Ask Paradox (almost) Anything Thread (no support/tech or code questions)

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
What feature would you most like to implement in one of your games that current hardware makes impossible?

To put it another way, if you were programming for a PC 10-20 years in the future, what would you do that you cannot do now?

When will we have Crusader K--- nah, that'd be asking for it.

If you had the resources of a developer like, say, Blizzard, and could make any game that you'd want, for a moment disregarding if it'd be profitable, what game would you make?

I'd like to make an EU-style game on a "Microsoft Surface" :)

no. as we can't really print codes and go back in time to put on boxes.

Thanks for the speedy answers Johan...Just a follow-up clarification if you don't mind. When talking about recent releases like Vicky and CK complete, doesn't this omission reduce the commercial appeal of the retail version in comparison to split up digital purchases?
And a question i meant to ask ever since EU1... What is your favorite non-Paradox strategy title? Dare i hope Civilization?

where can i find those hidden games you have been talking about:D preferably HOI3 or a code for EU3 complete?(i bought my game off a friend) or does that not count as a question?

I'd also love to know which is your faveourite AAR

And a question i meant to ask ever since EU1... What is your favorite non-Paradox strategy title? Dare i hope Civilization?

I honestly don't know.

Storm Across Europe
Civilization 1
Starcraft

are the games I've played by far the most.

What was it like being offered a job with Paradox? How exactly did it happen?

I had an insider. My friend Tom Söderlund showed me the ad on the forum. He might even have put in a good word for me, I'm not sure. Must ask!
I sent in my application and since I worked in the same building at the time I could come up for an interview about 30 minutes later IIRC. From there it was a rather quick process and then I started working here around the time of the HoI3 release. It was a fantastic feeling to get this job. It contains so many things I like. I get to help people on this forum, fiddle around with computer hardware and more and I'm learning stuff every day I work here. That is very important to me, not to stagnate.

I had an insider. My friend Tom Söderlund showed me the ad on the forum. He might even have put in a good word for me, I'm not sure. Must ask!
I sent in my application and since I worked in the same building at the time I could come up for an interview about 30 minutes later IIRC. From there it was a rather quick process and then I started working here around the time of the HoI3 release. It was a fantastic feeling to get this job. It contains so many things I like. I get to help people on this forum, fiddle around with computer hardware and more and I'm learning stuff every day I work here. That is very important to me, not to stagnate.

Huh, I hadn't realised you were that new!

Do you think you will ever make a game completely different from what you've done so far?

*putting on an asbestos suit*

Since the current Paradox games cover significant parts of history, are there some (perhaps still unclear) intentions to... I don't know... include other time periods? Like the barbarian kingdoms of early middle ages? Or maybe focusing specifically on some time period done in other games, but not as well as you think it can be done? (american/french revolution)

Last edited:
Anyone at PI: Any chance you might make a late-Roman Empire game, dealing with the splitting of the country, the eventual fall of the West and the prospering and then decline of the Eastern half? It could even have an end date of 1453 so it fits nicely with EUIII.

If you could get your hands on a license regarding any movie or book franchise, with a view to making grand strategy games, what franchise would you most like to get hold of (e.g. Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, etc.)?

Do you like rock? If you do, could you suggest me any swedish group that sings in swedish? I've always been curious about hearing good music in foreign laguages.:p

For the veteran members of Paradox: How much related was the growth of the Company with Internet? I mean mainly, the use of GG to make your products reach consumers that the retail box couldn't reach. My first contact was with EUII, which I found in the "cheap ol' greats" section of a PC shop, when you were already developing EUIII. I still have the box, and the game was published by Ubisoft (at least in Spain). PI has grown at an exponencial rate since then, right? Since now you're publishing third party games and all that.

Sincere congratulations.

Could you provide some background info on yourselves? E.g. hometown, age, education, etc etc; whatever you feel like sharing!