• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Interlude: The Missing Jul Chapter
Interlude: The Missing Jul Chapter
(King Þorolfr’s Partial Reign 787-788)

uYpfQXzzdkSbPuUGkuPp27mIaD75c_6YjNoyvv1M6is__14tyjZomqmyWXjll1oOUbM0v1UL9xprfUXQHFkv0R06YRGDhg0yIhSeeuKhCZr9fL4hAskfFAhz-eWVzfBYKavGYd83-XPkaSGCZ3jpmZ0
A fir tree is cut to be decorated as part of Jul, in this woodcut print used as an illustration by Howard Pyle from 1897. The image is in the public domain.

When Chapter V of this series was put together, it was shortened from its original form and one character was written out as part of the editing. That character is Ofeig Flod, the son of Chief Tryggve “The Moaner” Flod of Burgundaholmr. When that was done it made sense at the time. However, Ofeig is about to become part of the plot at the ongoing blót, and eventually he will have a major role to play in the overall story. So sketching him back into the story is necessary now. And who doesn’t like an excuse to revisit a good tale for Jul?

Gyrið, the chieftess of Hordaland had taken care to oversee all of the details of the Jul celebration in her holding. She wanted it to be a grand and memorable festival. She had picked out the fir tree to be cut and stood up inside Chief Froði Kráka’s longhouse where the crowds would gather for many parts of the 12-day long series of feasts and events. She had worked with the mothers, children and servants to decorate the tree with wooden representations of Odin, Thor, Freyr, and other Norse gods. She and the servants had decorated the longhouse with other wooden representations of the gods and mistletoe. She had supervised the woodcutters who would decorate the Jul log with a message for the new year. The slogan she had chosen to be carved in the runes translated roughly as “better tomorrows.”

ᛒᛖᛏᛏᛖᚱ ᚠᚢᛏᚢᚱᛖᛋ

She had worked with the mothers of the holding to get the craftsmen to build sufficient toys for the children. They had already left those gifts for the children on the night the mothers told them that Odin was riding across the sky on his eight-legged horse Sleipnir and sprinkling gifts on the houses below. On that special night, the aurora borealis had appeared brightly over the settlement and many of the mothers had said it was glowing because it was the Bifrost bridge that Odin traveled from Åsgard to Midgard, earth.

On the morning of the final day of the Jul festival, Gyrið was straightening the longhouse with the assistance of Froði’s ward, the 15-year-old Ofeig Flod of Burgundaholmr. Froði’s concubine, Margareta, was tending to Froði’s two daughters: Freyja, who had been born in the past year to Margareta; and Aslaug, who had also been born in the past year to Gyrið.

Gyrið opened a chest and brought out an arrangement of dried purple-pinkish flowers. The flowers were the size and shape of thimbles and sat on stalks in rows, with the stalks ranging in size from two to three feet in length.

NSUi8cgvLQyG6_8m82KUncYi20K2GdiELEk5GxI-otNXh5SFqSgAorMcKb12MKxUlndDPPLyHf7rxfXVnxeLEq9ee1SXANmzOjLZhi5E2BtynkWpOqSvv0RT4kZdXboJsc5DsdgMTuEfH0fV5MmInds
“That is so large and beautiful,” Ofeig exclaimed. “I have never seen such flowers presented during a Jul celebration. Is this a tradition of Noregr?”

Hailing from the island of Burgundaholmr in the Danish lands, Ofeig was always asking about the differences between Danish and Norwegian culture.

xP0j6pHRPfV1c7OjKxoxJuXQm5VTN9BNgA9EOXOJ-9wYKItTSyhtmLP_kQ1PxkrbcupKNZbw1ZQe1jm1zie7q35cjgH7eyy22H4X1MBe_O0eT4W6hy-iRVOfX7V9TFgao39tV1j85GfK7IlUQjKDeZo
“No, I don’t think so,” Gyrið said. “I am from the Geatish lands, originally, so I am not the best on all the customs of Noregr. No, I saw them this summer in the fields and thought they would be useful later. Now is the time.”

NSUi8cgvLQyG6_8m82KUncYi20K2GdiELEk5GxI-otNXh5SFqSgAorMcKb12MKxUlndDPPLyHf7rxfXVnxeLEq9ee1SXANmzOjLZhi5E2BtynkWpOqSvv0RT4kZdXboJsc5DsdgMTuEfH0fV5MmInds
“What are these flowers called?”

Ofeig was always full of curiosity and looking to make small talk.

xP0j6pHRPfV1c7OjKxoxJuXQm5VTN9BNgA9EOXOJ-9wYKItTSyhtmLP_kQ1PxkrbcupKNZbw1ZQe1jm1zie7q35cjgH7eyy22H4X1MBe_O0eT4W6hy-iRVOfX7V9TFgao39tV1j85GfK7IlUQjKDeZo
“Well, they have many names, I think as flowers tend to do, depending on where you are from. I saw a similar arrangement in a temple during my trip to Saxony. I learned the Saxons call them ‘fingerhut.’ An interesting and memorable name.”

“Someday, I want to travel the world like you and Froði.”

“I’m sure as a warrior, you will travel to many lands. Look, you are nearly a man and you have already traveled all this way from your home.”

“Froði takes many trips to the Geatish lands. He promised me I could go with him the next time.”

“Something to look forward to, no doubt.”

Gyrið said this as she placed the flower arrangement on the head table in the longhouse.

MO9frksuIMQkVMJku1_Bf41792ZnkrrBIO9rVREbZvvrAdYrYzQk7Cwk7qELzvx83pqpOq1-9VIrUac9chmdZ3tXIytKZRUbHitWvAX1bHUrr6DvgNCOth24Z5MtZOJimZ39T_ltXvfXMjpIluF1u0Q

Gyrið's special arrangement of flowers as imagined by Playground AI and the Stable Diffusion XL image generator.

The furniture in the longhouse had been rearranged so the room was not in the shape of the audience room for Chief Froði but instead that of a feasting hall, with a head table set on the riser where the chief’s special chair usually rested. The large Jul tree flanked this riser on one side. The rest of the house was set with long feasting tables and benches and the house’s fire pit was in the center, with the tables arranged around it. The sleeping area for the chief and his growing family was walled off by using wooden screens, hung with rugs and woven tapestries.

On this final day of Jul, the people of Hordaland had gathered inside and outside the settlement’s worship house with its wooden idols to Odin and Freyr. On each day of the festival, Seer Öysteinn had sacrificed animals in the worship house and sprinkled the blood of the sacrifice on those gathered. Large cooking pots were set alight inside the worship house to cook the sacrificial meats. As tradition held, on this final day of Jul, Öysteinn would sacrifice the settlement’s finest pig with the chief and his family prominent at the gathering. Gyrið and Margareta held the crying babies, while Ofeig flanked Chief Froði.

Froði was a bald and bearded Viking warrior in his early 40’s. He stood over six feet in height. He was still strongly muscled and toned, although his body had thickened as he moved into middle age. He was proud and walked with a swagger, earned from his reputation as one of the heroes of the Great Danish-Geatish Conflict. Although many still regarded Jarl Sigurd “Ring” af Munsö the greatest general of the age, Froði often boasted of how many times his men had put The Ring’s warriors to flight in that great conflict. Indeed, Froði was a great general too, but his behavior during the war to maintain Noregr’s independence was well known. The Ring would never forsake the battlefield to be bedding a mistress or camp followers.

On this final day of the Jul festival, Froði was dressed in a billowing fur cape and matching fur hat. He wore a leather vest over his cloth shirt and he had loose-fitting leather pants. Also, he wore a variety of golden necklaces. Like the tribe he ruled now, he was decked out in his finest for the end of Jul and the beginning of the new year. After the seer had slit the pig’s throat, he put his bloodied hand on the chief’s forehead to denote Froði’s importance. The seer’s attendants helped gather the pig’s blood in bowls and sacred instruments used to sprinkle the crowd called hlaut-staves, basically a branch from an evergreen tree with a carved and formed handle and the greenery used to brush and sprinkle the blood.

After the seer had sprinkled the pig’s blood on many in attendance inside and outside of the worship house, the crowd dispersed. The seer and his helpers then butchered the pig, cutting the meat into sections to be boiled and stewed for the evening’s feast at the chief’s longhouse.

“You have outdone yourself, Öysteinn!” Chief Froði exclaimed from the head table during the feast later that evening. “This is surely one of the finest pork stews.”

“Thank you, my liege,” the seer responded from far down the table.

The chief was seated in the center of the table, flanked on one side by his wife, Gyrið, and the other by his concubine, Margareta. Ofeig sat next to Gyrið, and Seer Öysteinn was seated next to Margareta. The rest of the head table consisted of other members of the chief’s council or others of importance in the settlement.

This was the infamous night when Froði propositioned one of the serving women to join him after the feast for a sexual romp, right in front of his wife and concubine. Also, this was the night that Froði made his lewd toast and claimed to have the largest male endowment in all the kingdom.

This was also the night that Gyrið had slipped a secret ingredient into her husband’s many horns of strong drink.

But Ofeig Flod could not remember much of that night, because he had fallen asleep at the feasting table before the dessert was served. Ofeig had passed out with his head on the table in a brown puddle from a spilled bowl of stew. He had missed the toasts and passed out from too much of the mulled apple spirits. He had been too woozy to notice the chief’s proposition to the serving woman. Gyrið roused Ofeig to bed as she began some of the clean up process. Gyrið and the serving women were left to tidy up the longhouse a bit now but most of the cleaning would be left for the next day. Meanwhile, Chief Froði was already leading his concubine Margareta out of the longhouse toward his private hut just as the babies woke up from all of the commotion, as the guests left.

What Ofeig remembered from that night was a blur of drinking wine, laughing, and then being led to his bed in a hazy fog. What he would certainly remember was his headache the next morning, but also the confusion and tumult caused by the untimely passing in the night of Chief Froði, his hero. He also remembered Gyrið taking charge of the settlement like never before and pushing him off as soon as possible on a merchant vessel eventually bound for Burgundaholmr.

For her part, Gyrið never showed any celebration after the passing of her cheating husband who had carried on many infamous and scandalous affairs. She did her best to feign sorrow and grief with almost every person in Hordaland fooled by her actions after Froði passed in the night of what looked to be a heart attack. She had mixed the finely ground flowers and stems from the fingerhut plant, a plant the English would call later the foxglove. Those special ingredients had done their magic and stopped Froði Kráka’s heart during the night.

Gyrið knew much of the immediate time in front of her would be trying and difficult. She had no idea what her future might bring. However, as she made herself appear sad and gloomy, she repeated softly to herself, “Better tomorrows. Better tomorrows.” The year 788 C.E. lay ahead, already with so much accomplished. She had now provided the king with the Jul gift he had requested: revenge for the murder of his father.

(The images included in this chapter that are not from Crusader Kings II are all from accounts linked to @Chac1 where he holds the copyright. They are primarily from Playground AI, but some are from Bing, including the Lost Seasons of the Danes logo.)

(Lost Seasons of the Danes will return after the Jul celebrations.)

PyreLostSeasons.jpg

ᛚᛟᛋᛏ ᛋᛖᚨᛋᛟᚾᛋ ᛟᚠ ᛏᚺᛖ ᛞᚨᚾᛖᛋ

• 1Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
It's a nice seasonal update.

I wonder if Ofeig might find out about Frodi's murder and attempt to... avenge it.

• 1Like
Reactions:
It's a nice seasonal update.

I wonder if Ofeig might find out about Frodi's murder and attempt to... avenge it.
Thanks for your reading and support @HistoryDude . Very much appreciated. (And we appreciate the silent readers too.)

Glad you are thinking that way. You are always three moves ahead in the chess game of plots. However, we won't have any answers about that until the new year. Sometime in January we will revisit this plot thread, and see Ofeig more than two years later after he attains his age of majority and is married.

Here's wishing you and yours a happy jul season and to all the readers who come this way too.

Reactions:
@Chac1: I've just read your first chapter and I'm really enjoying this so far. I've got to say, I love all the extra little touches. The graphics, the soundtrack, the runes at the end of each post. That's the sort of stuff I like to do in my stories as well. Really adds to the immersion in my opinion. Well done!

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions:
@Chac1: I've just read your first chapter and I'm really enjoying this so far. I've got to say, I love all the extra little touches. The graphics, the soundtrack, the runes at the end of each post. That's the sort of stuff I like to do in my stories as well. Really adds to the immersion in my option. Well done!
Thanks to @The Kingmaker for joining our group of readers. Thank you for the compliments.

Very much appreciate the effort of starting down the path of this AAR from the start. As I advise folks just starting out: there are twists and turns and stylistic changes. I hope it isn't too bumpy of a ride from the start. (For those who like action right away, I suggest starting with Chapter III, and working backward as necessary. For those hoping to catch up quickly without going back to the beginning, it might even be possible to start with the story of the Great Blót of 790. Every chapter includes links back to earlier material for context for newer readers.)

King Þorolfr also has a message for you:

ThoroflrBlessing.png

Hoping you enjoy the Jul holidays with you and yours!

• 1Like
Reactions:
I’ve completed all of page 2 now. Well done so far, I’m enjoying the addition of character conversations and other narrative elements. What has really made it compelling at this point is the transition from courtly intrigue and territorial squabbles to a proper Viking Age murder mystery. I’m interested to see where you take this!

• 1Like
Reactions:
Think twice before drinking that extra cup of eggnog this Yule! :p

Reactions:
Thanks for reading @Bullfilter and @The Kingmaker (along with all of our various silent readers keeping track on the various silent nights ahead).
Think twice before drinking that extra cup of eggnog this Yule! :p
Yes, think I will pass on the eggnog, especially if someone describes it as "killer." ;)

1703437808308.png

(Just a reminder of King Þorolfr's reaction from Chapter V.)

King-DrinkThen.png
Alfr-Drink.png

(I hope both King Þorolfr and Jarl Alfr have been paying attention and remember to drink responsibly. Oh, who am I kidding? They're Vikings! Those public service announcements are wasted on them. But have they learned nothing from the past two chapters?)
Oh, well. I hope all of our readers enjoy their Jul celebrations, nevertheless, but celebrate safely.

I’ve completed all of page 2 now. Well done so far, I’m enjoying the addition of character conversations and other narrative elements. What has really made it compelling at this point is the transition from courtly intrigue and territorial squabbles to a proper Viking Age murder mystery. I’m interested to see where you take this!
Thanks for your persistence @The Kingmaker . This is where the narrative and approach to the AAR really shift and become closer to what we have today. Let's see if you hang on through the transition. I think it has thrown a few. Some may not approve of our graphic novel approach now. Thanks for working on catching up (as some of our silent readers are doing too.)

ThoroflrBlessing.png

Hoping everyone enjoys their Jul. (As the king signs off and this is being written it is already Dec. 25 for @Bullfilter . I hope he, and everyone else, awakens to good tidings!)

• 1Like
Reactions:
Well, I’ve finished page 3. It’s certainly a stirring yarn, and seems to have become a hybrid of a compelling murder mystery and a bawdy courtly soap opera. At least the young king has a sense of propriety… for the time being at least.

• 1Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Well, I’ve finished page 3. It’s certainly a stirring yarn, and seems to have become a hybrid of a compelling murder mystery and a bawdy courtly soap opera. At least the young king has a sense of propriety… for the time being at least.
Thanks for your persistence in catching up, @The Kingmaker .
As some television critics decided GoT was a “courtly soap opera,” I take that as praise and I would say you truly describe this AAR for what it is: part murder mystery and part “bawdy courtly soap opera.” (I don’t think anyone used the term “bawdy" for GoT, but that is what is attempted here at times.)

The king’s changes over time are definitely one of the items to watch and one of the challenges of writing this.

But for the next chapter, we will keep our focus on Jarl Alfr “Irongrip” af Vendel of Svíþjóð....

Lost Seasons of the Danes Preview

In the next part of our story we will return to the blót. Jarl Alfr will reflect on the past, especially some of his past mistakes, but he will also ponder his worries for the future. Jarl Alfr may have caught Chieftess Kraka and ended her plot but there’s still plenty more to do regarding the attempt to assassinate the king.

Alfr-IndeedSee.png

Find out how Jarl Alfr prepares to meet his challenges in the next chapter of Lost Seasons of the Danes....

(For those who want more on the plotters, intrigue, and other issues in the Kingdom of Denmark, more details can be found at The Tårn.)

(As is our custom, sharing the suggested soundtrack for Appendix A9 below: "Deyja” by Munknörr.)

(Lost Seasons of the Danes will return in early January.)

PyreLostSeasons.jpg

• 1Like
Reactions:
Of course! That wasn’t meant as a criticism, just as a description of the shenanigans that are going on at the court. I’m well into page 4 now.
When some folks see the words "soap opera" it stops them dead in their tracks. Just qualifying that I'm not one of those and took all of what you wrote as a big compliment. Thank you!

• 1Love
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Well, I've made it through page 4. Unfortunately some of the images appear to be broken in the later posts on the page.

I did like that Þorolfr went full-on Palpatine for just a moment in that one conversation with Dag:

iHq1zD.gif

I also liked his efforts to co-opt his erstwhile rival Magni to be a member of his regime. That seemed very shrewd.

On to page 5!

• 1Like
Reactions:
Well, I've made it through page 4. Unfortunately some of the images appear to be broken in the later posts on the page.

I did like that Þorolfr went full-on Palpatine for just a moment in that one conversation with Dag:

iHq1zD.gif

I also liked his efforts to co-opt his erstwhile rival Magni to be a member of his regime. That seemed very shrewd.

On to page 5!
Sorry to hear that images are broken. The repair team will need to get in there and work in the archives a bit today or later this week.
The king's temper has been let loose a few times at this point but arguably he's had good reasons. As time goes on though, it won't be his temper the king will need to deal with but other issues.
Thanks for continuing to review! Much appreciated (especially if there are broken images).

• 1Like
Reactions:
Appendix A10: The Great Blót of 790 (Alfr’s Dream)
Appendix A10
The Great Blót of 790 (Alfr’s Dream)
(King Þorolfr’s Partial Reign 790)

VWrQwnb9Xg3N_r6lmvtLqZepgMoTTeogyrfGFL0roQQJ7F5GyTspErYMSoSgqX_y_2C-42JWLIYgz52JGk5w6O43TAFcWiwd-_bmj-hjmoY6bjc4YTbN9LjtPden2JjgAa2V9cJ4vhaEhuq8As_oZfg
Chief Valdemar af Aalborg, the Spymaster of the Petty Kingdom of Sjælland under King Hrœrekr II. The infamous Chief Valdemar was the predecessor of Jarl Alfr af Vendel as spymaster. This image was created with the DALL·E image generator provided via Bing.

One brief portion of this post may be NSFW in some countries, be advised.

FXh0m0W17gBrEq1Ivu6zEoe3sVtLKPwiW9dQe4KWpUrwvK4UevbbsPRXCsnv_iNSENbt6yleTq7-PlqChkomk7EIcuipv5jWHHpmIA8yTNEvvQJJq5oc6EUOide2fnDfSLpDtX-Ilt7Cr5aMiBbeV3Y
“I am so proud the king named you the Hero of the Blót,” Gyla Gautske said enthusiastically to Jarl Alfr “Irongrip” af Vendel as they began eating their plates of slow-cooked goat.

iTjjofKHSN91f3GQtGucmXpTiQmJ4ibPaCW24AJV2KcrFXCIMpfDxFcHhWzmSfo4PKABZHeU_60L17bYfIsVXpYszf3SBAibVjBCpFXHQLUWa1GDQfqAGLe4PXOPfQAMLJrJ19wP8jhSxh_xEeRbydM
“Well, I’ve been thinking of this goat since the first time I smelled it this morning,” Alfr said as he picked up the meat with his hands and chewed it slowly, although that wasn’t really what had been on his mind at all on this day.

FXh0m0W17gBrEq1Ivu6zEoe3sVtLKPwiW9dQe4KWpUrwvK4UevbbsPRXCsnv_iNSENbt6yleTq7-PlqChkomk7EIcuipv5jWHHpmIA8yTNEvvQJJq5oc6EUOide2fnDfSLpDtX-Ilt7Cr5aMiBbeV3Y
“I know you can’t dance these days, but do you think we could go to the house early, right after dinner?”

Alfr’s concubine Gyla asked this of Alfr with an expectant look in her eyes.

iTjjofKHSN91f3GQtGucmXpTiQmJ4ibPaCW24AJV2KcrFXCIMpfDxFcHhWzmSfo4PKABZHeU_60L17bYfIsVXpYszf3SBAibVjBCpFXHQLUWa1GDQfqAGLe4PXOPfQAMLJrJ19wP8jhSxh_xEeRbydM
“I would like nothing better.”

Alfr flashed her a smile.

Sitting next to the jarl, Sæmundr “The Champion” Kven of Gudbrandsdalen chuckled to himself as he overheard their conversation. He was buffering the jarl from having to sit next to the queen which Sæmundr was doing again for the second night in a row.

The queen had demanded that Jarl Alfr not be allowed to sit next to her because he had ruined her dress with the wine he spilled when rescuing the king. No one wanted to hear the queen’s complaints, especially not Sæmundr. When the queen told him he was too tall again and that he made her neck ache, he responded:

BTmd1TsdyluooVhvKoOIQS_hotNxsKL95BE40Pck77iHEpfQvbUl6OB_oU8a53bjke_pqoTq845ya_P00AXCOZ6-Kn5DwVgXeqJWP0JU7QwS_p8u92mNVKXemBOGaGNelwvYSYPUetXZ2sRtwMpPCdE
“Just remember I’ve seen your bony ass. So stop whining to me or I’ll tell everyone in the kingdom all about you.”

That was met with a gasp and a worried look. The queen didn’t speak to Sæmundr for the rest of the night and she was even a bit afraid to give him a glance.

One of the arrangements Alfr and Sæmundr had made during the day was for the logistics of handling their new prisoners. They did not want to turn them over to the holding cells of Godi Styrbjörn because he could not be trusted and they knew he was in league with Prince Magni. When Ragnar “Loðbrok” af Munsö, Jarl Sigurd’s son, had returned from dropping Borkvard the Spy at the king’s holding, they asked if Ragnar would help them and take his party of warriors to escort Chieftess Kraka there. He had agreed. Then they moved Prince Magni, his aide Gandalfr, and the prisoner from Årus to the prince’s temporary abode and put them all on house arrest with at least a dozen guards dedicated round the clock to keeping them inside and any of their fellow plotters out.

With his pilgrim house now cleared of guards and prisoners, Jarl Alfr and his teenage concubine Gyla slipped away from the feast as soon as they were done with dinner so they could be alone.

As a man who had fathered seven children, with an eighth on the way with his wife Saga, Alfr very much enjoyed the company of women, especially the women in his household. Although he was very sore from both his fall in Noregr and his exertion during the blót, he and Gyla enjoyed a gentle, intimate time together. Eventually Gyla rested on top of Alfr’s prone form in the bed, with Gyla providing most of the movement and physical work.

Afterward Alfr went to sleep with Gyla hugging him. He moved into a dream state.

Eventually, he was in the dream that he hated so much: he was floating down the Limfjord in a karve on his way to Ålborg, the same way he had been a decade ago before he was a jarl and before he was the Spymaster of Denmark. This was the dream that tortured him and had caused the breakdowns he had tried to hide from others. Usually, he was successful in keeping his breakdowns secret, but that was impossible when he was caught in a nightmare. In the dream, on this night, he called out for the warriors to stop rowing or reverse course, but, of course, they never would. Like every time this nightmare tortured him, he thought he knew what awaited.

Soon, just like what had actually happened, he was the prisoner of his infamous predecessor Chief Valdemar af Aalborg who was then the Spymaster of Sjælland. And just like what had actually happened, Valdemar threw the decomposing head of one of Alfr’s spies into his lap. This is when Alfr usually woke up screaming, but instead, this time the dream kept going.

Alfr started twitching and turning in the bed trying to wake up but the dream had a grip on him and it kept unspooling in his head.

In this altered nightmare, the evil Spymaster Valdemar brought him a silver goblet filled with cherry wine but Alfr refused to take it.

MucJLbf1GJ2gEcnkPyGq-cvRaAt5jkFgpcMqY-oWCv55799vHnOO0z0uiZfVZ7P1XUB7wFFl3oDWQdg6PWnfQjjsFpaH8r_s4vGvDmZNjLeCVFanVKdNZ7HBlrpx-ws61Pk9VatAj0vEDoT6Z-PW_8c
“Drink! You know it is the king’s favorite beverage, cherry wine!” Valdemar cackled. “Drink it and maybe you’ll wake up.”

Then Valdemar suddenly stuck his face close to Alfr’s and they were nose to nose.

MucJLbf1GJ2gEcnkPyGq-cvRaAt5jkFgpcMqY-oWCv55799vHnOO0z0uiZfVZ7P1XUB7wFFl3oDWQdg6PWnfQjjsFpaH8r_s4vGvDmZNjLeCVFanVKdNZ7HBlrpx-ws61Pk9VatAj0vEDoT6Z-PW_8c
“Or maybe you won’t! Ever!”

Valdemar laughed insanely as Alfr cringed.

Then, Valdemar’s assistant Ylva brought in two large flower arrangements in silver bowls. The main flower in the arrangements was the lily of the valley.

CPT1f8loxXv6M2EmmqMc3wtc6S-rE6tTDyXaUOBpckotEt916lEhj0sS5lDLGSwrTdvM3cBsBH5wehSz0usJbImRffPcR8OUhxYIfZKvCRMChw0XM0rdDOcwgpbkr8JY5y13JTM9kzLwZUcT8hXdUKM
“This is your new favorite flower isn’t it?” Ylva asked with a wicked smile. She set the flowers on either side of Alfr’s spot at the table.

Then the decomposed head in Alfr’s lap moved causing Alfr to jump in fright. He could see his old comrade Stig looking up at him, the eyes in his head had popped open impossibly and were staring at Alfr widely. Stig’s head began chanting: “Drink! Drink! Drink!”

B7cQAmi7vBtF02fil4LxXRg4DSU8ZRp3m0LHfYqir6DCa2KOPZVVx2BmaKr0kRmOk5SfFZ6kZGA2OkgERbVN8W98CdXBF85u3jt1uMrxxR6WNYxZxpMPUey-gAKHwqcQwbSm8Q8TMul_kIOoBh5ephM

Alfr began to wail.

“Hold him!”

Valdemar ordered his helpers.

And just as they had all those years ago back in Ålborg, Valdemar’s assistants, General Ale and Seer Arngrimr set upon Alfr. They held his arms back and Ylva tipped back Alfr’s head, forcing his mouth open. He seemed powerless to stop her and he could not close his jaws, as Valdemar began pouring the poisoned wine down his throat.

“Drink it all down. Enjoy it!”

Valdemar cackled crazily.

B7cQAmi7vBtF02fil4LxXRg4DSU8ZRp3m0LHfYqir6DCa2KOPZVVx2BmaKr0kRmOk5SfFZ6kZGA2OkgERbVN8W98CdXBF85u3jt1uMrxxR6WNYxZxpMPUey-gAKHwqcQwbSm8Q8TMul_kIOoBh5ephM

Alfr screamed out again and he began convulsing, the wine spilling out of his overfilled mouth. His screams were being drowned by the wine and eventually his wailing diminished into gurgles.

That is when he awoke and he really was convulsing and wailing.

“Hold him. Help me hold him!”

Gyla said this in a bit of a panic.

Then the strong arms of Sæmundr steadied him as Gyla hugged him tight.

BTmd1TsdyluooVhvKoOIQS_hotNxsKL95BE40Pck77iHEpfQvbUl6OB_oU8a53bjke_pqoTq845ya_P00AXCOZ6-Kn5DwVgXeqJWP0JU7QwS_p8u92mNVKXemBOGaGNelwvYSYPUetXZ2sRtwMpPCdE
“Was it the same dream as always?”

Sæmundr asked this with a sigh.

“Yes, but it had new parts, horrible parts.”

Alfr said this as he sat up in bed. He was panting a bit.

“We care for you. Do not worry.”

Gyla soothed him and hugged him more.

“I’m so embarrassed that you had to see that. Both of you.”

Alfr hung his head in the dark.

“You are among friends here, my liege. I hope you can rest easy for the remainder of the night. We’ve had quite an adventure at this blót.”

“Maybe that’s what worries me. It’s not over yet.”

(The images included in this chapter are all from accounts linked to @Chac1 where he holds the copyright. They are primarily from Playground AI, but some are from Bing, including the Lost Seasons of the Danes logo. In addition, the LunaPic image editor was used to alter some images.)

(Lost Seasons of the Danes will return soon.)

PyreLostSeasons.jpg

Last edited:
  • 1Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Some thoughts as I continue to catch up: why on earth was someone as intelligent and beautiful as Kristina permitted to marry that old codger while the king languishes with some spoiled, pimply teenager? She would have made a superb queen from what I can tell. Also, with a name like Kristina, does she have any affinity for Christianity?

• 2Like
Reactions:
Alfr's past is apparently dark. Did he ever get his revenge on the old spymaster?

• 1Like
Reactions:
I've finished page 6 and am on to page 7. Well-written, and I'm liking the conversational format. I can sense your frustration at the utter stupidity of some of the AI's decisions. We've all been there, mate. :p

Some additional thoughts on the plot: Gyrið and Kristina are an absolute power couple. Given that the king now seems like a complete lush on his best days, I really wish he'd been able to marry Kristina. Gyrið is doing a decent job of trying to hold the kingdom together, and she too would have been a much better queen than the whiny teenager. I'm honestly worried about the state of the monarchy. That keg party disguised as a council meeting was a disgrace, as was the king's brutalization of his half-brother in the holmgang, and the blót seems like it will continue to be an utterly dreadful matter as well.

The royal court has become an unwholesome blend of debauchery and butchery. (Debutchery?)

• 2Like
Reactions:
Thanks, @The Kingmaker and @HistoryDude for reading and commenting. Thanks to the silent readers too.

Some thoughts as I continue to catch up: why on earth was someone as intelligent and beautiful as Kristina permitted to marry that old codger while the king languishes with some spoiled, pimply teenager?
Well, there are a number of reasons. First, Kristina's husband Þrándr Skjöldung was once the chief of Slesvig (and later Rygjafylki in Noregr too) and during that time he was controlled by the AI completely until his brother took those provinces back. That was way back in Chapter II and Kristina wasn't mentioned then. After Þrándr's first wife died, and before he came to his brother's court, he married Kristina. So Kristina was probably not under consideration for Prince Þorolfr.

For a variety of reasons, King Hrœrekr II didn't think much of his first two sons, only deciding Þorolfr would be a worthy successor when Þorolfr was in his late 20's and not long before Hrœrekr was assassinated. This will be explored a bit more in the future, but Hrœrekr's favorite was his third son Eysteinn, who was Hrœrekr's squire. Eysteinn's limited interaction with his half-brothers got cut out of Chapter VI in this adapted version of the story, but we will fill him in a bit later. That will give you some understanding that until he was hit with cancer, Hrœrekr had hoped that he would raise Eysteinn up to be his successor.

So Þorolfr's betrothal to Gerðr Refr was all about that long-standing royal strategy: acquiring "great tracts of land." This is what was written about Hrœrekr's thoughts on Gerðr Refr back in Chapter VIII:
So it was when she was 12 years old, that King Hrœrekr II – eyeing the territory of Helsingland for his son – arranged with Eilif for her betrothal to Þorolfr.
With no heir in her House, Gerðr is going to give up Helsingland to the Skjöldungs and the Danes. At least, that was King Hrœrekr's plan. So you can blame me, the game player, rather than me, the author, for that one. My philosophy has been to faithfully record the game play and fill in the gaps. However, as this AAR has evolved, I am spending more time exploring the gaps. And yes, Kristina would have made an excellent queen, but there was no way to know how Gerðr was going to turn out. As an author, she's a gift though. She's just getting revved up.

QueenGerdr-Boring.png

I suppose that is my cue that I'm getting too long-winded for the queen.

Also, with a name like Kristina, does she have any affinity for Christianity?
None. That's the name the AI gave her. It will be several decades before the Catholic missionaries make their way into the lands of the Norse in any great way. Not sure if this AAR will ever get that far given our current temporal crawl.
Alfr's past is apparently dark. Did he ever get his revenge on the old spymaster?
Unfortunately, he never took revenge. There's a whole scene cut from Chapter III, where Jarl Alfr reveals his Norse version of PTSD. Debated whether to include the current appendix chapter at all. But my philosophy has shifted about this version of the story and for the moment I like the opportunity of adding back some of the character details that I stripped away to speed up the story earlier.

I have an entire short series about Alfr's clash with Valdemar. Not sure if I will ever use that here. However, if I ever write a sequel to this or a spin-off I think one consideration would be Alfr's adventures with Sæmundr. There are a lot of stories to tell there. Yes, there is quite the dark past.

Alfr-IndeedSee.png

More coming soon.

Reactions: