• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Catching up makes me realize I really need a good CK campaign. I don't think I've played in several years. LOL
It is a privilege to have a visit from the Director. I first made my way to Paradox as a EU4 player and journeyed to the forums in search of tips. Years later, the three AARs that I remember are not gameplays. The three are your Rise & Fall, @stnylan's Kanem Bornu and @JerseyGiants88's Florence (still ongoing). Every mention of the Builder, the Director and the Genius is a small thank you.

I do not know what makes a good CK campaign as CK is the most sandboxy Paradox game. The character screen is one of the greatest screens in any video game. The smallest detail can lead to the most wonderful story. One of my favorite from the Avon campaign is from Duchess Jelena. She was married at 16 to a man older than parents and when she succeeded her mother at age 17, she was lovers with her older husband (very rare for CK2 married couples). I am a big believer in exploring rabbit holes.

• 3Like
Reactions:
1425 #2 Byzantine Empire
Mircea Progonovic: Dad, Uncle-Admiral @diskoerekto took me to Prester John's Magic Carpet Showroom. @Reykvolc let us take a test flight on an authentic DeLauren woven by @uhhhscizo himself. It is a mohair shag with feathery fringe with less than 200 flight-hours and has never been higher than 100 meters or flown faster than 55 knots.
Count (consort) Dmitar: We are NOT getting a sporty flying carpet. Do you know how much I pay in premiums to @Greek the Nick's Greece Epirus Insurance Co-Op? Besides, your mother wants to upgrade her standard straw broom to an up-time corn swifter.

Despot Vukasin of Epirus, Byzantine Empire Mystikos, greets the AAReaders upon their landing in Constantinople aboard Thunder and Lightning. After receiving a briefing from his son on the Eastern Islamic realms (Caliphate and Rajasthan), Vukasin dispatches Dmitar, Countess Thomais and their four children home to Crimea aboard the dragon Charger ridden by DragonRider @AxolotlKnight. Lt. @Macavity116 accompanies them to instruct 14yo Mircea and 10yo Serapion on their new crossbows. Dmitar and Mac plan to spend some time hunting and fishing as well.

Overhearing some of the Readers discussing Despot Vukasin's epithet 'the Confessor', Captain @Chac1 of the Varangian Guard invites Capt. @JSB217118 to observe a service conducted by Vukasin and his Byzantine Security Agency (motto 'Be Prepared'). @Chac1 adds that several newspapermen have been invited to attend. Upon his return, a shell-shocked @JSB217118 is asked what he saw. @JSB217118 responds that what happens in the catacombs, remains in the catacombs. (Centuries later with careful study of @JSB217118's notes and Vukasin's memoirs; there is no complete record of the actual events, but one newspaper reporter moved to the Sultanate of Rum and became the diarist for the Sultan's harem, a second joined the Byzantine Braille Boarding School and the third joined a trade mission to the Ming Empire.)

The Basileus is currently residing at Kaneia in Krete's mountains (modern Greece). Citizen Rocky 'the Bull' Winkle shepherded the Livestock Protection Act through Krete's Assembly. The Act bars dragons from Krete. Despot Vukasin has arranged for the AAReaders to sail with Captain A and her female crew aboard the Siren's Song. Captain A finds Admiral @Bullfilter at the rail and asks if anything is wrong. @Bullfilter responds that his tummy is producing higher waves than the Sea of Marmara. Captain A says that she will have Miss V, the cook, bring a pot of ginger tea to his stateroom. Aboard ship, Despot Vukasin briefs the Readers on the current status of the Byzantine Empire.

26September1399 35yo @alscon (Athanasios GAVRAS (Vukasin's first cousin)) was elected Basileus (Athanasios II) of the Byzantine Empire. 60yo Basileus @alscon died in his sleep (natural causes) 26August1424. 58yo @Idhrendur (Leon MAMALIS) was elected Basileus (Leon VIII). The Empire has increased from 332 to 448 holdings this quarter-century. The major event was Basileus @alscon acquiring his birth-right, the Kingdom of Jerusalem from its boy-king. His (and Vukasin's) grandmother had been forced out as Queen of Jerusalem. (The boy-king had been facing a rebellion. The rebel scum went from kicking the snot out of a boy-king to being steamrolled by the mighty Byzantine army.)​
58yo Greek Catholic Basileus @Idhrendur is Midas touched and diligent, while adopting a rulership focus (7-13-21-8-5). The Basileus has three kings, eighteen dukes and eleven counts reporting to him, and he controls an army of almost twenty-three thousand men. 21September1424 (less than a month into office), attacked the Kingdom of Bulgaria to reclaim the County of Tyrnovo (empire dejure claim). Anne Howe is scoring the Empire with a nine-point lead. Basileus @Idhrendur is rocking thirty-nine bad boy points causing both Christians and Moslems to form defensive coalitions.​
At the banquet, Basileus @Idhrendur sat Captain @JSB217118 to his right and would only eat and drink what either @JSB217118 or Despot Vukasin tried. (I am not saying that @Idhrendur is paranoid but he has a Mystikos/heir with an intrigue score in the 99th percentile. While @Idhrendur's 54 total stats are well above average, Vukasin's stats are even higher.

Shout-outs: @Reykvolc's CK2 https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/in-the-land-of-prester-john.1616334/ begun in December and has run into computer problems.

@alscon recognized that the first GAVRAS ruler (late 1200s) had a Gothic name, when I researched, I found that the GAVRAS dynasty started as Crimean Goths before assimilating to Greek culture. Has anyone seen @alscon lately?​
@Idhrendur's active HoI4 https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/the-empire-strikes-back-part-4.1565575/ begun January2023. While I have not read this, I have read one of his ancient Byzantine CK works.​
Next: Our final stop is the Holy Roman Empire, tenth straight #1.

Thank You for reading, liking and commenting. A special thank you to all of the 'volunteers' (draftees), whose name appears. If anyone wants to be removed, please let me know and I will edit you out. Colorized items are from the game. Some events have been dramatized.

Last edited:
  • 5Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Citizen Rocky 'the Bull' Winkle shepherded the Livestock Protection Act through Krete's Assembly. The Act bars dragons from Krete.
Well darn. I was really looking forward the sight of giant scaly monsters flying around the Greek Isles. I know a Byzantine-era castle on nearby Altis Lemnos Island that would make a perfect Dragon's Hoard.

• 1Love
  • 1Like
Reactions:
This always puts a smile on my face and gives me a chuckle. Thank you.

Captain @Chac1 of the Varangian Guard
I am honored, sir. Happy to serve! (I will note that if you say that quickly with the title attached you might think of this song. That's a song I think you'd like @Midnite Duke .)
Well darn. I was really looking forward the sight of giant scaly monsters flying around the Greek Isles. I know a Byzantine-era castle on nearby Altis Lemnos Island that would make a perfect Dragon's Hoard.
What? Dragons flying over the Black Sea aren't good enough for you, @Macavity116 ? You have all the magic and sci-fi over in the Emerald Isle right now. Perhaps that has spoiled you a bit?
@Chac1 adds that several newspapermen have been invited to attend.
Something I would definitely be interested in, no doubt. I see Avon has become quite technologically advanced for CK2 (we will leave aside the new @Macavity116 project shaping up in the CK3 zone when it comes to technology). Are we already up to 1440 and the printing press?

• 1Love
  • 1Like
Reactions:
It's nice to see an ERE that controls the Holy Land...

Is it bad that I very much want to know what happened in the catacombs?

• 1Love
  • 1Like
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
  • 1Love
  • 1Like
Reactions:
The dragon restriction only applies to Crete (Krete). I would not think about banning anything that breathes fire and belches smoke from Vulcan's (Roman is easier than Greek name) Isle. I often throw multiple ideas in one sentence. On this one, I had three: Rocky and Bullwinkle; Crete and bull culture; keeping dragons out would weaken Vukasin. I have been informed that the law was not anything to do with Basileus @Idhrendur's fear of his Mystikos but rather Dragon Express cutting into the Basileus's profits from his mail/parcel business.

I am sorry that you would not able to meet the Basileus and Kaiser, but your training sessions with the boys are very important. The National Museum in Philadelphia has a cross-bow on display that is reputed to be from your training sessions. Your assistance will be added to the display when the trip's records are declassified. Please be careful, if you commiserate with Countess Thomais about not traveling to the two final stops. While her husband may not mind, especially if you and your father hunt and fish with him; her boyfriend is a very dangerous man.

Thank you for reading and commenting.

• 1Like
Reactions:
This always puts a smile on my face and gives me a chuckle. Thank you.

I am honored, sir. Happy to serve! (I will note that if you say that quickly with the title attached you might think of this song. That's a song I think you'd like @Midnite Duke .)

What? Dragons flying over the Black Sea aren't good enough for you, @Macavity116 ? You have all the magic and sci-fi over in the Emerald Isle right now. Perhaps that has spoiled you a bit?

Something I would definitely be interested in, no doubt. I see Avon has become quite technologically advanced for CK2 (we will leave aside the new @Macavity116 project shaping up in the CK3 zone when it comes to technology). Are we already up to 1440 and the printing press?
Thank you for reading and commenting. Yes, I enjoy Joel but I would prefer a photo montage of the UPTOWN GIRL (either present or 80s or anything in between) while I listen. Capt. @Chac1 of the Varangian Guard, I thank you for your loyalty to the Progonovic family. After Vukasin's death, the Guard transferred to the Kingdom of Epirus from the Byzantine Empire. In Avon, we care little for butterfly effects (if something goes wrong, you just go further into the past). One of the major purposes of the flights is improving the genius' health. Think Quantum Leap and Connecticut Yankee in King's Arthur Court, there are definite tech leaks. The newspapermen are just basic rabble-rousing scum that Basileus @Idhrendur and Despot Vukasin want to see the error of their ways. They probably have a hand-printed one-page manifesto that they read to crowds. In my alternate up-time, I have my home in Atlantis (alternate name for America borrowed from @KiratRawr's Timeline 88 : Great Powers of the Early Modern Period (An AI Only Megcampaign Part 1) being colonized by Avon's owner of Gloucester, England, the Knights Templars. My last playing before computer crash, had two Progonovics in Gloucester controlling the Templars' treasury and military. Coincidence or inside knowledge?

• 2Like
Reactions:
It's nice to see an ERE that controls the Holy Land...

Is it bad that I very much want to know what happened in the catacombs?
Thank you for reading and commenting. It is a large KoJ, for it controls a few interior counties and all of de jure KoJ. The ERE is in four parts: a) a few Crimean provinces north of the Black Sea b) southern Balkans, Aegean islands western Anatolia (there is a two-three province wide strip from Black to Med that has two Bulgaria provinces, a Rum province and seven Anatolia (also owns Samos) provinces) c) eastern Anatolia to the Caspian moving northwards into the Caucasus d) the Holy Land. The ERE has been having a golden age and rapid expansion since the Year of the Five Basileuses (1363). @alscon's Gavras dynasty was in charge for over sixty years except for a few months (Vukasin did not cause the 42yo Basileus to die of stress) and there has not been a civil war since 1363.

Vukasin's diaries, that were recovered by @JSB217118 before Indiana Jones/Germans/Russians/French, have not been declassified so we do not know exactly what happened in the catacombs. We can guess the traitor that became diarist for Rum harem was castrated, the scumbag that went to Braille Boarding-School was blinded, and the subversive that went to China was blinded/castrated/both whichever the Ming Emperor preferred. While Serbs like Vukasin was not permitted to blind/castrate; it suggests a) Basileus @Idhrendur approved the exercise, b) Vukasin having Arberian (Albanian) ancestors received special privileges, or c) Vukasin did not care. (I was trying to rationalize why anyone would call the unholy Vukasin 'the Confessor, until I realized that Vukasin was not confessing but rather causing others to confess).

• 1Like
Reactions:
This is only proper. For the faith!
Thank you for reading and commenting. You must have been Basileus @alscon's spokesperson for if you squint you can see that the ERE army was only protecting pilgrims during the KoJ civil war. But both Basileus @alscon and King @Werther were Catholics and @Werther was not removed from his lands (after @alscon's death, @Werther would reclaim his throne from @alscon's daughter). Both Basileus @alscon and Basileus @Idhrendur have the touch/ability to turn a pouch of gold drachmas into a chest full of gold drachmas. The KoJ usurpation was about controlling the tourist/pilgrim drachmas.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Definitely like these additional contextual comments. Thanks for these.

My last playing before computer crash
Sorry to hear about this! Your computer or the computer that @KiratRawr uses for that AAR? Either way, a horrible outcome.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Definitely like these additional contextual comments. Thanks for these.

Sorry to hear about this! Your computer or the computer that @KiratRawr uses for that AAR? Either way, a horrible outcome.
My computer died. The AAR will end in Feb1439 not Jan1453. We have 1425 trip to HRE, death of Vukasin and Dmitar ten year. All will be two parters.

I need to have a conversation with King Þ. I am playing a goof game (no note-taking) and am the King of Éire with tanistry succession (any member of dynasty can be elected). When King Art was elected, he had four children but they had a extra sibling that claimed to be my HALF-BROTHER. I investigated and found that my dear father had been laying eggs in my hen house. (Basileus Vukasin is snickering.) That may be the worst HALF-BROTHER.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Captain A finds Admiral @Bullfilter at the rail and asks if anything is wrong. @Bullfilter responds that his tummy is producing higher waves than the Sea of Marmara.
That would be about right!
My last playing before computer crash
My computer died. The AAR will end in Feb1439 not Jan1453
Wait, what!? Oh no :eek: No game saves etc on a separate save media? Or was it screenshots lost? Anyway, it happens to us all at some point - but so close to the end :(

• 1Love
Reactions:
My computer died. The AAR will end in Feb1439 not Jan1453. We have 1425 trip to HRE, death of Vukasin and Dmitar ten year. All will be two parters.
Wait, what!? Oh no :eek: No game saves etc on a separate save media? Or was it screenshots lost? Anyway, it happens to us all at some point - but so close to the end :(
This is sad news indeed. I echo the sentiments of @Bullfilter . This is a reminder to me to pull out the external drive and do that chore. (And no guarantees there. I've had many an external drive die too.)
I need to have a conversation with King Þ. I am playing a goof game (no note-taking) and am the King of Éire with tanistry succession (any member of dynasty can be elected). When King Art was elected, he had four children but they had a extra sibling that claimed to be my HALF-BROTHER. I investigated and found that my dear father had been laying eggs in my hen house. (Basileus Vukasin is snickering.) That may be the worst HALF-BROTHER.
As you wish... King Þorolfr is here for the requested consultation...

King-Half-Brother.png
Not sure what King Þ would do in a similar situation. Luckily he doesn't have that issue (although he has quite a few others). However, his father was well known to play in other people's hen houses, and if he was still alive, well, then, who knows? Anyway, agreeing King Art definitely has a worse half-brother than King Þ.

King-Enough-Original.png
Well, it appears I have revealed too much and touched a nerve with the king. Hopefully, your interactions with him in my AAR (or elsewhere) will be fruitful and productive. (Or is that improper phrasing given the topic of raided hen houses?)

• 2Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
@Bullfilter and @Chac1, thank you for your commiseration. I am counting this as a win. The two ways to lose are to lose your titles or have a non-dynasty member inherit. I was too big with too much money and too strong of a liege to lose in fourteen years (slightly less). As to inheritance, I do not project losing out in the fourteen years. Dmitar had three sons and two daughters, but no grandchildren. Dmitar is young enough to live until 1453. Two sons are married to older women who are beyond child-bearing, with the third in a holy order. The oldest daughter is married to a son of Sarigha Agai, while he carries the name Agai, his DNA is probably Progonovic. The youngest daughter is still a child.
1439 is not even my closest game. My first complete (had tried a few and quit) game ended in 1452 with my young lord dying without issue. The two lessons that I learned was DO NOT chase genetics and that I could play the game (maybe not well but good enough to have fun). From Avon, I have started looking at top twenty-one (Paradox probably financed CK with Black-Jack winnings) instead of only top five and keeping focuses that AI have chosen (trying to role-play more). Also, I am ready to move on when I have the next three chapters done.
The King Art game had two very unusual entrants in twenty-one. Egypt had become a Catholic theocracy. One King-Bishop had even become Pope and excommunicated his Egyptian successor. The Knight Hospitallers had reached top twenty-one from a Tripoli (Lebanon) base that went east and south into the Arabian Peninsula. Two of our friends were in top twenty-one from unusual locations. @Bullfilter (Rurikid) had two (typical overachieving) slots, the Kingdom of England the Kingdom of Hungary. @Superstorm (Gryftia) was ruling the Kingdom of Denmark (sorry @Chac1).
Basileus Vukasin wants to know if Art's father was a genius (quick and so was Art) how did he get caught in his son's henhouse.

• 2Like
Reactions:
@Superstorm (Gryftia) was ruling the Kingdom of Denmark (sorry @Chac1).
Oh well, you can't have everything. I'm the relative newcomer in these parts and I bow to seniority. Maybe if Sweden or Norway are available I can have one of those in your next round of gaming? ;) :cool:

• 1Love
Reactions:
Wonder what I saw int he catacombs. Sorry for your technical issues. I am having some of my own.
Thank you for your support. How are your issues coming along? I told @HistoryDude, that even though Vukasin was Serbian and not Byzantine, that he was probably using blinding/castration. But on second thought, the Progonovic family has an aversion to blinding as the family patriarch, Count Progon, was blinded. Vukasin would probably go for creating eunuchs, removing digits and psychological torture. Count Progon's blinding was senseless. He was rebelling against his duchess and he was captured by someone rebelling against the Basileus. It was already -99 against the rebel at capture -100 at blinding. I guess that the rebel wanted one last moment. The Empire would call Progon to duty even after blinding and he would arrive with a seeing-eye horse and a white-tipped sword. He would get sent home and then recalled in a wonderful cycle. I do not know if was for comedic purposes or poor Byzantine record-keeping.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Oh well, you can't have everything. I'm the relative newcomer in these parts and I bow to seniority. Maybe if Sweden or Norway are available I can have one of those in your next round of gaming? ;) :cool:
Norway always go to @Nikolai as he is Norwegian. Your Norse little brother (EU4) @Bergil gets Sweden. You do have to share Denmark with @Peter Ebbesen, but you can have Finland, Lapland and Estonia. @Superstorm only got that realm because it was Gryftia dynasty. The only two dynasties that I know are Gryftia and Rurikid (@Bullfilter ) My 1250 check in my most recent game (1204 county of Gallura) had a very interesting Denmark in the high teens. Queen @Chac1 of Denmark was one place behind her husband, King @Nikolai of Norway. Before we get excited about little NicChacs ruling the northlands, both countries were elective. By 1275, Norway was out of the twenty-one and Quen Chac1 had died in her twenties and King Chac2 was a German stooge. A very aggressive HRE had claimed both Denmark and Hungary. Also in 1250, Countess @Superstorm of Stolp was your vassal and my wife (Duke @Midnite Duke of Faiyum).

The Gallura game is the first time that I have switched realms after crusading and I have done it twice in first eighty years. County of Gallura to Duchy of Faiyum to Kingdom of Kazaria.

Thank you for following.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: