Ask Paradox (almost) Anything Thread (no support/tech or code questions)

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Will paradox ever attempt a foray into the BattleTech/MechWarrior intellectual property? I'm specifically thinking you guys should do a remake of the ancient Succession Wars table top game:

succession-wars.jpg

Shams, could you explain what you mean about Steam and these laws you speak of? (Or, perhaps, link me to the appropriate reading material).

Shams, could you explain what you mean about Steam and these laws you speak of? (Or, perhaps, link me to the appropriate reading material).

Swedish consumer laws states for instance that you have 2 week grace period to regret your purchase of goods online. This is naturally entirely ignored by steam - try contacting their support and get them to refund you after a week and see how that goes. UK consumer law is pretty generous as well but largely ignored.

There are numerous cases on the steam forums where people lament Steams position on the matter.

Sorry don't have any firmer case than that.

I'll make a point of asking Steam about it when I talk to them next week.

/s

Ah, I see what you mean now; yeah, Steam don't do refunds under any circumstances as far as I'm aware.

Somewhat more egregiously, they also reserve the right to ban/delete your Steam account for any reason they so choose. A friend of mine (somewhat younger than I, and admittedly a bit of a moron at times) had his account deleted without warning or confirmation -- losing access to around thirty games he'd paid for.

Somewhat more egregiously, they also reserve the right to ban/delete your Steam account for any reason they so choose. A friend of mine (somewhat younger than I, and admittedly a bit of a moron at times) had his account deleted without warning or confirmation -- losing access to around thirty games he'd paid for.

This got me thinking...If this happened to me (It happened with my bnet account stating that I was a WoW gold seller, when I wasnt even using my bnet account at the time, reason why I no longer support blizzard) Is there a way for me to redeem my already registered Pdox games?
Has anyone contacted you guys with a similar issue?
Given the fact that as far as personal experience and a bit of web searching, Steam support is just plain useless...

This got me thinking...If this happened to me (It happened with my bnet account stating that I was a WoW gold seller, when I wasnt even using my bnet account at the time, reason why I no longer support blizzard) Is there a way for me to redeem my already registered Pdox games?
Has anyone contacted you guys with a similar issue?
Given the fact that as far as personal experience and a bit of web searching, Steam support is just plain useless...

No - our system doesn't support any kind of redeem feature - it's essentially just a proof of purchase in order to receive a shiny icon and support. Ideally this could be added down the line - but that's when we're selling games to you directly.

Steam support isn't useless - it's just a bit slow and ponderous.

/s

Plethora of Paradox Games Bundle.

Tried to buy. Amazon doesn't ley me because I'm a European customer.

Is that for real ? I mean a very good offer made for peoples downloading from the USA only ? Or did I miss how to order it from Europe ?

Thank you for claryfing that issue.

Plethora of Paradox Games Bundle.

Tried to buy. Amazon doesn't ley me because I'm a European customer.

Is that for real ? I mean a very good offer made for peoples downloading from the USA only ? Or did I miss how to order it from Europe ?

Thank you for claryfing that issue.

Correct. US only.

Shams, do you have a day off tomorrow or what time do you guys start working? I'm quessing you don't have to be at the office six o'clock tomorrow as you're online so late. ;)

Keep in mind that I do not believe that the ruling says we cannot provide additional services or products free of charge to original purchasers.
Since you do not need our forum codes to play the game as purchased, selling your game does not mean we would need to "unregister" the game here and allow a second registration. So the ruling does not necessarily affect the forums as much as it does on line retailer.

If you buy a new car and the dealer gives you a cookie for free if you also enroll in his newsletter, if you then sell the car the person buying it does not gain access to the newsletter (or the cookie) as well, only the car. (That analogy sounded better in my head before I wrote it down :) )

Which is not to say we will not look into it, I just don't think that ruling requires us to.

Shams, do you have a day off tomorrow or what time do you guys start working? I'm quessing you don't have to be at the office six o'clock tomorrow as you're online so late. ;)

General office hours at PDX are 9-17. We in publishing generally have more lax hours as many of us are essentially always "on duty". Additionally for me personally both Fred (CEO), Andras (CFO) and most producers are away this week so im not exactly drowning in work.

Finally - I seldom sleep more than 6 hours.

/shams - working on his iPad on the train on his way to the office.

Keep in mind that I do not believe that the ruling says we cannot provide additional services or products free of charge to original purchasers.
Since you do not need our forum codes to play the game as purchased, selling your game does not mean we would need to "unregister" the game here and allow a second registration. So the ruling does not necessarily affect the forums as much as it does on line retailer.

If you buy a new car and the dealer gives you a cookie for free if you also enroll in his newsletter, if you then sell the car the person buying it does not gain access to the newsletter (or the cookie) as well, only the car. (That analogy sounded better in my head before I wrote it down :) )

Which is not to say we will not look into it, I just don't think that ruling requires us to.

Before i make my case, i would clarify that while the court case was for digitally distributed material - i, on the other hand, am talking about physical copies and the possible forum icon transfer for them:

I personally see technical support equal to warranty (for software). When you buy anything and gift (or resell) it, the right of warranty (that is part of the product) is transferred from one person to another. Why do i see technical support as part of the product ? Your forum is referred in every manual for official patches (and for multiplayer but that's open without the icon). It does say "you can visit our forums". As i understand in it's context it is meant as suggestion (as it's not mandatory) but the way it's written it means also that if you own (hold the license for) the product, you must have the right to do so. The license in manual also states that there is no warranty and the software is leased not sold, but it does not prohibit transferring the leas from one person to another. (Interestingly enough, the same license effectively prohibits any modding.) As i understand, while Paradox holds the rights to copy, but the customer holds the rights to the already existing copy (and everything bound to it - mainly the product serial key and the possible registration it is for).

My question: Is Paradox ever going to consider any possible icon transfer (for games with physical copy at least) ?

While i wasn't thinking about it before, another case that arises from this:

Is Paradox going to consider not banning anyone with registered games and simply taking away their posting ability (for the technical support reasons) ?

Forum access is not a right it is a privilege, it is a service we offer to those that can abide by our very reasonable terms of service, tech support can be accessed outside of the forums and thus is not even an issue.

And maybe people might think about their actions when they know what's at stake.

I would say tech support is something a customer would expect to get here, and certainly modding forum access? Both is not available without a code. This is what puzzled me when I saw the news, as I know those codes are one timers. But I get it that it's perhaps too early to tell just yet.:)

First of all - we love sales - the big secret of digital distribution is that nothing drives sales and increases revenue than a sale and I'm talking about AFTER the sale is over. So yes, our sales dept continuously talk to Steam and plan for sales.

What if you got Armageddon, Doomsday, a few spritepacks every month, the soundtrack (with new bonus tracks), a special forum icon, early access to betas, bonus discounts and other goodies as well?

Would that be worth subscribing to "Paradox Premium"?

/s

All kinds of shiny stuff counts. Ok I do not care for sprites, but early beta access sure would be of interest in principal.
Dice deals out unlocks of weapons for random reasons (making an account at x for example) and ppl gets the weapons so I think PI premium would work. Of course making a release plan for expansions and also give away some of the coming content is a challenge.

Trouble is then you run the risk of flooding betas with people who are less interested in testing and more interesting in freebies.