• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
As a Dane from Copenhagen, I wholeheartedly approve of the Prussian annexation of Jutland. And that of Iceland and Greenland. At least Sweden gets Norway before the game starts. Now if only we can auction off Fyn and Bornholm.

I do the same. And why shouldn't the ai do things a player does?

Read the arguments against this happening to find out why people don't think either AI or player should be able to just waltz off with all Jutland. Sandbox is fine, but there should be an attempt at least to try to model structural historical factors. I feel we need a Magna Mundi like project for Victoria...

Maybe this is the problem? Historically Germany had no interest in taking Jutland and shouldn't have one in the game. The population was filled with an entirely homogeneous Danish (except for a a couple of hundred well-integrated Jews and Huguenots), mostly peasant, population who had strong feelings about the new ideals about nationalism, fraternity and democracy. Taking Jutland and not the rest of Denmark (as was proposed) not only makes no sense, it would have also been a diplomatic catastrophe to the balance of power and a political failure resulting in continuous unrest and revolt (the only thing that comes near is 29/8/1943>). In realpolitik-terms there would be economic and political maluses combined with military gains.

Oh really? What about East Switzerland, which is taken by somebody (mostly SP/Italy) in every game? Chunks of Spain taken by France and England? Spanish Crete?

If the AI thinks this is such a great thing to do, maybe additional factors are needed to "convince" them to reconsider one more time? With the current mechanics Britain and Russia could have a Friendly opinion of Denmark so they can intervene, but even this falls short as a great war over this would be unrealistic.

Maybe, but who exactly intervened in Second Schleswig War? And btw, you mean real Great War had perfect reasons?

Taking Jutland is not "perfectly reasonable" if your aim is to have a plausible game but if you're using gamey tactics and you're on your way to WC anyway, sure.

Not necessarily WC, but by 80s it becomes really dull (as Germany). You have huge most advanced army but according to your logic it should just sit and wait (because everybody is afraid of you and will never attack).

The UKs #1 priority on the continent was balance of power. If borders changed but no one ended up as a threat or with having undisputed influence over the others, all was good.

Off topic, but... It just so funny that everybody keep mentioning UK was all that "balance" concerned. UK was most imperialistic and dominating power over last centuries. Now in XXI we have USA, so UK is finally "at peace". Don't want to start dispute over this, but if France had Napoleon and Germany had Hitler, UK was like this since XVII. But history is written by winners and we hear this "balance-concern" thing.

Bismarck didn't wonder, he knew. He objected strongly to the annexing of Alsace-Lorraine, but Wilhelm II of Prussia wanted it, because the Germans wanted it. Bismarck knew it would create an Achilles' heel in the German Empire between Germany and France.

France alone had no chance versus Germany, and after the war France was pretty isolated. If Germany was isolated prior to World War 1 it was due to several blunders they made after 1871, and specially after Bismarck left power. Above all, the naval build up that really offended the UK, as well as the overall arrogant diplomatic attitude of Germany.

Also, one thing was getting land from "uncivilized people", the other was taking land in Europe. White man´s burden and all that.

notice how ai prussia didnt take jutland in the AHD live stream
smugdog.gif

Godamnit Svip! I just kicked my addiction to your works!

Off topic, but... It just so funny that everybody keep mentioning UK was all that "balance" concerned. UK was most imperialistic and dominating power over last centuries. Now in XXI we have USA, so UK is finally "at peace". Don't want to start dispute over this, but if France had Napoleon and Germany had Hitler, UK was like this since XVII. But history is written by winners and we hear this "balance-concern" thing.

Well, it was the UK's number one concern in continental affairs. The UK has hte strength that it is across the sea from all the other Great Powers and that none of them have the resources to create a fleet that can match hers, whilst still fighting the others. If one power gains dominance, then they can spare the resources to build a fleet, or use their influence to hurt the UK in other ways. It makes sense to do what you can to maintain the balance of power in that circumstance, as shown by actions such as the Entente with France against Germany.

To the whole German Unification topic I highly reccomend reading a new book: Bismark, A Life, by Jonathan Stienberg. I have done a fair amount of reading on the unification and of Bismark but this was a wonderfully well researched and well written account of unification. From this book and side reading from it I am starting now I am learning much.

All in all for AHD though I still think it looks like they've addressed many of the issues that plague the game at this point. I do hope the African situation gets better, thats one of my main concerns.

There was one moment during that live stream when noone was looking at podcat's game but rather at what was happening in the background behind him... Just saying. :)