Ask Paradox (almost) Anything Thread (no support/tech or code questions)

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Here's a question for ya: do the changes to each successive Pdox game act as updates to the Clausewitz engine? And by that logic, can we assume that future Pdox games will have the awesome map of CK2?

Have you ever written an angry email to dice asking them to delete your BF3 account thx to Premium?

I just did.
I <3 Paradox!
Plz, don't ever become like them!

What the heck are you talking about? Premium is great! what's not to like?
Here's a question for ya: do the changes to each successive Pdox game act as updates to the Clausewitz engine? And by that logic, can we assume that future Pdox games will have the awesome map of CK2?

Yes and it will look even better.

/s

/s

Too tired to explain, but this kinda explains it.. But in a... odd way.

[video=youtube;fGuSfbkgmus]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGuSfbkgmus&feature=g-user-u[/video]

No dev response to the 'a Game of Toads' concept I spent an entire 15 minutes drafting up... :mad:

351u1aq.png

I am willing to offer my excellent game-design and product marketing skills to you all, provided you pay me entirely in Pepsi Max (european variation). If you refuse, I will go to another studio, and when 'a Game of Toads' is on all the shelves Paradox will be shaking in their boots! :D

I'm sure Ubisoft is willing to take this on for you... :ja:

No dev response to the 'a Game of Toads' concept I spent an entire 15 minutes drafting up... :mad:

351u1aq.png

I am willing to offer my excellent game-design and product marketing skills to you all, provided you pay me entirely in Pepsi Max (european variation). If you refuse, I will go to another studio, and when 'a Game of Toads' is on all the shelves Paradox will be shaking in their boots! :D

When you play the Game of Toads, you win or you croak.

Too tired to explain, but this kinda explains it.. But in a... odd way.

[video=youtube;fGuSfbkgmus]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGuSfbkgmus&feature=g-user-u[/video]

I don't get it.

/s

it has been a while i played it (lots of potential but it repeats itself too often and runs too slow) but i am relatively certain you can skip all scenes.

You definitely can't. I remember replaying a case and doing the dishes with the cutscenes running in the background. :p

Also, running slow? It's one of the smoother games of its age for me.

Hi, longtime fan here (since EU II)
Longtime lurker, first time poster.
Anyways...here is the thing: I love your games, so Paradox is one of the very few, actually probably the only company I want to support with my hard earned money.
Ive been dying to play CK2 since release but was waiting for a sale, like the one on steam a while back (missed it) or the one currently on amazon (only available in US...)
And steam summer sale is probably just around the corner.
But I dont want to wait no more.
So my question is: If I buy the game at full price, do you get more money out of the sale? I know it's insignificant, but it's just the fact of feeling that Im actually supporting the company which makes the games I love more than the retailers.
So is it the same for you if we pay full price rather than waiting for a sale?

So my question is: If I buy the game at full price, do you get more money out of the sale? I know it's insignificant, but it's just the fact of feeling that Im actually supporting the company which makes the games I love more than the retailers.
So is it the same for you if we pay full price rather than waiting for a sale?

Yes, we get more money at full price.

Yes, we get more money at full price.

Do you have to agree if for example Steam wants to reduce the price of one of your games, for example during a sale action?
Since there are so many online and offline distributors all around the world I can imagine it's hard to keep track of reduced price sales?

Do you have to agree if for example Steam wants to reduce the price of one of your games, for example during a sale action?
Since there are so many online and offline distributors all around the world I can imagine it's hard to keep track of reduced price sales?

Johan has said before that they(pdox) have to agree to a price discount if steam wants a sale. But shams said if the DD store wants to raise the prices above there minimum they can

Close Quarters have actually got a good reception. I was a bit suspicious with the smaller maps, but no it seems to work. I for my part wait for Armored Kill. If Paradox would be like BF3 in the premium respect then HoI2 would have had Armageddon and Doomsday announced after release and the option to buy "premium" to get them both at reduced price when they come out. I could live with that.

How will the recent decision in the EU court that it's perfectly legal for a customer to sell his downloadable game and illegal for the publisher to deny him to stop this, affect you and your current system of registering your games?

I wouldnt be surprised that if this is allowed, we'll see games moving even further into freemium or subscription models.
http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum...-software.&p=14052467&viewfull=1#post14052467
Its going to suck bigtime for consumers, but there is no way in hell publishers would accept a major loss of revenue.

And i got to agree. If income is lowered due to resell, then budgets will drop for the games as well, or you get new ways of monetarization or DRM systems..
http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum...-software.&p=14052685&viewfull=1#post14052685
What I fear though...

The simple fact that downloading games costs money, support costs money and infrastructure costs money..

Which means that those things that now are free will cost money.
http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum...-software.&p=14053127&viewfull=1#post14053127

Ah, Pandemic:
View attachment 57609
I guess there's an Ipad version now?

The iPad version I'm playing is called Plague, Inc and is not from the same developer. Very similar though. Except Madagascar is not crazy paranoid, which is nice. They've updated the interface a bit too.

How will the recent decision in the EU court that it's perfectly legal for a customer to sell his downloadable game and illegal for the publisher to deny him to stop this, affect you and your current system of registering your games?

It is too soon to tell really. I'm curious too.

First of all - we love sales - the big secret of digital distribution is that nothing drives sales and increases revenue than a sale and I'm talking about AFTER the sale is over. So yes, our sales dept continuously talk to Steam and plan for sales.
Close Quarters have actually got a good reception. I was a bit suspicious with the smaller maps, but no it seems to work. I for my part wait for Armored Kill. If Paradox would be like BF3 in the premium respect then HoI2 would have had Armageddon and Doomsday announced after release and the option to buy "premium" to get them both at reduced price when they come out. I could live with that.

What if you got Armageddon, Doomsday, a few spritepacks every month, the soundtrack (with new bonus tracks), a special forum icon, early access to betas, bonus discounts and other goodies as well?

Would that be worth subscribing to "Paradox Premium"?

Steam has been ignoring EU/UK/Swedish consumer law for many years now - so there's no immediate cause for change. I actually checked with our inhouse counsel and what this ruling does it that it opens a door for bigger lawsuit of sorts if Steam (and others including us) refuse to immediately change practices. But this is a process that should take years before it actually becomes reality.

I mean people have been severely pissed at steam for years for ignoring consumer laws - but we've yet to see any change. Somebody has to sue Steam big time and see what happens.

/s