Ask Paradox (almost) Anything Thread (no support/tech or code questions)

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Showing developer posts only. Show all posts in this thread.
Reactions:
Reactions:
What are some specifics on Paradox Interactive as a company? (Total Number of Employees, Average Time of the Work Week, etc.)

The development team is 12 people, and since we're in sweden its a 40 hour workweek.

Reactions:
1) Are there any plans for an amendment to the game icon/registration system, so it would include ALL Paradox releases? I was thinking along the lines of ALL the Complete packs, EU1 and 2, Asian chapters, even titles as old as Svea Rike or that cool Airfix Dogfighter (wow...the memories :)).

no. as we can't really print codes and go back in time to put on boxes.

2) Shouldn't there be some kind of recognition of the input provided by long time members of the forum, especially since we passed the 200K milestone? I have been here for nine years and there are people here that were already board veterans then ! I am not talking about discounts or anything, just an icon would be appreciated, maybe when the board gets to complete a decade of existence ?
Thanks for your time, and i hope the dragon is not too angry with me :) These questions mean well :)

Well, you do have the spiffy "join date" clearly visible besides all your posts to invoke fear and respect. I'm not saying never, but it not something we have planned.

When will we have Crusader K--- nah, that'd be asking for it.

If you had the resources of a developer like, say, Blizzard, and could make any game that you'd want, for a moment disregarding if it'd be profitable, what game would you make?

I'd like to make an EU-style game on a "Microsoft Surface" :)

And a question i meant to ask ever since EU1... What is your favorite non-Paradox strategy title? Dare i hope Civilization?

I honestly don't know.

Storm Across Europe
Civilization 1
Starcraft

are the games I've played by far the most.

What was it like being offered a job with Paradox? How exactly did it happen?

I had an insider. My friend Tom Söderlund showed me the ad on the forum. He might even have put in a good word for me, I'm not sure. Must ask!
I sent in my application and since I worked in the same building at the time I could come up for an interview about 30 minutes later IIRC. From there it was a rather quick process and then I started working here around the time of the HoI3 release. It was a fantastic feeling to get this job. It contains so many things I like. I get to help people on this forum, fiddle around with computer hardware and more and I'm learning stuff every day I work here. That is very important to me, not to stagnate.

Is there a game made by another company you wish you would have made?

I dunno, maybe something that sold lots and lots of copies, and made its creators rich.

Do you think you will ever make a game completely different from what you've done so far?

Probably someday. Diplomacy was a radically different game.

How many times have you killed the Lich King Johan? Also I'd like to see your's main armory, but this request may make that Dragon a bit nervous.

I never killed the Lich King.. I stopped raiding really about when Ulduar got out (Hoi3 crunch ftw), and I don't play WoW actively anymore.

have you anytime think about to make a game like EU but which is containing the whole time line of hunam history like civilization eg?

Not sure it would be a good game unless you made it on the abstracted level that Civ did. And then, why make a copy of one of the greatest game-series ever made.

Reactions:
Ever started on a game and thought "actually, this is unworkable" halfway through? I'd imagine with a project so complex as building a game that could be a danger

yes, and then we reworked it. CK and Hoi2 was two such projects.

*putting on an asbestos suit*

Since the current Paradox games cover significant parts of history, are there some (perhaps still unclear) intentions to... I don't know... include other time periods? Like the barbarian kingdoms of early middle ages? Or maybe focusing specifically on some time period done in other games, but not as well as you think it can be done? (american/french revolution)

:)