• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Yes, naming the japanese "factions" according to century old and out of place clan names goes against almost all Pdox has done in terms of naming. Why not go with a regionnal name, since it's obviously the way those "factions" are separated.
Just picture this : I come to dominate Japan with the Minamoto "nation", get cores all around the homeland, but still don't want to form Japan. I'll be Minamoto till 1821, an abstract thing with a milenium-old name ?
What's in a name? And the four you picked don't work particularly well in 1399 any more than the Paradox four work in the sixteenth century.
Well, tough luck for them, maybe they can take a few minutes and create a few other nations for a correct 1399 Muromachi start in Japan, just the way they did for the rest ? It is supposed to ba an expension focused (among other things) on Japan right ? The present simplification makes no sense, in no EU3 time frame.

Last edited:
Yes, you can add more daimyos. The only thing you need to add to the country history file is 'daimyo = yes' and voila: you have another daimyo! Of course, you'll need to add provinces to the country as well and add some other files...

Yes, any country can be scripted to be a daimyo in the country history files. So in theory you could make a bunch of opm daimyos.

Oh, how i love you guys ! I dreamt it, you made it ! :)

Really interesting DevDiary :)

Modding question: will it be possible to duplicate this shogunate and authority system, for example for France and her vassals?

It should be made possible to duplicate the system. That would be awesome!

By the way, will there be some "Salic" law for these clans? Or making the dynasty names county-specific? I don't like some guy of the dynasty "Qing" popping up in Ming...

Disappointing stuff, what has been done to improve the core game?

From the 4 expansions, DW was supposed to be the one that focuses on improving core aspects the least :p
Thats not to say that there are no improvements. Paradox has already said that Trade system has been improved and that cultural-specific buildings have been added. Later DD's will show those features but expect that most of DD's are focused on Asian countries.

What about Ryukyu? Any changes there?

Probably engine limitations or too hard to make fool-proof.
Like, what if a nation is in several of these arrangements? How would these interact? How would you integrate that in the interface?

It would have been nice but I can totally imagine several reasons that they'd rather not.

RL example. France using new Shogunate system. Burgundy is a "daymio", but some of Burgundian provinces are in HRE. Let the fun begin :D

ah Ryukyu, I really hope it is possible to play as them and start conquering Japan, then establish a new dynasty as them :)

Indeed. Technically Ryukyu should not be Japanese culture, it should be Japonic (which can be a catch-all for the not quite Japanese cultures) or Ryukyuan.

(sorry if answered before, I'm kind of in a hurry :D )

1. Did you rework the TI? Looks nicer than before.
2. So Minamoto is 'Shogun' in your screenshot. Will he be named
after his type of Government (King XYZ), after his Title (Shogun XYZ)
or as 'Emperor XYZ' in the main screen. I disliked it when it still said
King Hans of Germany instead of Emperor Hans of Germany (unless you
had the imperial govt. decission).
3. I hope you don't forget to change the symbol of Japans Shogunate. 2 Eagles are confusing :p
4. Will there be a wargoal "claim shogunate" because you mentioned that it might be possible through war. Could you add a wargoal "Claim Emperor-title" for the HRE too then? If the emperor-title changes from one to another country just give the country a chance to re-take it by force without force-annexing the current emperor ;) Maybe with some infamy-hit or legitimacy set to zero.
5. Will all daymos auto-guarantee each other or how do you manage it that you cannot just take one after another as foreign power making it unrealistically easy to grab japanese provinces.
6. One minor thing that comes in mind when I think of nowadays china. Isn't there a population-limit for a province at 999.999? If you don't have enough memory reserved or something don't mind, but it would be cool if we could have 1m+ cities (I noticed it in some previous Eastern Roman empire Game)
7. I am really looking forward to this.

Meh.

I could care less what you do to Japan as I'm never going to play it.

So two weeks until an actual interesting dev diary... :/

I don't want to sound like a whiner, but this system of only having four (out-of-date) factions does seem uncharacteristically lazy for Paradox. Now there are two factors here - the number of factions, and which factions. I completely agree that, for gameplay purposes, it is a bad idea to have too many Daimyo factions (though a few more might be welcome; even CA's Shogun: Total War will have eight, and I thought that was cutting corners). However, these factions should at least vary over the timeframe. So, say I load up a game in 1399, the most prominent real-life clans of 1399 should be represented. But say I load up a game in 1600, it should be the most prominent real-life clans of that period who are represented. Paradox did this for the rest of the world (heck, you can even play as Sulu if you load up the right date!), so it would seem bizarre to say the least if I were to load up a game in 1560 and see the Minamoto, Taira etc. instead of Oda, Takeda and so forth.

Europa Universalis in its current state is a game that spans six centuries and the entire globe...

1821 - 1399 = 422.
1 century = 100 years, hence 422 years = 4,22 centuries.
Not 6. :confused:

I'm just happy to have another version of the HRE to mod. I'll probably just leave Japan as is, stripping out the Shogunate to use elsewhere, and adding 3 or 4 OPM states in Japan. I'll likely move the Shogunate to the Middle East as well, perhaps assigning the Ottomans, Syria, the Mamluks, and a resurgent al-Andalus as daimyos. I'm impressed. The mechanics are all that matter to me though. All muffin, no icing.

perhaps this is a hint at timeframe expansion

I am pretty sure that it does cover 6 centuries: 400 years, plus one 1 year of one century, and 21 of another