• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
War of the Titans - 18

Paris, 24 January 2014

- Send my congrats to President of Czechoslovak Republic, Czechs and Slovaks have done a really great job.

- Of course, President Dassault. - replied Prime Minister Renault. - We also must not forget to award leading Czechoslovak military and political leaders that are responsible for this important project.

- Indeed. We'll have to give many merits to our allies when this madness ends. I just hope we won't run out of medals.

Czechoslovak revolt was the last nail in the coffin of Danubian Federation. UNA troops were halted at the gates of Prague where the Mitteleuropean defense line was also passing trough. Revolt of Czech units of Danubian federal army that were stationed in Bohemia and Moravia (ironically, Viennese supreme command stationed those troops in their home region in hope that soldiers will fight better if they will be defending their own homes), and following uprising of Slovak troops from Eastern Front that were on the rest in their home region, allowed UNA forces to use the confusion and break the line in Bohemia.

The only relatively intact parts of Danubian Federation left were Hungary and Romania. It wasn't worth to keep Danubian Federation alive even only formally by name, and Kingdom of Hungary was declared as sovereign and independent state. Habsburgs were on the run and it situation wasn't suitable to seek new king, so Hungarians simply established regency council, lead by General Tanczos Laszlo, who was also considered as de facto head of state. Hungary of course stayed loyal ally on German side, as UNA was showing too much sympathy for Hungarian foes and too little sympathy for Hungary.

With the collapse of Danubian federal army, Czechoslovak troops that were part of old common army and were able to leave, started to return home. New Czechoslovak Army was made of troops that took part in revolt, volunteers, soldiers that returned from other areas, and eventually Czechs and Slovaks that fought in UNA armies. However, some Czech and Slovak soldiers remained trapped under Mitteleuropean command in Eastern Europe. Those tried to defect to UNA as soon as possible. Chechoslovak goverment of national unity was dominated mostly by Czech and Slovak Social Democrats that were spiritual leaders of resistance against Danubian monarchy.

cz_liberation.jpg

In those days, war in Europe was under influence of major changes. In the East, Finnish decision to switch sides was very important factor. Finnish generals accepted deal with UNA and turned their backs to Germany. State of Finland was recognized in borders of pre-war kingdom, but due to Russian pressure (Russians decided to play the patron role), United States transfered control of Vardo to Finland. With loss of important German ally in the East, Eastern Front started to crumble for Germans. Exhausted Polish-Lithuanian-Ruthenian-Moldavian Commonwealth collapsed due to critical military, economic and social position and Germans had to take over the wast areas and remaining troops of United Commonwealth. General Eisenschuh was one of the rare commanders that stayed loyal to Mitteleuropa and helped Germans to maintain what was left of local administration.

In Scandinavia, Norway and Sweden surrendered to United States. Both countries were put under mild US occupation which would make the region ready for return of soveregnity. Debates about potential united Scandinavia were also taking place. The disappointment for people of Norway came when United States decided to give control over Vardo to Finland, but nothing could be done against this action, as Russia was one of most important members of UNA and her demands were hard to be rejected. Finns were also bargaining their services in war for such concesions, feeling strong because of Russian support.

United Netherlands ceded Mons and Brussels to French Republic. Dutch authorities didn't have real interest to control predominantly Francophonic areas and French request was granted. Britain was ruled by Canadian military administration which was struggling to prepare Britain for restoration of legitimate United Kingdom. Very important step for creation of stable Europe was done with establishment of German Provisional Goverment in Western and Southern parts of Germany, far away from frontline. German lands near frontline were still under French military occupation.

German Provisional Goverment was lead by General Hans-Otto Budde and was created to establish efficient system of local and regional authorities in Germany. Provisional Goverment itself was not meant to represent independent and sovereign nation. Creation of this entity was confirmed by UNA Commissariat for occupational zones, lead by General Commissaire Carlos Ray Norris. Formally, this would mean that German Provisional Goverment has the blessing of entire UNA, but in fact, Russians were really suspicious about this step. Commissariat had power to give opinion about occupational systems and not about creation of independent states, but it was clear that Provisional Goverment will grow into real state one day, and Russians were concerned about potential French dominated Germany. Moscow admitted that closer cooperation with local authorities is needed, but the rivalry of great forces for influence in Germany has started and everyone wanted to get their share.

german_proposal2.png

Finally, Germany shall fall to its knees. It's interesting to see Greece being occupied by Turkey though. According to history, that's a really stupid move.

Finally. Czechoslovakia is free and independent :) !!!!!!!
And hopefully it will remain such in the new Europe.

By the way, what are you planning to do with occupied Wallonia ? Direct annexation or creation of independent Wallonia ?

Finland would want Vardo because Kvens are ethnically finnish, and since Finland is going to stay independent, Russians want friendly, influencable Finland instead of hostile one claiming east karelia.

Also, is Åland still under USA occupation as shown in the map?

Vardo? You mean the city of Vardø in Finnmark? That part of Norway is mostly populated by ethnic Norwegians and Samis. The Kvens are no more than a few percent of the population, at best. A better reason would be Russia wanting ice free ports...

Holy crap, did Russia really roll back the front lines that far and that quickly? Damn, thats impressive. They must have had tons of troops in Asia to send to the front recently, as well as the help of the turncoat Finnish army.

This war is very close to coming to its end now. Germany is doomed, and her allies can't hope to hold out for much longer. Speaking of allies, has the Qing empire, Princely India, or Persia surrendered yet?

So, Germany didn't use the A-bomb? Quite unrealistic.

Moreover, get rid of those pesky Czechoslovaks!

If the Kaiser doesn't beg for peace or unleash the nukes, something is seriously wrong here.

I find it very plausible that the Germans didn't use their bombs, this isn't the end of the nation, or the civilization.

Aside from that

How do they know that nukes are as powerful in OTL? Fallout, and the massive impact of them shouldn't be known unless they were actually used?

I find it very plausible that the Germans didn't use their bombs, this isn't the end of the nation, or the civilization.

You just need to look to the Danubian example.

Excellent developments, Mitteleuropa continues to crumble and the Germans are practically helpless to stop it. I could perhaps see the Germans threatening to use nukes in a final desperate gambit (which would of course fail) but actually using nukes at this point in the war would accomplish nothing and would merely be an act of spite. Are the Germans really willing to let the world burn like that?

I support the creation of the German Provisional Goverment, hopefully those still under the Kaiser's rule will see that the UNA is willing to treat them leniently and therefore there will be more demands for the end of the war. I can see why the Russians might be suspicious but to be frank they didn't do anything to liberate Germany itself and are currently separated from it by hundreds of miles of hostile territory so they're not exactly in any position to be making demands.

@ SovietAmerika: Greece was originally occupied by Austrians, but Turkey took over the territory after the collapse of Danubian Federation. It's purely strategic move of Mitteleuropa, since there were already some Turkish troops in Greece before.

@ coorta88: I have plans with Wallonia too, but I'll reveal them later. ;)

@ Nikolai, Bergioyn, Zeldar155: Finnland demanded Vardø because of Kvens and national prestige (uniting all the Finnish people), while there is a Russian game behind that also. That's not all, Russians have other plans with Finland also. Current Russian objective is to make Russian-friendly Finland (alienated from Western dominated Scandinavia as strong as possible), in fact, Tsar wants Finland to become a minor brother of Russia. For further Finnish cooperation, Russians are even ready to give more concessions. As for Åland, it's still under US occupation, and its status needs to be decided in the future. It all depends on Russia and USA.

@ Kaiser_Mobius: Indeed, it really seems that Finns were holding on the Eastern Front. United Commonwealth exhausted itself in early phases of war (first conquest of Moscow was performed by Lithuanians, Russian counter-offensive destroyed many of Lithuanian units and second conquest of Moscow was already performed by Germans mostly), and Eastern Front was mostly in domain of Germans and Finns then (plus Danubian Federation had its part, but capitulation also knocked her out of play). As for other ME members, Princenly India is still holding her ground (Qings are now only the guests in Northern India), AlgOstAsien is on the way to anex Thailand, Persia is barely holding Russians on bay (Russians have became really strong, occupation of Chinese land allowed them to restore and even strenghten their power), while La Plata is doing very good against Brazil. There are also some elite German units fighting on Platinean side and La Plata has very modern army, but it's strange that massive Brazilian army can't stop them despite all expeditionary troops (US, CS, Canadian...).

@ Viden: Why should I get rid of Czechoslovakia? They are my allies. As for nukes, Germans are still deciding about that (war is not over yet), and Germans are not crazy fanatics despite all bad sides, and moral questions are holding them from unleashing nuclear armageddon.

@ Lurken: Germans are not completely passive, they have plans for the future.

@ Hochseeflotte: That's right. Nukes also were never used and they would be a lot weaker than IRL. And there use is also a great moral question. The nation which would start the nuclear war would get the mostly bad reputation in history. It would be something like unleashing deadly viral weapon that would destroy half of humanity. Personally, I'm not fond of the use of nukes in my game, but I included them in scenario to prevent the wars from happening to early. But if someone gets to desperate, nuclear war would still be possible.

@ Zhuge Liang: Good thinking. Russians are really suspicious about German Provisional Goverment, and that's why there is some rivalry with West in Scandinavia. Also, Russians will continue to try to get more influence in Germany, they don't want to be isolated from Central Europe after the war.

@ Razgriz 2K9: Destroying Kaiserreich might be the goal, but Germany shall not be destroyed. Germans should know that defeat doesen't mean the destruction of nation. This is also the cause for formation of German Provisional Goverment. If Germans would see defeat as end of civilization, they would surely use nukes without thinking.

@ Bergioyn: Thanks for pointing at that, it's my mistake at colouring the map. Corsica is of course French. Let's just say that revolt of Corsican nationalists happened and Italians gave a hand to French allies, so Italy controled Corsica for a few days (map was created in time of Italian control ).

Thanks for comments, everyone! I hope you don't mind for lack of pictures in this update, I rather gave one map where everything is well seen instead of posting tons of screenshots.

War of the Titans - 19

Königsberg, 15 March 2014

- Sire, news from the frontiline.

Kaiser Friedrich V von Preussen looked at colonel of Kaisergarde that entered the room. - I don't need any more bad news. Everyting is going down. It doesen't matter anymore...

- Bur Sire, those news are even more critical. Russians are already in Bessarabia, and they are only a few miles from Memel. Frontline is not going to bear this pressure. Morover, pro-Russian officers lead by General Mihov have performed coup in Bulgaria. Country has switched sides now...

- All our allies and friends...all are leaving us in this darkest hour. They sticked with us when we were great...everything is gone, it doesen't matter now. Civilized world is fading away, barbarism is on triumph. But we can still destroy their victory. Germany is not going to die alone. She is going to die with the rest of the world. It is better that our heirs won't live at all, than to live under the joke of barbarism. - Kaiser stood up and made his way to HQ. Everything what was left of German authorities was packed up in massive underground complex in Königsberg.

- Gott mit uns, Majestät.

- God has left us long ago. - answered the Kaiser and passed the guard, entering the Generalstab hall.

- Welcome, Sire. - the room was packed with officers. Kaiser barely saw anyone in civil dress those days. With the collapse of civil authority, military was now ruling the Reich. Feldmarschall Gunter von Esling was now de facto head of goverment.

- Feldmarschall, I will be quick. Let's stop pretending that the war can still be won. I have decided. Let's ruin their victory.

- Sire, what do you have in mind?

- Nuclear weapons. Feldmarschall, you have the key, commanders of missile bunkers have the keys and launch codes ready. Contact me with all commands, we will do it now.

- Sire, with all the respect, but I have to reject this offer.

Kaiser immediately bursted into rage. - How dare you? You are under my command, and you are responsible to me. I can put you to martial court for this disobedience.

- Sire, I have the plans for the Germany after the war. My men are in contact with Russians. I warn you to stop with this madness. Fatherland may lose this war, but we won't lose Fatherland because of this. We can use rivalry inside UNA to bargain the best for Germany. I am patriot and I won't allow that my homeland will be destroyed because of the crazy old man who thinks that he is a leader of universe, Your Majesty.

- Such a disrespect! This is outrageous! I will have you shot for this!

- You and which army? - Feldmarschall took the speaker and gave announcement to entire complex. - This is Feldmarschall Von Esling speaking. Kaiser is not able to perform his service any more. I am taking the command. Duties of chief of state are now in my domain until the end of extraordinary situation.

Both in HQ room and across the entire complex, Heer personel quickly disarmed the Kaisergarde. - Gentlemen, accompany the Kaiser into custodity. - Kaiser was completely broken. In the pasive way without resistance, accompanied by two officers, he left for his office where he would be locked and put under the guard.

Some weeks later

After the Kaiser's arrest by German military, Feldamarschall von Esling started intensive negotiations with Russians, hoping to use divisions inside UNA for the German best. Russians signed peace with Germany and declared that Germany surrendered to Russia, hoping to get entire Germany under their influence. This step angered the UNA which stated that German ''surrender'' can be only seen as separate peace. Tired of German joking with nuclear war threats, Western allies started offensive again, capturing Berlin. This put Russians in panic. Moscow called for joint peace conference.

Main Russian argument to achieve influence in Germany was Russian achievement to prevent nuclear war. Russians claimed that Gunter von Eseling was in fact their agent and that removal of Kaiser was in Russian achievement. Gunter von Esling confirmed Russian story, but probably only because of oportunism and not because he was real Russian agent (Felmarschall Von Eseling knew that Western UNA allies already picked their German friends to form post-war German goverment, and Von Esling was not viewed as reliable person in the West, as General Hans-Otto Budde revealed him as architect of war and grey eminence of German regime).

After the long talks and failure of plan for united neutral Germany, the decision that pleased both sides was made. West respected Russian good deeds in war (stubborn defence against Mitteleuropa and Russian preventing of nuclear war by cooperating with Gunter von Esling) and decided to reward Russia. But rewards was not given of sheer good will. It had practical background. West wanted to have one German state under its influence, without Russian messing. That's why ''Russian Germany'' was recognized in attemp to give Russians their playground in Germany, without messing with Western playground in Germany. Good walls make good neighbours, as they say.

Europe in May 2014:
war1-7.jpg

French (with support of Western allies) simply ''upgraded'' German Provisional Goverment and created new German state. Federal Republic of Germany was born in areas that were under administration of German Provisional Goverment. The rest was given to Russians, which received areas that were under French military control in time of German surrender (parts of Eastern Central Germany) and everything Eastern from that. In their sphere of influence, German Union was created from remaints of German Empire. Germans had to give away Memel as ''sign of friendship'' and areas of former United Baltic Duchy, which became Grand Baltic Duchy, protectorate of Russian Empire.
frg.jpg

Goverment of Federal Republic of Germany: General Hans-Otto Budde who lead German Provisional Goverment became the chief of land forces in Federal Republic of Germany.
dfr.jpg

Goverment of German Union: Feldmarschall Gunter von Esling became Tsar's loyal ally and mighty ''Vodz'' of pro-Russian German Union. He chosed Udo Voigd for second in command to lead the goverment with strong hand. Former kings of Scotland and England found a place in goverment according to their professions (Canadians didn't care what will be former pro-German monarchs of Britain doing in the future, it was enough for them when those monarchs formally droped their monarchic claims and titles, connected with Britain), while French didn't care about two former African Staathalters moving to German Union. Regime was also supported by some important industrialists, like Conrad Thyssen for example.
udr.jpg

In the North, Finns accepted important Russian offer. Russians wanted to secure their influence in Finland by offering an interesting deal to Finns. Eastern Karelia and Kola peninsula were offered to Finland under condition that State of Finland becomes a Grand Duchy of Finland with Russian Grand Duke as ruler. Despite the familiar sounding name, Grand Duchy of Finland was not the same as Finish entity inside Russian Empire in the past. Finland would remain independent and sovereign state, altough under great Russian influence. Despite being Russian, Grand Duke would be sovereign monarch (in times of old Grand Duchy, title of Grand Duke was reserved for Tsar himself, and Tsar was represented by Governor-General). This Grand Duchy didn't have any connections with Russian state, being sovereign monarchy. To give more diplomatic bribe to Finns, Russians even managed to successfully demand Aland from US authorities, giving it to Finland. Finland became Russian minor brother, with Finnish territory being open for Russian land, air and naval bases, but staying independence state, and most important of all, achieving great territorial gains.
fin_1.jpg

In the neighbourhood, United States and France liberated United Kingdom of Scandinavia with capital in Stockholm and ruled by Swedish King Carl XVI Gustaf. Scandinavian kingdom was composed of Sweden, Norway and Denmark. Canada decided to keep Iceland and Greenland in her domain, incorporating Iceland into Canada as province and Greenland as territory.
swe1.jpg

In the Balkans, new Bulgarian Tsar from the House of Romanov was crowned. Bulgarian Empire was granted strong influence over the Kingdom of Greece and Kingdom of Albania. Russians and Bulgarians decided to push someone that is easy to control to Greek throne. Former king of French puppet kingdom from the House of Hannover was crowned as the new Greek king. French didn't have any problems with that as they were glad that Hannoveran dynasty, occupying Greek throne now, won't be able to claim French throne anymore.
war2-7.jpg

Albania received king from House of Hesse, a former Breton monarch. He was crowned under the title ''Skanderbeg III of Albania''. For a diffrence of Bulgaria, Albania and Greece, Serbia stayed in French domain. Alexandre Karageorgevich, officer of French Air Force, finally claimed the Serbian throne under the name Alexander I. He became the second Serbian king from the House of Karageorgevich, succeding Peter I who had to leave Serbia during Weltkrieg. Montenegro became autonomous principality inside Serbia, ruled by prince from Montenegrin House of Petrovic-Njegos.
ser.jpg

Austria-Illyria was the successor of Danubian Federation, but without monarchist Habsburg rule. New state was a federal republic, composed of Republic of Austria and Republic of Illyria. This state was also in French domain.
war3-7.jpg

Goverment of Austria-Illyria: Popular Austro-German actor Arnold Schwarzenegger, famous for leading roles in movies from Babelsberg Studios film production, started a political career and became the President of Austria-Illyria.
ail.jpg

Hungary ended the war by surrendering to French forces. To counter Russian influence, Hungary was allowed to keep part of Transylvania and part of Banat. Hungary stayed a kingdom, ruled by regency. Habsburgs were prohibited to claim Hungarian throne, so Hungary stayed kingdom without a king, similar to Spain. Romania has fallen into Russian domain. Romania was allowed to keep Bessarabia under condition that Romania accepts a king from the House of Romanov.
hun.jpg

Most of the Polish-Lithuanian-Ruthernian-Moldavian Commonwealth (United Commonwealth) was occupied by Russia, while Czechoslovak troops managed to occupy part of Poland. Polish state was established by Czechoslovaks. Political vacuum in Poland was filled by the rule of Polish generals, former United Commonwealth officers. Russians were grumbling about Poland being part of legal Russian claims, and after seeing that small Poland enjoys support of Western UNA allies (Westerns didn't want that UNA would look like imperialist oppressor of small nations). Russia recognized Poland as independent state, but tried to impose a member of House of Romanov on potential Polish throne. Due to furious resistance from Poland, support of international community, lobbying of Polish emmigration in the West, and issues with establishment of Russian client states, Russians canceled their plans with Poland.
pol.jpg

Due to Russo-Bulgarian domination of mainland Greece, Greek royal claimant Theodore de la Roche changed his political ideas. He became staunt republican and even dropped his ducal title and royalist claims. In French-controlled Crete, he established Republic of Crete and became a President. Turkey signed peace and preserved her pre-war borders.
cre.jpg

United Kingdom was reborn.
war350.jpg

Liberals were victorious in the first elections in restored UK. Now it was the time to end the war on the other continents too.
war351.jpg

Iceland to Canada! A most grevious insult! Åland to Finland! There are almost only swedish-phones on Åland, they belong to Sweden!

By the way, what happened to the royal houses of Denmark and Norway?

Wow. A very nice settlement in Europe. I love seeing some of your choices for the rulers of these new states (particularly Arnold ruling over Austria-illyria).

Now, time to finish off the last holdouts. With your final victory in Europe, the remnants of Mitteleuropa will not last much longer.

Great update.