Ask Paradox (almost) Anything Thread (no support/tech or code questions)

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Don't you guys think Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri is wayyyy better than the Civilization franchise and should be revived?

I do.

I loved SMAC/SMAX, but I feel that while the design and premise were much more interesting than CIV, it also had a few major issues. All in all, I'd LOVE to see a reboot of SMAC with the lessons learned from CIV, but it's very unlikely to happen unfortunately.

Don't you guys think Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri is wayyyy better than the Civilization franchise and should be revived?

I do.

I liked the pre-defined factions, the datalinks (what better way to teach political philosophy and scientific principles than to have the classics read off to you while you figure out how to adapt a new piece of technology?), and the little details (like when you hit exit and you get the unforgettable "Please don't go. The drones need you. They look up to you."). Despite my best efforts, "Stop or I'll have you nerve-stapled!" never caught on as an idle threat in American English. :(

Not much, but Medieval2 is the one I've spent most time on. Heavy Cav charges FTW.

Would you be interested in a Kingdoms Grand Campaign (it's a mod) multiplayer hotseat and/or Imperial Splendor Empire:Total War multiplayer campaign (tbh I suck in Imperial Splendor, I feel like the units disobey me, units refuse to fire until the entire unit changes its facing and lines up into neat rows even if facing a cavalry charge and it won't auto-change its facing if you click attack an enemy, medieval 2 did not have this problem)? I play with my (former) roommate currently using Github :D. I'm the New Western Roman Empire (Sicily) and he's the New Eastern Roman Empire (Byzantine) in the longer game, while in the newer I'm France (New Charlemagne Empire) and he's Holy Roman Empire. We usually trade support and stuff (ex. He accidentally peaced with Denmark so I killed it off for him in a Crusade and gifted him the provinces, and then when Spain got uppity and declared war on me with horse archers vs my highest tech peasant archer army he sent some units over to relieve the southern front when the pope sent me a "don't shed any more Spanish blood" mission)

Though I won't be able to play til I go back to California, currently stuck with a netbook overseas.

On another note, has Paradox considered using Kickstarter to fund new games made by new groups (maybe comprised of part-timer dev teams) in order to speed up the development by allowing the hiring of an/more experienced full time developer? Specifically the example of MM comes to mind. I hope Paradox doesn't abandon the idea of allowing former modders to work on games. DH wouldn't exist if Paradox didn't give the DH team a chance. :)

Last edited:
As you guys are in Sweden, I'd imagine some of you are hockey fans?

1. Which is your favorite hockey team (in NHL and Swedish leagues)?
2. Who are you rooting for in the current Stanley Cup finals?

I don't really follow NHL anymore but I think it's pretty cool that Martin Brodeur at the age of 40 helped take his team to the finals. In the Swedish league it's AIK, and I usually go to 8-10 games a season.

1. Djurgården, Vancouver Canucks
2. Well I have to root for the Devils since they are the current underdog ;-)

Will there be a special Sweden add on pack to HoI3?

Within which Swedish troops can fly, produce very efficient IKEA furniture and subjugate Europe through winning the Eurovision with ABBA records.

And make their Swedish meatballs a strategic resource?

That actually makes me think of a question for the Swedish PI peoples:
Do you guys really eat fishpaste? Like is it a common occurrence for Scandinavians to eat that stuff? I was at Ikea a few months ago and found some and bought it for lawlz (it reminded me of Spongebob) and its actually not too bad when mixed with the right foods. But most people think its a pretty weird thing to be eating.

1. Vancouver Canucks
2. the Devils since they are the current underdog ;-)

Uh oh, Canucks and Devils. We might have some problems then.

How 'bout this: if you drop the Canucks for the Kings I'll support Djurgården over AIK every year.

Last edited:

1. AIK and Devils, although I haven't really followed NHL the last 10 years. I was quite fanatic in the late 90's though.
2. See 1 :)

How do you lot expect Sweden to do in Euro 2012?

My guess is 3rd in the group. Best case scenario we go to quarter final and are knocked out by Italy there :)

This is to BjornB mainly. Can you take a look over at the MMtG forums? I think the debacle there reflects very badly on the team and community, and as a result, also on you as a company. And I don't like that.:(

This is to BjornB mainly. Can you take a look over at the MMtG forums? I think the debacle there reflects very badly on the team and community, and as a result, also on you as a company. And I don't like that.:(

It is a dark period in the plaza history indeed. I am doing my best to keep up with the development of this monster of a thread, but it is not my place to censor peoples opinions as long as they do not violate any national or forum laws. The lid was removed from the can of worms so now we can only try to endure the storm pouring out of it and try to learn from mistakes made.

It is a dark period in the plaza history indeed. I am doing my best to keep up with the development of this monster of a thread, but it is not my place to censor peoples opinions as long as they do not violate any national or forum laws. The lid was removed from the can of worms so now we can only try to endure the storm pouring out of it and try to learn from mistakes made.

you seem as good a person to ask as any

is that announcement a sign of a new "policy", at least on the forums? I can see both sides of the coin as it were, and just wonder wither its a response to stuff like the SOTS2 release *shivers* and the backlash to that.

or is it a one off due to the apparent interest in that game and the nature of its development (such as its closeness to release).