Ask Paradox (almost) Anything Thread (no support/tech or code questions)

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Please note: I suggested a couple of dozen pages back in this very thread, that the solution to the map problem would be creating map 'nodes', which would be particles that made up provinces, essentially allowing the game to alter the sizes and shapes of provinces over the cause of the game. I also suggested that in extreme situations, the player himself could alter the shape/size of a province.

I believe that AGEOD are putting together their own version of this that will cover multiple games in the period say after the 30 years war potentially to the modern era. The idea is to break Europe into very small map portions that make sense in terms of likely game geography (ie rivers on the edge, dominant terrain type etc) which can then be combined to generate the province density needed for a particular game and onto which can be overlaid the human/changing aspects (roads, settlements etc) as needed.

The problem even with this is if you take the Rome-HOI3 period, even in Europe geography has moved (rivers, coastlines etc) so even that approach to developing a base generic map becomes more complex.

In truth, none of the Paradox games end up with a end-world akin to what had happened in 1453/1821/1936/1948 (nor should they), and a larger problem is that inevitably the player-nation is much more powerful than its historic counterpart at the end. Thus a number of the succession AARs that have spanned the non-Rome part of the franchise need to build in challenges to keep any interest ongoing (as well as often see the player acting with an awful lot of restraint). The other likely consequence is you end up with a game closer in concept to Civilisation than anything in the main Paradox franchise?

I believe that AGEOD are putting together their own version of this that will cover multiple games in the period say after the 30 years war potentially to the modern era. The idea is to break Europe into very small map portions that make sense in terms of likely game geography (ie rivers on the edge, dominant terrain type etc) which can then be combined to generate the province density needed for a particular game and onto which can be overlaid the human/changing aspects (roads, settlements etc) as needed.

The problem even with this is if you take the Rome-HOI3 period, even in Europe geography has moved (rivers, coastlines etc) so even that approach to developing a base generic map becomes more complex.

Let's not kid ourselves, maps are never perfect. Not even actual maps, but I think the tolerance level to map inaccuracies are much higher when it comes to games. But if you really wanted to talk about map alterations based on human interference with rivers (such as dams) and coastlines (such as levies), you could do something like this:

attachment.php

But I think that might be pushing it into game complexity for the sake of realism. We might also consider what will slow down the game and make it unbearable.

In truth, none of the Paradox games end up with a end-world akin to what had happened in 1453/1821/1936/1948 (nor should they), and a larger problem is that inevitably the player-nation is much more powerful than its historic counterpart at the end. Thus a number of the succession AARs that have spanned the non-Rome part of the franchise need to build in challenges to keep any interest ongoing (as well as often see the player acting with an awful lot of restraint). The other likely consequence is you end up with a game closer in concept to Civilisation than anything in the main Paradox franchise?

I like those AARs, because they are not just min-maxing the game. Some people have pointed out dubious actions or restraints I have taken in my Ulm AAR, but I did those purposefully, because I was not trying to do a WC with vassals, but trying to play a fun game. (I should totally get back to doing that AAR.)

Attachments

• node-combined.png
    node-combined.png
    15,4 KB · Views: 607
This is interesting gentleman but not within the scope of this thread, more appropriate for a new thread or in the thread I linked to above. Thanks.

This is interesting gentleman but not within the scope of this thread, more appropriate for a new thread or in the thread I linked to above. Thanks.
I'll move this discussion over to another new topic, but my real question was: if someone comes up with a good concept for this, would you be likely to do it (of course if it would end up more profitable).
I mean it could be a whole new franchise, being the first of its kind it could attract more attention to your company.
(Rise of Nations, while awesome, doesn't really count since it resembles total war more combined with age of empires and was very basic compared to your games)

Here is the new topic about the concept of a complete game:
http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?621418-Terra-Aeternalis-The-story-of-Earth

Last edited:
Now that we are in late middle to late July, any hints as to what the new game Paradox is working on is about?
Can't blame me for trying, I am more of a EU III, CK, Vic, and EU Rome than a HOI player( I own all of those),
and I am hoping for a game that comes from those Eras or before.

Now that we are in late middle to late July, any hints as to what the new game Paradox is working on is about?
Can't blame me for trying, I am more of a EU III, CK, Vic, and EU Rome than a HOI player( I own all of those),
and I am hoping for a game that comes from those Eras or before.

It's a slow week, I'm bored and feel generous - so - ready? PDS next game will include the following:

History
Strategy
Tooltips
Events
A huge ass map.

Also I feel trolly today -especially when folks ask questions they know they wont get answers to :)

You have to wait for Gamescom - we won't disappoint!

/shams

It's a slow week, I'm bored and feel generous - so - ready? PDS next game will include the following:

History
Strategy
Tooltips
Events
A huge ass map.

That's pretty much every PDS game, isn't it?

History
Strategy
Tooltips
Events
A huge ass map.

Also I feel trolly today -especially when folks ask questions they know they wont get answers to :)

/shams

I wouldn't trust this guy if I were you. Notice how he lacks the "Paradox Dev team".

Mind you, I'm not saying he's wrong or right, just that you can't rely on the statement being true.

I wouldn't trust this guy if I were you. Notice how he lacks the "Paradox Dev team".

Mind you, I'm not saying he's wrong or right, just that you can't rely on the statement being true.
Just make sure you don't get fired or nothin' :p

No, but he might be best friends with someone ;)

He is only good friends with me, and we are not that good friends. I have no idea how he got hired.

Question for developers: How did Shams get hired? Is it plausible you were all drunk on Danish beer?

He is only good friends with me, and we are not that good friends. I have no idea how he got hired.

Question for developers: How did Shams get hired? Is it plausible you were all drunk on Danish beer?
Now I'm getting curious myself :p

History
Strategy
Tooltips
Events
A huge ass map.

/shams

Awesome; I've always wanted an enlightening game describing the entire history of Precision Drilling Corporation and its facilities in astounding detail.

Awesome; I've always wanted an enlightening game describing the entire history of Precision Drilling Corporation and its facilities in astounding detail.

I love that C and S are the same letter in English.

I love that C and S are the same letter in English.
Hmm, my sources and brain lied to me. Excuse me while I lop my head off with a mullet.