• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Showing developer posts only. Show all posts in this thread.

Besuchov

Studio Manager, PDS
Paradox Staff
64 Badges
Mar 6, 2001
  • Sengoku
  • King Arthur II
  • Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition
  • Leviathan: Warships
  • Magicka
  • Majesty 2
  • Majesty 2 Collection
  • March of the Eagles
  • Naval War: Arctic Circle
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Rome Gold
  • Semper Fi
  • Impire
  • Ship Simulator Extremes
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • Warlock 2: The Exiled
  • Starvoid
  • Teleglitch: Die More Edition
  • The Showdown Effect
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • Diplomacy
  • Hearts of Iron Anthology
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Cities in Motion
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Darkest Hour
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Dungeonland
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • For The Glory
  • For the Motherland
  • Gettysburg
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Heir to the Throne
"Of what real value is a title? The power is the only important thing"

This week we have been busy with some of the stuff that gives this expansion its name, namely some country specific mechanics for Japan (we are also working on China but that's for another week).

First, a little on why we are doing this. Europa Universalis in its current state is a game that spans six centuries and the entire globe, and all this with an ambition to make a game that feels historical yet is also fun at the same time. Naturally, we had to focus on certain areas and this means that while you might feel the game gives a good enough feel when playing European countries, the experience suffers when it comes to countries like Japan or China. Now, the time has come to add another layer of game play to these countries.

So, what are we doing with Japan? As many of you know, Japan was a very divided country during this era, and we are trying to bring a little bit of this into the game. We have been playing around with the rules for Japan in a way that brings out the internal dynamics without changing the EU3 game play too much. What we ended up with was a system where you can play one of four Daimyos, struggling for the power of Shogun. Only one of these Daimyos can at any time hold the title of Shogun, and only the Shogun can do diplomacy with the outside world.

Some of the more historically savvy among you will notice that the map at the start of the game doesn't really look like a historical map of Japan at the time. The reason for this is that the areas controlled by different families in the era were often fractured and the families rose and fell in a way that doesn't really work within the constraints of EU3. We hope that we can capture the feel of the period even if we don't get the geography exactly right. If you think I'm wrong... well, everything is moddable as usual. :)
The Shogun has a special value called Authority which represents his standing with the other Daimyos and with the emperor. As this value increases or decreases, the Daimyos get access to more or less diplomatic options that they can use in their internal power struggle (Daimyos can only do diplomacy within Japan though). Should the Shogun's authority fall too low, he will be forced to resign and a bitter struggle ensues, with all Daimyos competing to make the others recognize them as the new Shogun through war or diplomacy. Should Japan be attacked by foreigners though, all the factions will instantly unite to see off the invaders.

There are a lot more fine points to this system of course, but I hope to have given you a taste of what you can expect. Next week I'll mention something about China.

Attachments

• shogunate.png
    0 bytes · Views: 12.532
Modding question: will it be possible to duplicate this shogunate and authority system, for example for France and her vassals?

No, currently, as with the hre, there can only be one. What you can do is remove the shogunate and use it for france though.

Yes, you can add more daimyos. The only thing you need to add to the country history file is 'daimyo = yes' and voila: you have another daimyo! Of course, you'll need to add provinces to the country as well and add some other files...

But am i right to assume that, on the other hand, one can add more than four nations in the Shogunate ? MEIOU and several other mods add many japanese clans...

Yes, any country can be scripted to be a daimyo in the country history files. So in theory you could make a bunch of opm daimyos.

(sorry if answered before, I'm kind of in a hurry :D )

1. Did you rework the TI? Looks nicer than before.
2. So Minamoto is 'Shogun' in your screenshot. Will he be named
after his type of Government (King XYZ), after his Title (Shogun XYZ)
or as 'Emperor XYZ' in the main screen. I disliked it when it still said
King Hans of Germany instead of Emperor Hans of Germany (unless you
had the imperial govt. decission).
3. I hope you don't forget to change the symbol of Japans Shogunate. 2 Eagles are confusing :p
4. Will there be a wargoal "claim shogunate" because you mentioned that it might be possible through war. Could you add a wargoal "Claim Emperor-title" for the HRE too then? If the emperor-title changes from one to another country just give the country a chance to re-take it by force without force-annexing the current emperor ;) Maybe with some infamy-hit or legitimacy set to zero.
5. Will all daymos auto-guarantee each other or how do you manage it that you cannot just take one after another as foreign power making it unrealistically easy to grab japanese provinces.
6. One minor thing that comes in mind when I think of nowadays china. Isn't there a population-limit for a province at 999.999? If you don't have enough memory reserved or something don't mind, but it would be cool if we could have 1m+ cities (I noticed it in some previous Eastern Roman empire Game)
7. I am really looking forward to this.

1. Yes
2. Not decided yet.
3. The interface is being reworked, it will have a distinct icon
4. The mechanics for becoming the shogun is a little bit more complicated than that. But in most cases you will have to fight all or most of the other daimyos to get them to recognize you as the new shogun.
5. From the outside, most diplomacy can only be done with the emperor (and the current shogun will be the actual one making the decisions). If someone declares war on Japan, all internal struggle will cease and all daimyos will join in the war.
6. Can't say anything about this.
7. That's good to hear.

So if you're not playing as Japan... do you see it as Japan or as the divided factions?

It will be seen as distinct factions, diplomacy can only be made with Japan though.

Can the nation opt to let other nations become Daimyos as they expand off the island? I feel if an enemy nation has a despotic monarchy or in a tribal one the incorporation into the Daimyo system would be rather easy.

No, Japan is only for the Japanese. They don't want to share it with foreigners.

Not entirely impressed. I mean really it just looks like you've stuck the HRE into japan :/

Look harder.

The daimyo system is based on the HRE code-wise, but it works differently from the HRE system. Most notably, daimyos won't have autonomy to act outside of Japan; all diplomacy will be conducted by the Emperor. This maintains the outwardly united/inwardly fractured nature of period Japan, which wasn't true of the HRE, where individual princes often maintained relations with foreign powers, sometimes against the will of the emperor.

The HRE and the Shogunate have very little in common. Diplomacy is conducted by the Shogun, but through the emperor.
The Shogun can form an alliance between Korea and Japan and it will stick even if the shogunate changes (if the partners doesn't actively revoke it). In case of a civil war, Korea won't get involved though as it's allied with Japan and not a specific daimyo.

Sute]{h;11675027 said:
So if the Shogun vassalizes Korea the vassalization will transfer if the Shogun changes as well?

Korea will be a Vassal of Japan not the personal vassal of a particular Daimyo.

so what happens if the 4 daimyos were fighting each other and suddenly a foreign country invades? are the internal wars suddenly postponed and all armies suddenly controlled by the shogun?

also, what is stopping the shogun from abusing other daimyos armies in war and made sure they die and suddenly sign a peace treaty, leaving other daimyos without armies and an easy reunification of japan for the shogun

The Daimyos will always control their own armies. If they are fighting a civil war against each other and another country declares war upon them, the Daimyos will stop fighting each other to unite against the foreign enemy.