. Thanks for all the good comments.
Not backward, no. You’re telling a story inspired by a game that you love. Nothing wrong with that. Play what you like and write about it! That’s what this place exists for. :D

• 1Love
Reactions: