• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

HelmuthM

Colonel
79 Badges
May 12, 2009
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Semper Fi
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Iron Cross
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Divine Wind
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Darkest Hour
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Field Marshal
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • 500k Club
  • Victoria 2
CSA does not form properly. Some important Southern states like North Carolina or Florida may remain in the USA which is not right historically. Random events should only be for border states like Kentucky and Missouri. Is there any fix available?

The following states should always secede:

South Carolina (December 20, 1860)
Mississippi (January 9, 1861)
Florida (January 10 1861)
Alabama (January 11 1861)
Georgia (January 19, 1861)
Louisiana (January 26 1861)
Texas (February 1 1861)

Virginia (April 17, 1861)
Arkansas (May 6, 1861)
North Carolina (May 20 1861)
Tennessee (June 8 1861)

The reason Florida doesn't join the CSA in the game is because it's usually still a colony and not considered a slave state.

A way to fix this is to add a special statewide flag to Florida so when House Divide (with a slight moddification to said event) fires Florida joins the CSA as long as the player hasn't converted Florida into a Slave Free State.

IMHO

Also, it depends on how fast you have the Civil War. If you do all the actions to keep CON down (Kansas-Nebraska Act and so on) it will give the events enough time to fire. If you don't, you can get the ACW in the mid 1840s if you do it right, and some states don't have time to go CSA.

There are much greater issues that need to be worked out with the ACW than this. Also, with the war usually starting in the late 1840s, how can you be sure what states would and wouldn't secede? You would need to change many other events to make it reasonable, in my opinion.

Well right now you have no control anyways, the secession events that add CSA cores always fire regardless of what you do, and always turn the same states into Confederate states. Unless ofc you admit them as free states, like you could with Texas and Florida.

Playing as Mexico i tried to help out the CSA, SOIed the CSA(Which kept getting reversed by the USA...funny how that works...) and won the war.

But i was very dissapointed that i had to do all the work. The ACW historically wasnt a walk over for the Union. Ingame the USA just masses a large stack, wipes out the first confederate stack, and its game over for them.

As soon as the truce expired, the CSA declared on the USA but refused to bring me into the war(why do i not egt a casus belli???). I had to watch them lose 3 states as part of the peace deal.

I then tried to declare on the USA to give the CSA back those states, but they were nowhere to be found in the war goals. In short, any "confederate X" territory that the USA wins cannot be obtained as part of a war goal as they will not show up in the list. I gave up and watched the USA re-unite the CSA as the CSA kept refusing to use the call ally button.

There are a number of known bugs (I believe!) atm which make the CSA much weaker than it ought to be when it appears.

I'm not sure whether the average start date is WAD, but if you follow through the events and make sure your population doesn't get too militant, you can postpone the war until the late 1850s or early 1860s and by then all the slave states will get CSA cores. If you mismanage things or get unlucky, though, and the split fires early, some states probably won't have enough time to join up.

EDIT: One way to make things go longer on average might be to change the upper house ratio to be 50% liberal instead of 40%, which is pretty easy to do in the event file. The other thing I notice poking around in there is that the border states will never secede, whether or not they have CSA cores, so don't expect them to.

Last edited:
The game is meant in my opinion to be played as USA, as CSA has little or no chance of succes. More as CSA you do not gt cores on the other US provinces, no cores on MEXICO or UK, no event to buy the "icebox", no war of unification CB. I've played as USA and let the CSA have a ehite peace an in 5 years or so I got an event to inherit the CSA. No such event fired when I've played the CSA. Now I wonder why do you have 2 options, when "someone" decided you should only play as the union?

The game is meant in my opinion to be played as USA, as CSA has little or no chance of succes. More as CSA you do not gt cores on the other US provinces, no cores on MEXICO or UK, no event to buy the "icebox", no war of unification CB. I've played as USA and let the CSA have a ehite peace an in 5 years or so I got an event to inherit the CSA. No such event fired when I've played the CSA. Now I wonder why do you have 2 options, when "someone" decided you should only play as the union?

The CSA shouldn't have cores on Northern states, Alaska or UK provinces. The whole point of the CSA is that it's a southern slave focused nation. The only provinces it should have cores on outside of the South are the border states and South West.

The CSA shouldn't have cores on Northern states, Alaska or UK provinces. The whole point of the CSA is that it's a southern slave focused nation. The only provinces it should have cores on outside of the South are the border states and South West.

The CSA should be able to choose an event to reunite the union under their banner. But i think they need more military units at start first, because they just get zerged down in the first battle and lose the whole war right there and then.

Indeed.

The CSA wished to secede, assure its independence by force and then be left alone as an independent state - as opposed to, obviously, annexing the entirety of the former USA and enforcing its laws on all the other states.

Austen

The CSA should be able to choose an event to reunite the union under their banner. But i think they need more military units at start first, because they just get zerged down in the first battle and lose the whole war right there and then.

No it shouldn't. The leaders of the CSA had no intention of filling their national with a bunch of liberal emancipation supporters that'd undermine the regime. The upper strata of the CSA's population also looked down upon the mercantile/industrial nature of the Northern States believing them to be little less than money grabbing nouveau riches. If anything a nascent CSA would look towards Mexico and the Carribean for any expansion outside of the South West of the USA. What Austen said pretty much sums it up.

Perhaps not Alaska, but UK has a habit of colonising the west coast of America, Mexico does the same. You get those as a core with US but not as CSA. The same applies to Cuba(it's an event you trigger as US for slavery or something)

I fixed the trigger for the ACW. The war triggers if slavery is outlawed, the republicans get into power or mtth happens (on average) in 1861 if dixie conciousness is above 7, later if less.

Civil War Problem

I think the problem with the Civil War is that all of the US troops at the time of succession tend to be Yankee. So, so the CSA is heavily outnumbered at the beginning. Also, in my last game all of the factories in the south disappeared.

I would propose:

1)Either having more dixie soldiers at start or a decision that turns a certain percentage of Dixies and Texans to soldiers.

2)Some kind of shipbuilding for the CSA.

But i was very dissapointed that i had to do all the work. The ACW historically wasnt a walk over for the Union. Ingame the USA just masses a large stack, wipes out the first confederate stack, and its game over for them.
The Battle of Bull Run (Manassas) was meant to be just this. The Union Army marched southward toward Richmond, and had it defeated Stonewall Jackson at Manassas, they would've captured Richmond and crippled the Confederacy in one go.

But enough history. What you could do is start the Confederacy with some units (an army in Virginia and perhaps one in New Orleans/Nashville).

At the onset of the ACW the US should have a tiny Army, the DOW should have to wait for the Union to get some sort of CB, giving the CSA time field some sort of Army.

Maybe not in game, but in the real world, they had a pretty decent shot at victory.

Only if they had figured out a way to Arm the slaves. The South had better generals that the North, and was able to mobilized, higher quality troops faster. They did not have the manpower to hold off the Union once it mobilized.

Is it ever possible for free states to become slave states before the ACW event fires? It doesn't make since that the event still fires, even when the southern democrats are in political power and removing reforms.